• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

marrec

Banned
I don't care about the movie, I just want access to all the entertainment!

SwiftKey and Chrome always had problems. Minor flaws when you look at SwiftKey and Firefox.

Oh! Did your phone come with the Samsung Media Hub?

It's actually not a very good media service and I'd recommend against it.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Must be that Sprint decided you don't need it. *heh*

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.mediahub&hl=en

There's the play store link, but it may not work with your device since it's a Sprint device.

doesn't work. I tried a long time ago.

This app is incompatible with all of your devices.

Logitech Revue
This item is not compatible with your device.

Asus ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

Sprint HTC PC36100

Sprint Samsung SPH-L710

Acer A200 (last used September, 2012)

Sprint HTC PG86100

BiggNife

I've been getting the same text jumping bug with Chrome and Swiftkey. Doesn't seem to happen on any other app.

I really hope it gets fixed soon. It's hard for me to go back to another browser because I love how Chrome magnifies part of the screen if you click on more than one thing at the same time. As far as I know, no other browser does that.

RuGalz

I hate hate hate hate S Voice so much because it recognizes my voice maybe 10% of time. I usually have it disabled but for whatever reason I am required to have it enabled to use voice dialing function on this new car stereo I got. Anyway, to make the long story short, I finally found the app Bluetooth Launch which will let you set bluetooth action to launch any app you want on the phone. Mapping it to Voice Search and problem solved! No need to toss my phone out of the windows any more...

LM4sure

Banned
Must say, all the hoo ha about the S3's camera and imo it's one of the best out there (bar mainly the newer Nokia's). Even came out on top of the iPhone 5 in low light at Gizmodo, and these comparisons show it performing better than the One X and new Xperia T.

Xperia T vs S3 vs One X camera comparison

Yeah, it's pretty great. My friend has a 4s and was commenting on how great the pictures looked on the s3.

The rapid shot mode kind of stinks though. Most of my pics turned out extremely blurry.

teiresias

I've been getting the same text jumping bug with Chrome and Swiftkey. Doesn't seem to happen on any other app.

I really hope it gets fixed soon. It's hard for me to go back to another browser because I love how Chrome magnifies part of the screen if you click on more than one thing at the same time. As far as I know, no other browser does that.

This same bug happens when using Chrome with Swype as well. So I'm not sure where to lay the blame. SlideIT seems to not suffer the same issues in Chrome though, so I'm using that now (since I prefer sliding keyboards).

buhdeh

This same bug happens when using Chrome with Swype as well. So I'm not sure where to lay the blame. SlideIT seems to not suffer the same issues in Chrome though, so I'm using that now (since I prefer sliding keyboards).

Wait, so you have text jumping into the "quote" section after autocorrect kicks in for Swype too? Cause I'm pretty sure this random text jumping bug started happening for me with Chrome and Swiftkey after the Chrome "better IME" update.

Edit: I should mention that the stock keyboard is fine and does not exhibit this behaviour for me.

teiresias

Wait, so you have text jumping into the "quote" section after autocorrect kicks in for Swype too? Cause I'm pretty sure this random text jumping bug started happening for me with Chrome and Swiftkey after the Chrome "better IME" update.

Edit: I should mention that the stock keyboard is fine and does not exhibit this behaviour for me.

It's not just auto correct, even if I manually placed the cursor somewhere in the text field and just started typing with Swype, regardless of whether autocorrect kicked in or not the text placement actually jumped to weird places in the text field.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I am trying out Apex and Nova to replace Touchwiz.

And I am now testing Nova and I have a couple of questions.
Can you not get rid of the gradient shading at the top of the screen as in Apex?
Can you not get the screen indicator bar to fade away?

I dont see either mentioned in the Prime version description.

So I am trying out Apex and Nova to replace Touchwiz.

And I am now testing Nova and I have a couple of questions.
Can you not get rid of the gradient shading at the top of the screen as in Apex?

I dont see either mentioned in the Prime version description.

they don't replace TouchWiz, just the TouchWiz Launcher...

torontoml

I'm trying to set-up light flow on my S3, is there a way to add Go-SMS to allow light flow to control it. Cause now I'm not getting a notification light when i use light flow and go-sms.

Or is there a way to get the Go-sms custom notification light to show up while having light flow activated.

Swag

If you're referring to the bar at the bottom that shows what screen your on in Apex.

Home Screen Settings -> Indicator Section -> Fade Indicator ( Can disable it with Show Indicator Option )

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

Yep. I just had to go back to stock keyboard after getting frustrated trying to make posts on gaf with the swype keyboard/chrome.

Balboa

Anyone have a link to a collection of nice looking wallpapers for the s3? similar in style to the ones that it comes with

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well I'm using nova and it does fade away, maybe you are talking about the divider? Under the Nova settings under dock is where the options are for it.

Glorious!

Both fade shadow and the divider settings were in the dock setting. Thank you.

