• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Loxley

So I've been pretty impressed the photo capabilities of the S3, took this yesterday while out grocery shopping with my girlfriend:

20120813195729.jpg

Davidion

Its a preview though. It still has some issues like the memory leak...

The variants version is out and for a pre-alpha version, runs really well.

The interface actually feels different and smoother than all other android or even ios efforts; I'm rather impressed.

A.Romero

The variants version is out and for a pre-alpha version, runs really well.

The interface actually feels different and smoother than all other android or even ios efforts; I'm rather impressed.

I'm running SuperNexus wich is a port of Jelly Bean. It runs well but it does have a few bugs. I would say the main one is the memory leak which causes random app errors and the need to reboot the phone often (depending of how much you use the phone).

People on CM10 are reporting call issues and project butter hasn't been successfully implemented as of now. They need to wait until Samsung releases the source code for I9300's JB.

So it works. Mostly. Far from stable though.

I would say that if you don't get easily frustrated you can switch to JB now. Otherwise stick to CM9 (stable release available now) or wait for Samsung to release their JB Rom (rumored to be released on August 29th).

Great phone, btw. It runs everything smoothly even samsung's stock rom.

Loxley said:
Looks slick as hell, but does it cover the back of the phone? I can't tell from those shots, it looks like it could be clear in the back.

And yeah...the price -_-

It is a bumber so no, it does not cover the back.

Niks

Apparently the BLACK Galaxy S3 will be released in 4 to 6 weeks time.
Coincidence? I think not.

In other rumors, looks like the S3 will be getting the JellyBean update on Aug 29.

rozay

Banned
Apparently the BLACK Galaxy S3 will be released in 4 to 6 weeks time.
Coincidence? I think not.

In other rumors, looks like the S3 will be getting the JellyBean update on Aug 29.
you should clarify that August 29 is only named for the international, un branded GS3. I'm interested to see if the update comes to American variants quickly since Samsung had the ability to release all of them with the same branding.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I finally broke down and rooted my Tmobile S3. I put the latest CM10 nightly on it to try, and so far it runs just fine by me. Google Now is interesting enough and runs fairly nice. I am just glad to be away from TouchWiz.

I used a method that didn't up the flash counter so I don't have to mess with TriangleAway or anything. I was nervous about losing my IMEI, but I backed it up using the NV tool and ended up maintaining it anyway.

I always get super nervous when I root for the first time (especially since I actually managed to hard brick my Vibrant when I flashed an International bootloader accidentally when I was still figuring things out), but I seem to have avoided fucking anything up yet.

Slavik81

What's the recommended carrier for picking up an S3 in Canada? I'm thinking either Wind or Bell. Also, is the physical phone different and how might that affect me in the future?

Wind Pros:
- ~$10/month cheaper
- 5GB 'fast' data, unlimited slow data (vs Bell's 500MB+$10/GB)
- Free caller id (vs. Bell's $8/mo caller id/voicemail combo)

Bell Pros:
- Fast LTE network (vs Wind's relatively slow HSPA+)
- No fear of data roaming within Canada (Wind Away data charges are insane. $1/MB outside the city.)
- Cost of caller id more or less evens out if you want voicemail (Wind charges $8 for voicemail vs. Bell's $7 for both).

I can't find anybody else even worth considering, and nobody has remotely comparable plans. It took me an hour even just to figure out the above. Scott Adams has always had it right about telecoms:

dilbert-pricing.jpg

So I got the phone yesterday. Going from an iPhone 4.

So far I like it a lot.

I've been trying to set up visual voicemail through google voice and I can't get anywhere. I've followed every direction I find online and still nothing. I call my number from another line and the VM never picks it up.

Any help? I'm on Verizon.

HildyB

So I got the phone yesterday. Going from an iPhone 4.

So far I like it a lot.

I've been trying to set up visual voicemail through google voice and I can't get anywhere. I've followed every direction I find online and still nothing. I call my number from another line and the VM never picks it up.

Any help? I'm on Verizon.

I know with AT&T folks had to call their support to 'allow' the phone to be forwarded. Might be similar with VZ.

