• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, is there a way to get all these shitty Verizon apps off my S3?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You can probably hide them but they'll still be on your phone. You'd have to root your phone to actually delete them if it's possible.
Yeah, I took them off my home screens, but whenever I open up the Apps menu there they are, mocking me.

Can someone explain the T-Mobile upgrade process? I see sales for like $100 for the S3, but when I go to the site and log-in, it's $279. I've had a full-upgrade for a week now. Are sales like that only for new customers?

rc213

Yeah, I took them off my home screens, but whenever I open up the Apps menu there they are, mocking me.

You can disable most of the useless carrier bloat on Tmo GS3, Have you tried going into the settings to disable them?

Settings>Application Manager>All>Click on App|Clear Data|Disable (Some require you uninstall all updates before you can disable).

Toki767

Can someone explain the T-Mobile upgrade process? I see sales for like $100 for the S3, but when I go to the site and log-in, it's $279. I've had a full-upgrade for a week now. Are sales like that only for new customers?

Typically with cell phone companies sales are for either new customers or those who are eligible for an upgrade. Did you go all the way to the checkout page?

marrec

Banned
Just got my S3! What apps should I download? Tell me all the cool stuff GAF!

Well good timing, there's an App Sale going on right now. Right now you should get SwiftKey3 (since it's 75% off) and Dungeon Village (since it's the best 25 cents you'll spend).

Otherwise, find stuff that's going to be useful for you. Evernote, for me, is the best app ever made.

LogicStep

Well good timing, there's an App Sale going on right now. Right now you should get SwiftKey3 (since it's 75% off) and Dungeon Village (since it's the best 25 cents you'll spend).

Otherwise, find stuff that's going to be useful for you. Evernote, for me, is the best app ever made.

Nice I've been waiting to play that game. Bought!

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I wonder how many copies SwiftKey has sold at full price. Seems like it's always discounted whenever there's a sale on Google Play (I bought it during one). But I guess that means that a lot more people have bought it than would have otherwise, and that's a good thing since it's so awesome.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wonder how many copies SwiftKey has sold at full price. Seems like it's always discounted whenever there's a sale on Google Play (I bought it during one). But I guess that means that a lot more people have bought it than would have otherwise, and that's a good thing since it's so awesome.

I paid full price for it. Second best Android app purchase I ever made, behind EasyTether.

this_guy

Touch wiz allows you to hide apps in the app drawer that you don't use. Open up the app drawer and press menu to get to your app drawer settings.

kaskade

Nice to see Swift Key is on sale. I was going to buy it when the month trial was over but no point in waiting now. Definitely way better than the samsung one for me at least. I just hit in the general location of the letter and it's been right pretty much every time. I didn't realize there were a few different themes as well until I checked in the settings.

nib95

Banned
Just bought a bunch of apps via the 25p sale. Paper Camera, World of Goo, Dungeon Village and Sketchbook. If I didn't already have it, I'd have also bought Mini Motor Racing, which imo is one of the best games on the marketplace!

Sagitario

Just bought a bunch of apps via the 25p sale. Paper Camera, World of Goo, Dungeon Village and Sketchbook. If I didn't already have it, I'd have also bought Mini Motor Racing, which imo is one of the best games on the marketplace!

I read some pretty negative opinions about the game and decided against it.
I wanted to buy Asphalt 7 but couldn't cause my card got flagged (bunch of .25 purchases). By the time it was fixed, the game was no longer on sale.

I was about to buy Cut the Rope Experiments the other day, so it was a really nice surprise finding out it was part of today's sale (and Dungeon Village).

snap0212

I wanted to buy draw something because that was on sale yesterday but it was gone when I looked an hour ago. :( Will pick up World of Goo.

surly

Banned
I've been having a problem with my S3. I wonder if anyone can help.

I'm on Orange in the UK. Everything works fine when I'm connected to Wi-Fi. When I'm on the mobile network, if I use Chrome (my default browser), about 50% of the time when I click on a link, the page just immediately fails to load. If I switch to the stock browser, this doesn't happen, which would imply that it's an issue with Chrome except the same thing happens with Flipboard too. If I'm flipping through articles, about 50% of the time when I click on one to read it, it immediately says that the page failed to load.

Also, if I do a speed test using the Speed Test app, pretty much every time it fails with a network error.

I really can't figure this one out, because those 3 apps seem to all suffer the same issue with intermittent connection which implies it's an issue with Orange, yet when I use the stock browser it works just fine.

I've tried clearing data/caches and doing reinstalls of the affected apps, but it makes no difference. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

MooMoo

So with Chrome, is there any way to view pdfs in a new tab rather than having them auto download?

