• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

LogicStep

I realized something this week.. this phone is almost unusable in the sunlight...

Also, dunno if this applies to everyone but I'm on AT&T and I had an iPhone with unlimited data. I got my S3 and renewed contract but I did it at Best Buy since I was told if I did it there I could keep my unlimited data plan. Maybe it works like that for other companies?

Stock software: Unless you root and install something like Titanium Backup or App Manager, you can't delete stock apps. It's a bit annoying. Technically, they're installed somewhere else than normal apps, and that tells Android that you can't remove them, because they're system apps. If you disable them, it should work well, though - they won't run and stuff.

As for RAM, you really don't have to worry about it, mostly because you have 2 gigs of ram in the phone, and Android is pretty good at memory management. The only issue is that you might have some lingering software that drains your battery, but the odds of that are kinda low.
yeah, system apps are on the system partition, and you can't even touch that partition without rooting the device. removing them will most likely also make stock firmware upgrades not work because the installer will detect missing stuff.

NOTEd hahahahahaha hehehe heeeeeee....
Sorry.
thanks.

one more for the good guys!

Is there any way to prioritize WiFi networks? I have a dual band router and prefer to use the 5Ghz connection, but it doesn't reach into my bedroom so I have things switch to my 2.4. When I'm in range I'd like it to connect back to the 5.

.GqueB.

Banned
I realized something this week.. this phone is almost unusable in the sunlight...

Also, dunno if this applies to everyone but I'm on AT&T and I had an iPhone with unlimited data. I got my S3 and renewed contract but I did it at Best Buy since I was told if I did it there I could keep my unlimited data plan. Maybe it works like that for other companies?

Do you up your brightness setting?

M_A_C

Could you explain that more? I'm looking to keep my data plan also. Is that something AT&T told you or Bestbuy? Did it work?

LogicStep

Do you up your brightness setting?

Yeah I max it out and I can barely see much if it's the middle of the day.

Could you explain that more? I'm looking to keep my data plan also. Is that something AT&T told you or Bestbuy? Did it work?

The BB rep told me that if I went to AT&T they could pull that bs that since it's a 4G phone my previous plan wouldn't work. He told me that by doing it at BB I could keep it because they just refresh the contract. Something along those lines. Go to a BB and ask them. And yeah, it worked. I have unlimited data.

I wanted to ask anyone on CM10. Is the gps busted? In google maps I can't get a lock on my position.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah I max it out and I can barely see much if it's the middle of the day.

The BB rep told me that if I went to AT&T they could pull that bs that since it's a 4G phone my previous plan wouldn't work. He told me that by doing it at BB I could keep it because they just refresh the contract. Something along those lines. Go to a BB and ask them. And yeah, it worked. I have unlimited data.

I wanted to ask anyone on CM10. Is the gps busted? In google maps I can't get a lock on my position.

Gps works perfectly for me in CM10.

Cipherr

Thank you. :)

Though one last question: Sometimes Chrome seems a bit laggy (and worse than the stock browser) and that's why I thought I should clear up the RAM. Is Chrome in general just not perfect or may it actually be the RAM?

Thats definitely just Chrome. I reckon once they finally iron out all the issues in Chrome that it will become the default Android browser. But until then it sort of exists as an option because it still has some issues here and there. In my experience the stock browser is still the overall most reliable one. But you can see a lot of chrome features that will be nice to have once they completely finish Chrome.

But as for your question, yeah freeing ram wont do anything for chrome. Thats just Chrome being incomplete.

scoobs

guys i ran into an iphone 5 fanboy last night that works at AT&T. I put my phone next to his and he said "I'm just glad my phone is smaller, it must be hard having to use two hands to use your phone." I laughed in his face, I have a feeling I'm gonna be fighting off the haters everywhere I go. I think it might be a good idea to just save a pic of the galaxy s3 vs iphone 5 stat sheet, so I don't have to bother arguing. People are so hostile about defending their cellphones lol

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
So, I'm gonna go get mine today. Any advice on a case? I'm a clumsy buffoon...

guys i ran into an iphone 5 fanboy last night that works at AT&T. I put my phone next to his and he said "I'm just glad my phone is smaller, it must be hard having to use two hands to use your phone." I laughed in his face, I have a feeling I'm gonna be fighting off the haters everywhere I go. I think it might be a good idea to just save a pic of the galaxy s3 vs iphone 5 stat sheet, so I don't have to bother arguing. People are so hostile about defending their cellphones lol

God who gives a shit...

scoobs

So, I'm gonna go get mine today. Any advice on a case? I'm a clumsy buffoon...