Google-jitsu: Try one of these methods yet? https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/777688

Davidion

I'm running SuperNexus wich is a port of Jelly Bean. It runs well but it does have a few bugs. I would say the main one is the memory leak which causes random app errors and the need to reboot the phone often (depending of how much you use the phone).

People on CM10 are reporting call issues and project butter hasn't been successfully implemented as of now. They need to wait until Samsung releases the source code for I9300's JB.

So it works. Mostly. Far from stable though.

I would say that if you don't get easily frustrated you can switch to JB now. Otherwise stick to CM9 (stable release available now) or wait for Samsung to release their JB Rom (rumored to be released on August 29th).

Great phone, btw. It runs everything smoothly even samsung's stock rom.

I'm on CM10 and the interface is NOTABLY smoother than anything else I've used. I think butter is already implemented but I could be wrong; either way, if that's true that means the interface will get even better? I'll bite.

Fortunately I've not had any of the other issue people talked about other than an occasional screen flicker and home button sometimes requiring two presses to wake phone.

All in all, it's a pretty good experience, though you should know what you're doing if you want to try it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I had tried those.

There is improvement. I can get to the GV voicemail now. However there is no notification on my phone saying someone has left a VM.

For that you need to install the Google Voice app. Or if you dont want to do that, I think you can set it to text or email you every time you get a voicemail.

Socreges

Banned
Just got my 50GB Dropbox bonus and now I'm not sure why I need the 32GB SD card currently being shipped to my house.

If I run music on my GS3 from my Dropbox 'Music' folder, it'll be just as if the files are on the phone, yes?

[edit]

Btw, got the Incipio Silicrylic Hard Shell Case. $20. Not the prettiest, but it fits nicely in the hand and will definitely protect the phone during drops.

21s0pptDvEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thinking I might try a wallet/sleeve type case instead, though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Those wallet cases seem like they would get super annoying. Or anything that covers the screen when closed or the camera when fully open.

surly

Banned
It's rumoured that the Jelly Bean update will be rolled out starting on August 29th, so 2 weeks today.

Here's a video of someone running a build of it on their S3, although the video is not in English so I have no idea what this guy is saying: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33DoSZuS1ao

EDIT - Beaten. D'oh! I should read the thread more carefully before posting. :D

Phoenix

Samsung is actually on target to beat out Apple in a lot of ways this year. Samsung is consuming the Android market and with that selling 3:1 on the iOS platform. They are winning "hip share" so when people go into retail they know the brand and the sales people are helping them cross the finish line. Samsung is closing the gap QUICKLY on Apple...

This is going to be interesting for the next 12 months. If Samsung grows their retail channel... that's going to be VERY interesting.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't mind being smacked on the nose with the newspaper, but atleast rub my face in the mess first just to be sure.

That is my bad. I didn't realize you were quoting yourself. I thought you were being stupid when somebody asked a decent question.

That being said, an armband that held your S3 with an otterbox case has the potential to look hilarious when you run. I think the S3 is already comically big to be wearing on your arm. Though I don't know if anything is a better option for running with this thing.

Revoh

S3-GAF, my father bought this phone today, he encountered his first problem trying to sync his contacts saved on his ex phone, a Nokia 97 Mini.
I exported his contacts using Nokia PC Suite to a .csv file, then imported it into his Gmail Contacts.
Easy, right? That's what I thought.
The problem is the .csv file that Nokia PC Suite gives you is badly formatted.
After checking the S3 all his contacts names appears as "unknown".

My guess is that I have to parse the .csv file to a proper format that Gmail can understand, which program can I use to do that is all I'm asking.
If it helps I can upload the .csv file.

Thanks!

A.Romero

S3-GAF, my father bought this phone today, he encountered his first problem trying to sync his contacts saved on his ex phone, a Nokia 97 Mini.
I exported his contacts using Nokia PC Suite to a .csv file, then imported it into his Gmail Contacts.
Easy, right? That's what I thought.
The problem is the .csv file that Nokia PC Suite gives you is badly formatted.
After checking the S3 all his contacts names appears as "unknown".

My guess is that I have to parse the .csv file to a proper format that Gmail can understand, which program can I use to do that is all I'm asking.
If it helps I can upload the .csv file.

Thanks!

I would advice you to export from gmail, see what columns the csv file has and copy it to the file that nokia throws.

Top Bottom