• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Emily Chu

Banned
DAT SIXTY FOUR GEE BEES

awesome!
Oh gawd DAT $ixty Four Gee bees

So glad I sold my 16gbnexus 7 for this

Prolly selling my gnex too soon

f59zfl.jpg

Loving this phablet and traditional laptop combo

Lol pretty much the only things I own since I have "spartanism"

Opposite of hoarding.

Might have to get a full touch screen convertible laptop with a stylus soon....

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I finally decided to install a custom Rom on my T-Mobile note 2 to get multi screen and it seems ok. YouTube and chrome is a good combination. Not sure if there are any other combinations I will ever really use aside from YouTube and something else.

I've never liked flip covers either. They require an extra step to get the phone ready to use, they are clumsy, and they block the camera.

Don't drop your phone while you're still deciding!

i'll try my best not to! especially since i don't have insurance! i've never in my 5 years of contracts done insurance, and it was especially hilarious with this phone as the monthly charge for TEP would be $11

my previous phones i've dropped a total of ... i dunno, 5 times? so i'm hoping i'll be ok with this too.

Emily Chu

Banned
i'll try my best not to! especially since i don't have insurance! i've never in my 5 years of contracts done insurance, and it was especially hilarious with this phone as the monthly charge for TEP would be $11

my previous phones i've dropped a total of ... i dunno, 5 times? so i'm hoping i'll be ok with this too.

welp I'm getting one of these for tomorrow for daily use but I might rock the flip cover @ like dinner parties and shit... though

http://www.otterbox.com/Samsung-Gal...r=J1&start=2&cgid=samsung-galaxy-note-2-cases

it allows me to go full retard with the phone : P like I did with the gnex
I can drop it on the concrete and I can just be like : | lol

Lemonte

Christmas came early for me. Bought Note2 today and can't believe how amazing this phone is. My previous phone was zte blade so jump from that feels good.

eastmen

Banned

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
welp I'm getting one of these for tomorrow for daily use but I might rock the flip cover @ like dinner parties and shit... though

http://www.otterbox.com/Samsung-Gal...r=J1&start=2&cgid=samsung-galaxy-note-2-cases

it allows me to go full retard with the phone : P like I did with the gnex
I can drop it on the concrete and I can just be like : | lol

Just..just Samsung's official case:
EFC-1J9BBEGSTA_1_400_2.jpg

It's thinner than it looks, and there's 50% off coupons still floating around

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EFC-1J9BBEGSTA

Emily Chu

Banned
Anyone know how to turn on 3g and disable the 4g ATM and keep using 3g ?

I literally have no idea ?

Since must of the time I'm on GAF I would just do it for the battery savings vs 4g

(._.)

Banned
I love this phone. Got mine a few weeks ago. I'm thinking of getting a cover for it but am not sure. I usually don't put them on my cellphone but I feel like I'm more prone to drop this one.

turning off 4G is crazy talk. in these newer basebands, 4G is more power efficient because the difference in power usage is smaller and the connection is in use for a shorter time due to the better bandwidth and latency.

kmfdmpig

I picked up my Note 2 a few days ago and love it. There really don't seem to be any flaws. The screen, battery, stylus, special features and speed are all impressive.

Two things that really stood out for me today were:

1) Battery life is incredible. I had it on for the 17 hours with no charging. I used it a ton for internet, gaming, video and had the screen on for over 5 hours (most with a live wallpaper going). I still had 16% battery left when I finally plugged it in.

