• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

We ride lots of bike around D.C., Virginia and Maryland..he prefers not to have it in his pocket. Was looking for an armband or something that would attach to his camel bak. I've looked around and found zilch..perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?

i saw this one back when i was looking at cases.

BTjgTVg.jpg

I'm thinking about returning my iPhone 5 (upgraded a little less than 2 weeks ago) and going with the Note 2. This was my first iPhone and even with the taller screen of the 5 I just find it way too small (my last phone had a bit larger screen). It feels like my fingers consistently miss where I'm trying to press. Maybe it's my fingers, or maybe it's the phone. Either way I think a larger screen is a requirement for me at this point.

Thankfully I didn't spend too much money on accessories or apps. Maybe $25 on two cases and two paid apps. I suppose they'll always be on my Apple account so if I ever buy a iOS device again I'll have them back.

The only disappointment is that my work doesn't yet allow Androids for Exchange ActiveSync for getting work email onto the phone. It's not a deal breaker for me because they are working on getting Android support in the future, and I can always access the Oulook Web App from the browser if I need to check email. I just don't get alerts with the Web App (which is honestly not a bad thing, I hate when people send emails after working hours).

JCizzle

I'm thinking about returning my iPhone 5 (upgraded a little less than 2 weeks ago) and going with the Note 2. This was my first iPhone and even with the taller screen of the 5 I just find it way too small (my last phone had a bit larger screen). It feels like my fingers consistently miss where I'm trying to press. Maybe it's my fingers, or maybe it's the phone. Either way I think a larger screen is a requirement for me at this point.

Thankfully I didn't spend too much money on accessories or apps. Maybe $25 on two cases and two paid apps. I suppose they'll always be on my Apple account so if I ever buy a iOS device again I'll have them back.

The only disappointment is that my work doesn't yet allow Androids for Exchange ActiveSync for getting work email onto the phone. It's not a deal breaker for me because they are working on getting Android support in the future, and I can always access the Oulook Web App from the browser if I need to check email. I just don't get alerts with the Web App (which is honestly not a bad thing, I hate when people send emails after working hours).

Ha, not getting work email on your personal phone sounds like a big time benefit to me. I hate that - work should stay at work.

Cipherr

The Note 2 would be a great phone for work. But if you aren't interested in the stylus and the software suite that comes with it, I would wait to see what the Galaxy S4 is about in the next few weeks before buying the Note 2.

The S4 will be faster, and have better screen tech and more. It'll also be a 4.99" screened phone, so while it'll be smaller than the Note 2, it should still be large enough for someone with bigger hands.

JCizzle

The Note 2 would be a great phone for work. But if you aren't interested in the stylus and the software suite that comes with it, I would wait to see what the Galaxy S4 is about in the next few weeks before buying the Note 2.

The S4 will be faster, and have better screen tech and more. It'll also be a 4.99" screened phone, so while it'll be smaller than the Note 2, it should still be large enough for someone with bigger hands.

I imagine the S4 will likely have worse battery life though, right?

Cipherr

I imagine the S4 will likely have worse battery life though, right?

Possibly, unless the Note 2 was the first in a change of direction for the company. The Note 2's battery life is great even compared to the Note 1. They really put some unexpected effort into making the N2 last long. Im hoping they carry that over into the S4.

Time will tell.

The S4 will use the Exynos 5 which is 28 nm, so it will be more power efficient than previous generation chips. They won't be able to fit a big ass battery as in the Note 2, but the more efficient silicon should even things out I presume.

JCizzle

The S4 will use the Exynos 5 which is 28 nm, so it will be more power efficient than previous generation chips. They won't be able to fit a big ass battery as in the Note 2, but the more efficient silicon should even things out I presume.

I thought it switched to Snapdragon 600 due to manufacturing issues?

it might have worse screen tech... i heard it may not be AMOLED

it won't be even, its like a 15% power difference between 28nm and 32nm

that's 28nm too.

Oh I hadn't heard that.

it might have worse screen tech... i heard it may not be AMOLED

Whoa, Samsung abandoning AMOLED? Why would they? I'm so in love with the contrast of the Note 2. The blacks still manage to surprise me almost every day.

it won't be even, its like a 15% power difference between 28nm and 32nm

That's good to know. But I thought there would be other factors driving power efficiency, like enhanced instruction sets/circuit logic, also having 8 cores could allow the processor run at lower frequencies most of the time/for general tasks.

Oh I hadn't heard that.

Whoa, Samsung abandoning AMOLED? Why would they? I'm so in love with the contrast of the Note 2. The blacks still manage to surprise me almost every day.

That's good to know. But I thought there would be other factors driving power efficiency, like enhanced instruction sets/circuit logic, also having 8 cores could allow the processor run at lower frequencies most of the time/for general tasks.

gonna be offset by higher max clockspeed.

