• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Mesoian

But it records audio fine in quieter settings? Weird. I would assume the S3 would work fine at a concert but I don't know since I haven't tried it. The audio quality from the mic is decent at best by the way. It probably wouldn't actually sound good.

Well yeah, I'm not expecting it to have a massive amount of fidelity, but I do expect it to capture something rather than nothing.

Altazor

OK, so I officially hate my S3. You know something's wrong when your old Nokia 5800 can browse the internet and play music much MUCH better than your shiny brand new phone.

I know the 3G connection problem is the provider's fault, but still, I'd rather use my 5800 than the S3...

damn, bro... maybe you have a faulty unit? I have an S3 and have no problem surfing the internetz and listening to music at the same time, both in wifi and 3G.

(I'm a chilean with Movistar, and yes, the 3G is shitty a lot of time, but eh...)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
what are those features? I've been pretty happy with the unofficial stock Jelly Bean for the past few days, but I might be interested in switching to CM10 once it gets a stable release or something.

Customization up the wazoo. Much better status bar and notification shade. Better rom options. Looks better.

BFIB

So for those who have CM10 installed, does your camera work properly? I saw a few videos and it was mentioned about how the default camera app would not work correctly.

Toki767

So for those who have CM10 installed, does your camera work properly? I saw a few videos and it was mentioned about how the default camera app would not work correctly.
As much as I'd like to use CM10 I like the S3 camera app too much to give it up.

So this is going to be my first smartphone. How important is having a screen protector and a good case? What should I do/install to my phone so I can customise it a lot straight away and have a smooth experience, this ROM and flashing talk is going a bit over my head. Thanks in advance.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So this is going to be my first smartphone. How important is having a screen protector and a good case? What should I do/install to my phone so I can customise it a lot straight away and have a smooth experience, this ROM and flashing talk is going a bit over my head. Thanks in advance.

Start with just a launcher. This allows you to customize your home screen and app drawer. This is most of the way towards customizing your phone.

I recommend Apex.

Ixian

I've always gone caseless/no screen protector with all of my phones (every iPhone model starting from the original, and now the Galaxy S III) without issue, but I'm pretty careful with my devices.

Gibbo

I recommend using a Hard cover back case; and going naked on the screen.

I usually put my s3 in my pocket together with my coins and keys. 2 months on, and the screen is still 100% scratch free. it is very strong stuff...

f0nz0

Been out of the loop in the rooting/custom rom happenings lately, what's the status of the Verizon gs3 rooting/rom community?? Is it fairly safe to do now? What are the most stable ones to go with?

TheExodu5

Banned
I recommend using a Hard cover back case; and going naked on the screen.

I usually put my s3 in my pocket together with my coins and keys. 2 months on, and the screen is still 100% scratch free. it is very strong stuff...

That's my recommendation. Though I go with silicon cases since they're easier to grip.

Screen protector is mostly pointless...over the years I've never gotten more than a few surface scratches on my iPhone 4, and they're only visible with the screen off and at the right angle.

Sometimes shit happens and you might drop your phone. Maybe you're walking down the street and someone bumps into you. Sometimes you just can't plan for these things. A case is a good thing to have since it will likely prevent the screen from shattering.

Altazor

Customization up the wazoo. Much better status bar and notification shade. Better rom options. Looks better.

that sounds nice. One tiny question: does it have that swipe left/right for calls/SMS thingie that Touchwiz has? It's probably one of my favorite things about TW, or at least, one of the few I REALLY like.

Toki767

that sounds nice. One tiny question: does it have that swipe left/right for calls/SMS thingie that Touchwiz has? It's probably one of my favorite things about TW, or at least, one of the few I REALLY like.

It does not have that. Shame too cause that is the one feature Touchwiz has that's really quite ingenious.

Gibbo

anyway always wanted to ask. I upgraded from the s2, and noticed that the sound quality when listening to music isn't as clear on the s3 as it was on the s2. were there any complaints about the new soundchip being used? I've always used poweramp w the same EQ settings so it can't be due to the music app that I'm using

zedge

anyway always wanted to ask. I upgraded from the s2, and noticed that the sound quality when listening to music isn't as clear on the s3 as it was on the s2. were there any complaints about the new soundchip being used? I've always used poweramp w the same EQ settings so it can't be due to the music app that I'm using
That's odd.. the sound to me is quite a bit better than the s2.

