• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Didn't see anything in the OP on case recommendations. Anyone have a case they would highly recommend? I've looked on Amazon and while the Otter cases look pretty sweet, there is some negative feedback on them related to how hard you have to push to get buttons to work with the case on.

I think personal preferences are all different. I got the official flip cover and love it. Maybe go to a Best buy and try some out and see what you think. Some make it very bulky.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The GNex standby is atrocious. I would lose about 25% at least during a regular work day on that alone. The GS3 maybe 10%. I would go home probably with around 50-60% battery on moderate use with my GS3 and about 20-30% with the Gnex. The Gnex was laos running 3G while I'm running HSPA+ on my GS3. It's stupid how much more battery life I'm getting.

Hmm, what you're describing regarding the GNex doesn't sound right. When I have mine on standby, it seems to lose about 1% of battery charge per hour (maybe a tiny bit more). Losing 25% in 8-10 hours without actually using the phone is something I don't recognize at all, so I'm pretty sure some app or setting must have been the cause of that.

suplex

Not sure if this has been posted, but beautiful widgets and swiftkey 3 (and some other stuff) are on sale for 99 cents in the play store right now.

A.Romero

Yeah, I'm going back to stock. I installed the mod for jelly bean but I'm not feeling it. A lot of things are missing.

I suggest to hang in there. Cm is very superior in performance although this time Samsung did a good job with stock...

LogicStep

Can I just plug it in with Kies and go back to stock or is it a process like rooting and getting up to cm10?

I will stick to it for a bit longer, see if I can get it similar to stock. Doesn't help that I have no idea what I'm doing on Android.

Ptaaty

Didn't see anything in the OP on case recommendations. Anyone have a case they would highly recommend? I've looked on Amazon and while the Otter cases look pretty sweet, there is some negative feedback on them related to how hard you have to push to get buttons to work with the case on.
Without question, ringke slim lite... Nice feel thin awesome.

Ptaaty

I'm grabbing one of these from Amazon. Will be here next week. Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like it'll be exactly in line with my preference.
Report back how you like it. My friend bought 5 cases and picked this one. I swore never to get a case...but fell in love with this one when I tried it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have to take mine to the service because of a problem with the earphones while listening to music. Supposedly they changed the audio jack and speaker, but it didn't change a thing, so I'm hopping to get a new replacement phone.

tigerin

Leaked rom's have Google Now enabled. I think S-Voice is still there tho too :/

None of the galaxy note 2/s3 jellybean videos at the Samsung event show any kind of Google Now feature. I'm really surprised as that is one of the main feature of jellybean.

I got my S3 last weekend. I cannot believe how nice piece of hardware it is. It's so light and thin, amazingly responsive. The screen is absolutely mind blowingly good. Great purchase.

Sallokin

Really hoping someone can help me out with this. I'm by no means a hard core user of this phone. I don't have a ton of apps installed and before I go to bed I make sure I don't have anything running in the background. Two nights ago my battery drained from 78% to 0% in a span of 8 hours while I was sleeping and when I checked my phone in the morning it was HOT to the touch. Last night it drained from the high 60's to 0 in a similar time frame (with no heat issue though). WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG!?

Davidion

Really hoping someone can help me out with this. I'm by no means a hard core user of this phone. I don't have a ton of apps installed and before I go to bed I make sure I don't have anything running in the background. Two nights ago my battery drained from 78% to 0% in a span of 8 hours while I was sleeping and when I checked my phone in the morning it was HOT to the touch. Last night it drained from the high 60's to 0 in a similar time frame (with no heat issue though). WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG!?

Check your battery status and see what's sucking up the battery. Post a picture while you're at it.

Looks like Best Buy has the T-Mobile version of the S III for $180. Not a bad price; I might actually take the plunge for one. Though, I'm still wondering if I should wait and see what the next Nexus phone might look like.

Ah thanks for that. Just installed it and it looks great.

I hated the previous galaxy phones (or just about any smart phone) but I feel like the processors have finally caught up to allow for an actual seamless experience with the S3 (and I assume the iphone 5). Everything is just fast and works like it should.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dude that's insanely good battery life. I'm not getting anywhere near that.

I use auto brightness and my battery life probably decreases 1% for every 2 min the screen is in use.

Hmm. I don't know. That does not sound very good. I keep it on auto brightness. Here's my usage this morning, 12 percent and about 40 minutes of screen time already in 3.5 hours off the charger:

Screenshot_2012-09-02-10-39-28.png

Screenshot_2012-09-02-10-39-35.png

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
So while my xbox was running netflix, I was scrolling through some pictures on my phone and saw a 1 icon near the top of the screen. So after pressing it, and hitting the change player option, the picture I was looking at appeared on my tv.

It looks like the all share feature recognizes the xbox 360 as a DLNA device. I can only stream videos and pictures that are located on the phone but not music -_-

Anyway, this was an unexpected surprise!

Ricky_R

Got my mine two days ago and I love it. Only two nitpicks so far are the home button that reacts a bit low (wish it was a sensor button like the other two) and the answer slide which is kinda laggy and cheap looking. Aside from that, this phone is marvelous. And the screen, the fucking screen.

Is there a way to change how to answer to a smoother slide?

Swag

Got my mine two days ago and I love it. Only two nitpicks so far are the home button that reacts a bit low (wish it was a sensor button like the other two) and the answer slide which is kinda laggy and cheap looking. Aside from that, this phone is marvelous. And the screen, the fucking screen.

Is there a way to change how to answer to a smoother slide?

To fix this disable double tap home to activate S Voice in the S Voice settings.

