• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

TheExodu5

Banned
So I made a decision since iPhone 5 is more of the same (I have a 3GS) that I will get a Samsung Galaxy S III. My grandpa asked me about getting a new phone the other day and said he would give it to me now as my Christmas gift lol.

The thing is I've already seen the Blue one and I don't really care for it. The only other options are White or Red (I have AT&T). I read that new colors were coming but when I contacted Samsung Wireless US on Twitter they said they don't know when they are coming...

So I guess I'm gonna be getting a White one then? :/ I saw the Grey one via pictures it looks cool...:<

The white one is gorgeous in person. Usually a black man, but I'm really liking this one.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just downloaded SwiftKey. What a joy. Typing is so much more enjoyable with this keyboard. I might actually start posting through mobile GAF now. My only complaint is that you can't use double space to insert a period with predictive text on.

Edit: nevermind, looks like you can.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just downloaded SwiftKey. What a joy. Typing is so much more enjoyable with this keyboard. I might actually start posting through mobile GAF now. My only complaint is that you can't use double space to insert a period with predictive text on.

Edit: nevermind, looks like you can.

Give Swype a try too. I like it way better than any other keyboard because it allows speedy one handed typing.

snap0212

Damn! Lucky you!

Play Store (Android marketplace)

Facebook
ColorNote
Tapatalk (if you browse other forums)
Whatsapp
Poweramp (best music player on anything)
SwiftKey 3
Gallery Lock
Flixter
PicsArt (covert PNG to Jpeg and more)
Shazam
Photoshop Express
Sketch Free
Ice Galaxy (awesome live wallpaper, barely uses up additional battery)

Samsung Apps

Photo Editor (best editor on any phone imo)

A few to start you off!
Thank you very much. I'm still overwhelmed by everything but I'm getting there.

I saw that instapaper is available. Is it any good? And what's the RSS reader you guys are using? So many apps to chose from.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I made a decision since iPhone 5 is more of the same (I have a 3GS) that I will get a Samsung Galaxy S III. My grandpa asked me about getting a new phone the other day and said he would give it to me now as my Christmas gift lol.

The thing is I've already seen the Blue one and I don't really care for it. The only other options are White or Red (I have AT&T). I read that new colors were coming but when I contacted Samsung Wireless US on Twitter they said they don't know when they are coming...

So I guess I'm gonna be getting a White one then? :/ I saw the Grey one via pictures it looks cool...:<
If you're switching from iOS you should definitely take a look at the upcoming Windows Phone 8 devices. Absolutely beautiful looking phones.

Cipherr

When posting on GAF from my GNex I pretty much exclusively use voice dictation unless I'm in a place where its not appropriate. The voice recognition works fantastic in 4.1 at least. I need to try these new keypad options if they truly take some of the slow 'tap tap tap' out of smartphone keyboard text entry.

The Next Big Thing is Already Here -- Samsung Galaxy S III

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx19ZM&feature=player_embedded

ibIUgJnBTGcb4.gif

Who are they trying to capture with this ad? Seems like they're shitting on iPhone users, basically.

"Oh, you're still using THAT? Pfff, this is the new shit."

worked well the last time... this is in line with the same series of ads that helped propel the Galaxy Note into being a big success for Samsung.

TheExodu5

Banned
I was finding the phone a bit big at first, and unwieldy to use one handed...but you know what? I tried my iPhone 4 again yesterday, and I can't go back. The screen is so small. Videos are especially so much more enjoyable now on a big screen.

Also, Emit is an absolutely incredible video streaming app. Interface sucks, but the quality is incredible. Far better than Air Video. A video at 150kbps looks as good as a video at 384kbps on Air Video. Very impressive.

I hate this thread. I have been going back and forth over returning my VM EVO 3D and picking up a contract and this phone. Mostly because Sprint will likely never offer 4G in my area (Oklahoma City).

But is a $60~ increase in service charges worth it? I don't know. I'm in college so WiFi is everywhere, the only time I use mobile data is for Spotify while I'm on the go. I only ever seem to have my iPad around when I'm near a WiFi connection.

Ugh, someone help me justify buying this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
worked well the last time... this is in line with the same series of ads that helped propel the Galaxy Note into being a big success for Samsung.
Are those ads responsible for its success?

I dunno, it just seems like a strange marketing tactic. It's one thing to show off superiority of your product but it's another to basically insult those using a competing device.

how did it work well?
seems it worked well enough for them to continue with that theme...

Are those ads responsible for its success?

