• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

So it turns out that you can still kill this phone's battery after all. I was in an area with very bad signal (-100 to -120 dBa) and it drained my battery to dead in about 4-5 hours. Maybe I should use Airplane Mode for situations like that.

I ordered a Note for both my wife and myself. It comes in tomorrow. I ordered larger jeans and a notebook case for daily travel as well. I can't wait!

Seriously, I'm excited.

qazqaNii

Hmm.. I got this minor thing that bugs the hell out of me.. When I am speaking with someone the screen just blinks retarddly.

Does a setting for this even exist to keep the screen either fully closed when I am on a call or fully on.

Mesoian

So....

You can get the note 2 this weekend for on amazon wireless 150. I went to bestbuy and they were willing to price match for me. However, it meant that I needed to get rid of my unlimited data plan and shift to a data switch plan, which changes my montly bill from 70 dollars, to 110.

TL:DR, what's the best cellular company in boston right now? Because if Verizon thinks that they're going to virtually double my monthly bill in order to give me less, they're fucking retarded.

JCizzle

So....

You can get the note 2 this weekend for on amazon wireless 150. I went to bestbuy and they were willing to price match for me. However, it meant that I needed to get rid of my unlimited data plan and shift to a data switch plan, which changes my montly bill from 70 dollars, to 110.

TL:DR, what's the best cellular company in boston right now? Because if Verizon thinks that they're going to virtually double my monthly bill in order to give me less, they're fucking retarded.

You're better off just dropping the $700 on it, that's nuts. That increase is $800 over 20 months until your next upgrade. It's much easier to swallow the upgrade for me, since my fiance is included and doesn't use much data so I can use the 6gb plan (allocating 5gb for myself) and don't have to spend $1500 on phones.

NH Apache

Banned
So....

I was with Verizon as well and faced the same dilemma.

I ported over to Sprint as of today. Got my new Note 2 in the mail this afternoon, bought from Amazon for 100.

My monthly bill has gone from 130 to 80, with insurance.

On another note, really not liking the Samsung version of Android. I'm looking to flash something close to stock android is CM nightly my best choice?

Really it's just the launcher that's irritating. I'm going to give Go Launcher a shot as I use it on my og tab. I don't want to lose split screen before I even really try it.

Cronee

I was with Verizon as well and faced the same dilemma.

I ported over to Sprint as of today. Got my new Note 2 in the mail this afternoon, bought from Amazon for 100.

My monthly bill has gone from 130 to 80, with insurance.

On another note, really not liking the Samsung version of Android. I'm looking to flash something close to stock android is CM nightly my best choice?

CM nightlies are a good way to go, just don't expect much functionality from the S-Pen. A lot of the S-Pen features are directly tied into TouchWiz and have yet to be replicated outside of it, but you can still use the pen for input purposes though. Multi-window is out as well, since its a TouchWiz thing too. There is a note app on the Play Market that is supposed to be comparable to S-Note. I've never tried it but it is mentioned a time or two in the AOSP ROM section. Also, there are tons of voice-enabled search and control apps similar to S-Voice.

There are issues with AOSP on the Note 2 though, such as bluetooth audio for calls is rather poor, the loudspeaker volume is very low, and GPS can be "flaky" at times. I suggest checking out XDA-Developers for ROMs and such. There are modified TW ROMs that are nice, such as Jelly Beans and CleanROM, that give you full functionality while also giving you the option to customize and enhance your experience.

One last thing, you can still use the Note's special features with other launchers.

EDIT: Go Launcher has become a massive bloated pile of bile. I suggest trying something like Apex or Nova Launcher. Perhaps even ADW Launcher. I'm fairly certain all of those support Go Launcher's themes.

There are modified TW ROMs that are nice, such as Jelly Beans and CleanROM, that give you full functionality while also giving you the option to customize and enhance your experience.

I didn't know this was a thing. I'd definitely like to look into it one day, as I don't like some aesthetic aspects of TW but I don't want to lose any of the functionality.

