• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I had to press the Menu button and then press Settings when in the app. It was already set to Always Talk in the Settings.

That did it. It was off for some reason.

I tried asking it who the prime minister was but it didn't talk but when I asked about the Raptors it told me.

Happiness is me!

commissar

While I only had it for two days, the size was fine about the house. Still fucking huge for a phone though so I returned it today.

The other factor is that it really does too much for how I want to use a phone lol.
Had a weird momen in the train where I realised I'd enjoyed the trip more using my slow forum-browsing-only 2G iPhone.

Lovely piece of tech, just not for me.

Ocho

While I only had it for two days, the size was fine about the house. Still fucking huge for a phone though so I returned it today.

The other factor is that it really does too much for how I want to use a phone lol.
Had a weird momen in the train where I realised I'd enjoyed the trip more using my slow forum-browsing-only 2G iPhone.

Lovely piece of tech, just not for me.

iNxK3R1mfP7gP.gif

commissar

lol. I felt like I would endlessly consume media instead of looking out the window and thinking.
I spend enough time on the PC already :p Glad you guys are enjoying the note 2 though.

I've had random people compliment the phone while I'm on the train. It's crazy.

did i mention some chick in the bank the other day was like "is that the Galaxy Note II?" and i was like "yes" and she was like "should i get that or an iPhone 5" and i was like "this, it's the best device i've ever used"

Anyone got a good demo video for the phone? I saw one for the note 10, if most of those features are in the note 2, I know I'm missing out. I want to see what else I might be missing.

lol. I felt like I would endlessly consume media instead of looking out the window and thinking.
I spend enough time on the PC already :p Glad you guys are enjoying the note 2 though.

would you say the only bad thing about the Note 2 is its almost too good?

Anyone got a good demo video for the phone? I saw one for the note 10, if most of those features are in the note 2, I know I'm missing out. I want to see what else I might be missing.

the OP has videos!

Ondore

Got mine today, already had to restore to factory once. Oh well, got the obligatory drop out of the way early so it should be smooth sailing from here.

Silly question: Is there a way to tell the phone to not use cellular data when it's connected to a specific wi-fi network? I'm on a really limited data plan because Canada, and I'm worried I'll blow past my cap getting apps and such at home. I'm willing to root if needed.

Mook1e

Got mine today, already had to restore to factory once. Oh well, got the obligatory drop out of the way early so it should be smooth sailing from here.

Silly question: Is there a way to tell the phone to not use cellular data when it's connected to a specific wi-fi network? I'm on a really limited data plan because Canada, and I'm worried I'll blow past my cap getting apps and such at home. I'm willing to root if needed.
If it's connected to wifi, it automatically does not use cellular data.

kmfdmpig

did i mention some chick in the bank the other day was like "is that the Galaxy Note II?" and i was like "yes" and she was like "should i get that or an iPhone 5" and i was like "this, it's the best device i've ever used"

While waiting for an oil change someone asked me about my phone as well and said he would get one that day. It was a bit weird.

Went through hell and back to get this phone today. But it's finally mine, and I'm actually nervous as heck. My case that I bought last week is in my mail box, which my college so kindly locks on weekends (Saturday, pff, mail don't run on Saturdays, right? -_-). I'm finally about to get a chance to check it out!

I-hate-u

Call the carrier to disable cellular data access or use their website.

Do I need to root to install Google's photo sphere camera app (from 4.2)? I remember reading someone here got it running on his Note 2.

Today I was taking photos of the cloudy sky with my phone and I suddenly realized how cool it would have been if I had the photo sphere camera from 4.2

Do I need to root to install Google's photo sphere camera app (from 4.2)? I remember reading someone here got it running on his Note 2.

Today I was taking photos of the cloudy sky with my phone and I suddenly realized how cool it would have been if I had the photo sphere camera from 4.2

yeah, you need root for it to work properly. the install package has some library files that need to be there along with the camera/gallery apk.

yeah, you need root for it to work properly. the install package has some library files that need to be there along with the camera/gallery apk.

aha I see. I'm still on the first firmware out of the box, haven't updated. Should I root first then update through Samsung (mine is international unlocked), or can I update first then root later? I guess I'm asking if updating to latest official software would make rooting harder or undoable? #androidnoob

aha I see. I'm still on the first firmware out of the box, haven't updated. Should I root first then update through Samsung (mine is international unlocked), or can I update first then root later? I guess I'm asking if updating to latest official software would make rooting harder or undoable? #androidnoob

update first. updating will unroot the phone anyway.

Samsung devices are usually pretty easy to root, even when a carrier like Verizon decides they want them locked...

JCizzle

Would any current or past owners mind sharing any complaints or issues they've had with the phone? My previous dive into Android (thunderbolt) was a total mess - texts were sent to the wrong recepients, it became super slow, never got OS updates, etc. I've read a lot of glowing things about the Note II and it seems like an awesome phone, but I want to go in with my eyes open this time and also understand the cons rather than just focus on the awesome.

update first. updating will unroot the phone anyway.

Samsung devices are usually pretty easy to root, even when a carrier like Verizon decides they want them locked...

Can I first install a 1-click root app (since my kernel still has the unpatched Exynos exploit), install the camera and required library files, then do the OTA update? Or would the ota update break the the previously installed 4.2 camera and gallery?

I'm just trying to figure out the easiest/safest method to go about this.

Also, anything else I might consider doing while rooted (besides Nandroid/EFS backup) before updating?

Would any current or past owners mind sharing any complaints or issues they've had with the phone? My previous dive into Android (thunderbolt) was a total mess - texts were sent to the wrong recepients, it became super slow, never got OS updates, etc. I've read a lot of glowing things about the Note II and it seems like an awesome phone, but I want to go in with my eyes open this time and also understand the cons rather than just focus on the awesome.

