• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

tigerin

It voids your warranty but makes it so you have more control and function out of your device.

can't you revert it back to factory setting like the iphone jailbreak?
Yeah its not that risky at all. In fact, it seems more risky to me to not do it. Once you know how to back up/flash/push stuff to your phone, you can bring it back from the dead if anything ever goes wrong. Which probably won't happen because its pretty hard to actually brick these things if you follow directions and be careful.

As far as voiding warranty goes, all you have to do is make sure to reset your flash counter after the first flash with Odin, and then after that use mobile odin or cwm recovery to flash everything and you won't have any problems. if I needed to take my phone back to sprint for some reason all i'd have to do is flash a stock tar and boot image with mobile odin and delete all my root apps and they'd never be able to tell it was ever rooted

It really is easy and fun, and allows you to potentially fix stuff yourself or get updates earlier before they actually get pushed to your device

okay, i did a bit of google and came upon a XDA forum. wow......there are so many tutorials for this thing. which one is easy to understand and recommended for a dumb person like me? lol
I have flashed about 20 devices. All working well to this day.

its very easy considering there are step by step instructions all around the Web.

can you use that siri-like feature once you flash it? maybe i should root instead of flash.

Tess3ract

Banned
All root is is replacing the kernel with one that allows you to use the su command. your android phone is just running linux, basically.

the android's "siri" feature is already on your SGS3, though samsung's one is shit and it's called S Voice.

the google one which is awesome is called Google Now and you kind of have to hack it back in if you don't have jelly bean.

You can revert it back in case you want to return it but it requires you to:

1. use triangle away to get your modified count to 0
2. reflash with a stock rom/kernel in order for it to be "like new"

tigerin

All root is is replacing the kernel with one that allows you to use the su command. your android phone is just running linux, basically.

the android's "siri" feature is already on your SGS3, though samsung's one is shit and it's called S Voice.

the google one which is awesome is called Google Now and you kind of have to hack it back in if you don't have jelly bean.

You can revert it back in case you want to return it but it requires you to:

1. use triangle away to get your modified count to 0
2. reflash with a stock rom/kernel in order for it to be "like new"

great! so the google now is still in, i thought I google had to take it out because of an apple patent, thus the galaxy nexus delayed when it lowered it priced to $349.

can't you revert it back to factory setting like the iphone jailbreak?

okay, i did a bit of google and came upon a XDA forum. wow......there are so many tutorials for this thing. which one is easy to understand and recommended for a dumb person like me? lol

can you use that siri-like feature once you flash it? maybe i should root instead of flash.

You have to root anyway/install custom recovery if you want to flash, after that you can run rooted stock and back it up and flash another rom and set that one up with all your stuff too, and then back that up and switch back and forth however you want

This is the guide I used mainly - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1743780

You can also get this toolkit - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1703488

Get the toolkit for your specific phone though. There are links at the top of that thread to the different variants. You can just use the toolkit and it'll walk you through the whole process. If you've never done it before just take it slow, look through a few different guides and watch some youtube videos until you feel comfortable enough to do it yourself

also once you're done with all that, get mobile odin so you don't have to use desktop odin again. makes flashing .tars a lot easier and doesn't trip your flash counter

mantidor

So I'm kind of interested in the phone now that my old one was stolen, but surfing through Amazon I got a little confused with the GT-i9300 model, what is the difference? and is it worth it to go for the 32Gb model that has no warranty? I don't know if Amazon is the best place to look for it though. Any help really appreciated thanks!

A.Romero

Do updates for the international version get pushed out to all countries simultaneously as long as the user is using an 19-300?

Only if you didn't get your device with contract. If you did you would need to wait for your specific carrier or flash it directly.

Sorry if this is nub questions.

I'm going on holidays to Japan in October. My international S3 should work there, right? Also, do they have prepaid sims there?

It should if your carrier has coverage. Otherwise it needs to be unlocked so you can connect to another provider.

Can't download through the browser nor the Play Store anymore. It was delisted a couple of days ago.

this should work - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336

Looks like Mac users can't download Odin.

