• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

snap0212

Got my case today so I can finally start actually carrying my phone around. I was going to get the official samsung flip-thingy but everyone on Amazon seemed to point out that it's of horrible quality so I went with some brand called mumbi instead. I have to say, I'm pretty happy about my purchase. The cover cost me about 10€ and the phone fits perfectly, the case looks nice (imo) and it doesn't feel cheap at all.

81xcrm4ya7L._AA1500_.jpg

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Got my case today so I can finally start actually carrying my phone around. I was going to get the official samsung flip-thingy but everyone on Amazon seemed to point out that it's of horrible quality so I went with some brand called mumbi instead. I have to say, I'm pretty happy about my purchase. The cover cost me about 10€ and the phone fits perfectly, the case looks nice (imo) and it doesn't feel cheap at all.

Does the front part attach to the back in any way, like with magnets or anything? I bought the official one and my main problem is the whole thing sliding around when I flip the cover back. If that makes sense

snap0212

Does the front part attach to the back in any way, like with magnets or anything? I bought the official one and my main problem is the whole thing sliding around when I flip the cover back. If that makes sense
There's a magnet, yes (in that little flap-thingy). Seems to be a relatively strong one as well. I can lift the whole thing just grabbing the front cover and it'll not open. Though it's new so that might change soon.

marrec

Banned
Update on the USSD exploit for the Galaxy S3:

"We would like to assure our customers that the recent security issue concerning the GALAXY S III has already been resolved through a software update.

We recommend all GALAXY S III customers to download the latest software update, which can be done quickly and easily via the Over-The-Air (OTA) service."

Update yer phones!

BiggNife

Could you link to the Amazon page for this? I searched for it and strangely I wasn't able to find it.

rjfs

Neo Member
There are really only two things I miss after making the switch from the iPhone.

1 No Facetime
2 You have to call in to get your voice mails

Anyone know any apps I could use as workarounds?

Also the battery blows but I guess that's to be expected with such a big screen.

massoluk

Banned
There are really only two things I miss after making the switch from the iPhone.

1 No Facetime

Also the battery blows but I guess that's to be expected with such a big screen.

Do you not use Google Voice? Best thing to ever happen to voice mails.

marrec

Banned

1 No Facetime

Well T-Mobile has visual voicemail which is actually really good. (Though you have to pay for speech to text, it includes everything else you'd want from a visual voicemail system for free.)

That and Google Voice.

Just convince all your friends that use Facetime to switch to Android and use Google+!

BiggNife

I use an app called YouMail Visual Voicemail to check my voicemail without having to call in. I've been using it since I had a blackberry and I've had no problems with it. Plus it's free!

1 No Facetime

my brother and i use Tango. there's also Fring, Qik, Skype, ooVoo, Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk and some others.

edit: all 4 major US carriers have Visual Voicemail. Free on 3, but text transcription would cost you. Verizon isn't free.

AT&T Visual Voice Mail

T-Mobile Visual Voice Mail

Sprint and Verizon versions should come pre-installed on the phone if supported, and there are APKs floating around for custom rom users.

there are also 3rd party apps that offer it for free, even on Verizon.

kitch9

Banned

1 No Facetime

1) Google Talk, Skype etc etc.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Verizon has a Visual Voicemail app but it costs $3 a month which is a rip. There's a bunch of free alternatives like YouMail.

Yep. But you can easily configure it to run through Google Voice, giving you free visual voicemail, transcription, voicemail by email and so forth.

kinggroin

Banned

1 No Facetime

Google+, and its cross platform with up to five people in a video/audio chat. You also get a peristant instant messenger that supports pictures that's also cross platform. It also integrates beautifully with Android and your contacts. Talk (should come stock on your phone) will also work, but less robust. Both can communicate with desktop clients as well. Your iPhone friends don't have to switch, but will have to download either the g+ app or talkatone (for gtalk)

For voicemail, just use Google's own free Voice. You can check your messages on the desktop as well.

An aside, now that you're on android, take full advantage of Google services. You will be able to do practically everything you could with your iPhone and more with less restrictions.

