• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

MoxManiac

So is this the step up from Galaxy SIII (serious question, i'm ignorant about smartphones and am shopping for one - not a good combo, I know)

Zzoram

The Note 2 has a slightly faster CPU (100MHz) more than the S3 and a larger screen but the specs are otherwise the same IIRC.

CiSTM

Banned
The Note 2 has a slightly faster CPU (100MHz) more than the S3 and a larger screen but the specs are otherwise the same IIRC.
It has also 2GB of RAM while S3 has 1GB. Also Note's processor clocks at 1600MHz while S3's is at 1400MHz.
Edit. I'm not 100% sure about the specs, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks like the earliest I can get it for about $680 on the 8th of October (+ 2-3 days for shipping).

Has anyone seen it on sale anywhere else? (Nothing on eBay or Amazon yet.)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It has also 2GB of RAM while S3 has 1GB. Also Note's processor clocks at 1600MHz while S3's is at 1400MHz.
Edit. I'm not 100% sure about the specs, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

NAM S3's have 2GB, international versions have 1GB

Windam

Scaley member
Just got my Note back in April, but good God if I wouldn't sell this thing in a heartbeat for the Note II.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
http://youtu.be/hOX3HYDwTCY

New Korean Note II video

completely sold on this phone

I just purchased an iPhone 5 (my 4th iPhone since buying the original), and I absolutely love it to bits - it's really great. But I just watched that video, and I gotta admit, some of that stuff looks pretty damn cool. Multi-window looks spectacular - I'd love something like that on iOS. That, and notes launching automatically when you pull out the pen are the two things that I think I'd use on an almost daily basis. It's just the size of the device is much too large for me. I'm a big guy with big hands; but I also travel a bunch and need it with me in a pocket at all times when in the office.

Out of curiosity, how good is the battery on this thing?

CiSTM

Banned
I have read more then few reviews on this phone and non of them mentioned or showed multi-window. This phone just keeps on giving, tho in the end not sure how much I'm going to use it... Still one cool feature :b

I see the op says "just in time for the holidays" but when exactly does it come out?

I'd like to evaluate it next to the iPhone 5 and 920 before deciding which of the 3 to buy.

Windam

Scaley member
I just purchased an iPhone 5 (my 4th iPhone since buying the original), and I absolutely love it to bits - it's really great. But I just watched that video, and I gotta admit, some of that stuff looks pretty damn cool. Multi-window looks spectacular - I'd love something like that on iOS. That, and notes launching automatically when you pull out the pen are the two things that I think I'd use on an almost daily basis. It's just the size of the device is much too large for me. I'm a big guy with big hands; but I also travel a bunch and need it with me in a pocket at all times when in the office.

Out of curiosity, how good is the battery on this thing?

I have the original Note in an Otterbox Defender and it fits in all my pockets just fine (I wear slim fitting pants, too). It's pretty comfy actually; I don't notice it most of the time. Unless you want to fit it in a shirt/blazer pocket. No clue how well it would fit in then. The fact that the Note II is somewhat slimmer may make it a bit less unwieldy than the original Note. The battery on my Note is pretty decent. Lasts around 8-ish hours on LTE with some moderate data usage, more if I just use HSPA. I'd imagine the Note II would last longer seeing as it has a higher capacity (3100 mAh on the Note II vs 2500 mAh on the Note).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I see the op says "just in time for the holidays" but when exactly does it come out?

I'd like to evaluate it next to the iPhone 5 and 920 before deciding which of the 3 to buy.

Nobody knows, but I think the guesses for North America are end of October/beginning of November.

The video is nice, and Multi window looks great, but goddamn I hate TouchWiz. And I kind of doubt the multi window stuff will be able to be used in alternative ROMs.

out already in S.Korea, tomorrow in the UK, and sometime in October-November for everyone else.

Samsung has an event scheduled for the 24th in NYC, people are expecting US dates then.

Emily Chu

Banned
Nobody knows, but I think the guesses for North America are end of October/beginning of November.

The video is nice, and Multi window looks great, but goddamn I hate TouchWiz. And I kind of doubt the multi window stuff will be able to be used in alternative ROMs.

it's all just 1s and 0s (software and pretty much every feature in touchwiz

such as pop up video has already made it to other apps and roms JB and ICS

I'm pretty sure someone is going to dump the note II touch wiz rom and rip out useful features as they see fit and implement them on new and existing roms

tsumineko

Looks fantastic, but I'm not going to give up my old Galaxy Note yet. Thing is still rocketing along just fine! Best phone I have ever owned.

9nJ7N.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
it's all just 1s and 0s (software and pretty much every feature in touchwiz

such as pop up video has already made it to other apps and roms JB and ICS

I'm pretty sure someone is going to dump the note II touch wiz rom and rip out useful features as they see fit and implement them on new and existing roms

What roms have the pop up video feature? What phones?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
http://youtu.be/hOX3HYDwTCY

New Korean Note II video

completely sold on this phone

This video looks awesome. Well, the functionality looks awesome. It looks confusing as fuck. I love gadgets and there's no way that stuff looks intuitive. Not to mention what are the odds it'll actually work that seamlessly? ZERO.

It's a nice, dream world, idealistic video. But it won't run that well or as smoothly.

This video looks awesome. Well, the functionality looks awesome. It looks confusing as fuck. I love gadgets and there's no way that stuff looks intuitive. Not to mention what are the odds it'll actually work that seamlessly? ZERO.

It's a nice, dream world, idealistic video. But it won't run that well or as smoothly.

So lets close this thread and not have anyone buy it then?

mclem

So is this the step up from Galaxy SIII (serious question, i'm ignorant about smartphones and am shopping for one - not a good combo, I know)

Funnily enough, I'm in the same boat :)

Was tempted by an S3, but now I'm weighing that up against this. Trying to find details on Euro offers for it.

Kind of a glass half empty guy, aren't you. (Can't blame you though with the reputation that Samsung has).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjPZIndKzU

Edit: Rumours are that one of the apps in multi-window mode must be a Samsung default app so as not to break Android rules?

Radec

Stocks are already here in my place but available colors are just White and Blue @ $700

Will wait for Titanium Grey I guess.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Kind of a glass half empty guy, aren't you. (Can't blame you though with the reputation that Samsung has).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjP... rules?[/QUOTE] I read the Tab Note reviews.

Mook1e

ummm.. is this a joke???

worst battery test EVER! rushed review confirmed.

I wouldn't call it the worst ever, but it does indicate they were rushing to finish.
I hate it when reviewers just say "needs a recharge after moderate to heavy use all day"
How vague can you be?

Would love to see a comparison between this and i5 when more people get their hands on it. I was planning on getting an i5 when they are back in stock (I need a new phone desperately), but seeing how nice this phone is + everyone having an iphone, I may have to hold off.

alternade

How reliant are a lot of these features on the s-pen? I want this phone but don't want to have to pull it out every time I want to do something cool.

Amagon

I'm still debating either getting this or the SIII. I'm still using the first Droid so idk, lol.

Leaning towards the Note

Top Bottom