Activate S Voice -> Press Menu Button -> Settings -> Disable double tap to activate S Voice.

As for the answer slide, I wish I knew a way to remedy this as well, it really looks terrible.

cvxfreak

Just got mine an hour ago (in Japan) and I'm loving it so far. The last two Android devices I used (Kindle Fire, a Toshiba Regza phone by a different carrier) weren't the greatest products out there, but this is something else entirely. I'm loving the screen, the overall responsiveness, the weight and thinness of the device.

Ricky_R

To fix this disable double tap home to activate S Voice in the S Voice settings.

Activate S Voice -> Press Menu Button -> Settings -> Disable double tap to activate S Voice.

As for the answer slide, I wish I knew a way to remedy this as well, it really looks terrible.

Niceee. Thanks a lot. If you come across anything good about the slide, without rooting or using another launcher, let me know.

I'll do the same.

My thoughts exactly. As far as phones are concerned, function trumps fashion for me. Sure, this thing looks great, but it's also a relatively fragile $500+ piece of technology that I rely on a lot. Which is why I also have insurance in edition to the protective case and willing to sacrifice its sleek design in the name of preventing this thing from being damaged. As others have said, I don't look at my phone as a fashion accessory/statement, its just as much of a tool as my big ugly ASUS laptop is.

Then again I'm the kind of person who physically cleans all his electronics once every three or so weeks to make sure everything stays in working condition.

*edit - Here are a couple photos of my phone in the case I posted above.

dsc01240e.jpg
dsc01241r.jpg

Does it really look that terrible?

I just got an s3 and am new to android how do I make my phone look like that?

surly

Banned
Another Samsung Jelly Bean ROM leaked today (I9300XXDLI1) and it seems to be very close to bug-free. I reckon we should be getting the official release shortly!

Another Samsung Jelly Bean ROM leaked today (I9300XXDLI1) and it seems to be very close to bug-free. I reckon we should be getting the official release shortly!

Yeah I'm using this. The memory leak in CM10 was doing my head in so I went back to stock and have been waiting for the official update, but just jumped on this instead.

Touchwhiz FC's now and then, but the workaround is to do a wipe.

So ive been trying to last week to connect my S3 to my mac, with no avail.

It works fine with Kies, however when using android file system it cannot see a connection, ive used both MTP and PTP but both have the same issue. I have also enabled USB debugging mode and it's still not working.

Any ideas??

Angst

I just got an s3 and am new to android how do I make my phone look like that?

He's using a custom launcher (I'd guess either Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher), which lets you change the icons.

The weather, battery and clock widget is called Simi clock.

Edit - you'll also need a bullet proof case to make it look like that :p

sun-drop

so i brought a 46inch series 6 sammy smart tv last week, dam ...loving allshare mode over wifi.

i was screwing around with my pc's dlna server, and my ps3 last week to stream over some video ...what a waste of time.

download the torrent directly on my s3 .... play in the stock video player...hit the allshare button and boom, seamless HD stream right to my tv.

fucking awesome.

one question though .. Allshare-cast (the mode which mirrors yr phone's screen and audio TO the tv) after hitting the forums ....doesn't seem to be working in any of the sammy smart tv's at the mo. even series 8 ones ... if you have one of the latest samsung rom's on yr s3, you'll have the allshare-cast option under yr wifi settings etc ... press it and it scans for nearby allshare-cast devices.

seems the only thing it works with at the mo is the allshare-cast wifi hub

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/samsung-...y-allshare-cast-hub-ead-t10udegxeu-p35120.htm

grrrr #@!% ... hope samsung are not delibertaly dragging their feet with updating their allshare smart tv line to support allshare-cast ..... whats the point in a smart tv if you have to go buy an addon to use a basic mode the tv shud be able to handle easy...

sun-drop

and PS i wish this was working, i have a nfl game pass subscription ... don't wnat cables, don't want a pc attached.

plex, etc all failed me re gamepass plug ins ..... so it's down to my s3 or tab, and either the MHL adaptor cable, or allsharecast .... the later preferably ..

might buy the dongle, sell it when my tv updates .... :/

cvxfreak

I've been using the Wi-Fi tethering feature extensively (Japanese model with LTE) and it's pretty fast when it works. Tethering to a MacBook Air.

However, it seems to randomly start timing about after 30 or so minutes, but turning off WiFi on the MacBook Air and turning it on again restores the connection right away.

Anyone have any clues as to why this happens? Something I should change in my OSX settings so it can maintain the connection?

I may end up canceling my home internet connection in favor of constantly tethering, but if this disconnect issue keeps occurring, then that wouldn't be the best idea.

Altazor

Been using this beauty for a week and a half. LOVE IT.

I haven't really customized it yet, only "vanilla" Apex Launcher with no theme/icon set. Sooner or later I'll get around to it, though.

Also, it's already rooted and running JB :D (I9300XXDLH8). Haven't got a problem with it.

Phoenix

I've been using the Wi-Fi tethering feature extensively (Japanese model with LTE) and it's pretty fast when it works. Tethering to a MacBook Air.

However, it seems to randomly start timing about after 30 or so minutes, but turning off WiFi on the MacBook Air and turning it on again restores the connection right away.

Anyone have any clues as to why this happens? Something I should change in my OSX settings so it can maintain the connection?

I may end up canceling my home internet connection in favor of constantly tethering, but if this disconnect issue keeps occurring, then that wouldn't be the best idea.

I have seen funky Wifi stuff on Mountain Lion with respect to WiFi, but I have never been able to tell why its happening.

Top Bottom