• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

kage

Anyone know of good sketching/painting apps that support pen pressure?

Tried Sketchbook Mobile Express, does not support pressure. I'd buy the normal non-free app but I can't find a confirmation about pen pressure anywhere...

Natiko

Banned
This phone seems really awesome, just not sure I'm ready to grope with one that huge. Decisions, decisions..

Right now, not all Android apps are supported, but the multi-window feature isn't just limited to Samsung apps like it is on the Note 10.1. Multi-window on the Note 2 supports a wide range of Google apps, including Gmail, YouTube, Chrome and Talk. Third-party offerings like the official Twitter app are supported too, though many others are not.

hope this means a Note 10.1 update coming to make stuff work better there too

nice!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Man, I went in to hold a handset today to torture myself, and the old Note feels so unwieldy to the new one. And all these awesome new features making it seemingly the de facto best smartphone on the market.

Want one so bad, but no way I can swing £500 on a damn phone :(

N7105 is LTE 2600/800. You need SGH-I317, which has 700/AWS for att lte

The phone bands in the US have to be the most stupid thing imaginable.

I am getting the 7100 and will be stuck on Edge speeds for a month or so till T-Mobile moves to the 1900 band in my area.

dejay

Banned
I was holding out for a Nokia 920 and was about to delve into the WP8 ecosystem, but then I saw some demos for the Note II and saw some of the demos for Google Now. I ordered the Note II the same day and should have it in a week (Australia).

I feel a little bad because I really wanted to try WP8 for a while and wanted WP8 and Nokia to succeed and become a viable third leg in the smart phone market, but damn if everything just doesn't look great on on the Note II and Jellybean.

nib95

Banned

I'm not convinced by this review. First there is a factual inaccuracy about "pentile-lite". It's not true that green has been replaced with blue, they're equal just spaced differently. It's actually RGB.

A few other bits and bobs about the review too, such as the commentary about a generation being off with colour accuracy and highlighting of the improper whites. What about the gross inaccuracy of blacks in other devices and the fact that there are colour modes to compensate for the more obtuse or vibrant ones? The Note IIs screen is actually the closest AMOLED has come to LCD whites in a mobile phone (they are now very close) but it still has black levels that are considerably better than their lcd counterparts.

I'd have argued the screen should have been a positive and not a negative for the review.

Durask

Tempted to buy the LTE version and sell my 4S and Nexus 7 to lessen the pain...

Nexus 7 is kinda gathering dust right now, so won't be a big deal.
I like the iPhone but I love the hueg screen of Note 2.

Since my car only has a proprietary Apple connector and nothing else will need to dig my ancient iPod Nano out of the closet.

nib95

Banned
iVerge reviewer posts image clearly showing display is not pentile.
iVerge reviewer says screen is pentile in accompanying text
iVerge reviewer claims Google Now is hidden away, apparently doesn't know about long press of menu button
good review, A-

Pretty much. Among other things. But yea, to me Google Now is just as accessible as Siri or S Voice so I really don't get what he's talking about.

Cipherr

It looks like they rated the reception and call quality lower than that of the S3.

I had no reception issues while reviewing the Galaxy Note II. It kept connected to my network reliably, never came close to dropping a call, even in areas of my home where other phones have occasionally struggled, and delivered clear voice calls. I found call quality to be a particular highlight on the Galaxy S III, and while I can’t say the same about the Note II, it acquitted itself very well in performing the duties of a phone.

That's all they say about it.

iVerge reviewer posts image clearly showing display is not pentile.
iVerge reviewer says screen is pentile in accompanying text
iVerge reviewer claims Google Now is hidden away, apparently doesn't know about long press of menu button
good review, A-

I'm not convinced by this review. First there is a factual inaccuracy about "pentile-lite". It's not true that green has been replaced with blue, they're equal just spaced differently. It's actually RGB.

A few other bits and bobs about the review too, such as the commentary about a generation being off with colour accuracy and highlighting of the improper whites. What about the gross inaccuracy of blacks in other devices and the fact that there are colour modes to compensate for the more obtuse or vibrant ones? The Note IIs screen is actually the closest AMOLED has come to LCD whites in a mobile phone (they are now very close) but it still has black levels that are considerably better than their lcd counterparts.

I'd have argued the screen should have been a positive and not a negative for the review.

Their final ratings in each category seem to be pretty fair though.

Cipherr

Their final ratings in each category seem to be pretty fair though.

I suppose I expected them to rate the software category higher than they did on the S3. S3 was graded with ICS, JB is smoother faster has Google Now etc, And overall the software suite for the Note 2 is clearly superior to that of the first note. But of course there is the scale of time, right now is not last year... so just because they improved the software over last year, doesnt mean they improved it enough for him to feel it should be graded higher.

Swag

Debating whether I want to sell my GS3 and pick up a Note II instead, not sure if I'd be able to handle a phone that big though, anyone Note owners have trouble fitting it in their pockets?

I've been jackin' it for this phone for almost a year, reading rumor crap that this was heading our way as the Samsung Journal, etc. Now I am a month away from it coming out on Verizon. Psyched!

But is it true that they are going to release the 16gb model only, then some months down the road release the big 64GB, expandable to 128gb (with micro card)?

If so, I'mma go apeshit.

I suppose I expected them to rate the software category higher than they did on the S3. S3 was graded with ICS, JB is smoother faster has Google Now etc, And overall the software suite for the Note 2 is clearly superior to that of the first note. But of course there is the scale of time, right now is not last year... so just because they improved the software over last year, doesnt mean they improved it enough for him to feel it should be graded higher.