There's a method for macs that uses a program called Heimdall...i don't think gs3 is officially supported by heimdall though...i don't really know anything about all that, there are tutorials out there though, i found one just now, but it appears to be for the international version

tigerin

You have to root anyway/install custom recovery if you want to flash, after that you can run rooted stock and back it up and flash another rom and set that one up with all your stuff too, and then back that up and switch back and forth however you want

This is the guide I used mainly - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1743780

You can also get this toolkit - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1703488

Get the toolkit for your specific phone though. There are links at the top of that thread to the different variants. You can just use the toolkit and it'll walk you through the whole process. If you've never done it before just take it slow, look through a few different guides and watch some youtube videos until you feel comfortable enough to do it yourself

also once you're done with all that, get mobile odin so you don't have to use desktop odin again. makes flashing .tars a lot easier and doesn't trip your flash counter
Looks like Mac users can't download Odin.

It should if your carrier has coverage. Otherwise it needs to be unlocked so you can connect to another provider.
Mine is unlocked, so as long as I can get a Japanese SIM it shouldn't have problems, I guess. I just remember that Japanese networks ran a different MHz band than the rest of the world and I can't remember the international S3 supports it.

Sagitario

Bookmarking this.
Is there any way to reset the flash counter?

Bookmarking this.
Is there any way to reset the flash counter?

TriangleAway v1.80

I keep a little utilities folder on the phone with this triangle away .apk and mobile odin .apk and the mobile odin flash kernel just in case I need to install them on a fresh rom later on

Also something to be aware of which I forgot to mention before...

This is just a warning folks. If you have activated Google Wallet and setup any credit cards or the PrePaid card, DO NOT DO A FACTORY RESET without first going into Google Wallet and performing the Reset Google Wallet function first. The Reset Google Wallet function has to be performed within the Google Wallet App, you can not delete data or delete cache and hope to be ok. Once you have Reset Google Wallet, you can reset your device and you will be able to access wallet when your done.

With phones that have the NFC chip, a Factory Reset is known to wipe out the key that was generated when you activated any card in Google Wallet. Once this key has been wiped out, you have in a sense bricked Google Wallet to the point that you can not use Google Wallet from that point on. Non-seucre functionality of NFC will still function but all secure functionality will be broken. Although some at Sprint/Google/HTC know of the issue and are working on a resolution, the problem isn't widely known and at the moment it appears only a device swap will correct the problem.

squared

Had my S3 for a week (well, 6 days..) and I rooted and flashed a ROM and kernel within the first 30 minutes after booting it for the first time, haha.

Anyway, I'm running Omega v.13 ROM, Siyahs latest kernel (1.5) and misc fixes and hacks (HX Camera mod, Brightness fix, DSP manager etc). Using Apex Launcher.

First off, with these mods the battery life is great, considering what power and features the phone is packing! And it's smooth, very fast and responsive, the camera is great (haven't shot in low-light conditions yet, but almost no phone camera is "great" in low light), browsing is also very smooth etc.. So needless to say, I'm very happy with it :)

A.Romero

Mine is unlocked, so as long as I can get a Japanese SIM it shouldn't have problems, I guess. I just remember that Japanese networks ran a different MHz band than the rest of the world and I can't remember the international S3 supports it.

Check phone arena's galaxy specs and you can see it's band support.

I'm fairly sure it works then.

Ok. Got this as my first smartphone over a week ago. It's great expect for one thing. The stock internet browser keeps and freezing and shit and my phone turns black. Has anybody else experienced this issue?

And like I'll enter something into google, hit the search button and nothing happens. What gives?

Ok. Got this as my first smartphone over a week ago. It's great expect for one thing. The stock internet browser keeps and freezing and shit and my phone turns black. Has anybody else experienced this issue?

And like I'll enter something into google, hit the search button and nothing happens. What gives?

Use chrome

plasmasd

Had my S3 for a week (well, 6 days..) and I rooted and flashed a ROM and kernel within the first 30 minutes after booting it for the first time, haha.

Anyway, I'm running Omega v.13 ROM, Siyahs latest kernel (1.5) and misc fixes and hacks (HX Camera mod, Brightness fix, DSP manager etc). Using Apex Launcher.

