• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Emily Chu

Banned
If you buy the phone at full price, you don't renew or extend your contract. However, this doesn't matter since you can't upgrade period without losing unlimited data. There is a trick to working around this but it requires a line on your account which has an available upgrade and for you to already have a 4G LTE device. What you do is get the phone at the upgrade price on the other line, and then take your existing 4G LTE SIM out of your current phone and stick it in the new phone and then it works and you can pay the upgrade price. It's like an upgrade stealth-transfer and from what I'm told VZW lets you do this.

gonna do this soon since I just got the phone

it should work right ?

swap out the sim in the gnex and slip it in the note II ?

and I keep my number and unlimited data right ?

Emily Chu

Banned
anyone else getting shitty flash performace on

ahem

Xhamster's HD flash videos ?

they worked perfect on my Galaxy Nexus on 4.1.1 with the flash apk

now there choppy and slow and stutters ?

wtf ?

gonna do this soon since I just got the phone

it should work right ?

swap out the sim in the gnex and slip it in the note II ?

and I keep my number and unlimited data right ?

if you haven't already, don't forget about the removing of the data on the other line.

if you have, then all i gotta say is ... BALLIN'!

iJuOrcyyk0gp8.gif

Emily Chu

Banned
if you haven't already, don't forget about the removing of the data on the other line.

if you have, then all i gotta say is ... BALLIN'!

iJuOrcyyk0gp8.gif

I think I gotta go to my grandmas house to turn off her "note II"

and then switch back on her dumbphone via *228 and then I can just go online to kill dat 29.99$ data plan

I am sorta concerned about this

Xhamster HD video stuttery, slow mess though

but other wise BallIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and even more ballin when this shit gets a unlocked bootloader this wednesday

1lffT.gif

is the premium suite upgrade for galaxy s3 coming to note 2 also or does the note 2 already has the features?

most of the Premium Suite upgrades are already in the Note 2, and i assume the rest will be made available in an update.

edit: aaaaannnndddd

Android 4.1.2 – JZO54K
New Additions in Notifcation Toggles
Notification Panel can now be customized
Brightness Slider in Notification Panel Can Now Be Disabled
Multi-View Can now be disabled
Browser Is Smoother Then Before
Status Bar has been changed from Grey to Black
Continues Input in Samsung Keyboard (Like Swipe or Android 4.2 Keyboard)
New Ink Effect On Lockscreen
New Group Cast Application

http://phandroid.com/2012/12/11/galaxy-note-2-ota-upgrade/

the bolded should be nice! some of this stuff was already in the US 4.1.1 updates, but it looks like the rest of the cool stuff is on the way!

How much smoother can the Browser get? It's already bordering on desktop-class performance on this thing.

Looking forward to installing it on my bootloader-unlocked VZW GNII. Adam Outler announced on his G+ that they are go for release tomorrow.

edit: Okay, I can think of one thing the Browser can do better, and it applies to GAF especially - animated GIFs. Of course this is a WebKit problem, since Chrome and Safari both have the same issue. There's nothing Samsung can do about that. I don't know if anyone who maintains WebKit will ever care enough to fix it.

How much smoother can the Browser get? It's already bordering on desktop-class performance on this thing.

Looking forward to installing it on my bootloader-unlocked VZW GNII. Adam Outler announced on his G+ that they are go for release tomorrow.

that should be sweet! well, assuming nothing too inconvenient is involved...

Ocho

So I lost 10% of battery overnight (8 hours aprox.) while the phone was on block mode and not being used at all. I notice some wake activity during that period, 17 instances of wake to be exact.

Unfortunately, I don't have root in my phone (yet) so I can't install betterybatterystats to figure the culprit, so I've decided to disable all samsung apps that I'm not using.

Found two lists for anyone interested:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqTvctlW89DtdC1qVUlLeVFTV3ZOdUtDclpBdVRQOUE&pli=1#gid=0

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...1gdDJRekl4QmkyNmIzUmRvX2h3UDVkQXc&output=html

Then again, my phone is at 6% with 23h on battery, and 6h of screen use. That's decent enough.

Emily Chu

Banned
okay imported everything from my old phone to my new one

oh wow it just works with the old sim card !!

how do you use 3G mode only ?

Emily Chu

Banned
You'll never need to use 3G ever again.

well it seems wasteful to me.... if I'm just browsing forums

but I guess the battery is built to last even with 4G in mind : P

since it killed my Gnex battery like a every minute the battery went down by one percent
and my fuck I can't kill this thing.....

wait you can't use 3G right even though I wouldn't want to.....

IhSiYl.jpg

cqPFSl.jpg

YFR02l.jpg

VZCBKl.jpg

also some pics

my fuck I love this thing

GOOD BYE Gnex AND GOOD RIDDANCE

I want this phone so bad. Don't get me wrong, my EVO 3D is not a bad phone but i miss having a stylus (palm centro). Plus the battery is a beast.

I have my 2-year upgrade in April. Should i wait for the Note III or just get this phone in April?

I'm now beginning the process of unlocking the bootloader on my Verizon Galaxy Note II. I'm either going to have a $760 brick, or a phone with an unlocked bootloader and TWRP Recovery. May God have mercy on my soul, because Adam Outler certainly won't if I fuck this up.

I want this phone so bad. Don't get me wrong, my EVO 3D is not a bad phone but i miss having a stylus (palm centro). Plus the battery is a beast.

I have my 2-year upgrade in April. Should i wait for the Note III or just get this phone in April?

