• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Emily Chu

Banned
Well, that way they are still spending $30 extra a month.

I can't see any other option than paying $800.

(I went from $65 a month to $30 a month when I got the note 2 so I didn't mind paying $700 for the phone - I "break even" in a year). Considering you are already on $40 a month I can see how $800 is a lot.

If you went with an upgrade, what would your monthly bill change to?

Not eligible for a upgrade until late 2013
But if I upgrade I lose unlimited 4g with Verizon

Not eligible for a upgrade until late 2013
But if I upgrade I lose unlimited 4g with Verizon

You are stuck then, sorry.

With any good smart phone, you are looking at about $600 (less cost of old phone) while upgrading mid cycle. With this being a slightly more expensive phone and you trying to keep your unlimited 4g, I don't see too many other options.

AlexMogil

Yes there are work arounds. Get a new launcher, try Nova or Apex. You can increase the home screen grid to up to 7x7 with those.

Get Swype or Swiftkey keyboards or the stock Google keyboard apk.

There is a thread on each of the xda forums for each carrier's phone to enable Google wallet.

And there are ways to root and not change anything what about your phone, enabling you to do stuff like edit the build.prop or use a ps3 controller or backup your stuff with Titanium backup.

OK. I haven't rooted it *yet* but I will. I just wanted to see if there were some open alternatives. Thanks for the info!

Ocho

I'm tempted to go Apex or Nova to get the extra grid, but honestly, I'm enjoying smart screens (or whatever it is called) whenever I connect my headphones (now my spotify/Google music/pocket cast widgets don't clutter my homescreens). Any other launcher does this?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm tempted to go Apex or Nova to get the extra grid, but honestly, I'm enjoying smart screens (or whatever it is called) whenever I connect my headphones (now my spotify/Google music/pocket cast widgets don't clutter my homescreens). Any other launcher does this?

Yeah, that's what's holding me back from Apex. Plugging in some headphones and going to Google Music is god-tier

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

What does it do again? Never used the Touchwiz launcher.

DrFunk

What does it do again? Never used the Touchwiz launcher.
qVroy.png

When you plug in some head..whatever, this screen slides into view with the most used apps (and it changes depending on usage)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Buy the phone outright rather than get tied into anything, take good care of it, and play the market game by selling next year when the Note3 arrives, or when a better colour Note 2 pops up.

Galaxy S3's and Note 1's seemed to have been pretty good at retaining their prices.

For those of us on the world's most advanced network, Verizon 4G LTE, I would advise you to point your browsers to XDA Developers on Wednesday for a very important announcement on XDA TV.

Verizon
got pwned

kmfdmpig

For those of us on the world's most advanced network, Verizon 4G LTE, I would advise you to point your browsers to XDA Developers on Wednesday for a very important announcement on XDA TV.

Verizon
got pwned

As someone thinking about getting the Note 2 and switching to Verizon to do so is this a good thing? I'm assuming it's the bootloader being cracked wide open, but is there anything I need to worry about in terms of choosing Verizon over ATT, for example (I have T-Mobile now, but their customer service has annoyed me and their coverage sucks in my area)?
Thanks!

I just got mine last night. I *like* it, I'm just spoiled how much I like my Nexus 7 with all the stock Google Apps. And this 4 wide icon layout is about to be the death of me.

Huge screen, great resolution, 4 wide icons. Huh.

The voice mail app is pretty crummy, too, but that may be a sprint thing.

No comma key on the Samsung keyboards main layout?

No Google wallet?

Are there workarounds to this stuff via root? And what will I lose with root or rom?

yeah, the Voicemail app is a Sprint thing. all the Carrier voicemail apps are lame like that.

Google Wallet can be hacked on, but i would wait.

as for 4 icons, there's always 3rd party launchers.

pNk6Sl.png

no idea what i'm gonna do with all that space in 5x5

39.98$ for unlimited 4G on verizon and yeah I'm on a contract.

I could use my relatives upgrade and buy the phone for 299$ but then they would be stuck with the 30$+ a month for a data plan because they still have a dumbphone

unless I buy it for 299$ and then they buy another smartphone off contract or on ebay

I keep the note II and they pay for there own 30$ data plan and use there own smartphone for it and save me friggin 500$

considering this option though

you can upgrade their line, switch the phone to your line and switch their dumbphone back to their line and turn off the data plan on their line. any Verizon store rep should be able to do it for you.

Yeah, that's what's holding me back from Apex. Plugging in some headphones and going to Google Music is god-tier
not a launcher, but if you want to automatically go to Google Music...

Tasker!

Verizon
got pwned

does anyone know where the Sprint logo is on their Galaxy Note II???

does anyone know where the Sprint logo is on their Galaxy Note II???

If I had Sprint, I would try to hide it too. Whereas I don't mind people knowing I have Verizon, I just run the Speedtest.net app while they watch and they know which network is the strongest.

