• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Been trying to sync everything from my Old iPhone backup via Kies but all Kies picks up from the backup is only my Music, while my Contacts, Messages, Photos, and etc have not been found by Kies. Has anyone run into this problem on his or her Mac?

Thanks!

It appears that a leaked unsecure bootloader for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (Galaxy S III) has lead to a hack that allows the bootloader on the retail version to be replaced. In a nutshell, this means that developers can now build custom kernels and flash them via Odin, and nobody will need (or want) to buy the developer model when it comes out.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-3-bootloader-no-longer-issue

Developer Edition? lol

where you at? where you at?

demented

I have a question regarding delivery report for text messages.
I enabled it in settings and I get notification+sound whenever my text gets delivered but I was wondering if it was possible(or if there is, gonna test now) to just have something next to bubble with text or when clicked because personally notification and sound alert are annoying every time.

HildyB

Btw, got the Incipio Silicrylic Hard Shell Case. $20. Not the prettiest, but it fits nicely in the hand and will definitely protect the phone during drops.

Thinking I might try a wallet/sleeve type case instead, though.

I picked up the white version of this (white sgs3) and I like it. I was going for a hard shell, but dropped it like 3 times in the store so I took it as a sign.. love it so far, not much bulk added and can take a fall.

Darkkn

The biggest problem with this phone is the bloated stock ROM. Freshly booted OS takes like ~550MB of the available 780MB RAM where as CM9 on my takes less than 250MB on my OG galaxy s, leaving almost as much RAM for apps as GS3, even tho it has half the available RAM.
This is a problem because apps like Flipboard can exhaust all the available memory and push the launcher out so when you go back to the homescreen, you get a blank wallpaper while the launcher reloads to the memory :(

Can't wait till CM10 gets to RC stage on the international GS3.

I have this.

Taking pictures can be a pain in the ass.

I figured. With this phone being as fragile as it is, I'm a bit paranoid about using it, so I needed something asap, and it came down to the Valentinus or the Argos. I could see that both had their functionality downsides, but the V won out with the card holders. Still feel like a fool, because COOLIO found nearly the same thing for a fraction of the cost. Lesson learned.

Swag

The biggest problem with this phone is the bloated stock ROM. Freshly booted OS takes like ~550MB of the available 780MB RAM where as CM9 on my takes less than 250MB on my OG galaxy s, leaving almost as much RAM for apps as GS3, even tho it has half the available RAM.
This is a problem because apps like Flipboard can exhaust all the available memory and push the launcher out so when you go back to the homescreen, you get a blank wallpaper while the launcher reloads to the memory :(

This is truly my only complaint I can think of when it comes to this phone, so annoying and my number one motivation to put on a custom ROM

Phoenix

Agreed. My Galaxy Nexus normally runs circles around the domestic GS3s that I have. Only the International TMobile one seemed to be marginally faster than JB.

kitch9

Banned
People need to read how Ram Caches work to understand why a device having its ram mostly full at all times is a good thing.

Kyoufu

People need to read how Ram Caches work to understand why a device having its ram mostly full at all times is a good thing.

Yup. I was first baffled why a massive chunk of my RAM was used at all times then I read about it and yeah, it is great.

anyone using this one on virgin mobile (USA)?
my verizon contract is up and im looking to switch carriers.
and im assuming paying retail is the only way to go if i want to bring it over to virgin?

Cyrillus

anyone using this one on virgin mobile (USA)?
my verizon contract is up and im looking to switch carriers.
and im assuming paying retail is the only way to go if i want to bring it over to virgin?
Unless there's been some change since I signed up for Virgin Mobile (I honestly haven't checked since I got the service last spring), you can't activate non-Virgin Mobile phones on their service. Someone feel free to correct me, it'd be awesome if I found out I was wrong!

rozay

Banned
You need to read his post again, the OS itself takes up 550/780MB ram at boot on the international GS3. I think putting 2GB in the american versions was a smart move by Samsung.

Unless there's been some change since I signed up for Virgin Mobile (I honestly haven't checked since I got the service last spring), you can't activate non-Virgin Mobile phones on their service. Someone feel free to correct me, it'd be awesome if I found out I was wrong!
Really ? Even If it's unlocked?

zedge

I caved...picked up a mint month old blue s3 for $475. Couldn't resist. It's a rogers version so I need to unlock for bell. This thing is pure sex.

