• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Cipherr

The Dark One

28gv6omjpg.gif

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If I use a launcher like Nova, will all my settings stay the same, like app placements, widgets, backgrounds etc? How about when I revert back to Touchwiz?

No, they are independent of each other.

Edit: Call echo has been fixed in CM10/AOKP so I can actually use AOKP as a daily driver. I really like it.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I started using the Google Music app last night, after trying to work around the clunkiness of the stock Music Player. The music controls on the lock screen is a nice touch, and the songs are managed much better. The only thing I still haven't figured out is how to add my music. Before I was going to upload all of the songs I want onto my dropbox folder from my friend's computer, since he has a ton of songs I want. But I don't want to have to download each song individually to my phone. Would it be better to just try moving them all directly to my phone over time?

Darkkn

I started using the Google Music app last night, after trying to work around the clunkiness of the stock Music Player. The music controls on the lock screen is a nice touch, and the songs are managed much better. The only thing I still haven't figured out is how to add my music. Before I was going to upload all of the songs I want onto my dropbox folder from my friend's computer, since he has a ton of songs I want. But I don't want to have to download each song individually to my phone. Would it be better to just try moving them all directly to my phone over time?

I use AirDroid(Something like this should be OS feature imo.) for file transfer between computer and phone. It's great. Phone and computer needs to be on a same network for it to work tho. It's basically a wireless way to manage files on your phone.

Argyle

I use AirDroid(Something like this should be OS feature imo.) for file transfer between computer and phone. It's great. Phone and computer needs to be on a same network for it to work tho. It's basically a wireless way to manage files on your phone.

Doesn't the S3 have Kies Air, which does exactly this? My S2 has this...

minx

The one problem I have with my phone now is with SMS notifications and such.

If the sound is on, sometimes the SMS notification ringtone only plays like half of its tone, or not at all.

If it's off, or if I have headphones on, sometimes it'll play through my headphones, sometimes it won't, sometimes if I'm listening to music it'll kill the playing music, sometimes it won't...

But it seems that it's a fucking TouchWiz problem, because when I had CM9 for a little while (had to get rid of it because I couldn't connect to LTE here in Canada) it really didn't have any problems whatsoever...

My phone randomly has this problem as well. I love my S3 but it definitely is not as reliable as my iPhone.

zedge

My phone randomly has this problem as well. I love my S3 but it definitely is not as reliable as my iPhone.
Turn off delete messages in your sms settings. It defaults to 200. So if your thread is at that limit it has to delete the oldest message as the notification sounds, this causes the partial sound you get. Found this on xda, had same issue.

Is it worth upgrading from my epic touch 4g(galaxy s 2) to this? My main complaint with the gs2 is battery life. I get like 2hours and 45 minutes on cm9 and 3 hours and 45 minutes on stock gingerbread.

Is it worth upgrading from my epic touch 4g(galaxy s 2) to this? My main complaint with the gs2 is battery life. I get like 2hours and 45 minutes on cm9 and 3 hours and 45 minutes on stock gingerbread.

Wtf that's awful. My E4GT got very good battery life on stock GB. It dipped a bit once I upgraded to ICS, but no where near as bad as that.

McLovin

Any place to buy this for less than $200 on contract? Been monitoring slickdeals but haven't seen a deal in some time. :/
Some places let you trade in your old smart phone. I got $75 for my evo3d from sprint, ended up paying $125. Not bad considering the piece of crap constantly rebooted.

mantidor

ARGH! I SCRATCHED MY SCREEN!

I thought this screen was invincible :( I barely used it and I have been extra careful. Should I get an screen protector? I always thought they were unnecessary for amoled screen but it seems I'm mistaken.

Gattsu25

Banned

I thought this screen was invincible :( I barely used it and I have been extra careful. Should I get an screen protector? I always thought they were unnecessary for amoled screen but it seems I'm mistaken.
Yeah, screen protector is needed. The samsung screen is weak as shit and gets hairline scratches from my fucking thumb, it seems.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

oh the s3 screen is a little bitch. i cased mine up behind an a good centimetre of leather

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I really want to put a screen protector on mine again but last time I did, my armband I use to work out didnt like it so much...It got armband cover stuck on my screen protector and pulled it off :/

Satyamdas

Banned
Turn off delete messages in your sms settings. It defaults to 200. So if your thread is at that limit it has to delete the oldest message as the notification sounds, this causes the partial sound you get. Found this on xda, had same issue.
Ha, thanks for posting this. I must have just hit that limit today, because during the day I went from normal notification ringtone to a garbled 1/4 second chunk whenever I got a reply. Was wondering what was up with that.

I've been using the Google Music player at work, and if I get a text while listening to music, the phone itself rings rather than pausing the music and playing the ringtone through the headphones. Is this something I can change? I checked the player's settings and sms settings and couldn't find anything that looked right. It's weird because if I have Andchat running in the background and I get dc'd, the music will lower and the tone to let me know I've been dc'd plays.

Desperado

Has anyone with the S3 on Verizon been having 'no sim card' problems? I was all set to order my phone tomorrow, but I just came across posts across the internet talking about this problem...

Also, if I do end up getting the S3, do I need to purchase a sim card? I've never had one before because of CDMA. (Is it due to 4G?)

Has anyone with the S3 on Verizon been having 'no sim card' problems? I was all set to order my phone tomorrow, but I just came across posts across the internet talking about this problem...

Also, if I do end up getting the S3, do I need to purchase a sim card? I've never had one before because of CDMA. (Is it due to 4G?)

They'll give you a sim card when you purchase it. Yes the sim is for LTE. And my S3 on verizon has been awesome.

Surfheart

I ripped a heap of my dvds with handbrake for when I had my iPhone 4 and for my AppleTV.

They play perfectly on those devices and on my Nexus 7, but on my S3 the aspect ratio is incorrect, they play too tall and toggling the aspect ratio buton doesn't solve it.

I've tried the stock player and Avia so far and neither of them will play the dvd rips in the correct aspect ratio.

HD content that I've re encoded to mp4 for the Apple TV plays just fine. The weird thing is that Avia on my Nexus 7 plays the exact same files in the proper aspect.

Anyone have any ideas whats going on? I'd rather not have to re encode everything.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I bought cheap ones on Amazon. A 3 pack for $5. I find that they last months of normal use and if they get scratched I just replace them since I have multiples. I learned that with my old phone, expensive ones will get scratched too.

LogicStep

I'm the proud owner of a brand new Galaxy S3 Pebble Blue, I love it! Such an awesome phone!

I'm trying to figure out the whole Android thing, I don't know how to do anything really. Also trying to figure out how to install Jellybean, seems CM 10 is what I need, but I can't find a easy step by step video or guide for it.

Ok so probably a dumb question. Im trying to connect it to my mac to transfer some files onto it, i can't use Kies to transfer the files in question.

What software are you using to add files to the phone???

Top Bottom