As someone thinking about getting the Note 2 and switching to Verizon to do so is this a good thing? I'm assuming it's the bootloader being cracked wide open, but is there anything I need to worry about in terms of choosing Verizon over ATT, for example (I have T-Mobile now, but their customer service has annoyed me and their coverage sucks in my area)?
Thanks!

You'll probably have to worry about how Verizon has 4G LTE over 75% of the current US population and how they plan to have their entire 3G network footprint overlaid with LTE by mid-2013. You're going to hit your data cap so fast if you sit there and download 1 GB Note II ROM images over the data connection. This is a serious concern, I grabbed a couple of ROM images yesterday in order to flash odex - deodex and back and forgot I was on LTE and not WiFi and burned through 2 GB in literally 10-15 minutes. I have unlimited data so I am not worried when I derp like this but you might be if you switch to Verizon now and get onto a capped plan. It feels just like landline Internet and if you aren't paying attention you'll start using it just like that and then hello overages!

kmfdmpig

If I had Sprint, I would try to hide it too. Whereas I don't mind people knowing I have Verizon, I just run the Speedtest.net app while they watch and they know which network is the strongest.

You'll probably have to worry about how Verizon has 4G LTE over 75% of the current US population and how they plan to have their entire 3G network footprint overlaid with LTE by mid-2013. You're going to hit your data cap so fast if you sit there and download 1 GB Note II ROM images over the data connection. This is a serious concern, I grabbed a couple of ROM images yesterday in order to flash odex - deodex and back and forgot I was on LTE and not WiFi and burned through 2 GB in literally 10-15 minutes. I have unlimited data so I am not worried when I derp like this but you might be if you switch to Verizon now and get onto a capped plan. It feels just like landline Internet and if you aren't paying attention you'll start using it just like that and then hello overages!

Thanks. That sounds pretty manageable as I have wi-fi both at work and at home, so I'll just make sure to do the heavy data lifting in those locations rather than when I'm out and about.

I can't wait to have good coverage again.

Okay, this actually bears some explaining since you can't see everything on the tiny window.

What I actually have is a family plan with 2 other people. They only have dumbphones. So that's actually $80 for 700 minutes and unlimited texting for 3 lines. I have the $30 unlimited data plan. So after taxes and 22% corporate discount from my employer it's actually about $120 a month for 3 people, of which only I have a smartphone.

If I wanted to move my entire family to smartphones, I doubt Verizon would have better pricing for me than Sprint unless I moved to Share Everything and gave up my unlimited data. Fortunately this is really unlikely to happen, as my parents can barely figure out how to work their laptop.

can I come too ?

sure

Okay, this actually bears some explaining since you can't see everything on the tiny window.

What I actually have is a family plan with 2 other people. They only have dumbphones. So that's actually $80 for 700 minutes and unlimited texting for 3 lines. I have the $30 unlimited data plan. So after taxes and 22% corporate discount from my employer it's actually about $120 a month for 3 people, of which only I have a smartphone.

If I wanted to move my entire family to smartphones, I doubt Verizon would have better pricing for me than Sprint unless I moved to Share Everything and gave up my unlimited data. Fortunately this is really unlikely to happen, as my parents can barely figure out how to work their laptop.

pretty long concession speech...

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Ok, how are y'all getting these awesome deals on phone plans? I think I'm doing well with 70 bucks a month on Sprint, and that's because I get 25% off.

Staying on topic, I REALLY want a GNII, but I don't really want to do a new contract...

Hardly. My situation is completely different from yours. And my data is Verizon 4G LTE, not Sprint 3G which I hear is slightly slower than molasses on a cold day.

yeah, funny story... there's no Verizon 4G LTE here. T-Mobile would win a speed test with their DC HSPA+ ... well, if you were in the right spot to get a signal ... the T-Mo coverage is like swiss cheese here.

Ok, how are y'all getting these awesome deals on phone plans? I think I'm doing well with 70 bucks a month on Sprint, and that's because I get 25% off.

Staying on topic, I REALLY want a GNII, but I don't really want to do a new contract...

i got SERO ($30/mo 500mins, free sprint to sprint, free nights & weekends, unlimited text, data, etc...) waaaay back in the day thanks to GAF and then a few years later, they offered SERO Premium which had a better phone selection and unlimited mobile to any mobile (not just Sprint to Sprint) for $50/mo ($40 + $10 Premium Data for Smartphones) and haven't looked back.

yeah, funny story... there's no Verizon 4G LTE here. T-Mobile would win a speed test with their DC HSPA+ ... well, if you were in the right spot to get a signal ... the T-Mo coverage is like swiss cheese here.