The story goes that Samsung has had trouble manufacturing 1080p Super AMOLED screens. That might be why they are going with some form of LCD in the S4. Hopefully by the Note III they have ironed out the production issues and we can enjoy a good screen in the N3.

Is good enough, but the flip cover adds too much width to the thing when using it. Definitely looking forward to going flip cover-less and getting this bad-boy:

CSR3SSGT2K-RB-4.jpg

I found this post a few pages back about the Seidio Surface case.

I love the look, its size, and the kickstand. There was ONE review I saw on Amazon (out of 40 or so) that mentioned that the kickstands magnet can slightly interfere with the S Pen.
Has anyone used this case and can give impressions?

EDIT: Oh, apparently this is the company that makes cases for Best Buy, the Platinum (Pt) series. I actually bought one for my old Samsung Infuse a few years back and thought it was good.
Unfortunately there were two more review on Best Buy that also mentioned the magnet interfering with the stylus in one spot. Kinda dumb that they made the stand have a magnet, couldn't it just physically clip in place?

Maybe I'll go down to Best Buy tomorrow and try one of the cases out and see for myself.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I found this post a few pages back about the Seidio Surface case.

I love the look, its size, and the kickstand. There was ONE review I saw on Amazon (out of 40 or so) that mentioned that the kickstands magnet can slightly interfere with the S Pen.
Has anyone used this case and can give impressions?

I certainly havent noticed any interference since popping this awesome case on. One problem with it is I havent been able to get it off. Apparently once you get it off the first time it becomes easier, but... damn son. Shit is... difficult, and I need to swap out an SD card.

Eiolon

I got my Note II. I love it. I can't believe I stuck with Apple for so long. It feels a little cheaper construction-wise compared to my 4S but outside of that no problems. I find myself writing to text a lot, and its insanely accurate, even with my cursive.

Android was a little annoying at first. Everything I did it popped up with a tip on how to do something so I turned all that off. I wish I could get rid of all the AT&T bloat without rooting but oh well.

The story goes that Samsung has had trouble manufacturing 1080p Super AMOLED screens. That might be why they are going with some form of LCD in the S4. Hopefully by the Note III they have ironed out the production issues and we can enjoy a good screen in the N3.

don't worry too much.. the Note screens are bigger, so they're easier to make!

I got my Note II. I love it. I can't believe I stuck with Apple for so long. It feels a little cheaper construction-wise compared to my 4S but outside of that no problems. I find myself writing to text a lot, and its insanely accurate, even with my cursive.

Android was a little annoying at first. Everything I did it popped up with a tip on how to do something so I turned all that off. I wish I could get rid of all the AT&T bloat without rooting but oh well.

yeah, they gotta make sure people know how to do things!

Ondore

I should probably know this, but I'll ask anyway: Is it better on modern phones to charge them overnight regardless of current battery status, or should I run them down first?

Because mine didn't come with the second battery (thanks, carrier d-bags) and my last phone couldn't go more than 15 minutes of light music/Twitter before the battery croaked. I'd like this one to last two years.

I certainly havent noticed any interference since popping this awesome case on. One problem with it is I havent been able to get it off. Apparently once you get it off the first time it becomes easier, but... damn son. Shit is... difficult, and I need to swap out an SD card.

I've read about the removal difficulty in a lot of reviews. I honestly couldn't get my old Infuse version of this case off when I put it on in Best Buy, haha.

At least for that version you just had to do the "trick" to undoing it. Pushing on the back where the clip happens and kinda wiggling them apart. Do you have a screen protector on your phone? Some reviews said that can make it harder to com off because of the added thickness.

Like I said, I'll try going to Best Buy today and see if they let me try it on before I buy it (they let me last time, but that was a few years ago). If it doesn't come off maybe they'll give me the case for free! :D

Ocho

I should probably know this, but I'll ask anyway: Is it better on modern phones to charge them overnight regardless of current battery status, or should I run them down first?

Because mine didn't come with the second battery (thanks, carrier d-bags) and my last phone couldn't go more than 15 minutes of light music/Twitter before the battery croaked. I'd like this one to last two years.

Who gives an extra battery?

In theory, current phone batteries last longer if you plug them whenever you can. So, keep it plugged.

I bought that case I posted about earlier. Tried it on at Best Buy and there was no magnetic interference. I'm also able to consistently get the case on and off, which can be a bit tricky for some (especially if you have a thick screen protector apparently). You have to kinda squeeze the large part at the sides to made the middle flex up and push down on the indicated spot on the smaller section and it pops right off.

The blue looks great (out of blue and black). There's a purple one if you get direct from the manufacturer and Amazon which I would have liked more, but it probably would have cost more for shipping and everything.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use touch wiz apps on an alternate launcher? I love the full page calendar app I can get with touch wiz, but it's not there when I go to add it with Apex.

