• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Erv

Is anybody using this phone with a straight talk plan? I would like to do that because I think in the end I would save money. But I'm not too knowledgeable on unlocked phones. I assume if I just by one off ebay I could use it with that plan or would I actually have to unlock it myself? How do you even unlock a phone.

Gattsu25

Banned
I have to admit that it's frustrating watching micro scratches form in the "gorilla glass" screen.

I've used my iPhone without a case for years and never had so much as a scuff appear, but this screen is scratched to hell and back despite using it in the exact same way.

Sagitario

While in pictures I never liked the phone's look, in person is beautiful (specially the blue one).

I always preferred the rectangular look of the [international] SII, but after having this phone for a week, I sure prefer the SIII now.

One thing I most definitely do not like: this phone is freaking fragile compared to its predecessor. The SII felt sturdy, built like a rock, it could handle a drop and the phone would be fine. On the other side, the SIII feels like it could break if not treated gently, and the shell/casing seems like a scratch/bends magnet.

GuessWho

Is anyone having issues displaying embedded gif on neogaf? When browsing they never or rarely animate.I have to click on them to get them to animate but that opens up a new page.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
My iPhone is no longer holding a charge and the screen is smashed to shit thanks to a bike wreck last October. I'm finally due for an upgrade and I've got the pebble blue SIII coming on Monday. I can't wait.

Installed CM10 8/18 and all seems to be working except for my 64gb exFat card can't be read. Think i'll have to format it to FAT32. Stock is awesome.

tigerin

While in pictures I never liked the phone's look, in person is beautiful (specially the blue one).

I always preferred the rectangular look of the [international] SII, but after having this phone for a week, I sure prefer the SIII now.

One thing I most definitely do not like: this phone is freaking fragile compared to its predecessor. The SII felt sturdy, built like a rock, it could handle a drop and the phone would be fine. On the other side, the SIII feels like it could break if not treated gently, and the shell/casing seems like a scratch/bends magnet.

i'm surprised a phone this size is really light tho.

zedge

I hated the blue when I first saw it.. now that I have one I love it. I agree that it does not feel as sturdy as my GS2 did though. Have to keep a cover on it. Just picked up the slim Samsung ones.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Gotta wait until March for my Sprint upgrade. I guess perhaps a Galaxy S4 will be close by then.

I really don't like this Nexus S4g.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
If you have the International version it is probably true. But not for any of the US variants.

apparently rogers, a Canadian telecom, is hinting at the end of august as well:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/10690/page/2

"I was told by a tech at Rogers today that JB is supposed to be released towards the end of next month, and the note is supposed to get it just afterwards. Fingers crossed!"

3 weeks ago and before the news broke so it sounds credible

Babalu.

Are there any recommendations for cases that have kickstands? I found this case-mate POP and it looks good, but people say its kind of hard to get in and out of pockets which I hate when its rubberized. Ide like it to be kind of smooth for easy in and out of pockets without pulling out the pocket.

Anyone have any experience with this one or another kick-stand case?

Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Case-Mate-POP!-2-Kickstand-Case-detail2.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
apparently rogers, a Canadian telecom, is hinting at the end of august as well:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/10690/page/2

"I was told by a tech at Rogers today that JB is supposed to be released towards the end of next month, and the note is supposed to get it just afterwards. Fingers crossed!"

3 weeks ago and before the news broke so it sounds credible

Eh, I am not holding my breath. CM10 is working well enough for me that I don't really care to go back to Touchwiz anyway.

tigerin

Are there any recommendations for cases that have kickstands? I found this case-mate POP and it looks good, but people say its kind of hard to get in and out of pockets which I hate when its rubberized. Ide like it to be kind of smooth for easy in and out of pockets without pulling out the pocket.

I kinda like the qmadix metallic snap case.
Eh, I am not holding my breath. CM10 is working well enough for me that I don't really care to go back to Touchwiz anyway.
What is cm10? Is it available in Google play app store?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Does anyone use a stylus with their SIII? I was holding out for the Note 2 before my phone died and had to settle for the SIII. I was just curious if it works well.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Are you sure? I think codeworkx just started working on thw hwcomposer for it and even said that project butter is not even in the leaked samsung 4.1 firmware.

Not sure at all now, just read people on XDA claiming in the CM10 thread that it had been active since the August 10 update. I am probably wrong.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Case-Mate-POP!-2-Kickstand-Case-detail2.jpg

I got that case (off another gaffer in fact) and it works well. Kick stand is kinda weak though and I feel like I might accidentally break it but I guess it gets the job done well enough.

Ive had no issues getting it out of my pocket but I also don't tend to have pants/shorts with smaller pockets to begin with.

itxaka

Defeatist
Not sure at all now, just read people on XDA claiming in the CM10 thread that it had been active since the August 10 update. I am probably wrong.

I think is mmore that 4.1 is freaking fast. The first alpha I tried it was much faster and that didn't had project butter.

butter will only bring removing of the lag to the s3, because it's a beast that runs anything :D

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think I have to exchange my phone. For some reason, when I plug in a mini-to-mini cable from my phone to the aux input in my car, and I move the phone or plug at all, it crackles and pops and cuts out, sometimes even starting up the voice assist on the phone or stopping my music/podcasts.

So I think there is some short happening in the headphone jack. The weird thing about it is though that I can't really replicate it on headphones, it only happens when hooked up to my car's aux input.