2) There's a DLNA option that lets you wirelessly stream video. It works with my TV, so I was able to stream (in 1080P with surround sound) video from my phone to my TV wirelessly. I didn't even realize that it had that feature and imagine that it may come in handy from time to time.

adelante

2) There's a DLNA option that lets you wirelessly stream video. It works with my TV, so I was able to stream (in 1080P with surround sound) video from my phone to my TV wirelessly. I didn't even realize that it had that feature and imagine that it may come in handy from time to time.
I didn't realize the phone came with this feature too. Had my xbox360 turned on and I was browsing thru some photos on my phone when I saw a peculiar icon at the top. Tapped it, screen turn black and suddenly the photo I was looking at on my phone showed on my TV. Freaked me out a little...lol

Man, why is this thing so damn expensive? I want to buy one, but I don't know if it's worth 2x the price of the Nexus 4.

firstworldproblems

Man, why is this thing so damn expensive? I want to buy one, but I don't know if it's worth 2x the price of the Nexus 4.

firstworldproblems

i dunno where you're buying a Nexus 4 for half the price of this... tell me so i can flip 'em on ebay!

it's around the same price as many other devices that don't have a 3100mAh battery or Wacom digitizer.

the real answer is the Nexus 4 is so cheap because Google is selling it near cost.

Emily Chu

Banned
anyone getting jitters in Street Views in compass mode ?

I hope it's just a software problem and not a hardware one...

and why are some flash videos all scrambled and some HD sites are playing slowly for me

but all 720P and 1080p HD flash videos from youtube from excellently.... from within a browser xscope.

this is on flash apk 11.1.115.34
downloaded from
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

aside from those two niggling problems everything is awesome....

but my Gnex had no problems with neither flash playback no scambling and no slow downs or stuttering on some HD flash videos

methinks it has to do with some unseen bloat somewhere or unoptimized drivers.... compared to a lightweight rom on my Gnex running flash flawlessly on an underclocked and undervolted CPU.....

anyone getting jitters in Street Views in compass mode ?

I hope it's just a software problem and not a hardware one...

and why are some flash videos all scrambled and some HD sites are playing slowly for me

but all 720P and 1080p HD flash videos from youtube from excellently.... from within a browser xscope.

this is on flash apk 11.1.115.34
downloaded from
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

aside from those two niggling problems everything is awesome....

but my Gnex had no problems with neither flash playback no scambling and no slow downs or stuttering on some HD flash videos

methinks it has to do with some unseen bloat somewhere or unoptimized drivers.... compared to a lightweight rom on my Gnex running flash flawlessly on an underclocked and undervolted CPU.....
just checked, jitters in street view compass mode here too. did not even know compass mode existed in street view!

as for Flash performance... URLs of videos?

Emily Chu

Banned
just checked, jitters in street view compass mode here too. did not even know compass mode existed in street view!

as for Flash performance... URLs of videos?

Heheh its any xhamster HD or non. HD videos :p

And stuff from xnxx is some times scrambled theres sound though

But stuff like viemo HD and YouTube HD 1080p work perfect in full screen and in browser

Using latest APK from flash archives site and xscope browser

And a bunch of other flash sites work fine though

Hope its not a hardware issue with the compass but navigation and maps works find though

Dunno what's up with the jitter though over sensitive software calibration ?

Hmm just tried it out on my gnex there's no jitter but if I lay it on a wall perfectly still
It slowly wobbles back and forth very very slightly not jittery by smooth

firstworldproblems

Seeing as how it has a battery that lasts forever, expandable storage, a much bigger screen, the S-Pen stylus, optional wireless charging on all but the Sprint and Verizon variants, and way fewer bugs than stock Android 4.2, I would conservatively estimate that the Note II is worth 5x the price of the N4.

And yeah, the N4 is being sold basically at cost, with a lot of cut corners in hardware as outlined in the previous paragraph. You get what you are paying for with the N4, quite frankly.

wow, 4.2 camera works really well on the Note 2. photospheres are cool!

Hope its not a hardware issue with the compass but navigation and maps works find though

Dunno what's up with the jitter though over sensitive software calibration ?

Hmm just tried it out on my gnex there's no jitter but if I lay it on a wall perfectly still
It slowly wobbles back and forth very very slightly not jittery by smooth

checked on my Epic and there is way less jitter, but it also randomly flips upside down for a split second sometimes. probably needs some filtering or smoothing applied...