I'm using Nova Prime laucher and the customizable gestures are amazing.

So....

Someone just discovered how "cheap" phones work for customers ?

Arucardo

It's funny how anything smaller than the Note 2 now feels like a mini phone. Held an S3 in my hand and asked my friend how can he use this?
KuGsj.gif

Also, I was blown away when I picked up my old phone (Desire HD) when I was doing a factory reset on it, so tiny.

After fixing my battery drain issue this phone is incredible, really can't think of any cons at the moment.

Xenon

I picked this thing up a few weeks ago. It is by a wide margin the best phone I've ever owned. The screen and the battery life have been great. I haven't even bothered to buy a car adapter yet. Though, I have yet to use the pen for anything other than a few doodles or to show people.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I picked this thing up a few weeks ago. It is by a wide margin the best phone I've ever owned. The screen and the battery life have been great. I haven't even bothered to buy a car adapter yet. Though, I have yet to use the pen for anything other than a few doodles or to show people.

Yeah the pen has no utility for me Asu aside from playing word search games.

I also completely stopped using the pen too after a couple of weeks (and installing SwiftKey Flow keyboard). It's strange because it was one of the main reasons I got this phone... I just find typing text by sliding my thumb one-handed to be faster and easier than pulling out the pen to ink notes with two hands, then putting it back in when I'm done.

NH Apache

Banned
CM nightlies are a good way to go, just don't expect much functionality from the S-Pen. A lot of the S-Pen features are directly tied into TouchWiz and have yet to be replicated outside of it, but you can still use the pen for input purposes though. Multi-window is out as well, since its a TouchWiz thing too. There is a note app on the Play Market that is supposed to be comparable to S-Note. I've never tried it but it is mentioned a time or two in the AOSP ROM section. Also, there are tons of voice-enabled search and control apps similar to S-Voice.

There are issues with AOSP on the Note 2 though, such as bluetooth audio for calls is rather poor, the loudspeaker volume is very low, and GPS can be "flaky" at times. I suggest checking out XDA-Developers for ROMs and such. There are modified TW ROMs that are nice, such as Jelly Beans and CleanROM, that give you full functionality while also giving you the option to customize and enhance your experience.

One last thing, you can still use the Note's special features with other launchers.

EDIT: Go Launcher has become a massive bloated pile of bile. I suggest trying something like Apex or Nova Launcher. Perhaps even ADW Launcher. I'm fairly certain all of those support Go Launcher's themes.

Thanks for the advice. I dled the rim and gapps and have it sitting on my SD card invade I feel like diving in.

After switching launchers, I do find that it is significantly better. My one last gripe would be to somehow make everything in the notifications bar much smaller but I'll look into that at some point.

This screen though is pure sex. Wow. Was watching Netflix and the HD looks super nice. Battery life so far has been superb, especially as a guy coming from an lte gnex. Also used MediaHouse to play dlna network content and that worked flawlessly.

Got my cheap little case in and it seems to be performing pretty well. This is the one I got:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009N5OX2E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I see these tutorials for all the motion controls. Do you guys use them or have them enabled? Are they useful?

Cronee

Thanks for the advice. I dled the rim and gapps and have it sitting on my SD card invade I feel like diving in.

After switching launchers, I do find that it is significantly better. My one last gripe would be to somehow make everything in the notifications bar much smaller but I'll look into that at some point.

This screen though is pure sex. Wow. Was watching Netflix and the HD looks super nice. Battery life so far has been superb, especially as a guy coming from an lte gnex. Also used MediaHouse to play dlna network content and that worked flawlessly.

Got my cheap little case in and it seems to be performing pretty well. This is the one I got:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009N5OX2E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I see these tutorials for all the motion controls. Do you guys use them or have them enabled? Are they useful?

