• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

CiSTM

Banned
Eh, Note 2 costs 679€ here :mad:
There is no way I'm going to spend that much on a phone. I guess I'll buy the original Note since it goes around 479€ and with new Note around it's probably going to be cheaper soon. Too bad since I really wanted this phone.

kmfdmpig

How comfortable is it? It looks kinda small.

Wow. Just saw the multiscreen on galaxy note. It's probably still kinda useless on the note, but on galaxy tabs and note 10 it seems like an amazing addition.

Is that feature exclusive to Korea? I've read a few reports online about the feature not being available in Dubai or the UK, for example.

spadge

I bought a Note 1 at launch, and it took me about a month before I really liked the phone. I couldn't stand touchwiz. I'm a lefty, the app drawer button is in the far right hand corner, and you can't change it. What the fuck, Samsung.

I'm now running a CM10 rom on it that I really like, but you lose most of the pen functions. The everyday experience is miles better without Samsung's shit everywhere though. Also much prefer having a lower DPI on a screen this size.

I haven't decided between the Padfone 2, Lumia 920 and the Note 2 yet. If I can put CM10 on the Note 2, I'll be more inclined to buy one.

yNWYG.jpg

"Smart rotation" makes its debut on the Note 2, and like the Galaxy S3's Smart Stay, it uses a bit of front-facing camera trickery. When the phone rotates, the device uses the front-facer to work out what orientation your face is in and then match the orientation of the screen accordingly, based on the built-in orientation sensor. That means even if you're reading at an angle, the Note 2 can recognize this and keep things the right way up. In our experience it functions pretty well, though the fact that it uses the front-facing camera means you need a little ambient light in order for it to work.

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-note-2-s-smart-rotation-solves-ultimate-first-world-problem

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Do these front facing camera tricks actually work? And how much battery do they chew up? I went over to CM10 pretty much right when I got my GS3 so I never screwed around with Smart Stay.

Argyle

Do these front facing camera tricks actually work? And how much battery do they chew up? I went over to CM10 pretty much right when I got my GS3 so I never screwed around with Smart Stay.

Smart Stay is awesome! Smart Rotation works pretty well too (using it now on my GS3 with leaked Jelly Bean firmware, I'm lying on my side)...

No idea how much it impacts battery life, as I leave them on all the time.

Cipherr

I haven't tried the orientation stuff, but I have tried smart stay on a GS3, its great, and immediately noticeable when I go back to my Nexus and no longer have it. Definitely something all smartphones need to adopt.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Note is a fairly expensive phone. Worth it, though.

AAequal

Banned
The Note is a fairly expensive phone. Worth it, though.
Don't know about it. You can almost get high end tablet with price of Note 2. I know it's not the same thing but going price here is 700€ and that's simply too freaking much. iPad 32 GB isn't even 700€ here. I do want Note 2 but I guess I will wait until next christmas.

Jeff-DSA

Dang it. I want this phone, but I want to see the next Nexus phone first. I'm still liking my GS2 a lot, but the screen and features on the Note 2 have me all kinds of excited.

Maybe I'll hold off a while longer and upgrade my tablet this holiday season and do my phone in the Spring or Summer.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Don't know about it. You can almost get high end tablet with price of Note 2. I know it's not the same thing but going price here is 700€ and that's simply too freaking much. iPad 32 GB isn't even 700€ here. I do want Note 2 but I guess I will wait until next christmas.

Be like me and own both an iPad 3 and a Note.

*fap*fap*fap*

Since there's no lanyard linking the S Pen and the Galaxy Note II, the phablet uses its accelerometer to detect you walking away and will alert you if the stylus isn't in its slot. The feature is finely balanced and it won't trigger unless you're several steps away - so you won't be getting false positives when walking and writing, but if you really misplaced it and walked away it will start beeping.

wow.

Spinluck

Who cares?

What the hell is with people being so self conscience about this?

I've seen people fucking face chat with iPads in public, why does it matter?

Plus, you can find quality bluetooth headsets at half the size of my thumb for $40 if it bothers you that much.

EDIT: Can't wait for this beauty.

Plus, you can find quality bluetooth headsets at half the size of my thumb for $40 if it bothers you that much.

yeah, i see people taking videos and pictures with tablets, i dunno why some people are upset about stuff like that. i mean, i even made a phone call with my bro's iPad 2 and Talkatone just because i could.

Cipherr

Since there's no lanyard linking the S Pen and the Galaxy Note II, the phablet uses its accelerometer to detect you walking away and will alert you if the stylus isn't in its slot. The feature is finely balanced and it won't trigger unless you're several steps away - so you won't be getting false positives when walking and writing, but if you really misplaced it and walked away it will start beeping.

wow.

Damn that is awesome. They are really getting better with their software ideas. Not all of it is worth a damn, but they are more and more doing things that are very useful and well thought out.

tigerin

yea, i agree with you. the size is freaking perfect for me , i really want to point out that out to people when they make that comment(on other forum) but i wouldn't want to fall victim to their troll. cause that would be stupid to be frustrated over the internet.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
does it feel to big to keep comfortably in your pocket?

Actually, not nearly as bad as the Note 1. It's thinner, so it doesn't feel so cumbersome in pocket, nor so big when you sit...it also fits in cup holders now!

Still, it's longer so ymmv

kinggroin

Banned
So, no leaked JB touch wiz rom for Verizon yet? I'm sick of the glitchy AOSP roms and pseudo project butter implementation.

Holy shit. Thought this was the GS3 thread

Samsung knows the screen on the Galaxy Note II is big and you might not find it comfortable for one handed use, so they added a few settings to make it easier. You can have the QWERTY keyboard, phone keypad and in-call buttons, calculator and unlock pattern moved to one side of the screen (left or right, whichever you prefer), to make them easier to use with one hand.

xvqsq.png

for people with small hands...

Anyone on T-Mobile here planning to get the phone? Will the international version work with T-Mobile's 4G (HSPA+)?
I want it desperately, but I probably won't pick it up for a while. Currently they don't use the same bands, but that is changing. you would be at Edge only speed until sometime next year.

I want it desperately, but I probably won't pick it up for a while. Currently they don't use the same bands, but that is changing. you would be at Edge only speed until sometime next year.

Yeah, realised that after some internet research. Also found this map to see where the 1900 band HSPA is going live.

http://www.airportal.de/

One town very close to me has it but my zip code doesn't have it yet (I spoke to T-Mobile). I just loaded a 100 bucks into my T-Mobile account or I would have jumped to straight talk.

Bboy AJ

It is a blessing to have DrFunk part of Android GAF.

Top Bottom