• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

HildyB

Just a generic rubber case I got at a mall kiosk for $13 - basically it's a placeholder case so I at least have something protecting the phone until I can get something better.

I'm going to try it again the next time I pass by the ad and see what happens.

Could just be the ad as well. If it is outside and uncovered, I don't know how durable those NFC tags are to the elements. You could always just take the case off for a sec to experiment if it is the case or not :)

Cr0wn0

Does it fit under most cases? I have the military armor one, but it doesn't sit so well under my case and the edges all turn up and it sucks.

I have a extended battery tpu case and it works just fine with it. Not really sure on other cases. I have to use a extended battery to get through the day so I probably won't be buying any cases for a while.

TimeKillr

The one problem I have with my phone now is with SMS notifications and such.

If the sound is on, sometimes the SMS notification ringtone only plays like half of its tone, or not at all.

If it's off, or if I have headphones on, sometimes it'll play through my headphones, sometimes it won't, sometimes if I'm listening to music it'll kill the playing music, sometimes it won't...

But it seems that it's a fucking TouchWiz problem, because when I had CM9 for a little while (had to get rid of it because I couldn't connect to LTE here in Canada) it really didn't have any problems whatsoever...

Sallokin

I'm really hoping someone could help me out with this. 100 percent of the time whenever I use my front facing camera the phone freezes and restarts. I'm not exaggerating either, it is literally happening every. single. time. I use the front facing camera.

HildyB

I'm really hoping someone could help me out with this. 100 percent of the time whenever I use my front facing camera the phone freezes and restarts. I'm not exaggerating either, it is literally happening every. single. time. I use the front facing camera.

Are you rooted and running a custom ROM? Is this using the stock camera app or another application like Instagram?

Sallokin

Are you rooted and running a custom ROM? Is this using the stock camera app or another application like Instagram?

Not rooted, and no roms. It's happening with the stock camera app. I haven't tried it yet with any other apps.

EDIT: just tried it with instagram and Skype and they seem to work ok but there is some noticeable slowdown in instagram when I take the photo. Also this crash happens all the time regardless of how many apps are running.

HildyB

Not rooted, and no roms. It's happening with the stock camera app. I haven't tried it yet with any other apps.

EDIT: just tried it with instagram and Skype and they seem to work ok but there is some noticeable slowdown in instagram when I take the photo. Also this crash happens all the time regardless of how many apps are running.

Very odd. I'll tool around with my phone tonight and see if I can think of anything that would cause that. I'm sure you've rebooted and cleared the RAM and all that usual stuff (battery settings).

Trying to avoid the impending factory reset if possible.. although if you reset and have the issue you can probably get it replaced.

AndyD

aka andydumi

It could be a hardware issue. My old phone did that for a while with the back camera before the camera went out altogether for all apps. Not even a factory reset fixed anything. Being out of warranty, I went without a camera for a while before I moved to the S3.

Sallokin

Very odd. I'll tool around with my phone tonight and see if I can think of anything that would cause that. I'm sure you've rebooted and cleared the RAM and all that usual stuff (battery settings).

Trying to avoid the impending factory reset if possible.. although if you reset and have the issue you can probably get it replaced.

Yeah I've tried all of the recommended stuff. thanks for info/help.

I am thinking about getting my first smartphone. I was looking at T-Mobile and getting a Galaxy S3. Right now I am month to month on verizon with a basic phone. I was actually tempted by Sprint because they have the cheapest price on the Galaxy S3 that I have seen, but they don't have 4G here and T-Mobile does and that is winning out, especially since T-Mobile is unlimited again.

Anyone know any ways to get a better deal on a Phone from T-Mobile? Do they do anything like price match what Sprint offers or anything like that?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
the patch to switch apps from installing on the internal memory to the sd card is out for the US carrier versions :D

SpecX

Check Settings > Accessibility > Services > TalkBack to see if it's on. If it is, turn it off. I think that's the one that will speak out stuff.

Thanks!. I checked and it is turned off, but in the settings it has "Speak Caller ID" checked. I unchecked it and will see if this resolves the issue.

Sallokin

Ended up just going to the Verizon store and getting a new S3. The camera just kept crapping out. On the plus side, my new phone's camera works great AND the proximity sensor works too so I can stop hanging up on everyone with my cheek.

mike23

My internet connection has been canceled since Thursday since my roommate moved it to his new place (our lease ends at the end of the month). I'm up to ~12gb on my unlimited 4G. I'm started to feel bad.

Linkhero1

I've dropped my phone several times within the past few weeks so I'm looking into buying a case for it. It's so hard to choose one. I think this may be the hardest decision I've had to make in a while. Throw some recommendations at me.

Sagitario

I was looking at those but the design isn't really clicking with me. Don't like the two-tone colors.

The Otterbox commuter case causes this:
61FDrmy4ZkL.jpg

61K%2Bk-lKwWL.jpg

61UuzEF8TUL.jpg

Question for all: I've taken a few videos with my Android but some of them need to be rotated.

I need some kind of software that will rotate my videos and save it like that. Anyone know one?

Ended up just going to the Verizon store and getting a new S3. The camera just kept crapping out. On the plus side, my new phone's camera works great AND the proximity sensor works too so I can stop hanging up on everyone with my cheek.
I was going to tell you to go to the nearest Sam's club or wireflyfriends.com. 189 on new contract.199 from walmart. I got mine for 150 from tmobile retentions. And radioshack has a smartphone sale coming too.

Toki767

Looks like Europe is getting the GSIII in 4 new colors. Garnet Red (same as AT&T), Amber Brown, Sapphire Black, and Titanium Grey.
samsung-gs3-colors.jpg

I'd go with grey if I didn't already have blue.

Man I really want a s3 but man the build quality is wack compared to a lot of other phones (aka HTC one x/HTC evo 4g lte). How does the penitle super amoled on the s3 compare to the S-LCD 2 on the one x/evo late?

Phoenix

Apple is looking forward to sue galaxy s3 too. What will samsung do then.

They won't get a suit for trade dress. No one will mistake an S3 for an Apple product in any way. They will get them for some OS patents and Samsung really needs to look at navigating those patents are just replacing those features until they do. Doesn't help that Google told them to do this YEARS ago and they ignored that very valid advice.

Erv

Looks like Europe is getting the GSIII in 4 new colors. Garnet Red (same as AT&T), Amber Brown, Sapphire Black, and Titanium Grey.
samsung-gs3-colors.jpg

I'd go with grey if I didn't already have blue.

Wow that grey is nice . I wonder what the chance is of that coming to the US. That red looks even better than the one we got but I'm sure it's just the picture.

I'm looking for a screenshot app that links up with an image host if such a thing exists. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if an app that does specifically that exists. I'm using quickpic as my media browser (images) and when I open an image, I can share that image through my installed apps. I think you'd manage by installing an app that hosts images, and distributing an image from your gallery through that app.

mantidor

Phone get!

So what are the must own apps? I always end up filling my phones with useless but pretty wallpapers, I would want to move past that...

Cipherr

Phone get!

So what are the must own apps? I always end up filling my phones with useless but pretty wallpapers, I would want to move past that...

A news app (Flipboard), a Flashlight and Goggles are the ones I always load first for some reason lol. QR and product barcode scanning, having a flashlight and news are just neat. Also a music ID app.

Top Bottom