• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Ragus

Banned
I want to buy Note 2 and I have a question. I want to modify the look of home screen with Nova Launcher. Will I still be able to use features like s-pen and two apps on the screen at the same time?

Or maybe it will collide with Nova?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I want to buy Note 2 and I have a question. I want to modify the look of home screen with Nova Launcher. Will I still be able to use features like s-pen and two apps on the screen at the same time?

Or maybe it will collide with Nova?

S-Pen works just fine with Nova Launcher.

Ragus

Banned
Godammit, I still have to sell Lumia 920 to get my hands on Note II. No luck just yet. I can't fucking wait to get rid of it and then buy this huge motherfucker.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I just replaced my note 2 due to a screen defect (tiny pink spot on the screen), and there's something u can't remember how to fix with setting up the phone.

In the bar at the top of the screen there is a pen/pencil looking icon caused by a "Recommended Shortcuts (s pen)" section in the pull down menu just below the brightness slider.

Is there a setting to remove this and get rid of that pen icon in the notification bar? It's kinda annoying and I swear it wasn't there on my blast Note.

EDIT: False alarm, just had to reboot the phone.
glad to hear you were able to replace it. Did you try a different store this time? I know I would have done the same thing, my Note 2 is too gorgeous to put up with pink tinted rectangles on the large display

Seriously contemplating going into best buy today and switching out my iPhone 5 for this beast. YAY OR NAY???
I did this about a month ago with no regrets. I went from a 4.5ish inch phone (Samsung infuse) to try out the iPhone 5 and I could not get used to the small screen size. Took several taps to for things to register sometimes and things near the edge to the screen were also hard to hit. I even took it to the Apple store to check if it was defective, but the dude there had no trouble using it.

I would wait for the GS4 first to compare, though. I think the Note 2 is actually bigger than I need since I don't find myself using the s pen much at all. I think I would rather have an updated Note 10.1 tablet (I have a nexus 10 ATM) which would make the s pen more useful to me, and go with a slightly smaller screen phone.

Other than being a little bit big in my pockets, I'm not regretting my Note 2 at all. Great screen, very responsive, and it has run everything I've thrown at it.

glad to hear you were able to replace it. Did you try a different store this time? I know I would have done the same thing, my Note 2 is too gorgeous to put up with pink tinted rectangles on the large display
I had to go to an ATT store with a warranty replacement center. There was one near by in Seattle that had one in it. If there isn't one nearby you need to call in and they'll ship a replacement to you and you ship the busted one back once you get the new one.

If your phone is still within the first two weeks you can replace it wherever you bought it at, but mine was past that deadline.

Mudkips

Banned
So I get the following when trying to search from Google Now or the default browser's address bar.

400. That’s an error.Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request. That’s all we know.

Any ideas? Happens on wifi and on ATT. Already tried clearing browser cache and data in the application manager. Search works if I request the desktop site, but I can't do that for Google Now.

Firefox seems to work fine. Search suggestions come through fine as well.

Well deal is done. Bye bye iPhone. This thing is fucking amazing. Got the white 16gb with a nice screen protector and hard shell back case. Spent 140 to pay the entirety of my 2 year protection plan through best buy.

Really happy I did this:)

I want one of these bad. Does anyone have an idea of what pricing on contact will be like after the Note 3 drops?

Not exactly what you're asking but fyi, Best Buy has the Note 2 for $199 this week, down from the usual $299. If you're patient that price is sure to go down before long but damn, it's seriously a lot of phone for $200.

I bought the titanium grey this morning and absolutely could not be more pleased with it. Amazing phone.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
After this phone I really can't go back to 4 inch screen, sorry HTC one :(

So I am new to android. Any good methods for custom themes? I really just want a consistent icon theme pack. Not a fan of all icons being different shapes and sizes.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
it means that if you have a US T-Mobile Galaxy Note II and are in one of the cities where they turned on LTE, you can experience the low latency and enhanced speeds of 4G LTE.
Yeah I am.

I wonder if this had anything to do with why the person I know had problems with Wi-Fi calling. Whenever they called or got called, the person on the other end wouldn't be able to hear them. I ended up calling T-Mobile and Cox Cable with each other telling me they had no answer after troubleshooting. Had to turn off Wi-Fi calling and go to Cellular Preferred in the settings.

Ocho

XSC_2649-hero.jpg

Kind of wish we could 5 icons in a row without 3rd party launchers. :(

XSC_2649-hero.jpg

Kind of wish we could 5 icons in a row without 3rd party launchers. :(

I couldn't stand how much wasted space Touch Wiz has (honestly my only major complaint with it). Just look at all the unusable space they put in above the tray just to show what page you're on.

I would like to use Touchwiz since it has that great full page calendar app for the Note 2 that doesn't seem to be there for 3rd party launchers, but Touch Wiz wastes a full row for apps or widgets.

Not exactly what you're asking but fyi, Best Buy has the Note 2 for $199 this week, down from the usual $299. If you're patient that price is sure to go down before long but damn, it's seriously a lot of phone for $200.

I bought the titanium grey this morning and absolutely could not be more pleased with it. Amazing phone.

Thanks. Just realized my upgrade isn't until Sept. anyhow so I must wait. :(

KillGore

So I think I'm ready to hack (root? same thing??) my phone. I've never done so before but it shouldn't be that hard, right? Where do I start? Are there different roms? which one is the best?

Help GAF. Even a link with a tutorial or an overview would be fine.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Top Bottom