Well, finished all the basic setup for this thing. Got Synergy on it, just working on getting my apps back in. Overall pretty happy with the phone, it looks nice, minus the shitty hardware buttons. Screen is gorgeous too.

Still not sure if I want to stick with Touchwiz or not though. I'm gonna give it a week, see if I can adapt to it, but I get the feeling I'll probably just go back to ICS or I suppose use a launcher....

Are most of the stock modified roms without any issues? Like the NFC stuff and whatnot. I would glad jump on CM10, but I think I'll wait for all the kinks to get ironed out.

Darn. Phone is the same price as the iPhone 5 sim-free. Stupid no upgrade contract! Using a 3310 ATM.

I don't think I can justify paying £499. I need a new laptop!

Anyone know the cheapest way to buy in the UK?

Vaco6121

Alright you guys. I have a serious question.

My current phone (Verizon HTC Thunderbolt named StarScream) has failed me for the last time. When I go to concerts, I like taking videos and posting them to my youtube, but lately it's been recording video with no audio. I'm already pretty fed up with this phone, so does anyone with a S3 know if this still happens on that phone? If it doesn't, I'm going to buy one today.

I recorded some concert videos when I was at Rockfest this year, if you want I can upload them for you and you can see if it is good enough for you or not.

That's my recommendation. Though I go with silicon cases since they're easier to grip.

Screen protector is mostly pointless...over the years I've never gotten more than a few surface scratches on my iPhone 4, and they're only visible with the screen off and at the right angle.

Sometimes shit happens and you might drop your phone. Maybe you're walking down the street and someone bumps into you. Sometimes you just can't plan for these things. A case is a good thing to have since it will likely prevent the screen from shattering.

I have a case but no screen protector. I don't put keys or change in my pockets though. Phone is new so I'm playing it safe.

Altazor

I got a flip cover and it has been enough for me. Ugly as fuck color, though.

In any case, I'm usually extra-careful with my phones.

Ixian

Got a Bluetooth adapter for my car's iPhone connector plus a car mount for my GS3, I am incredibly happy with this setup. :) Sadly I can't change tracks via my steering wheel anymore but I mostly listen to long podcasts so that's not such a big deal. My car audio system was the main reason I was keeping my old iPhone around, so now I can sell the thing though it'd feel kind of weird to do so.

ciridesu

Had galaxy nexus, broke it. Plastic cheap of shit, was glass and everything else that broke first though but that's not the point, felt cheap.

THEN, samsung overlords affirmed me... I bought s3 in an instant AND DAMN BEST PHONE EVAR. TOTALLY ON THE ICS BANDWAGON. Tried a 4s soon after and dat antique ui...

S3 NEVAFÖRGET

JayDub

So if I were to move to android, ill lose my unlimited data. How do you all manage your data? I have a kid who loves watching netflix on the go. Also, does the GS3 warn you if you're about to reach your cap? I don't want overage charges.

ultron87

Got my phone yay! So many things to setup and download. One question, is there a way to disable the swipe to call thing on the Contract List? That makes it seems way to easy to accidentally dial someone.

BiggNife

So I know this is like a week old now, but I just heard about how the leaked T-Mobile Jellybean ROM got ported to Verizon. has anyone tried it? It sounds mostly stable from what I've seen so I'm considering unlocking and rooting my phone to give it a shot. Especially since Verizon is always notoriously late with updates.

Ixian

So I know this is like a week old now, but I just heard about how the leaked T-Mobile Jellybean ROM got ported to Verizon. has anyone tried it? It sounds mostly stable from what I've seen so I'm considering unlocking and rooting my phone to give it a shot. Especially since Verizon is always notoriously late with updates.
I've been keeping track of the various ROM threads and they all have some issues that don't crop up consistently for everyone. Think I'm going to hold off in hopes of a Verizon leak, if not, I'll probably just go with ICS Synergy since that includes Google Now which is the main thing I want from Jellybean anyway. If you don't mind screwing around with your phone, it seems like the Synergy Jellybean ROM might be the way to go at the moment, unless you really want stock.