My only complaint with the phone so far is that it can be difficult/tiring to handle with one hand, particularly when I'm laying in bed watching YouTube and trying to keep it propped up with one hand in landscape, the capacitive Back button tends to get pressed accidentally which can be very annoying, and to a lesser extent the power key. Mine is still naked without any case/cover which makes it feel pretty slippery due to being smooth, thin, and relatively heavy. Some of these issues might be improved with a good cover case (e.g. kickstand, better-grip, and making the buttons farther from the edges so harder to press accidentally).

kmfdmpig

My only complaint with the phone so far is that it can be difficult/tiring to handle with one hand, particularly when I'm laying in bed watching YouTube and trying to keep it propped up with one hand in landscape, the capacitive Back button tends to get pressed accidentally which can be very annoying, and to a lesser extent the power key. Mine is still naked without any case/cover which makes it feel pretty slippery due to being smooth, thin, and relatively heavy. Some of these issues might be improved with a good cover case (e.g. kickstand, better-grip, and making the buttons farther from the edges so harder to press accidentally).
Here's a very cheap case that makes it much easier to hold without adding much bulk at all.
It takes about 2 weeks to arrive, however.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40036522747...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
They have a similar one with a kickstand but it throws the balance off and the kickstand itself is not very good so I switched form the Kickstand one to one without a kickstand.

Can I first install a 1-click root app (since my kernel still has the unpatched Exynos exploit), install the camera and required library files, then do the OTA update? Or would the ota update break the the previously installed 4.2 camera and gallery?

I'm just trying to figure out the easiest/safest method to go about this.

Also, anything else I might consider doing while rooted (besides Nandroid/EFS backup) before updating?

the OTA might wipe them, though i can't say thats a sure thing. i dunno about safest, but easiest is probably just to get a pre-rooted update with custom recovery and use ODIN to flash, then flash the 4.2 camera files after in the custom recovery.

My beefs so far:
- The screen is a fingerprint magnet.
- If you have sweaty hands, it'll show on the screen.
- Using the phone with one hand can get tiring.
- S Pen is NOT perfect. There's a certain edge on the screen where it's inaccurate.

Otherwise love it.

Ocho

Best phone I've owned. Size is great, battery is terrific. Can't recommend any other android phone over this.

My beefs so far:
- The screen is a fingerprint magnet.

I don't find that to be the case at all. The screen of the Note 2 is coated with an oleophobic layer that reduces finger prints and smudges. Plus it's extremely easy to wipe off (it basically wipes itself clean every time I put it and out of my pocket).

Are you using a screen protector? That might be the culprit.

The screen of my HP Touchpad tablet gets way more gunked up with finger smudges compared to my SGN2.

Here's a look at the difference the oleophobic layer makes: http://youtu.be/4GzYnDnZDRg?t=8m

Loving this thing so much, thanks again for all the info/help. Was wondering if there was a handwriting to text option on the phone? Or possibly an app?

Skyzard

Banned
Btw the prediction in SwiftKey is phenomenal, definitely pick it up or try the trial if you haven't already. Saves so much time once you're used to it - not much different to the default in appearance. The default is pretty good too but SwiftKey is just something else.

DJwest

Sure it has been asked a thousand times but kindly bear with me: My old Galaxy S2 is dying. I'm hesitant between waiting for the S4 or grabbing a Note 2. What does tech-GAF advise ?

Sure it has been asked a thousand times but kindly bear with me: My old Galaxy S2 is dying. I'm hesitant between waiting for the S4 or grabbing a Note . What does tech-GAF advise ?
How long can it hold out? S4 prolly won't get released until at least 3 months. There's some rumor that Note III might even be a bit bigger which you might not like.

DJwest

How long can it hold out? S4 prolly won't get released until at least 3 months. There's some rumor that Note III might even be a bit bigger which you might not like.

At this rate, I'm not sure my S2 will last 2 more months... I'm in the UK, and rumours point to an April release right? In terms of sizes, the Note 2 is the absolute maximum I can bear, if the Note 3 is bigger then its a no go area for me.

i like how the 4.1.2 update doesn't have 1 finger expand/contract on notifications... WTF Samsung?

At this rate, I'm not sure my S2 will last 2 more months... I'm in the UK, and rumours point to an April release right? In terms of sizes, the Note 2 is the absolute maximum I can bear, if the Note 3 is bigger then its a no go area for me.

wait until the announcement at least... if the phone doesn't last that long, then the Note 2 would be a great choice!

Angst

I'm in the same boat as you are and have decided to hold out for the announcement at least.

Im pretty sure you can also call using your wifi in the sittings. ...

Lemonte

hahaha... I complained like a month ago why note 2 doesn't run games that good. I have had note2 for a 2 months now and I just now realized that I had power save on this entire time... games run much better now, not that they ran bad to begin with.

Apologies if this has been mentioned a million times before, but anyone have issues with lengthy replies on m.neogaf.com using Dolphin? The text gets lost under the keyboard and no amount of swipe action will move it enough to see what I'm typing.

Actually, most of the reply box seems a little buggy in Dolphin on my Note 2.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Apologies if this has been mentioned a million times before, but anyone have issues with lengthy replies on m.neogaf.com using Dolphin? The text gets lost under the keyboard and no amount of swipe action will move it enough to see what I'm typing.

Actually, most of the reply box seems a little buggy in Dolphin on my Note 2.
Using which keyboard?

Enron

Banned
I finally found an Otterbox Commuter for this phone in the wild. Picked it up and spent a day with it on my phone....not sure I like it. It makes the phone JUST bulky enough that one-hand operation is nearly impossible. I mean, it was awkward before but i've been dropping this thing in the carseat or on the desk all day :/

Top Bottom