T-Mo coverage is like swiss cheese everywhere, except at the center of major cities. And there will be Verizon 4G LTE where you are by mid-2013, guaranteed. But your plan is good enough that I wouldn't blame you for not switching.

i got SERO ($30/mo 500mins, free sprint to sprint, free nights & weekends, unlimited text, data, etc...) waaaay back in the day thanks to GAF and then a few years later, they offered SERO Premium which had a better phone selection and unlimited mobile to any mobile (not just Sprint to Sprint) for $50/mo ($40 + $10 Premium Data for Smartphones) and haven't looked back.

I remember back in the day when SERO was available. I actually thought about switching to Sprint back then. I had AT&T at the time and I was trying to get the hell out because they had just announced they were starting data capping. I ended up on Verizon because they still had unlimited data at the time so I got in on that before they started their data capping. I wouldn't give up Verizon for anything now, saving even $50 a month wouldn't be worth it to me to lose unlimited 4G LTE.

in other news... i got an email from Amazon earlier, informing me that they cancelled my $41.99 64GB Micro SDXC order from Black Friday due to lack of availability... which i found to be amusing because just yesterday they were finally showing as being in-stock again.

the Amazon CS chat rep was informed of my displeasure post haste, to which their respose: order it again, pick standard shipping (yay, not super saver) and tell me the order number.

result: $36.99 64GB Micro SDXC including standard shipping.

What are you going to put on your 64 GB microSDXC?

Oh, I recommend one of these cases. One of my friends has the GSIII version of this case, it looks fab in whatever color you choose. I ordered a blue one, my friend has a lime green one.

high quality lossless encodes of someone reading Bboy AJ's entire post history on GAF.

...or just music, videos and images...

and i want something like this or this, <3 belt clip and kickstand cases.

Pachael

Part of the question down under (Australia) is also whether there will be a 4G/LTE compatible handset.

Got my grubby mitts on a best Grey best Galaxy Note 2 LTE down under. It's best glorious for all the reasons mentioned above. Now my 64 GB microSDXC card is filled with animu, mango, muzak and podcasts galore. S-Pen, GNow and Jellybean, MultiWindow are fantastico too.

Bliss coming from a 3GS, which fits easily in the screen of the Note 2.

Quick doodles are great too

And yes, a kickstand case is on the to-do list.

Got my grubby mitts on a best Grey best Galaxy Note 2 LTE down under. It's best glorious for all the reasons mentioned above. Now my 64 GB microSDXC card is filled with animu, mango, muzak and podcasts galore. S-Pen, GNow and Jellybean, MultiWindow are fantastico too.

Bliss coming from a 3GS, which fits easily in the screen of the Note 2.

Quick doodles are great too

And yes, a kickstand case is on the to-do list.

now that's what i'm talkin' 'bout!!!

Emily Chu

Banned
you can upgrade their line, switch the phone to your line and switch their dumbphone back to their line and turn off the data plan on their line. any Verizon store rep should be able to do it for you.

can I do this with no termination fee, or other fees besides the 30$ activation fee, if she switches back to her old dumbphone and cancels her 29.99$ data package ? the same day ? but she keeps the contract for 2 years.

can the data plan be cancelled online ? and all I do is just slip my sim in it right ?

and I get the FUCKING NOTE II on verizon unlimited 4G for 299.99$ !!

9VSTl.gif

thank god for your post... because I walked into the verizon store just 10 minutes ago Sweating with my 820$ and walked out empty handed...... but I've read this post afterwards..

It's not just the Galaxy S3 getting a generous helping of new features in its Android 4.1.2 update. According to reports from SamMobile, the international Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7100) and Galaxy Note 2 LTE (GT-N7105) are also receiving new Samsung-flavored software along with the new OS upgrade.

The biggest changes seem to be focused around the top of the screen. The notification shade is now customizable, so if you're not a fan of extraneous toggles and brightness dials, you can turn them off. If you keep your notification shade quick-controls, you'll notice new additions such as the ability to toggle the multi-window feature on and off.
http://www.androidcentral.com/inter...-get-android-412-update-new-touchwiz-features

sounds good! i really don't need the brightness slider there 24/7/365...

darkwing

my golly, how do you customize the default TW lockscreen so that it would not look so horrible? text messages don't even display on the lockscreen

DrFunk

So simple! Thanks.

Edit: Actually, it selects an area of the screen and cuts it. ??

If you hold the button and draw with the pen, it'll turn into draw/cut mode. If you hold the button on the pen, and press on the screen (without moving it), it should take a screenshot which you can then edit

Ocho

If you hold the button and draw with the pen, it'll turn into draw/cut mode. If you hold the button on the pen, and press on the screen (without moving it), it should take a screenshot which you can then edit

Oh ok. Got it, thanks!

Emily Chu

Banned
Finally got it fuck yeah

So I did the thing faceless told me to do and I got the phone for 299 $ in store with the flip cover

So I can just put my old verizon sim lte card from my vrw gnex and it should work right ? Wirh the number and data and number existing line ?

Top Bottom