So if I were to move to android, ill lose my unlimited data. How do you all manage your data? I have a kid who loves watching netflix on the go. Also, does the GS3 warn you if you're about to reach your cap? I don't want overage charges.

my phone warns me all to often. I set a warning at 2GB although my plan is for 10GB (TMO, so its 10GB until the cap starts, but otherwise unlimited)

JayDub

There is a Data Usage option in Settings where you can configure it to warn you.

Thats perfect. At the moment Im ping ponging between waiting for the S4 (yea yea, youll always be waiting for the next best thing), S3 or iPhone 5.

THE DECISIONS BLAH

Toki767

Thats perfect. At the moment Im ping ponging between waiting for the S4 (yea yea, youll always be waiting for the next best thing), S3 or iPhone 5.

THE DECISIONS BLAH

I know it's too early to be trying to figure out what the S4 will be like, but I can see it possibly being a quad core LTE device and 2GB of RAM and a 1080p screen considering the Galaxy Note 2.

The S4 will not be out in the USA till literally summer 13 probably imo, regardless of recent rumors. Plus even if it meets the sourceless rumors of March, that'll be international and tack on a couple more months for USA.

Just downloaded the Apex launcher, whats the deal with these?

What are the main benefits and drawbacks? Is it just mostly visual customization?

What customization can you do with a launcher that you cant with touchwiz?

Do they cause lag or seem buggy?

Also when I installed it and pressed home it ask me if I want complete action with touchwiz or apex. If I pick Apex as default, is there a easy way to get the choice back? Dont want to kind of be "stuck" on apex or something, offhand dont know where my phone default preferences are.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just downloaded the Apex launcher, whats the deal with these?

What are the main benefits and drawbacks? Is it just mostly visual customization?

What customization can you do with a launcher that you cant with touchwiz?

Do they cause lag or seem buggy?

Also when I installed it and pressed home it ask me if I want complete action with touchwiz or apex. If I pick Apex as default, is there a easy way to get the choice back? Dont want to kind of be "stuck" on apex or something, offhand dont know where my phone default preferences are.

Clearing the default is an option under app management for the launcher.

Apex allows you to do things like change the amount of app icons in each row/column/bar, change the behavior of the app drawer so you can choose horizontal or vertical scrolling, resize widgets, customization stuff like that. I have never noticed it lagging.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Got a new job that basically requires I use a smart phone.
Everyone else uses iPhones, but we use google docs for everything and I'm on T-mobile, so to me this is the phone that seems most obvious. Or should I wait?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Got a new job that basically requires I use a smart phone.
Everyone else uses iPhones, but we use google docs for everything and I'm on T-mobile, so to me this is the phone that seems most obvious. Or should I wait?

Tmobile is bad about getting the great phones. It is getting the Note 2, but if something that big doesnt interest you I would get the S3.

BiggNife

I've been keeping track of the various ROM threads and they all have some issues that don't crop up consistently for everyone. Think I'm going to hold off in hopes of a Verizon leak, if not, I'll probably just go with ICS Synergy since that includes Google Now which is the main thing I want from Jellybean anyway. If you don't mind screwing around with your phone, it seems like the Synergy Jellybean ROM might be the way to go at the moment, unless you really want stock.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into Synergy. I just want whatever's the most stable.

Clearing the default is an option under app management for the launcher.

Apex allows you to do things like change the amount of app icons in each row/column/bar, change the behavior of the app drawer so you can choose horizontal or vertical scrolling, resize widgets, customization stuff like that. I have never noticed it lagging.

It's probably my new Live wallpaper. Vortex Galaxy or something. Time to remove it i guess.

You'd think on phones this powerful Live walls wouldn't make them lag, but they always do.

snap0212

After using my Galaxy S3 for a few days, I have to say that I'm really happy with my device. Coming from a Windows Phone 7, everything was kind of overwhelming at first but I think I'm slowly getting used to it. I have a few (noob) questions, though. Hopefully, someone can help me out here. :)

Stock Software:
There are apps on my phone that I don't use and probably never will use. They all seem to be Samsung-branded: 'More Services', 'Samsung Apps', 'S Suggest', and 'Video Hub' are the ones I don't have any use for. I'm not sure if I can uninstall them. When I go into settings and App Info, it usually just shows me that I can 'disable' the app and force it to stop. I'd like to remove them completely but I don't know if that's possible.