God who gives a shit...

Hard to say, but you'd be surprised the shit i get from my friends that have no idea what they're talking about. People are weird about their phones.

snap0212

Hard to say, but you'd be surprised the shit i get from my friends that have no idea what they're talking about.
All of my friends automatically assume that whatever stuff I own is the best. They're all not really interested in tech at all so they assume that the guy who can fix their computer obviously knows best.

So, I just got this phone as my first smartphone.

I was trying to decide between the S3 and the iPhone5, and ended up going with the S3. Love the design, the internet is snappy, the camera is surprisingly good, and I'm generally very happy with the phone over all.

So, a few questions:

I keep getting this "data roaming" warning... despite me being solidly in Miami for the moment. I also get it randomly. What the fuck? I think it's trying to get me to opt into a Data Roaming service that I do not want. Secondly, the screen sometimes flickers and dims a little. I don't think that's normal, what can I do?

snap0212

Secondly, the screen sometimes flickers and dims a little. I don't think that's normal, what can I do?
I don't know about your first problem but do you have auto brightness activated? The cell phone notices how much light there is in the environment and lights the display accordingly. You should find the setting when pulling down the notification menu. Just uncheck the box right next to the brightness slider.

I don't know about your first problem but do you have auto brightness activated? The cell phone notices how much light there is in the environment and lights the display accordingly. You should find the setting when pulling down the notification menu. Just uncheck the box right next to the brightness slider.

Thank you. I probably activated it when I was messing around with the settings.

I can, like, see message history and stuff! This is amazing! And I can check emails! On the go! While I look at maps!

Cipherr

Thank you. I probably activated it when I was messing around with the settings.

I can, like, see message history and stuff! This is amazing! And I can check emails! On the go! While I look at maps!

Although that roaming issue you describes worries me. I have never heard of or seen anything like that. You should do a search and see if anyone else had that problem, if not I would consider visiting a carrier store and asking them whats up. At least just to make sure you didn't get a faulty unit with a bad radio.

nib95

Banned
Some impressions comparing it to the iPhone 5, I know there's the debate thread but I thought some of you guys might be interested. Pluses and minuses for both tbh.

nib95 said:
Just had an epic iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S3 comparathon with all my cousins etc present. Pretty much a unanimous win for the S3, but the weirdest thing was I was there defending the iPhone 5.

I think the biggest selling point is the screen size. Coupled with the actual blacks as oppose to greys (comparatively) of the 5, vids just look much better. Using the YouTube app the vids are much bigger and more detailed on the S3. Loaded N***as in Paris Live and for some reason it was letterboxed on the 5 and full screen on the S3.

Video loading speed was much quicker on the S3, with the 5 stalling a lot.

Crunchyroll vids looked better on the S3, I think they may have been direct flash vs iPhone specific.

Speaker wise I think the 5 is ever so slightly louder, but I expected it to be much louder. With both on at max volume, you can't really hear one especially over the other. It's close, at least it was in our already fairly noisy environment.

Camera quality wise, the 5 is a bit brighter in low light, and might be a touch less noisy too, but the S3 shots seem a tad more detailed. 5 was a touch softer in low light.

Video quality (again low light only) S3 seemed better. Slightly less bright but far more detailed and better much wider angle. Both seem smooth.

Both mess up on white balance camera vid wise. The 5 is too saturated and warm, the S3 too cool and less colourful.

Panorama overall was better on S3. With the 5 you're stuck with portrait, S3 you have landscape too. Again, S3 is slightly darker but seemed to pick up more detail. Both stitched really well.

Web wise, S3 was only on ICS and I think the 5 was marginally quicker, both being very quick. S3 showed more info, but whites were less bright, with blacks superior. 5 had more accurate whites but less accurate blacks.

We only tested one other app, auto rap, and I think it processed faster on the S3, but I fully expect it to be a software update thing for the 5.

In the time we used both phones, the S3 used about 4% less of its battery. Both lost little. Was not really a valid battery comparison.

I think the video at the same time as Web browsing thing was an impressive feature of the S3, as was smart stay which seemed to help. Main thing was that media just seemed more impressive on the bigger and what looked to be more detailed screen (at least with the media we played).

I think both are amazing though, but my pick will remain the S3. I expected more from the 5's camera and speakers tbh, but it might just be the conditions.

TheExodu5

Banned
S3 is just fantastic for watching video. As much as I enjoyed my iPhone, the screen just doesn't cut it for videos. YouTube also does work much better with Chrome than it did with Safari.

I would take the iPhone 5 much more seriously if it didn't look ridiculous with it's 16:9 aspect ratio.

