• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Darkkn

Really disappointed of the design :/ Looks like HTC is the winner of this years Android phone deluge. Too bad that the dual core version of One X is not available here, i'm concerned about the battery drain of tegra 3.

Meh design, pentile display and camera that has not been upgraded... Hype not redeemed imo.

edit: lol the pop-up video is the stupidest gimmick ever.

thirty

Banned
lol @ all the PenTile comments.

How many of you have eyes that actually detect the difference? Or are you just on the hater bandwagon? I've had my i9000 for 2rs now; played with countless other phones, don't see any difference at all.
pentile display is horrible. I can't believe they keep shipping phones with that BS. by itself it's ok but next to a non pentile display or the iPhone, it looks like shit. Pass.

skybaby

wifi direct is on the s2, but this is improved using nfc, as in you don't need to go into wifi direct menus on both phones, just get them near each other

Oozer3993

How many of you have eyes that actually detect the difference? Or are you just on the hater bandwagon? I've had my i9000 for 2 years now; played with countless other phones, don't see any difference at all.

Besides a very faint grain to light grey screens when brightness is set very low, it's impossible to tell on my Galaxy Nexus. I turned the brightness up soon after getting mine and haven't seen any Pentile artifacts since.

Rumors point that Samsung will be making the Nexus 4, so I doubt it.
do they? Last I read it was LG in the running *shudder*. Why would Samsung even want to do it again? Link me to where you've seen this rumour, I must see it as well.

Seems like something HTC/Sony would want to do at this point to re-establish themselves.

Cudder

"We've always had great cameras on Samsung Mobiles."

Yeah, except on the Nexus you shitheads. Who writes this garbage?

reKon

Banned
pentile display is horrible. I can't believe they keep shipping phones with that BS. by itself it's ok but next to a non pentile display or the iPhone, it looks like shit. Pass.

Except it doesn't (depending on the phone). Please cut it out with all the hyperbole please. The Nexus looks great, but the HTC One's X is just better.

How many of you have eyes that actually detect the difference? Or are you just on the hater bandwagon? I've had my i9000 for 2 years now; played with countless other phones, don't see any difference at all.

I own a Samsung Vibrant, PenTile is garbage.

Cipherr

This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVvxoP6Xhxw

I thought Wifi Direct was already in the Tuna?

Yep it is. I think what this does is merge it with the Android NFC bump. So all that stuff in that video with the menus and checkboxes and prompts is gone. Just hold your phone near your friends and tap on the item you want to transfer to the other device, and off it goes.

No more 5 step menus to accomplish it. Its a great idea, but useless until rolled out across all Android devices. If its limited to just S3's right now, noone will care.

jey_16

Banned
Replaceable battery and sd card slot put this above the one x......still not sure if it's worth upgrading from my s2 though

longdi

Banned

i can see a difference....oled is nice for the blacks but i will take rgb super lcd any day! even rgb oled have problem with color saturation and black crush..im a s2 owner.
go take a look at the one x screen, it destroys the note and nexus and xperia s....if sony makes the screen for htc...then i am shocked how come the xperia s is so shitty off angle..

rozay

Banned

These specific screens can suffer from purplish greys, visible textures on the screen, poor whites and a lot of color shifting. The nexus suffers from burn in on the softkeys as well but they aren't present on this phone so you won't have a band on the bottom that is a worse color than the rest of the screen when watching a movie.

The SLCD2s in the One X are actually really fucking nice and hold their own in a side by side matchup with the nexus screen which is why you see a lot of people championing it here.

M.D

i'm not a fan of the chrome sides... and the roundness.

they are trying hard to make the s3 not looking like the iphone.

I love the design of xperia s and the screen is good as well. sony did the screen for one x.

but the rest of the hardware is very meh, especially the cpu

If the lt29i/lt30i rumors are true, that should fix the hardware problem. We should know next month.

If I could buy a phone right now it would be either Iphone 4S or HTC One X or one of the rumored Sony phones (if the rumors are true). I hate my Galaxy S (and Android as a result) with a passion, but I'll possibly give Android another shot. One X looks really good.

Ashhong

Rip off Airplay: check
Rip off Siri: check
Reused Pentile screen: check
Reused Camera: check

The camera is good so that's not a problem. Airplay-similar features are a good addition as long as it works properly. I love Airplay. The only inexcusable thing is the screen. No excuse for cheaping out on a crappy screen. But as long as the marketing blurb will say 720p people will ignore (or not understand) the reason why it looks so poor

Lol, 720p screen "looks so poor" because of pentile. Fuck off with this pentile shit god damn. My S2 looks fucking amazing. There's no way 90%* of consumers will notice pentile. 95% of the people that do still wont think it looks "poor".

*stats pulled from extremely trusted source

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

so what youre saying is, if im not constantly comparing my phones screen to a nearby iphone ill be a ok?

gcubed

These specific screens can suffer from purplish greys, visible textures on the screen, poor whites and a lot of color shifting. The nexus suffers from burn in on the softkeys as well but they aren't present on this phone so you won't have a band on the bottom that is a worse color than the rest of the screen when watching a movie.

The SLCD2s in the One X are actually really fucking nice and hold their own in a side by side matchup with the nexus screen which is why you see a lot of people championing it here.

you do realize that those pixels are "off" unlike the rest of the phone, so the burn in is impossible?

jey_16

Banned
Lol, 720p screen "looks so poor" because of pentile. Fuck off with this pentile shit god damn. My S2 looks fucking amazing. There's no way 90%* of consumers will notice pentile. 95% of the people that do still wont think it looks "poor".

S2 isn't pentile

Cipherr

Its really insane how good the SLCD2 is. I never thought I would want a non AMOLED screen again. Never. But goddamn those LCD2 screens are magnificent.

Those black levels. My god. Some of the best outside of the AMOLED screens. I would take an AMOLED+ over and LCD2 720p screen, but I absolutely would not take a Pentile AMOLED screen over an LCD2 screen, not even at a high resolution.

rozay

Banned

Your S2 doesn't use pentile, but to be fair even with pentile the nexus's display is sharper than yours

bananas

Banned
Wow at that ad. And people call Apple's ads cloying, lol.

"Wow. What a great commercial for a great phone."

lol

thirty

Banned
Except it doesn't (depending on the phone). Please cut it out with all the hyperbole please. The Nexus looks great, but the HTC One's X is just better.
Wtf it looks worse than the Droid x which is 2 years old and lower res. You can easily see the width between pixels and it creates a low res look even tho it's not. There's simply more black space between the rbg. I don't even see how it's arguable.
galaxy-s-iii-microscope-one-x.jpg

Top Bottom