Another question regarding uninstalling software. Will it delete everything related to the app? I've downloaded a dictionary app and it asked me to install some kind of library. I did that and after uninstalling the app, the folder with the installed library was still there and I had to delete it manually. I'm afraid that this will lead to me having a lot of space simply wasted.

RAM:
It's really nice that I can check how much RAM is currently in use. However, I have no idea which of the processes are actually important and which ones just run for the sake of it and take up memory. It shows me that something called 'BroadcomMEMsService' is running but I have absolutely no idea what that thing's doing, why it's running and what started it. Same goes for various other processes.

I know having serivces run in the background makes sure they (re)start quickly but there's no need for that with certain apps. I don't need my FritzBox App running in the background, for example. It started up pretty fast when I first downloaded it and seeing that something related to the app runs in the background just makes me think 'Go away, you're using my RAM!'

Oh, and what are some good websites when it comes to App recommendations/reviews?

edit: And I just downloaded flash, which works surprisingly well. It's not on the PlayStore anymore, but I found it on Adobe's site. Will flash still work when the update comes out or will that disable flash completely?

TimeKillr

After using my Galaxy S3 for a few days, I have to say that I'm really happy with my device. Coming from a Windows Phone 7, everything was kind of overwhelming at first but I think I'm slowly getting used to it. I have a few (noob) questions, though. Hopefully, someone can help me out here. :)

Stock Software:
There are apps on my phone that I don't use and probably never will use. They all seem to be Samsung-branded: 'More Services', 'Samsung Apps', 'S Suggest', and 'Video Hub' are the ones I don't have any use for. I'm not sure if I can uninstall them. When I go into settings and App Info, it usually just shows me that I can 'disable' the app and force it to stop. I'd like to remove them completely but I don't know if that's possible.

Another question regarding uninstalling software. Will it delete everything related to the app? I've downloaded a dictionary app and it asked me to install some kind of library. I did that and after uninstalling the app, the folder with the installed library was still there and I had to delete it manually. I'm afraid that this will lead to me having a lot of space simply wasted.

RAM:
It's really nice that I can check how much RAM is currently in use. However, I have no idea which of the processes are actually important and which ones just run for the sake of it and take up memory. It shows me that something called 'BroadcomMEMsService' is running but I have absolutely no idea what that thing's doing, why it's running and what started it. Same goes for various other processes.

I know having serivces run in the background makes sure they (re)start quickly but there's no need for that with certain apps. I don't need my FritzBox App running in the background, for example. It started up pretty fast when I first downloaded it and seeing that something related to the app runs in the background just makes me think 'Go away, you're using my RAM!'

Oh, and what are some good websites when it comes to App recommendations/reviews?

edit: And I just downloaded flash, which works surprisingly well. It's not on the PlayStore anymore, but I found it on Adobe's site. Will flash still work when the update comes out or will that disable flash completely?

Stock software: Unless you root and install something like Titanium Backup or App Manager, you can't delete stock apps. It's a bit annoying. Technically, they're installed somewhere else than normal apps, and that tells Android that you can't remove them, because they're system apps. If you disable them, it should work well, though - they won't run and stuff.

As for RAM, you really don't have to worry about it, mostly because you have 2 gigs of ram in the phone, and Android is pretty good at memory management. The only issue is that you might have some lingering software that drains your battery, but the odds of that are kinda low.

snap0212

As for RAM, you really don't have to worry about it, mostly because you have 2 gigs of ram in the phone, and Android is pretty good at memory management. The only issue is that you might have some lingering software that drains your battery, but the odds of that are kinda low.
Thank you. :)

Though one last question: Sometimes Chrome seems a bit laggy (and worse than the stock browser) and that's why I thought I should clear up the RAM. Is Chrome in general just not perfect or may it actually be the RAM?

Top Bottom