I thought it looked ridiculous at first too, but seeing it in person, it looks fine. I'm slightly jealous...it is a sexy looking phone.

Ixian

I think the iPhone 5 is a great little device. It's the OS and Apple's core apps I'm tired of, particularly when I can't change defaults.

MooMoo

Just a couple of questions (I'm sure I'll have more in the coming week):

1. Is there a way to have the date show up in the top status bar?
2. I'm using Chrome as my browser. One of the things I liked about my 3GS was that I could tap the top to auto-browse back to the top of the page. Is there anything like that? I tried doing the same thing but it just ends up trying to pull down the notifications listing.
3. Is there a way to get a toggle for brightness settings?

Anyways, this is a pretty awesome phone. Leaps ahead of my old crummy 3GS.

The Lamp

Am I using Galaxy's version of Siri wrong or something?

"Find yogurt shops in X city"
"Here's a list of places I found!"
1) Bed Bath & Beyond

etc.

I removed "shops" and just said "Find yogurt in X city", same results. I replaced "yogurt" with "stores", got the same results.

It was odd. It doesn't work well at all sometimes.

1) Bed Bath & Beyond

etc.

I removed "shops" and just said "Find yogurt in X city", same results. I replaced "yogurt" with "stores", got the same results.

do you seriously use that function to find yogurt? Do you google that?

kinggroin

Banned
Just a couple of questions (I'm sure I'll have more in the coming week):

1. Is there a way to have the date show up in the top status bar?
2. I'm using Chrome as my browser. One of the things I liked about my 3GS was that I could tap the top to auto-browse back to the top of the page. Is there anything like that? I tried doing the same thing but it just ends up trying to pull down the notifications listing.
3. Is there a way to get a toggle for brightness settings?

Anyways, this is a pretty awesome phone. Leaps ahead of my old crummy 3GS.

Go into settings then gestures. Enable tap to move to top.

When you're at the bottom of a web page, double tap the top of your phone (the case, not the screen) and it will go to the top. Don't baby tap either.

snack

Ran into an issue just now.

My Galaxy S3 screen stays on after being fully charged. Won't go back off and timeout itself unless I push the power button.

Anyone have this problem as well?

Cipherr

1) Bed Bath & Beyond

etc.

Works fine for me:

OCRP8.png

Is that S-Voice you are using or Google Now? Google Now doesnt speak back to you on searches like that I dont think. But then again my phone is muted now, so maybe it does. But from your description it sounds like you are using S-Voice, that thing isnt Googles, its Samsungs, and its awful.

snap0212

Is that S-Voice you are using or Google Now? Google Now doesnt speak back to you on searches like that I dont think. But then again my phone is muted now, so maybe it does. But from your description it sounds like you are using S-Voice, that thing isnt Googles, its Samsungs, and its awful.
The samsung voice this is completely useless for me. It always tells me that it'll look for "whatever I said" on the internet but then I'd actually have to press the button to make it look on the internet. Useless.

zedge

Ran into an issue just now.

My Galaxy S3 screen stays on after being fully charged. Won't go back off and timeout itself unless I push the power button.

Anyone have this problem as well?

Is the screen set to timeout still?

The samsung voice this is completely useless for me. It always tells me that it'll look for "whatever I said" on the internet but then I'd actually have to press the button to make it look on the internet. Useless.

Yea its not very good. Soon enough we will have google now and not need it anymore. :)

justjohn

Have to say, I love the pop up play. My attention span isn't very good, so watching a video and doing something else is just perfect.

FireCloud

Weird. I remember on the S2 there is a setting "keep screen on only when charging' or something. This doesn't seem to be on the S3, can't find it anyway.

I ended up using Llama to change the screen timeout to 0 (which disables the screen timeout) when plugged in and to reset it back to 1 minute when running off the battery.

It was a pain having the screen timeout while I had my phone plugged in and docked while driving. It seems that Google Maps will keep the screen on when navigating but Google Music won't.

I couldn't find any system settings for accomplishing this.

marrec

Banned
Picked this phone up yesterday and I have to say I am pretty freaking amazed so far. Still fiddling with stuff here and there. I am sure this gets asked every page, but are there any essential tweaks I should perform?

zedge

Picked this phone up yesterday and I have to say I am pretty freaking amazed so far. Still fiddling with stuff here and there. I am sure this gets asked every page, but are there any essential tweaks I should perform?