One thing you could try, assuming you are rooted, is change the screen density. I believe the default density on the Note 2 is 320 and I believe most people on XDA, devs and users alike, swear by a density of 240. This is basically the same as changing your desktop resolution, only problem is, it can cause the Play Market to hide a lot of apps from you because the apps may not be compatible with a density of 240. There are ROMs and, I believe, a few apps that gives you app-by-app control over the screen density setting, meaning you could have the launcher set to 240 but the Play Market set to 320 and etc etc. Be sure to do a nandroid backup just in case something goes wrong as you're basically editing your build.prop file. I'm fairly certain a few apps have an auto-revert feature in case something does go wrong, so all you need to do is reboot your phone. (honestly, do a nandroid backup anyway) There is, though, a hacked version of the Play Market APK that corrects this issue, if you want to go that route.

As for the motions, I personally don't use them. A friend of mine uses the call a contact by having it open and moving the phone up to your head motion, which seems neat but, honestly, just one more tap and you're doing the same thing.

Stealth edit:

I pretty much only use the S-Pen for playing Kairosoft games. I mostly wanted the Note 2 for its massive screen size and awesome battery life. I've had nothing but battery sucking bricks before this thing.. OG Droid, Thunderbolt, and ReZound.

On a side note: I'll never buy a HTC phone again and Motorola has been doing a crap job of keeping up in the "arms" race. (get it? horrible ARM processor joke) I couldn't resist.

One thing you could try, assuming you are rooted, is change the screen density. I believe the default density on the Note 2 is 320 and I believe most people on XDA, devs and users alike, swear by a density of 240. This is basically the same as changing your desktop resolution, only problem is, it can cause the Play Market to hide a lot of apps from you because the apps may not be compatible with a density of 240. There are ROMs and, I believe, a few apps that gives you app-by-app control over the screen density setting, meaning you could have the launcher set to 240 but the Play Market set to 320 and etc etc. Be sure to do a nandroid backup just in case something goes wrong as you're basically editing your build.prop file. I'm fairly certain a few apps have an auto-revert feature in case something does go wrong, so all you need to do is reboot your phone. (honestly, do a nandroid backup anyway) There is, though, a hacked version of the Play Market APK that corrects this issue, if you want to go that route.

As for the motions, I personally don't use them. A friend of mine uses the call a contact by having it open and moving the phone up to your head motion, which seems neat but, honestly, just one more tap and you're doing the same thing.

Xposed Framework has a per app DPI mod.

works on any rooted phone iirc.

JCizzle

Stealth edit:

I pretty much only use the S-Pen for playing Kairosoft games. I mostly wanted the Note 2 for its massive screen size and awesome battery life. I've had nothing but battery sucking bricks before this thing.. OG Droid, Thunderbolt, and ReZound.

On a side note: I'll never buy a HTC phone again and Motorola has been doing a crap job of keeping up in the "arms" race. (get it? horrible ARM processor joke) I couldn't resist.

Agree on the HTC and Motorola comment, but the X has me very, very intrigued. Can't wait to see what Google spits out.

Salsa

if all goes according to plan I should be getting a Note 1 this week, figured id post here since its the only active Note thread

the official flip cover is kinda bad for drops right? the sides seem awfully exposed. What should I get? if anything at all, that is. I dont know how breakable these phones are when dropped.

Stryder

if all goes according to plan I should be getting a Note 1 this week, figured id post here since its the only active Note thread

the official flip cover is kinda bad for drops right? the sides seem awfully exposed. What should I get? if anything at all, that is. I dont know how breakable these phones are when dropped.
It sounds like you drop your phone a lot?

I've never dropped mine, and I know it's not something you really plan on doing but I think dropping a note in any kind of protective case will put it at risk of doing some kind of damage to it.

sasimirobot

I have dropped mine about 6/7 Times already. now there is a nice chip off the glass in 1 corner. phone still works like a charm! I worry that people may sneak up on my phone when it's charging and count the scratches...I hear its and instant turn off for hot babes

Another new owner here. I had a custom rommed S2 previously and even on stock out of the box, the battery life is noticeably better on the Note II. I was going to wait to see how MWC 2013 turned out first before upgrading but I saw a good deal and had to snap it up. Waiting on a cheap rubbery gel case to arrive. These phones are always slippery as hell without cases.. Don't want to be dropping the swanky new toy :D

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
This new window that pops up after turning the screen on is annoying me. I can't figure out how to disable it.