Husker86

ah sweet. thanks for the info.
btw, which major carriers are they piggybacking off?

If you go their unlocked route, either AT&T or T-Mobile. I believe you get to choose (I'm sort of looking into this for the next Nexus). They piggyback everyone I think, but when you choose to get just a SIM card from them it's obviously narrowed down to GSM and from there you pick one of the two.

http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopSims

If you check it out there you can choose one of the 2, but if you pick unlocked it looks like it's using AT&T's bands. Who knows, maybe it can piggyback off of both if you pick unlocked.

tborsje

Don't you have wifi??

And no, mSD cards are for storing my images/roms/backups of my OS.

Yeah I have wifi, which is why I don't need dropbox! I just send all the music, movies, documents etc that I need to the phone over wifi - I have 32GB internal storage + a 32GB mSD card so I have plenty of room on the phone. Why complicate that by uploading it to a website first? I don't understand what most people use dropbox for - why not just put your important directly on your device? The only benefit I could think of would be if you owned a whole heap of different devices and wanted a common pool of files - but even then I'd probably just connect them all to a samba shared directory on my home PC.

surly

Banned
Yeah I have wifi, which is why I don't need dropbox! I just send all the music, movies, documents etc that I need to the phone over wifi - I have 32GB internal storage + a 32GB mSD card so I have plenty of room on the phone. Why complicate that by uploading it to a website first? I don't understand what most people use dropbox for - why not just put your important directly on your device? The only benefit I could think of would be if you owned a whole heap of different devices and wanted a common pool of files - but even then I'd probably just connect them all to a samba shared directory on my home PC.
I like the photo uploading feature of Dropbox. If I take photos on my phone, when it connects to my home network they are uploaded to Dropbox, so they then pretty much immediately appear in the Dropbox folder on my PC. It's a nice way of getting photos from the phone to the PC without having to actually do anything manually.

Zizbuka

Banned
Probably should've consulted GAF first, but I went ahead and ordered this:

http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/sa...r-wallet-case-valentinus-vintage-edition.html

galaxy_s3_valentinus_0001__.jpg

galaxy_s3_valentinus_0001s_0002_vintage_brown3.jpg

I'm always afraid of snaps on the screen side. So, I know I'm late but does the S3 not have the Android soft buttons? I think I would really miss the back, menu buttons.

surly

Banned
So, I know I'm late but does the S3 not have the Android soft buttons? I think I would really miss the back, menu buttons.
It does have them. They're to the left and right of the physical home button. They light up for a second or so when you unlock the phone, or any time you touch the screen.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Got my phone on Tuesday
after two bullshit delivery misses
, and I'm loving it. Don't really have anyone to call or talk to, but the features on it are so good. Can't believe I even thought for a second about getting the S II over this. There are a few issues I have with it.

- Hard to hit keyboard keys. An inevitability with such small, non-tactile inputs.
- Typing recognition is weird. My words keep getting turned into stuff I'm not intending thanks to that text anticipation thing. I guess I just have to learn how it works more.
- Super easy to hit the back button. Always end up touching it somehow, usually due to:
- Hard to hold. How the hell am I supposed to get a good one-handed grip on it?

None of those detract too much from the awesomeness, they're just minor annoyances that I run into every now and then. I'm watching Arrested Development on Netflix right now, and it's much easier than it was on the Vita. I also love how the internet works; best I've seen on a mobile device.

technically, there is a way. it just requires ESN cloning (legal grey area) some other modifications to get SMS/MMS working and PRL flashing.

I really hope they keep in Google Now and the new pull down notifications.

When I used CM10, Project butter hardly made a difference, if any.

Husker86

I loved it most for when I was in school. Being able to take notes on Word/Powerpoint docs on my laptop and having them synced instantly to my desktop and my tablet/phone was very convenient. No hassle on my part and the documents are always updated no matter where or what I'm using.

I still like it for the same reasons now that I'm out of school, but I made use it it much more when I was in school.

Tess3ract

Banned

I do, I have a pc, an android, a laptop, etc.

It makes it really easy to add dropbox to all these devices and be anywhere and be able to pull my files I need for whatever (like school or work files or whatever I want)

Top Bottom