Go into your sms settings and turn off delete old messages or increase the limit from 200 to something much higher. If you don't once one of your threads hits 200 you will start to get half a notification sound. Not sure whey they felt this should be so low.

marrec

Banned
Go into your sms settings and turn off delete old messages or increase the limit from 200 to something much higher. If you don't once one of your threads hits 200 you will start to get half a notification sound. Not sure whey they felt this should be so low.

Hey thanks, probably wouldn't have found that on my own. Why on earth would it be so low? 200 texts is nothing when you have 32g of storage space.

About to order a case off Amazon. Debating Incipio vs Otterbox commuter. Not sure which to settle on. I've owned similar Otterbox cases before, didn't mind the backing, but I hear the buttons are shitty to use. Incipio looks great, nice backing, but it's thinner and probably has less protection (particularly in regard to the screen) than the Otterbox.

Mostly looking for a case with some kind of decent lip on the front as I don't want to use a screen protector. Otherwise I'd just use the Defender..

Any suggestions?

About to order a case off Amazon. Debating Incipio vs Otterbox commuter. Not sure which to settle on. I've owned similar Otterbox cases before, didn't mind the backing, but I hear the buttons are shitty to use. Incipio looks great, nice backing, but it's thinner and probably has less protection (particularly in regard to the screen) than the Otterbox.

Mostly looking for a case with some kind of decent lip on the front as I don't want to use a screen protector. Otherwise I'd just use the Defender..

Any suggestions?

The new Galaxy commercial features a phone with a flip cover similar to the Smart cover for iPads. I haven't looked into it, though, so I don't know anything about it excluding how it looks. Might wanna check it out.

TrounceX

Any suggestions?

The Otterbox Commuter is fucking terrible. I only had it on for a day, and it left an indent on the top left silver trim piece of my phone. That case also adds way too much bulk to an already kind of bulky phone.

Not sure about the other case, but stay away from the Otterbox.

Tried out both an Iphone 5 and a Galaxy S 3 today and don't see how anyone could get an iphone over the Galaxy when trying out both of them. Seems like the Galaxy is better in every way, except app store quality. So now thinking about getting the Galaxy on T-Mobile with the unlimited 4g with no throttling or caps. What are average download speeds like on T-Mobile? How easy is it to tether this to my home pc so I can disconnect time warner cable?

Cipherr

Tried out both an Iphone 5 and a Galaxy S 3 today and don't see how anyone could get an iphone over the Galaxy when trying out both of them. Seems like the Galaxy is better in every way, except app store quality. So now thinking about getting the Galaxy on T-Mobile with the unlimited 4g with no throttling or caps. What are average download speeds like on T-Mobile? How easy is it to tether this to my home pc so I can disconnect time warner cable?

Speedwise, T-Mobile is no LTE, thats for sure, but its adequate for me:

zjjqcl.png

That top result is on my WiFi here at home. The bottom result is on the T-Mobile HSPA+ network.

Its enough that all of your streamed radio is smooth, streaming from your Google music is smooth, and playing HD video from sites like Youtube is smooth. But its not break your neck speed like LTE. And the upload is very unimpressive, but I only use it for photos and so its also adequate. T-Mobile is supposedly upgrading their HSPA+ areas to 42Mbps, and they are adding LTE soon, but I dont know if the GS3 supports that for T-Mobile since none of that is live yet AFAIK.

In any case, the service Im using costs $28 a month, I bought my phone in full and own it, and I get unlimited data and text, and 100 minutes (every extra minute past that is 10 cents per minute). So for the price the speed is fine. But if you need real breakneck speed, look somewhere other than T-Mobile.

Speedwise, T-Mobile is no LTE, thats for sure, but its adequate for me:

http://i.imgur.com/zjjqcl.png/IMG]

That top result is on my WiFi here at home. The bottom result is on the T-Mobile HSPA+ network.

Its enough that all of your streamed radio is smooth, streaming from your Google music is smooth, and playing HD video from sites like Youtube is smooth. But its not break your neck speed like LTE. And the upload is very unimpressive, but I only use it for photos and so its also adequate. T-Mobile is supposedly upgrading their HSPA+ areas to 42Mbps, and they are adding LTE soon, but I dont know if the GS3 supports that for T-Mobile since none of that is live yet AFAIK.

In any case, the service Im using costs $28 a month, I bought my phone in full and own it, and I get unlimited data and text, and 100 minutes (every extra minute past that is 10 cents per minute). So for the price the speed is fine. But if you need real breakneck speed, look somewhere other than T-Mobile.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. Seems like a good way to go for me. Anyone have a S3 on Sprint and tested out LTE speeds? Sprint's 3G speeds are so horrible so I am kind of curious how their LTE is doing. They would be my other option besides T-Mobile.

Top Bottom