Edit: forgot to add, but G+ acts as your cloud storage for videos and pictures recorded with your phone. Again, I highly suggest taking advantage of these services.

this_guy

1 No Facetime

What carrier are you with? I have Sprint and have visual voicemail. You can also download Youmail in the market for free visual voicemail if your carrier doesn't offer it.

1 No Facetime

Battery's better than iPhone 4s at least.

Also, vmail programs are carrier specific unless you get Google's own or the dodgy 3rd party ones.

Also.. Better front facing camera (1.3MP v 1MP :p)

Gattsu25

Banned

1 No Facetime

1. Google+
2. Google Voice (even has a widget to show voicemails without having to go into the app)

dc89

A lad at work showed me Google Maps on his S3 today. I was particularly impressed with the interior maps. He showed it me for Manchester Piccadilly Train Station and I was really impressed with the level of detail (basically all the little food courts and shops).

I am tempt.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Google are so US centric. Still no Voice in Australia.

I deal with the lack of music, magazines, tv shows and movie purchases and understand they are probably fighting through licensing bullshit but why no Voice???????????????????

Gattsu25

Banned
Basically what we're saying is just sell your soul to Google and they will give you visual voice mail and video chat.

Fair trade.

Anyway, I'm using an AT&T SGS3 and it doesn't actually check for firmware updates. Whenever I try it states that it failed to connect to the AT&T servers and asks me to try again in the next 48 hours. When I check again it says that I am using the latest version (despite the check failing a few seconds before) and then tell me that I need to wait 24 hours to check again (wtf AT&T?).

I'm using "3.0.8-704434-user" and have no idea if that is even the latest version.

Gotta say, every single thing about AT&T has been annoying me lately.

Gattsu25

Banned
Running stock touchwiz I finish each day with about 65-75% remaining.

I also have six widgets on my various homescreens (weather, google voice [for visual voicemail], and a separate screen with the following 4x1 media player widgets [google music, pocket casts, tune in pro, and audible])

I've heard that widgets were battery killers but it hasn't panned out for me. I do take a couple of overt steps to try to save battery life. All of my apps are set to only download/stream when on wifi, I have the brightness set to auto and the screen timeout set to 15sec, smart stay is off (it never works anyway), the only motion gestures enabled are direct call and palm swipe, and haptic feedback is off.

nib95

Banned
Running Stock Touchwiz (official) and I finish the day with anything from 10-40% left (today I have 30% left and that's still with fairly heavy usage, mainly web). I have completely used it up before though, when I've done a crap tonne of web browsing coupled with heavy use of GPS (long drive), calls and Whatsapp.

Miutsu

CM 10 is custom firmware, I assume?

don't spend much time talking on the phone, do ya?

Basically a Custom Firmware based on the latest Android version (In this case Jelly Bean), retaining almost the same experience you would get on a nexus phone with Jelly Bean but with support for several other devices, thus removing TouchWiz and other things manufacturers put on their phones.

Ixian

So has anyone tried iPhone headphones with the galaxy s3? I'm very tempted to get this Porta Pro headphones, but not knowing if the controls will work is making me wait. I do know from what I've read that the "function" button or whatever works, but not the volume control, I've also read about some apps that can convert and adapt the functionality of all buttons, but unfortunately I haven't found a single hands-on experience with any of these.

It sucks these kind of stuff isn't standard, with Apple in the game that is unfortunate far from happening, but with the success of the Galaxy 3 there ought to be more accesories for the thing.

Also, Nokia, as always (besides software of course) had it right, my beloved stolen n97 had a remote control with an adapter for any regular headphone you wanted, right in the box. I've been looking for something similar for the S3 but also, no luck.
Going to bring this back up.

After doing a bit of a research I ended up with a pair of NOCS NS200H earphones and the controls work great with my Galaxy S III. If you're looking for more traditional headphones, Beats stuff will probably work as long as it's not iPod/iPhone-specific, due to an addition to the headphone jack that Apple made.

Top Bottom