• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

snack

Is it possible to accurately measure the success of a television commercial and how it's linked to the success of a product? I'd guess the fact that Samsung is continuing this line of marketing means that they believe there's some kind of relationship given the concurrent campaign and success of their phones.
It could also be that they're just doing it to troll the living daylights outta Apple.

Ixian

I so want to flash the Synergy ROM on my phone, but despite an overwhelming number of positive comments about it, the scattered reports scare me off. :( It's like when you're looking at a product on Amazon with a nearly five star average, see a single review complaining that the thing broke after a day and decide not to be buy based on that one thing.

mantidor

So has anyone tried iPhone headphones with the galaxy s3? I'm very tempted to get this Porta Pro headphones, but not knowing if the controls will work is making me wait. I do know from what I've read that the "function" button or whatever works, but not the volume control, I've also read about some apps that can convert and adapt the functionality of all buttons, but unfortunately I haven't found a single hands-on experience with any of these.

It sucks these kind of stuff isn't standard, with Apple in the game that is unfortunate far from happening, but with the success of the Galaxy 3 there ought to be more accesories for the thing.

Also, Nokia, as always (besides software of course) had it right, my beloved stolen n97 had a remote control with an adapter for any regular headphone you wanted, right in the box. I've been looking for something similar for the S3 but also, no luck.

Ixian

So has anyone tried iPhone headphones with the galaxy s3? I'm very tempted to get this Porta Pro headphones, but not knowing if the controls will work is making me wait. I do know from what I've read that the "function" button or whatever works, but not the volume control, I've also read about some apps that can convert and adapt the functionality of all buttons, but unfortunately I haven't found a single hands-on experience with any of these.
I use the Apple in-ear earphones with my S3 and the volume up/down keys are sadly not recognized. I tried one of the apps used to customize the button functionality and my button presses didn't do anything in the test mode available.

An-Det

That's right. As nekura said, they dont work as volume up/down, but pressing it does pause/play the music, which I've found helpful. Would be nice to have all functionality though.

Hi Guys, I have a question that may make a difference to whether I hold out for an iphone + iPad or whether I get a Nexus 7 and an S3.

Questions is:

I really like the smooth presentation and in particular the high responsiveness and refresh rate found in Apple's iPhone and iPad. It may be a small thing to some but the tactile responsiveness is really important to me in devices such as these. I've found Android devices in the past to be jittery, stuttery and less responsive and it irks me. However, I've heard that Google has been working on the Butter project and been trying to improve the responsiveness of their OS.

Can anyone tell me how the responsiveness of Android devices now compares to Apple's devices these days?

LogicStep

Hi Guys, I have a question that may make a difference to whether I hold out for an iphone + iPad or whether I get a Nexus 7 and an S3.

Questions is:

I really like the smooth presentation and in particular the high responsiveness and refresh rate found in Apple's iPhone and iPad. It may be a small thing to some but the tactile responsiveness is really important to me in devices such as these. I've found Android devices in the past to be jittery, stuttery and less responsive and it irks me. However, I've heard that Google has been working on the Butter project and been trying to improve the responsiveness of their OS.

Can anyone tell me how the responsiveness of Android devices now compares to Apple's devices these days?
I know what you're talking about, I had an iPhone for 4 years. On the S3 at least it feels the same to me. I have CM10 installed.

Toki767

Questions is:

There is virtually no lag on the S3, but you should play with it in person to see for yourself. I notice tons of lag at times on my iPad when people have been saying that iOS is always smooth. Different experience for everyone.

kaskade

I was a little worried about having a not smooth experience, especially since I've owned earlier android devices. I can say so far it's been great for the couple days I've had it. I'm going to wait until the Jelly Bean update and use that for a bit. Then I might root it and try out CM10.

When I first got my phone, I stumbled across an option to quickly set the brightness to three levels, each dimmer than the last. But for the life of me I can't find this option anymore. Help?

Also, it is normal for the battery to drain while in sleep mode? I charged the phone fully before I went to bed, and when I woke up it was only at 97%. Meanwhile my iPad held its 100% charge for almost 24 hours while asleep. I keep hearing how great the battery is for the S III, but I don't know if I expected too much or my battery is borked.

Otherwise I'm loving the phone.

Toki767

When I first got my phone, I stumbled across an option to quickly set the brightness to three levels, each dimmer than the last. But for the life of me I can't find this option anymore. Help?