I dunno, it just seems like a strange marketing tactic. It's one thing to show off superiority of your product but it's another to basically insult those using a competing device.
it's a tried and true marketing tactic employed by many before.

damn, Samsung keeps copying stuff!

seems it worked well enough for them to continue with that theme...

I know but how. was it the ads or the phones themselves? The iPhone sales are rising at the same rate every year. more users are flowing from old phones to smart phones. On a Phone to Phone basis the iPhone sales are increasing 2 fold (ignore iOS to Android)

tfur

I know but how. was it the ads or the phones themselves? The iPhone sales are rising at the same rate every year. more users are flowing from old phones to smart phones. On a Phone to Phone basis the iPhone sales are increasing 2 fold (ignore iOS to Android)

Iphone sales numbers rise, but as a percentage of the market place they do not. The global iphone market share has been flat lined for years now.

In the news yesterday. Note the year over year shrinkage for iphone.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/worldwide-market-share-for-smartphones-a-market-dominated-by-apple-and-android/2012/09/18/fa3f8f56-019b-11e2-bbf0-e33b4ee2f0e8_story.html

I think anything that makes people question the value of competitors' product, can be a successful move. Certainly Samsung is doing something right, as the now, top smartphone vendor.

I do think the Android market share will have to stop growing soon, since it is so high.

Fugu

I have a quandary.

It would seem that the copying and pasting function on my phone has stopped working. I can copy text just fine, but I can't paste it; when I press and hold, an option to paste never comes up, and pressing the "Clipboard" button that does come up does nothing. Furthermore, when I attempt to copy a body of text or an image, the application that I attempt to copy from crashes. For example, I attempted to copy the URL of a single post on NeoGAF earlier, and that crashed Chrome. I recently installed Japanese text input, so I'm thinking that might be the culprit. Otherwise, any ideas GAF? (I'm still on Touchwiz by the way)

VanWinkle

Something I really hate about this phone. I go to subway a couple of times a week and subway is in Walmart, where I work. Well if I ever drive by Walmart, or leave work, it automatically will connect to subway Wifi hotspot, but it won't have enough of a signal to sufficiently grab data. Well, if I'm trying to listen to music with Google Music, it will just fail to start until I manually turn off WiFi or drive a good amount of distance away so it disconnects from the hotspot. Its just aggravating that ill be driving past walmart and suddenly my music will stop working. I don't want to have to manually turn off wifi every time I leave my house, i want it to just grab data from which ever connection it can get it from at that time, and if it cant grab that data from wifi it should grab it with the 3g connection. I dont remember having this problem with my previous WP7 phone.

LM4sure

Banned
Something I really hate about this phone. I go to subway a couple of times a week and subway is in Walmart, where I work. Well if I ever drive by Walmart, or leave work, it automatically will connect to subway Wifi hotspot, but it won't have enough of a signal to sufficiently grab data. Well, if I'm trying to listen to music with Google Music, it will just fail to start until I manually turn off WiFi or drive a good amount of distance away so it disconnects from the hotspot. Its just aggravating that ill be driving past walmart and suddenly my music will stop working. I don't want to have to manually turn off wifi every time I leave my house, i want it to just grab data from which ever connection it can get it from at that time, and if it cant grab that data from wifi it should grab it with the 3g connection. I dont remember having this problem with my previous WP7 phone.

If you choose to forget the network will it still try to connect?

Cipherr

Long press on that WiFi connection under options and click 'Forget this network". It wont connect to it again. Or select "Only use WiFi if the signal is strong" under WiFi options. That should work. These are the options on my Galaxy Nexus though, I dont know where they are on a GS3.

Its doesn't for me. Thats the only way I was able to keep my stuff from connecting to some of my neighbors WiFi (and their slow broadband) every now and then.

Um every phone/computer/tablet does this. It's not just this device. The WP7 you had might've had a better or worse wi-fi connection so it either didn't connect to the Wal-Mart or it did and was able to use it.

VanWinkle

Well I could do that, but I go there a couple of times a week and use the WiFi since its so much faster than 3G. It would just stink to keep forgetting the network every time I'm done.

Long press on that WiFi connection under options and click 'Forget this network". It wont connect to it again. Or select "Only use WiFi if the signal is strong" under WiFi options. That should work. These are the options on my Galaxy Nexus though, I dont know where they are on a GS3.

Man, "only use WiFi if the signal is strong" sounds perfect. It unfortunately doesn't seem to be an option on this phone.

Cipherr

Man, "only use WiFi if the signal is strong" sounds perfect. It unfortunately doesn't seem to be an option on this phone.

Wow really? Was that added in JB or something? I thought I remembered that from ICS. Seems like a weird thing to remove, its incredibly useful.

Top Bottom