Just got my Urban Armor Gear case from Amazon, and it's really nice. Nice blend of the heavy duty protection, but still managed to be pretty slim, and it has a really stylish look to it. Very tight fit, so the buttons work surprisingly well, despite being one mold. Though the power button is not "clicky" like the volume buttons, but still responsive.

It also has a huge lip which is what I wanted as I will not be going with a screen protector. Pocket scratches don't bother me much, just drops.

Only downside for the case I see is that because it's such a tight fitting case it takes some effort to remove. It's not hard, but it took some time. It's also not very flexible.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EPW1MI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TkisFfUcyo&feature=plcp

e43t1.jpg

joaomgcd

Is Chrome much slower than the default browser for anyone else?
For instance, just browsing NeoGAF in Chrome, it's hiccups all over the place. On the Stock browser, it's a much smoother experience.

Is it just me?

MooMoo

So is it normal that the volume buttons don't do anything when the phone is locked/even when you're at the lock screen?

Also either LTE is a huge drain or something is hogging my battery life. I barely have anything on this phone though so it's kind of puzzling to me. When I got this phone I was really hoping I could easily go through the day without worrying about the battery.

The Lamp

So is it normal that the volume buttons don't do anything when the phone is locked/even when you're at the lock screen?

Also either LTE is a huge drain or something is hogging my battery life. I barely have anything on this phone though so it's kind of puzzling to me. When I got this phone I was really hoping I could easily go through the day without worrying about the battery.

Seriously. I just got the phone a few days ago and my 2 year old Droid X almost lasted as long as this phone yesterday. I barely made it to the end of the day with 5% battery left. I used the internet a lot yesterday but still, crap man. If this is how the phone is brand new, my battery is going to suck in 2 years....wtf. That's with all the power saving options turned on, too.

MooMoo

Seriously. I just got the phone a few days ago and my 2 year old Droid X almost lasted as long as this phone yesterday. I barely made it to the end of the day with 5% battery left. I used the internet a lot yesterday but still, crap man. If this is how the phone is brand new, my battery is going to suck in 2 years....wtf. That's with all the power saving options turned on, too.
D: I feel ya man. I think my phone loses 5-10% overnight when I'm sleeping so not really sure what's going on there. I did leave the house today with 80% charge so I guess technically I would have been at about 30% charge by the end of my school day. But so many people here profess that they can squeeze out 2 days if they really try that I feel like I'm missing something. I'm pretty sure LTE is part of my problem though. In my hour commute home I burned through 15% pretty fast.

Anyways, would still like an answer to my question about the volume buttons doing nothing when the phone is locked/when on the lock screen.

Also have another question: the Google Drive app doesn't seem to like Polaris Viewer. I can't managed to open any of my files with getting a "this file has already been open" message and being presented a blank yellow screen. Any ideas what the issue here is?

zedge

Could be worse you could have an iphone 5.. Apparently many don't even get that.

The battery will improve a bit after a few charge cycles.

;)

marrec

Banned
Could be worse you could have an iphone 5.. Apparently many don't even get that.

The battery will improve a bit after a few charge cycles.

;)

This. I've already seen an improvement after just 3 days.

Also there are many ways to help improve battery life in the default settings.

Placed the order for a Galaxy S 3 on T-Mobile with the Nationwide 4G plan which gives you unlimited and unthrottled. Gonna be my first experience with T-Mobile. How hard is it to root and install roms on this phone? Haven't had any experience putting roms on phones in years. Is Cyanogen 10 the best? Really I just want to root for a tethering app.

Ixian

Try messing around with something like JuiceDefender.

Personally I don't take my phone off the charger over night, don't disable LTE, don't run JuiceDefender, so pretty much default everything and I'm usually at around 70% battery when I get home from work, which is perfectly acceptable battery life to me.

Placed the order for a Galaxy S 3 on T-Mobile with the Nationwide 4G plan which gives you unlimited and unthrottled. Gonna be my first experience with T-Mobile. How hard is it to root and install roms on this phone? Haven't had any experience putting roms on phones in years. Is Cyanogen 10 the best? Really I just want to root for a tethering app.

Did you order from the T-Mobile site? Places like Wirefly and Best Buy sell it for like $50 cheaper.

yogloo

Just got my Urban Armor Gear case from Amazon, and it's really nice. Nice blend of the heavy duty protection, but still managed to be pretty slim, and it has a really stylish look to it. Very tight fit, so the buttons work surprisingly well, despite being one mold. Though the power button is not "clicky" like the volume buttons, but still responsive.

It also has a huge lip which is what I wanted as I will not be going with a screen protector. Pocket scratches don't bother me much, just drops.

Only downside for the case I see is that because it's such a tight fitting case it takes some effort to remove. It's not hard, but it took some time. It's also not very flexible.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EPW1MI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TkisFfUcyo&feature=plcp

e43t1.jpg

That's so ugly.

Top Bottom