A.Romero

I think I have to exchange my phone. For some reason, when I plug in a mini-to-mini cable from my phone to the aux input in my car, and I move the phone or plug at all, it crackles and pops and cuts out, sometimes even starting up the voice assist on the phone or stopping my music/podcasts.

So I think there is some short happening in the headphone jack. The weird thing about it is though that I can't really replicate it on headphones, it only happens when hooked up to my car's aux input.

Do Other devices work fine on the car? It sounds like the typical symptom of a broken cable...

The fact that the headphones work strongly suggest that the port is not failing...

I got a strong great looking two part case, but it just hurts me so deeply to have to lose that amazing thinness and weight. Thats the risk of buying from the internet i guess. Im now looking at some thin shells as a possible replacement.

Kauwn

Neo Member
I have to admit that it's frustrating watching micro scratches form in the "gorilla glass" screen.

I've used my iPhone without a case for years and never had so much as a scuff appear, but this screen is scratched to hell and back despite using it in the exact same way.

This phone makes me want to stab myself with the micro scratches. Can't believe it marks up so easily. I literally turned it face down on my table because the charging light was irritating (I've now turned the bugger off) and it picked up a fair few from dust or something. Fuck knows. 1st phone I've had with gorilla glass and its been the worst part of the whole phone. I have a Steinheil screen protector on it now and the scratches don't show but it doesn't cover the whole screen so still a bit worried about it.

Case wise I picked up a sena pouch it's on the expensive side and thin but damn it's a nice leather case. Probably not much use if you drop your phone a lot but great for protecting it in a pocket.

I also have been using this phone for about a week or two now, and so far I'm loving it.
It's actually the first real smart phone I've used so I'm still getting used to it.

What are some of the launchers and apps you guys use that you would recommend? I've heard from friends about custom launchers and apps that can totally customize the way your GUI looks and cut down on the battery life but I don't know where to look for those kinds of things.
As of right now I'm using Go Launcher, putting the phone in battery saving mode and turning the screen brightness all the way down. Is there a way to make the loading a bit quicker and smoother because sometimes it lags a bit (but barely noticeable) or do I need to bite the bullet and just charge the phone every night?

Blackhead

Redarse
Is the wireless charger available yet?

I also have been using this phone for about a week or two now, and so far I'm loving it.
It's actually the first real smart phone I've used so I'm still getting used to it.

What are some of the launchers and apps you guys use that you would recommend? I've heard from friends about custom launchers and apps that can totally customize the way your GUI looks and cut down on the battery life but I don't know where to look for those kinds of things.
As of right now I'm using Go Launcher, putting the phone in battery saving mode and turning the screen brightness all the way down. Is there a way to make the loading a bit quicker and smoother because sometimes it lags a bit (but barely noticeable) or do I need to bite the bullet and just charge the phone every night?
You could get a larger/backup batteries or just not use the phone that often... There isn't any iPhone, Android phone or Windows phone that doesn't have to be recharged every night.

You could get a larger/backup batteries or just not use the phone that often... There isn't any iPhone, Android phone or Windows phone that doesn't have to be recharged every night.

I guess I could look for a larger battery... As of right now my phone can go 2-3 days on a single charge but I guess I'm just used to being able to go a week on a regular phone.

BFIB

Me and my wife both switched from ATT to Sprint and got the S3. While my phone is rocking out on battery life, and quick and responsive, my wife's phone runs sluggish, and the battery life is pretty terrible. She took it off the charger this morning, and its already down to 60%.

We're going to swap it out, she's having a hard time adjusting coming from the iPhone. Personally, I love it, and I love the amount of customization that I can finally have at my fingertips.

rc213

I guess I could look for a larger battery... As of right now my phone can go 2-3 days on a single charge but I guess I'm just used to being able to go a week on a regular phone.

Anker battery for the GSIII is only $10 runs about the same time as the original just missing NFC function. Been using Anker batteries purchased from Laptopmate on eBay for like 3 yrs never had a problem.

Yeah its not that risky at all. In fact, it seems more risky to me to not do it. Once you know how to back up/flash/push stuff to your phone, you can bring it back from the dead if anything ever goes wrong. Which probably won't happen because its pretty hard to actually brick these things if you follow directions and be careful.

As far as voiding warranty goes, all you have to do is make sure to reset your flash counter after the first flash with Odin, and then after that use mobile odin or cwm recovery to flash everything and you won't have any problems. if I needed to take my phone back to sprint for some reason all i'd have to do is flash a stock tar and boot image with mobile odin and delete all my root apps and they'd never be able to tell it was ever rooted

It really is easy and fun, and allows you to potentially fix stuff yourself or get updates earlier before they actually get pushed to your device

Swag

Do updates for the international version get pushed out to all countries simultaneously as long as the user is using an 19-300?

Sorry if this is nub questions.

I'm going on holidays to Japan in October. My international S3 should work there, right? Also, do they have prepaid sims there?

There's one thing I miss about my Galaxy S1. I usually don't use Auto Rotation because it gets annoying when browsing in bed or on the couch. However I liked to use Auto-Rotation for my videos. What was neat on the S1 was that when I turned Auto-Rotation off, it would still work on Youtube, because it understood that the need for using the horizontal screen was important.

When I turn Auto-Rotation off on my S3, it turns off Auto-Rotation for everything, including Youtube videos.

Top Bottom