Also, it is normal for the battery to drain while in sleep mode? I charged the phone fully before I went to bed, and when I woke up it was only at 97%. Meanwhile my iPad held its 100% charge for almost 24 hours while asleep. I keep hearing how great the battery is for the S III, but I don't know if I expected too much or my battery is borked.

Otherwise I'm loving the phone.

Down 3% overnight is nothing to be concerned about. Your iPad has a much bigger battery. Plus I'd guess more background processes go on with the phone than an iPad.

e_i

I have found one thing wrong with the phone...actually two things. The menu and back "buttons." I keep on hitting them accidentely.

TheExodu5

Banned

Questions is:

There's very slight judder when switching tabs sometimes on my S3...but it's really no worse than my iPhone 4 was. Overall, the experience is very smooth and better than the iPhone 4 (though that's to be expected since it's faster). I have a few issues otherwise, but I'm liking Android a lot so far.

snap0212

Anyone have cool wallpaper they want to share with me? I'm tired of using the same one.
Here are a few a friend sent me earlier today. You'll have to crop them on your phone but they look great on the display. Not sure if you like them, of course. :)
1347926469479.jpg

1347926519352.jpg

1348042397814.jpg

1348042559210.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
OK, so I officially hate my S3. You know something's wrong when your old Nokia 5800 can browse the internet and play music much MUCH better than your shiny brand new phone.

I know the 3G connection problem is the provider's fault, but still, I'd rather use my 5800 than the S3...

Anybody know when the S3 will come with Jelly Bean installed already?

My contract with sprint runs out in october and hope to get it by then.

OK, so I officially hate my S3. You know something's wrong when your old Nokia 5800 can browse the internet and play music much MUCH better than your shiny brand new phone.

I know the 3G connection problem is the provider's fault, but still, I'd rather use my 5800 than the S3...

Sprint?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, Movistar (I'm from Argentina). I talked to a rep via online chat 2 times, and the 3G service is still working terribly, so I should call them or go to one of their offices in person.

And as for the audio problem, I previously took it to Samsung's official service and they supposedly fixed it, but it did nothing. I already thought about what to do: create a 3 or 4 minutes silent track, where the audio glitch will be very noticeable, and then go to the service again, make the customer rep listen to it and demand that they exchange the phone for a new one.

If it weren't for those 2 things I'd really love the S3, because it's a beautiful, fast and slick machine, but as of now I can't enjoy it.

Nope, Movistar (I'm from Argentina). I talked to a rep via online chat 2 times, and the 3G service is still working terribly, so I should call them or go to one of their offices in person.

And as for the audio problem, I previously took it to Samsung's official service and they supposedly fixed it, but it did nothing. I already thought about what to do: create a 3 or 4 minutes silent track, where the audio glitch will be very noticeable, and then go to the service again, make the customer rep listen to it and demand that they exchange the phone for a new one.

If it weren't for those 2 things I'd really love the S3, because it's a beautiful, fast and slick machine, but as of now I can't enjoy it.

They have Movistar in in Argentina? lol, my family's from Peru and the last time I visited, Movistar was EVERYWHERE.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, they're pretty big in South America. From what I've read and heard, almost everyone here has problems with their 3G service. The connectivity from the other companies is nothing to write home about either, but at least Personal (the one I had before, on my previous phone) let me browse almost all the time. Guess it's the curse of living in a third world country :(

Guys why does Sprint's 4G coverage suck so much in LA/Santa Monica? As in still nonexistent after all this time?
Yep, this is why I decided to dump VM and just graduate to a contract carrier. Definitely not a fan of the price hike, but Sprint was pissing me off. Here in Oklahoma City we never got WiMax, then they stopped doing that, and they have no plans to even think about giving us LTE until like late 2013. It's bullshit.

And I just checked out Prescott, AZ. I spend a lot of time out there, no WiMax, so most likely never getting LTE in any decent timeframe.

Yeah, pretty much done with Sprint service in any form.

EDIT: Arizona is pretty much a 4g deadzone, lol. Hate that state, it's like Oklahoma (spread out) but so, so, so much worse. Fucking mountains.

Yep, this is why I decided to dump VM and just graduate to a contract carrier. Definitely not a fan of the price hike, but Sprint was pissing me off. Here in Oklahoma City we never got WiMax, then they stopped doing that, and they have no plans to even think about giving us LTE until like late 2013. It's bullshit.

And I just checked out Prescott, AZ. I spend a lot of time out there, no WiMax, so most likely never getting LTE in any decent timeframe.

Yeah, pretty much done with Sprint service in any form.

EDIT: Arizona is pretty much a 4g deadzone, lol. Hate that state, it's like Oklahoma (spread out) but so, so, so much worse. Fucking mountains.