Go to the nearest Sprint store and say: "Hi there, Sir/Madam. I'm going to walk away and go to Verizon unless you give me an early upgrade. I'm prepared to pay the $50 (LOL) early termination fee. I'm ready to do business."

They'll give you your early upgrade, and you can get yourself a Note II.

Emily Chu

Banned
I'm now beginning the process of unlocking the bootloader on my Verizon Galaxy Note II. I'm either going to have a $760 brick, or a phone with an unlocked bootloader and TWRP Recovery. May God have mercy on my soul, because Adam Outler certainly won't if I fuck this up.

Go to the nearest Sprint store and say: "Hi there, Sir/Madam. I'm going to walk away and go to Verizon unless you give me an early upgrade. I'm prepared to pay the $50 (LOL) early termination fee. I'm ready to do business."

I'd paid 325$ for mines and I'm patiently waiting for a automated toolkit to come out and for the roms to start cooking.

I would never forgive myself if I bricked this.... shit.....
I got it rooted and odined a customized stock rom though
the only one at XDA atm.

I'd paid 325$ for mines and I'm patiently waiting for a automated toolkit to come out and for the roms to start cooking.

I would never forgive myself if I bricked this.... shit.....
I got it rooted and odined a customized stock rom though
the only one at XDA atm.

I am even afraid to root it to get Google Wallet running.

Lame. I know the phone hacking community is primarily Linux-based but not testing your fucking unlocking app in Windows is fucking retarded. The app hangs in Windows right now. My phone isn't bricked or anything but I don't want to restore my app and data until after I finish the unlock so I don't have to waste time restoring repeatedly.

Emily Chu

Banned
Lame. I know the phone hacking community is primarily Linux-based but not testing your fucking unlocking app in Windows is fucking retarded. The app hangs in Windows right now. My phone isn't bricked or anything but I don't want to restore my app and data until after I finish the unlock so I don't have to waste time restoring repeatedly.

this sounds like some scary shit...

good luck.

I was wary as fuck when he demo it on a VM on linux running windows

tell us how it goes....

Unfortunately, i'm on SERO premium so they'll probably be happy if i cancel the contract with sprint ;b

this sounds like some scary shit...

good luck.

I was wary as fuck when he demo it on a VM on linux running windows

tell us how it goes....

All done!

The problem was Adam Outler not realizing that you can name a file or folder with a leading period (".CASUAL") in Linux, but not in Windows. He made a simple correction to his app to remove the leading period and it works! I have now unlocked my Verizon Galaxy Note II and can flash anything I want from TWRP Recovery! SUCK IT VERIZON!

Verizon
suck it

well it seems wasteful to me.... if I'm just browsing forums

but I guess the battery is built to last even with 4G in mind : P

since it killed my Gnex battery like a every minute the battery went down by one percent
and my fuck I can't kill this thing.....

wait you can't use 3G right even though I wouldn't want to.....

http://i.imgur.com/IhSiYl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cqPFSl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YFR02l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VZCBKl.jpg

also some pics

my fuck I love this thing

GOOD BYE Gnex AND GOOD RIDDANCE
DAT SIXTY FOUR GEE BEES

1VJyXl.png

^^^this.^^^

and also call Sprint and maybe get a billing discount to ease the pain.

Unfortunately, i'm on SERO premium so they'll probably be happy if i cancel the contract with sprint ;b
even if you're on SERO, they still may let you pay out the ETF. all you can do is try!

Tee hee, my first night with unlocked Galaxy Note II has already been an enjoyable one! :D

awesome!

So I jumped in and upgraded my S2 to the Note 2, and despite only being about a year and a half apart techwise, it still feels like a substantial upgrade. Loving it so far, the stylus is nice to have to doodle when bored (any drawing apps like take advantage of the pressure-sensitivity? So far I'm using Sketchbook Pro and it doesn't, otherwise it works great).

I've ordered this case here: Click in black. Comes with a slim case, as well, for when I don't need to leather case.

Everyone whose seen my phone since I got it has remarked on it, and most seem impressed (Lots of "Holy shit, that is huge!" comments).

chrislowe

I have never used a case on any mobilephone, and not on my Note 2 either.

Maybe i will get the flipcover, cause i like the design :)

I saw 4.1.2 is out, but my phone says im on the latest version 4.1.1 :(

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have never used a case on any mobilephone, and not on my Note 2 either.

Maybe i will get the flipcover, cause i like the design :)

I saw 4.1.2 is out, but my phone says im on the latest version 4.1.1 :(

I like tpu cases so you can put your phone face down on a table with no worries. And they are slim enough.

adelante

Beginning to not like my flipcase since it's become a lil bit of a hassle when taking photos. Gonna be looking for a normal case soon!

JoseDFrog

Banned
All done!

The problem was Adam Outler not realizing that you can name a file or folder with a leading period (".CASUAL") in Linux, but not in Windows. He made a simple correction to his app to remove the leading period and it works! I have now unlocked my Verizon Galaxy Note II and can flash anything I want from TWRP Recovery! SUCK IT VERIZON!

Verizon
suck it

So it's safe... I'm still afraid to try

adelante

true, I guess a pouch thingy would be better

Something like THIS, would actually be perfect for me, because with the Note2 being as large as it is, I find myself always carrying it in my hand. A card slot allows me to always have my public transport pass ready without having to whip out my wallet each time I'm taking the train or bus:

I just got my blue Mercury case. It's just about perfect, all the cutouts align perfectly and it fits perfectly snug. Much better than the cheap case I had before.

Annoyed that I have pretty much the first version available in the US (T-Mobile), yet still haven't gotten a multi window update. Just haven't gotten around to rooting it yet, either

Top Bottom