I could have sworn the unbranded versions / some carriers were packing this in with 2 batteries. Or maybe I'm confusing it with some tech journos who bought an extra after they got it.

maybe some carriers did it, but it was definitely not a standard thing. the only handset that i can recall coming stock with two batteries in the past few years is the Kyocera Echo.

gkryhewy

Just ordered one of these- fed up with my old phone, and decided I'm not willing to wait for a note 3 in the US. Not sure what I want to do about a case, however. The stock flip case looks really good, but seems to provide essentially no protection.

EDIT: bought the flip from amazon warehousedeals. Excite!

Mudkips

Banned
How in the hell do I stop this thing from connecting to attwifi?

I removed the fucking block for it from wpa_supplicant.conf but it looks like it was automatically readded. Sick of connecting to unsecured attwifi horseshit.

Trying again, it looks like if I edit the file manually and save it, wifi won't start up.
If I delete the entire file, it gets recreated with the default ID shit at the top and no network{} block for attwifi. But at some later point it appears as if attwifi gets added automatically.

I'm poking at /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

Edit: There's a separate option in a separate menu in the wifi settings shit. I'm pretty sure I nuked that ages ago, but it was set. I'll try clearing it again...

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm still butthurt about VUDU not being compatible with it. Bad enough you can't get Amazon Instant Video but wtf, not even VUDU? Google's movie store is sparse.

Mudkips

Banned
I'm still butthurt about VUDU not being compatible with it. Bad enough you can't get Amazon Instant Video but wtf, not even VUDU? Google's movie store is sparse.

Amazon Instant Video works fine in the browser with Flash.

Just be sure not to touch the BUY NOW WITH 1-CLICK links because even if you have One-Click turned off for your Amazon account, and even if you already have access to the show via Amazon Prime, they'll charge you.

I ended up removing all credit cards from my Amazon account because of this horse shit.
But when I have a gift card balance I'm still in danger of accidentally touching one of those fucking links and instantly losing money.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Yeah, that's a bummer for sure. I'd actually be willing to watch full movies on this screen too.

Eiolon

This is my first time getting photos off my Note II. When I plug in the USB cable to the phone and my Windows 7 PC, I can switch to thumnail view to see which ones I want to take off, but it doesn't preview the photo for me. It will preview it if I transfer the entire folder over to the PC though. Is there a way to fix this? I have tried two different computers, both with Windows 7.

This is my first time getting photos off my Note II. When I plug in the USB cable to the phone and my Windows 7 PC, I can switch to thumnail view to see which ones I want to take off, but it doesn't preview the photo for me. It will preview it if I transfer the entire folder over to the PC though. Is there a way to fix this? I have tried two different computers, both with Windows 7.

I just let Dropbox automatically upload all photos I take. When I'm on the PC they'll be just there, no need to do anything. And it's great that Dropbox gives you an extra 48GB for free for two years if you have this phone (just need to go through 5 steps/action to claim the bonus space).

Damn, it looks like I've got a defect on my screen.
There's this square/rectangle on the screen that is pink tinted. I looked this up and some other people had this issue and several said that it spreads over time. D:

I tried to replace it at the ATT store nearby, and apparently I'm not listed on the family plan so I can't replace it, even though I UPGRADED IT 2 WEEKS AGO with no issue and HAVE THE RECEIPT.
They appear to be MUCH more helpful when you're giving them $300 as opposed to returning $300 of busted equipment.

So, it's upgrayedd time and I'm looking hard at the Note 2 through AT&T. It seems to be in the $250-299 range under contract pretty much everywhere, you guys think this price is likely to change at all with the S4 unveiling coming up? Should I just bite the bullet and spend?

gkryhewy

Having a hell of a time getting my white note 2 from tmobile. Order keeps getting backordered and auto-canceled, much to the chagrine of customer service. Evidently it's out of stock and backlogged.

Skyzard

Banned
Firmware update through keys...was on 4.1.2 have to charge battery first..
GT-N7100

edit .. still 4.1.2 after the update :S

Samsung has been issuing multiple 4.1.2 updates to fix bugs and close the Exynos Abuse exploit. They'll probably issue another one to fix the lockscreen bypass vulnerability.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Actually is there any phone more powerful than the note 2?I have a s3, and wanted to know it it's worth it to upgrade

I just replaced my note 2 due to a screen defect (tiny pink spot on the screen), and there's something u can't remember how to fix with setting up the phone.

In the bar at the top of the screen there is a pen/pencil looking icon caused by a "Recommended Shortcuts (s pen)" section in the pull down menu just below the brightness slider.

Is there a setting to remove this and get rid of that pen icon in the notification bar? It's kinda annoying and I swear it wasn't there on my blast Note.

EDIT: False alarm, just had to reboot the phone.

I can't decide if I want this or the GS4

I'm going to force myself to at least wait until the GS4 specs are official, though I suspect the Note will ultimately win out for me on size unless the s4 is going to be bigger than the s3. Either way, my iPhone 4 is tired and I'm getting antsy.

Top Bottom