• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
At least the new touchwiz doesn't look so bad. Though it suffers from the same thing that the hardware does, NOT BLUE ENOUGH.

rozay

Banned
screens.jpg
oh shit is that S Iri?

gcubed

i think it looks better then anything they released before.

Combine that with a large removable battery, a microsd slot and a bootloader that is sure to be able to be replaced, and the pentile screen negatives are overriden vs the HTC One.

oh shit is that S Iri?

SIIIiri

Toki767

no idea but the one x screen looks amazing

am I the only one that thinks making a 4.8 inch phone as your flagship is kind of pushing it? I don't mind big phones made for that segment of people that like that, but you'd think you'd make your flagship accessible to as many people as possible. Or maybe they genuinely think it's a perfectly fine size for everyone to use.

Just odd. Maybe I'm alone. Not surprised they did this given their recent history, just find it weird in general.

I think they saw how popular the Note was so they thought bigger screens were what people wanted.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
It is, but I wouldnt spend extra on this when I can get the nexus for 375ish .. unless ofcourse you prefer this design over the others.

well it should be faster, have a better camera, have a better battery, have a bigger screen, and the eye tracking sounds neat

Cipherr

well it should be faster, have a better camera, have a better battery, have a bigger screen, and the eye tracking sounds neat

Its also got expandable memory and can use an extended battery. Its a tough call between this and the OneX, but this very clearly has every edge over the Nexus, only benefit the Nexus has is vanilla Android. Everywhere else it gets topped by this.

but it wasn't THAT popular was it? At least not enough to make your damn flagship phone so big. I know it shipped a lot of those but yeah....I don't know.

Those 5million werent shipped, they were sold, so yeah, it did do that good.

rozay

Banned
none of those features will work on an AOSP rom, which is the only thing I'd run on it since touch wiz is still as gaudy as Sense

knowing that the screens are the same I think I'd still get a nexus over this. Camera and memory and battery are better and tempting though.

Cudder

an app on the Market called Screebl does this already, and without the battery drain. Get it, it's awesome.

longdi

Banned
meh... samsung will fail to repeat the s2 success.
pentile sucks. ugly design. ugly hardware button.
htc one x has edge to edge full pixel screen looks like a photo print at first glance.
htc one x has polycarbonate body

i hope sony can design the next nexus.

That design looks terrible, imho. Easily one of their worst. And fuck PenTile.

i'm not a fan of the chrome sides... and the roundness.

they are trying hard to make the s3 not looking like the iphone.

i hope sony can design the next nexus.

I love the design of xperia s and the screen is good as well. sony did the screen for one x.

but the rest of the hardware is very meh, especially the cpu

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
but it wasn't THAT popular was it? At least not enough to make your damn flagship phone so big. I know it shipped a lot of those but yeah....I don't know.

It's basically the exact same size as the galaxy nexus. Half a millimeter longer, a milimeter wider, but 0.3 mm thinner.

It's basically the exact same size as the galaxy nexus. Half a millimeter longer, a milimeter wider, but 0.3 mm thinner.
and the galaxy nexus is really lighting up the charts :p

I disagreed with it then as well but the nexus phones are never really big sellers anyway.

Cipherr

link for confirmed sold and not shipped? Everywhere I go says shipped.

Also 5 mil is nothing compared to 30+ mil the S2 sold isn't it...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...s-says-a-lot-about-the-future-of-smartphones/

And 5 million sold is since its launch in like November, whereas 30 million sold for the S2 is since March of 2011 when it launched. And last I checked it wasnt 30 million either, it was 20 which is a pretty big difference. Also, consider how many carriers the Galaxy Note is on in the US/Canada. Very few, while the S2 is available everywhere, even on TMobile you can buy one.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400625,00.asp

Top that off with the phone still being about the same size as the Nexus because they reduced the bezel, and they seem to have more than enough motivation to go this way IMO.

Glad I didn't wait and got my Nexus, the button ruins the nice glass front and the rest of the body looks very bland compared to the nexus. I'm just jealous for the, for sure, better camera.

Top that off with the phone still being about the same size as the Nexus because they reduced the bezel, and they seem to have more than enough motivation to go this way IMO.
still don't think 5 mil is enough to push it onto your flagship (the ideology I mean)

also yeah 30 mil was combined galaxy sales at the time I believe, 20 mil for s2.

Its also got expandable memory and can use an extended battery. Its a tough call between this and the OneX, but this very clearly has every edge over the Nexus, only benefit the Nexus has is vanilla Android. Everywhere else it gets topped by this.

Those 5million werent shipped, they were sold, so yeah, it did do that good.

I don't even think vanilla android is a benefit anymore. The galaxy nexus has a bunch of issues with slow update that doesn't even fix them.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is there any technical reason that would prevent Samsung from including these features in the ICS update for the Galaxy Note?

rabhw

This guy's talking style makes me feel uncomfortable. His accent is bizarre and creeps me out for some reason. Like a robot.

bailout.gif

jokkir

What? I'm not watching the event. Is this true?

There's a feature where it see's your eyes and turns on the display when you're looking at it. I'm assuming that the camera's are on all the time but I'm sure you can turn this feature off anyway.

zedge

So it's a Galaxy Nexus with a bunch of extra software bullshit on top?

No thanks.
Its a bit more than that.

I would also like to add after now owning a gs2 and a galaxy nexus, vanilla android is overrated. Touchwiz adds alot of functionaliy and to me is still smoother and faster than stock ics.

NateDrake

I need a new phone. Will get this when it releases in US. No date for USA yet, right? Just it'll launch end of the month overseas?

Top Bottom