True, but they did give Performance a 10, which is what JB seems to have brought to the table. As for Google Now improving the software, maybe they felt they needed to dock points for Samsung pushing that into the background and promoting S-Voice.

Either way, the phone looks like one of the best available options in the market.

One thing I do see in all these reviews of the Note 1/2 is that the reviewers seem to grudgingly admit to themselves that there are people who like very large screen sizes (though not without getting a dig in to mention that they are not sure why large screens in phones are popular).

Cipherr

One thing I do see in all these reviews of the Note 1/2 is that the reviewers seem to grudgingly admit to themselves that there are people who like very large screen sizes (though not without getting a dig in to mention that they are not sure why large screens in phones are popular).

Yeah I definitely noticed that too.

TheVerge reviews are good until you get to the grading scale part. It's completely wack and inconsistent.

Looking at this review, the iPhone 5 review, and the Lumia 900 review, TheVerge reviewers really infuriate me. It feels like certain journalists review on a totally different scale than others. They give the iPhone 5 an 8.8 and this an 8.5, even though once you get down to the nit and grit of it, the Note exceeds it in everything except OS, which is just a matter of opinion. Then they say "It's time to stop giving Nokia a pass." I can't even understand that when they are giving iPhones raving reviews despite more of the same.

SRG01

I held a Note 1 for the first time at a Best Buy today. I have to say that the form factor is actually more comfortable than the awkwardness of the GN.

For me, I need the screen to be either small enough for my thumbs to reach across, or too large to prevent me from reaching in the first place. The GN is right between and has led to a lot of awkward reaches...

Come December, the Note II may be the first phone I've ever purchased at full price, barring the release of new Nexus devices, of course.

artist

Banned
TheVerge reviews are good until you get to the grading scale part. It's completely wack and inconsistent.

Looking at this review, the iPhone 5 review, and the Lumia 900 review, TheVerge reviewers really infuriate me. It feels like certain journalists review on a totally different scale than others. They give the iPhone 5 an 8.8 and this an 8.5, even though one you get down to the nit and grit of it, the Note exceeds it in everything except OS, which is just a matter of opinion. Then they say "It's time to stop giving Nokia a pass." I can't even understand that when they are giving iPhones raving reviews despite more of the same.
I'm not even sure why GAF has a hard-on for Verge reviews.

Emily Chu

Banned
should I get this phone to replace my Gnex if I already have a NExus 7 ?

or should I wait for the new nexus devices to see whats up ?

5.5" is mighty tempting I'm hoping there will be a Note Nexus 5.5 somewhere in those new nexuses

Durask

I will get rid of my Nexus 7 because don't have much use for it.

For home use I like iPad or similar sized tablets and Nexus 7 is too big to lug with me around, plus it's not a phone.

Mook1e

I don't know if it's because I've been jonesing for this Phone for a while or what, but the Verge review really sounded as if the reviewer was begrudgingly giving the Note II credit.
There were a few points made about it already in this thread, but also, every other review states the external speaker is loud and clear with excellent bass, but the reviewer acts unimpressed.

Every other review says call quality is excellent (when it's mentioned) and and improvement on the GSIII because the speaker and mic are closer to the ear and mouth.

Also, every other review can't stop talking about the extra custom apps in Touchwiz and this reviewer states "quantity not quality" or whatever. I like how the reviewer states that having 16 options is bad because "some of them he likes" and some can be trimmed. Why remove options? Other people might want those functions. Isn't it one of the advantages of Android that it's not one-size-fits-all? And NONE of the S apps add value to the user experience???

All of the reviews conducted in Europe show the HSPA to be faster than the One X and GSIII, not the case here, but different areas/towers etc..

Not to mention stating that South Korea fell in love with the Note 1 when everyone knows all 10 million units didn't just sell in South Korea.

The S-pen improvements are only "purportedly" easier to handle.

and this gem:
While I admit I didn’t think about using the S Pen at all for my first few hours with the Galaxy Note II, once I started playing around with it, I found myself using it more and more.

Who would have thought to use the S-pen when reviewing a Galaxy Note??!??

I love the photo comparison of the Note II and One X screens and all of the black space between subpixels seen on the One X pic.

It really sounds like the reviewer was pissed the Note II raped the One X in every department (besides screen)

Same score as the GSIII except it's faster, comes with the latest OS, and lasts longer. OK

All that said, I'll stop my rant.

God forbid a reviewer doesn't sound like he's on the company's payroll.

I prefer curmudgeon-y reviews. Every phone has flaws, the constant praise for these damn things is almost suffocating.

Aaanyway, I want this phone, but I'm completely befuddled by the network spectrum wavelengths and acronym soup. Is there a version out that I can get better than 2G (EDGE) speeds on T-mobile in the US? Or do I have to go through T-mobile directly (I'm not under contract and I don't really want to do that...)

Mook1e

God forbid a reviewer doesn't sound like he's on the company's payroll.

I prefer curmudgeon-y reviews. Every phone has flaws, the constant praise for these damn things is almost suffocating.

Aaanyway, I want this phone, but I'm completely befuddled by the network spectrum wavelengths and acronym soup. Is there a version out that I can get better than 2G (EDGE) speeds on T-mobile in the US? Or do I have to go through T-mobile directly (I'm not under contract and I don't really want to do that...)

You can buy the t-mobile phone un-subsidized.

Top Bottom