Exactly why I jumped ship from Sprint. It wouldn't be that bad if they had respectable 3G service. It feels like having fucking 2G service and in 2012, that's beyond pathetic.

Swiftkey is pretty neat, though I really miss the swipe feature when using it. Hopefully future versions include that functionality.

EDIT: Hmm...the predictive text boxes and autocorrect don't show up while I'm browsing web pages, though. That's a pretty major oversight.

Ixian

Swiftkey is pretty neat, though I really miss the swipe feature when using it. Hopefully future versions include that functionality.

EDIT: Hmm...the predictive text boxes and autocorrect don't show up while I'm browsing web pages, though. That's a pretty major oversight.
Shows up fine for me, though I'm using Firefox.

It probably will not come with Jelly Bean installed already. Samsung is bad about that stuff.

Is Jellybean officially available for the S3 right now or are people who have it right now only using the leaks? I'm getting a S3 in early October, and I'm just wondering if I can update to Jellybean immediately or if I have to wait a little longer for a official release.

wow, i had a 5800...worst phone experience ever.

even my captivate/gs1 was like a dream compared to that phone, and the captivate is horrible next to my gs3 lol.

you have HUGE problems somewhere, LOL.

Ixian

Is Jellybean officially available for the S3 right now or are people who have it right now only using the leaks? I'm getting a S3 in early October, and I'm just wondering if I can update to Jellybean immediately or if I have to wait a little longer for a official release.
Jellybean isn't officially available yet.

Exactly why I jumped ship from Sprint. It wouldn't be that bad if they had respectable 3G service. It feels like having fucking 2G service and in 2012, that's beyond pathetic.

Exactly. It's fucking atrocious. And back in the day when I got my EVO (WAY BACK THEN) they were like, "yeah, 4G coverage should be coming in the next few weeks."

Fuck you, Sprint. I wish I didn't have such a badass grandfathered plan that gave me unlimited data for so damn cheap. :(

gwarm01

Anyone else having issues with the phone randomly opening the camera? It's happening fairly consistently and it's kind of annoying.

I also can't quote people on GAF because it will randomly insert the words I'm typing into the quoted section.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
wow, i had a 5800...worst phone experience ever.

even my captivate/gs1 was like a dream compared to that phone, and the captivate is horrible next to my gs3 lol.

you have HUGE problems somewhere, LOL.
Seriously? I loved it, specially after Nokia added kinetic scrolling in one of the firmware updates. It's true, my S3 has 2 horrible problems that I'm trying to solve, but they are bringing down my enjoyment of it. It's a shame, because apart from that, the phone's awesome.

Peterthumpa

Yup, they're pretty big in South America. From what I've read and heard, almost everyone here has problems with their 3G service. The connectivity from the other companies is nothing to write home about either, but at least Personal (the one I had before, on my previous phone) let me browse almost all the time. Guess it's the curse of living in a third world country :(

They're not in Brazil, though I think that their service should be better than all of our carriers combined (Tim, Vivo, Claro, Oi).

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Anyone else having issues with the phone randomly opening the camera? It's happening fairly consistently and it's kind of annoying.

I also can't quote people on GAF because it will randomly insert the words I'm typing into the quoted section.

You might have the motion shortcut to open the camera enabled without knowing it, and performing that motion. I think it involves rotating the phone while in the lockscreen.

gwarm01

I don't think I have the motion activation set up, but I could be wrong. It will open the camera even if I'm not on the lock screen if that helps. Where can I check that setting?

I was going to wait a bit before I rooted and went with a custom ROM, but it may be that time already.

Mesoian

Alright you guys. I have a serious question.

My current phone (Verizon HTC Thunderbolt named StarScream) has failed me for the last time. When I go to concerts, I like taking videos and posting them to my youtube, but lately it's been recording video with no audio. I'm already pretty fed up with this phone, so does anyone with a S3 know if this still happens on that phone? If it doesn't, I'm going to buy one today.

Alright you guys. I have a serious question.

My current phone (Verizon HTC Thunderbolt named StarScream) has failed me for the last time. When I go to concerts, I like taking videos and posting them to my youtube, but lately it's been recording video with no audio. I'm already pretty fed up with this phone, so does anyone with a S3 know if this still happens on that phone? If it doesn't, I'm going to buy one today.

My phone records video with audio just fine. There's even a commercial with someone with an S3 recording at a concert. I'm not sure how awesome the audio will be at a loud concert though.

Top Bottom