Heads up people! There is a huge kernel exploit for all devices using Exynos making the rounds at XDA right now. You need to be really careful what apps you install right now, especially via sideloading.

darkwing

Heads up people! There is a huge kernel exploit for all devices using Exynos making the rounds at XDA right now. You need to be really careful what apps you install right now, especially via sideloading.

yup, this is huge, going through a list of my apps right now, you never know when a developer decides to go rogue :|

TimeLike

upgraded from a Thunderbolt today, and I am utterly in awe of this device. I can't believe that I am scribbling this reply with a pen on a phone's screen. Blown away!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
On a side note, it's embarrassing how fast Chainfire managed to fix this and Samsung has yet to even acknowledge it

Enron

Banned
I just got one of these on Friday (AT&T). Haven't bothered to root it or install a custom rom yet. Quickly realized the samsung default texting app is motherfucking hot garbage. Still trying to get acquainted with the android-ness after nearly 4 years of ios.

I still don't really like Android. It's a lot better than it used to be, but it still feels like its unpolished and just sort of thrown together. It does a lot of things that annoy the shit out of me. But the Note 2 hardware is so sexy, and the iphone 5 was so underwhelming that so far I am willing to make that trade.

Is there one rom that everyone is using/head and shoulders above the others? And what are the "essential" apps that I must have?

goldenpp72

I just walked out of best buy with 2 of these for 100 a piece.. Thanks to huge lines, angry customers and some luck on price matching amazon wireless. What are the best cases and screen protectors? Thanks!

tsumineko

The first fix for the Exynos Abuse exploit is now available as an app from Chainfire. You need to be rooted! Lucky for you, this app uses that exploit to one-click root you if you require it.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2050297

Will this work on an original Galaxy Note as well? I can't check as the forum is down atm...

My phone isn't rooted and I would like to root it as well.

Edit: Never mind, forum is back up, I ran it, it rooted me, and I'm patched.

On a side note, it's embarrassing how fast Chainfire managed to fix this and Samsung has yet to even acknowledge it

I expect Samsung to acknowledge it only after they have fixed it and the updates have begun deploying. Announcing publicly there is a giant flaw in their devices which allows any rogue application to gain complete control over it simply by running would be a pretty bad idea without measures already in effect. Then they should announce it and tell everyone to download the OTA or connect to Kies or whatever. There's a right way to close security flaws like this, we'll see what Samsung does.

Microsoft in particular is a good company for Samsung to be copying here, they acknowledge flaws and issue patches immediately. It's harder with mobile devices because Samsung doesn't directly control many of the devices in the wild for updates but they can certainly do a better job than Apple usually does here if they immediately get to work. It's Monday afternoon in South Korea now, Samsung's engineers should be at the office and getting their hands into the hot mess as we speak. The first updates to International devices really should be rolling out early this week, and Samsung should be working with carriers for devices they don't control to get a patch rolled out ASAP.

edit: Aaaaaand, supercurio's no-root-required fix is now up:
http://project-voodoo.org/articles/...use-vulnerability-no-root-required-reversible

darkwing

I expect Samsung to acknowledge it only after they have fixed it and the updates have begun deploying. Announcing publicly there is a giant flaw in their devices which allows any rogue application to gain complete control over it simply by running would be a pretty bad idea without measures already in effect. Then they should announce it and tell everyone to download the OTA or connect to Kies or whatever. There's a right way to close security flaws like this, we'll see what Samsung does.

Microsoft in particular is a good company for Samsung to be copying here, they acknowledge flaws and issue patches immediately. It's harder with mobile devices because Samsung doesn't directly control many of the devices in the wild for updates but they can certainly do a better job than Apple usually does here if they immediately get to work. It's Monday afternoon in South Korea now, Samsung's engineers should be at the office and getting their hands into the hot mess as we speak. The first updates to International devices really should be rolling out early this week, and Samsung should be working with carriers for devices they don't control to get a patch rolled out ASAP.

edit: Aaaaaand, supercurio's no-root-required fix is now up:
http://project-voodoo.org/articles/...use-vulnerability-no-root-required-reversible

Thanks for this, my rear camera is still working ok

Top Bottom