Agree on the HTC and Motorola comment, but the X has me very, very intrigued. Can't wait to see what Google spits out.

The X phone will have no S-Pen or S-Note, no micro SD slot, no Multi-Window, no superior TouchWiz apps like the camera and calendar, and who's taking bets on how big the battery will be in the non - MAXX version? Seriously, who cares about any other device other than the Note III once you've had a Note II?

Stryder

Just installed HyperDroid JBX on my international Note 2 (a CM 10.1 based rom) and I am loving it.

I've installed a few custom roms before but they have always been sammy based (as I didn't want to lose the S-Pen gimmicks). I was pleasantly surprised however to see that the pressure sensitivity of the pen remained in apps like Sketchbook and Papyrus, so I'm all good!

Here are a couple of screenshots showing off it's wonderful theme.

attachment.php
attachment.php

tigerin

The X phone will have no S-Pen or S-Note, no micro SD slot, no Multi-Window, no superior TouchWiz apps like the camera and calendar, and who's taking bets on how big the battery will be in the non - MAXX version? Seriously, who cares about any other device other than the Note III once you've had a Note II?

it's a coincident how Samsung is the only one that still have removable battery and has the most android phones sales.

Anyone know of a good sports armband for this thing? I'm honestly fine with it in my pocket..my brother is now looking into grabbing one and is more on the paranoid side.

Enron

Banned
Seriously, who cares about any other device other than the Note III once you've had a Note II?

As much as I like my Note II, the second that apple releases an iphone with 1. a larger screen and 2. larger capacity, i'm going back. Really prefer ios still to android. I jumped ship for hardware. Got tired of dinky assed screen and endless pinch/spread zoom/scroll to even read a webpage properly. Fuck that shit!

As much as I like my Note II, the second that apple releases an iphone with 1. a larger screen and 2. larger capacity, i'm going back. Really prefer ios still to android. I jumped ship for hardware. Got tired of dinky assed screen and endless pinch/spread zoom/scroll to even read a webpage properly. Fuck that shit!

so this is like having a mistress because your wife won't let you PIITA?

Eiolon

Hey guys, found I am eligible for an upgrade earlier than expected. I am looking to jump from a iPhone 4S to a Note II. The only thing I need to know is, does Android require syncing BS that Apple does with it's phones with an iTunes like system?

I am wanting to just drag and drop my files into my phone like a flash drive and not having to worry about losing my songs, movies, etc just because I put something on it from a different computer.

adelante

Hey guys, found I am eligible for an upgrade earlier than expected. I am looking to jump from a iPhone 4S to a Note II. The only thing I need to know is, does Android require syncing BS that Apple does with it's phones with an iTunes like system?

I am wanting to just drag and drop my files into my phone like a flash drive and not having to worry about losing my songs, movies, etc just because I put something on it from a different computer.

Nope, no syncing needed. Mounts on a PC as an external drive and you can drag/drop stuff into it

totally drag and drop, though if you really want, (i know, i know, you don't) there are apps that will do iTunes-like syncing.

Mook1e

Anyone know of a good sports armband for this thing? I'm honestly fine with it in my pocket..my brother is now looking into grabbing one and is more on the paranoid side.
Why does he need an arm band? I use my Note 2 in the gym, but I use a bluetooth stereo headset and the incipio leather case. It's pretty great.

Why does he need an arm band? I use my Note 2 in the gym, but I use a bluetooth stereo headset and the incipio leather case. It's pretty great.
We ride lots of bike around D.C., Virginia and Maryland..he prefers not to have it in his pocket. Was looking for an armband or something that would attach to his camel bak. I've looked around and found zilch..perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?

Top Bottom