First off, with these mods the battery life is great, considering what power and features the phone is packing! And it's smooth, very fast and responsive, the camera is great (haven't shot in low-light conditions yet, but almost no phone camera is "great" in low light), browsing is also very smooth etc.. So needless to say, I'm very happy with it :)

Lucky you.... must not have Samsung camera. All camera mods lock up my phone :-(

BiggNife

Great. Downloaded chrome and now I can't watch the videos that the stock browser allowed me to watch. Says i'm missing a plug in.

Chrome doesn't support Flash because Adobe is planning to phase out mobile flash anyway.

Hasn't become a problem for me because the only video I watch on my phone sometimes is Youtube or TwitchTV and they both have dedicated Android apps. Can't remember if the Youtube app is pre-installed on the device or not but if it isn't you should download it ASAP.

edit: If you really want an alternative to the stock browser that still supports Flash, you could try Opera Mobile.

rc213

My girlfriend dropped my phone and cracked the top of the glass above the screen. I assume this isn't covered under warranty?

If you're paying monthly insurance it should be, You will likely need to pay a deductible around $150.

Try ICS+ Browser.

Great. Downloaded chrome and now I can't watch the videos that the stock browser allowed me to watch. Says i'm missing a plug in.

I really wish Chrome had the Quick Controls, Makes it easier to get to bookmarks, new tab, etc...

Phoenix

If you're paying monthly insurance it should be, You will likely need to pay a deductible around $150.

Whoa seriously? $150 is about what it would cost to get the parts and have someone perform the service. So you're paying monthly insurance for what?

buhdeh

Sigh, just flashed AOKP to play around with and I wish I waited for a Nexus phone now. TouchWiz destroys everything good about Android and makes it look like trash.

If only AOKP/CM were stable (for CAN/US S3's), I'd make the jump. My LTE doesn't work with AOKP :( and all the issues with losing IMEI makes me scared to flash again.

HI guys. Picked up my galaxy yesterday, loving it so far.

Quick question though, was trying to watch a video on Facebook and it would play the audio only not the video itself.

Any ideas?

A.Romero

Sigh, just flashed AOKP to play around with and I wish I waited for a Nexus phone now. TouchWiz destroys everything good about Android and makes it look like trash.

If only AOKP/CM were stable (for CAN/US S3's), I'd make the jump. My LTE doesn't work with AOKP :( and all the issues with losing IMEI makes me scared to flash again.

It is mostly stable. I use cm10 for my daily driver and it does the job. It just a matter of time for everything to be completely sorted.

Don't despair!

rc213

damn, you might as well not pay for insurance and use that money to pay someone to replace it.

Depends if the LCD is damaged along with the Digitizer. Also I haven't checked if they are fused together making repair a pain in the ass.

Digitizer alone $10-30

Digitizer + LCD $250

mantidor

Which model do you have? The international GT-i9300 or a branded/special US-model?

May I ask what is the difference? checking amazon you get the international version and the "regular" version I guess, but it says its unlocked anyway. I ask because I plan on buying one but I don't know which one to get (I live in Brazil not in the US so I wouldn't know).

rc213

May I ask what is the difference? checking amazon you get the international version and the "regular" version I guess, but it says its unlocked anyway. I ask because I plan on buying one but I don't know which one to get (I live in Brazil not in the US so I wouldn't know).

International includes Exynos Quad Core 1.4Ghz/1GB Ram Vs US include Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Dual-Core 1.5Ghz/2GB Ram. Radio Bands supported are also different. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III#Model_variants

Does anyone know of a good back plate replacement that isn't as slippery as the normal one? I feel like it can just slip from my hands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pebble-Blue...Accessories&hash=item3cc929e7fe#ht_820wt_1163

upandaway

Does anyone know of a good back plate replacement that isn't as slippery as the normal one? I feel like it can just slip from my hands.

Sallokin

Setting/security/lock screen options

THANK YOU! this was driving me crazy. I just got mine today. it's the first smartphone I've owned that wasn't an iphone. I'm having a really hard time adjusting so far. It took me like an hour to figure out how to get SMS messages to vibrate :/

Top Bottom