• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Swag

Thanks. However it doesn't actually recognise that i have my galaxy connected?
I think you have to set the USB mode to camera instead of MTP (may be the wrong name), it won't recognize it under the media device setting.

You can find the option in the notification bar.

Anyone know the largest file size the file system of the phone itself can handle? It seems SD cards are stuck at the Fat32 limit. Unless some one knows a way around that.

LogicStep

So I have been using the phone for a little over 1.5 hours and I'm checking the battery and it's telling me it will be empty in 3 hours. Is that good? Seems like terrible battery life to me. I come from an iPhone 4.

Anyone know the largest file size the file system of the phone itself can handle? It seems SD cards are stuck at the Fat32 limit. Unless some one knows a way around that.

If you format your sd card to exFAT it could handle file sizes as large as the largest available disk out now.

So I have been using the phone for a little over 1.5 hours and I'm checking the battery and it's telling me it will be empty in 3 hours. Is that good? Seems like terrible battery life to me. I come from an iPhone 4.

Using your phone how? Streaming youtube/netflix videos all the time? That sounds about right. I'm getting better battery life on the S3 than my 4s ever did.

LogicStep

If you format your sd card to exFAT it could handle file sizes as large as the largest available disk out now.

Using your phone how? Streaming youtube/netflix videos all the time? That sounds about right. I'm getting better battery life on the S3 than my 4s ever did.
Just using the internet and maybe a video or two, looking at some pictures online.

I'm going to run it to 0% to see how long it lasts. It's weird that it drains a lot while locked.

LogicStep

AHlFT.png

That normal?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What is Screen On time? Going by the awake time bars on the screen shot I would say that you are not getting normal battery life.

Yeah, that is not normal.

Maybe if you are streaming Pandora over 4g it is really destroying your battery, but even still.

Cr0wn0

Anyone else having issues with notification sounds? Sometimes it will only play a portion of the notification and other times it won't play anything at all.

EGM92

I figured 4g is probably the culprit but the speed!! So I should turn off 4g? Anything else I can do to conserve battery?

There's a lot of things you can do to conserve battery, if you don't need to the speed try to limit your data settings to HSPA+ instead of LTE, I'm not sure how that's done on AT&T variants, but there should be something in the network settings. Also turn off NFC if you don't use it. Install CPU Spy and see if your phone goes into Deep Sleep mode when it's just idling by. If it's not going into that mode you have a rogue app thats keeping it awake thus killing battery.

If you've rooted/flashed your phone there'd be a lot more you can do but that may screw with your warranty.

I figured 4g is probably the culprit but the speed!! So I should turn off 4g? Anything else I can do to conserve battery?

LTE hasn't been a problem. In fact there's lots of times I'll leave wifi off, even at home because the speed is so awesome and it has not been a problem save a couple of times.

LogicStep

There's a lot of things you can do to conserve battery, if you don't need to the speed try to limit your data settings to HSPA+ instead of LTE, I'm not sure how that's done on AT&T variants, but there should be something in the network settings. Also turn off NFC if you don't use it. Install CPU Spy and see if your phone goes into Deep Sleep mode when it's just idling by. If it's not going into that mode you have a rogue app thats keeping it awake thus killing battery.

If you've rooted/flashed your phone there'd be a lot more you can do but that may screw with your warranty.
I installed cpu spy but I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I want the deep sleep timer to go up a lot?

I will root and do whatever once I know what's the best and easy to follow guide.

AndyD

aka andydumi
2hrs of screen time is good for a stock Galaxy S3, though using 4G and Pandora isn't going to help at all.

I dont think that 2hrs figure is accurate at all. I just checked mine and its at 75% battery with 1.5 hours of screen usage so far. No heavy streaming, mostly email and reddit reading and all on 4G with no wifi.

Cipherr

you're comparing different hardware and software from 2 different phones... well ok then...

What? It seemed to me that he disagreed that 2 hours of screentime on a S3 is 'good' from his personal experience with a Galaxy Nexus AND and S3. I think you read his post wrong. And I agree with him. 2 hours of screen time on a full charge is absolutely not ok.

LogicStep

I turned off 4g but I think the way I did it turns off everything and leaves me with edge or some shitty speeds. I gotta find a way to only turn off lte.

surly

Banned
I wonder if any Mac users can help me.....

A friend of mine just bought an S3 and he has a Mac. He was 2 issues: -

1. He's trying to get his text messages from his old iPhone over to the S3. What's the best way to do this?

2. He can't get the phone to connect to the Mac via USB. He installed Android File Transfer and it initially worked, but then the phone prompted him to update and after that completed, now the phone is no longer recognised.

Thanks!

1. He's trying to get his text messages from his old iPhone over to the S3. What's the best way to do this?

2. He can't get the phone to connect to the Mac via USB. He installed Android File Transfer and it initially worked, but then the phone prompted him to update and after that completed, now the phone is no longer recognised.

Thanks!

I don't think you can do this. Perhaps there may be a jailbreak solution to this though.

zedge

Anyone else having issues with notification sounds? Sometimes it will only play a portion of the notification and other times it won't play anything at all.

Turn off delete messages in your sms settings. It defaults to 200. So if your thread is at that limit it has to delete the oldest message as the notification sounds, this causes the partial sound you get. Found this on xda, had same issue.

:D

Husker86

you're comparing different hardware and software from 2 different phones... well ok then...
Yes, I am comparing different hardware, both of which I've used. The SIII has better battery life than the GNex and 2 hours of screen time is less than the GNex gets.

Thanks!

http://www.simonblog.com/2010/11/08/how-to-backup-and-export-iphone-sms-as-csv-to-your-computer/

get the sms.db then put on phone and

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.faked.isms2droid

convert to xml then

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

restore the SMS messages

The GNex standby is atrocious. I would lose about 25% at least during a regular work day on that alone. The GS3 maybe 10%. I would go home probably with around 50-60% battery on moderate use with my GS3 and about 20-30% with the Gnex. The Gnex was laos running 3G while I'm running HSPA+ on my GS3. It's stupid how much more battery life I'm getting.

zedge

Damn thank you so much! I was about to do a full reset! I must of just been using the wrong search keywords or something! Thanks again!

YW! :)

Seen a few with this issue, not sure why Samsung would put such a low limit on the threads.

Here is the link for anyone else thats interested.

FIXES PARTIAL SMS SOUND BE PROACTIVE AND CHANGE NOW!!! :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29544908

Can this be added to the OP? Seems like a pretty common thing that most people will start to encounter.

inm8num2

I dont think that 2hrs figure is accurate at all. I just checked mine and its at 75% battery with 1.5 hours of screen usage so far. No heavy streaming, mostly email and reddit reading and all on 4G with no wifi.

Dude that's insanely good battery life. I'm not getting anywhere near that.

I use auto brightness and my battery life probably decreases 1% for every 2 min the screen is in use.

LogicStep

So I got Jelly Bean running on my S3, anyone else done the same? Can I just download and do everything I was doing before? Like apps and customization stuff?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I got Jelly Bean running on my S3, anyone else done the same? Can I just download and do everything I was doing before? Like apps and customization stuff?

I am running AOKP JB, and yeah, you can do everything you were doing before.

Didn't see anything in the OP on case recommendations. Anyone have a case they would highly recommend? I've looked on Amazon and while the Otter cases look pretty sweet, there is some negative feedback on them related to how hard you have to push to get buttons to work with the case on.

Top Bottom