Also ran into an annoying issue where the downloaded pdfs were "unsuccessfully downloaded". Anyone have any idea what the problem here is?

Just ordered this, can't wait. It's actually gonna be my first smart phone

I just picked up the recommendations on ths page (swiftkey, dungeon village, world of goo)

I got the 32gb version and thinking of getting a 64gb microsd card so I can finally retire my old faithful ipod classic. Is there a music player/management program that's especially recommended?

Seanbob11

Just ordered this, can't wait. It's actually gonna be my first iphone.

I just picked up the recommendations on ths page (swiftkey, dungeon village, world of goo)

I got the 32gb version and thinking of getting a 64gb microsd card so I can finally retire my old faithful ipod classic. Is there a music player/management program that's especially recommended?

God. I thought that apple v samsung case was bogus. Clearly it wasn't :(

MooMoo

Gah, so now another question. Gonna repost my last question as well (even though it's just a few posts up);

1. Gmail app: I save/download a attachment to my phone. I then delete it from my phone. Why does the option to save the same exact file not reappear when I go to the email it's in? The only remaining options for the saved file are preview and view.

2. Chrome: any way to just view files in a new tab rather than download it? I found out the issue with my pdf loading. I guess having the file located behind a password encrypted page somehow screws with the downloading. But once again, my old iPhone could open these files with ease so it's kind of frustrating to have this issue in the first place.

Sethos

Banned
Just ordered this, can't wait. It's actually gonna be my first iphone.

wut

If you disable those apps they'll be gone from your Apps Menu/Drawer and will never load processes in the background or ever run or bug you about updates. Basically as good as uninstalling them except you don't clear the space, but you have plenty of that anyway.

A new estimate claims Apple's latest iPhone costs 41 cents a year to keep charged, less than a third of its sibling, the iPad.

The metric, put out this week by energy analytics company Opower, is based on the assumption that iPhone owners will recharge their device once a day for the entire year.

that's some metric!

also, who recharges an iPad (or ANY Tablet) EVERY DAY!?

mantidor

that's some metric!

That's the worst analysis I've ever seen, they didn't even care to include actual use of the devices into the equation. The S3 has a bigger battery so it consumes more, if we pretend all devices start their day with a battery completely depleted, well... duh, no shit.

mike23

That's the worst analysis I've ever seen, they didn't even care to include actual use of the devices into the equation. The S3 has a bigger battery so it consumes more, if we pretend all devices start their day with a battery completely depleted, well... duh, no shit.

Not to mention the fact that the difference over a whole year is 12 fucking cents. I like how they have the arbitrary bars to make it look like the S3 is using a lot more than the iPhone 5. It's a waste of their time to even calculate and create that picture.

I wouldn't even pick up 12c of change if it's on my living room floor. It would stay there until I vacuum it up.

anddo0

I've owned this phone for about two weeks now. Got the 16gb, and later purchased a 32gb card. Am I missing something, can you not move apps from the phone to the sd card? All I can store on the sd card is movies/music/pics.

AndyD

aka andydumi
is there any real difference between swiftkey and swype(which I have)?

There are quite a few. For one, Swift does not have a swype mode. Second, I think Swift is more customizeable in terms of the look of the keyboard. And I think Swift has a better prediction dictionary if you let it study your gmail or after it learns your style over time. And swype's voice engine is not as good as swift's even though it comes from the makers of Dragon which is very very good. So their voice pedigree means little in this instance.

When I got my new phone I spent a week with each and swift came out on top for me.

nib95

Banned

that's some metric!

Wait, a phone with a much bigger screen, bigger battery, more advanced and extensive ui and more powerful cpu uses more battery and uses more power to fill that battery? Wow. Who would have thought.

A whole 12cents difference per year and all...

Just glad Samsung actually were nice enough to include a 2100mAh battery and not something sub 1500mAh which imo is a joke.

LogicStep

Does anyone have a good screen protector that they would recommend? I need to put one on 3 S3's so preferably one that is cost effective.
I'd say go with none. I had one and it ruins the image quality of the phone. And the screen is amazingly strong. You have to try to actually scratch and even then you will provably fail. Check the scratch tests on youtube.

Been wanting to get this but not sure I can. Currently I'm in a contract with Sprint where I'm not eligible for an upgrade until November 2013. I could get the S3 but it would cost quite a bit. I could get it for cheaper with a 2 year contract, but I'm already under a 2 year with my current phone. Don't really want an iPhone for several reasons. Are phone plans designed to screw you over or am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom