• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

mantidor

I just only realize I have only 10Gb of space in my 16Gb Galaxy S3, does the OS really eat up that much memory? it seems wrong.

mantidor

I think about 2 GB is reserved for the OS ect. You must have something else on there?

Not really, I think its right though, 16 GB translate roughly to actual 14Gb, remove 2 and we get 12GB, I have 11 and something of total available space, so it seems ok, but I filled it up already with music, time to get an SD card, too bad they are so awfully expensive over here.

Ok guys, I finally figured out the source of my WiFi issues with my GS3. The WiFi doesn't work during calls. I've tested this out extensively. I would get on the phone with someone, test the internet and it won't work. Then when I turn off wifi and use the data it would work. When I hang up with whoever I'm on the phone with and use the wifi, it works. As soon as I call back the wifi stops working. This is the 2nd GS3 I'm on, and I believe this was the exact issue with my last one.

This is a very big deal for me as I am on the phone a lot. Have any of you guys experience this issue? I just spent over half an hour with a Verizon tech guy. I did a factory reset and at first everything was working. But it didn't take long for the problems to came back after spending about 10 minutes on the phone with my girl. I think I truly am done with the GS3. Really I want to keep it, but this is a deal breaker for me. I'll probably be getting a Razr HD this Thursday. What I want to know is if I'll still have to pay a restocking fee even if I can prove that the phone is defective?

:(

Never had that problem Rice. Sorry buddy.

I would still need a source beyond that Japanese alpha firmware. I would absolutely love if it ends up being in there, but until we hear word from Samsung themselves, I won't believe it.

(Unless SamMobile knows this for a fact, but I don't believe they're an official blog.)

they're not, but they've got sources, they regularly leak news and firmwares..

Ok guys, I finally figured out the source of my WiFi issues with my GS3. The WiFi doesn't work during calls. I've tested this out extensively. I would get on the phone with someone, test the internet and it won't work. Then when I turn off wifi and use the data it would work. When I hang up with whoever I'm on the phone with and use the wifi, it works. As soon as I call back the wifi stops working. This is the 2nd GS3 I'm on, and I believe this was the exact issue with my last one.

This is a very big deal for me as I am on the phone a lot. Have any of you guys experience this issue? I just spent over half an hour with a Verizon tech guy. I did a factory reset and at first everything was working. But it didn't take long for the problems to came back after spending about 10 minutes on the phone with my girl. I think I truly am done with the GS3. Really I want to keep it, but this is a deal breaker for me. I'll probably be getting a Razr HD this Thursday. What I want to know is if I'll still have to pay a restocking fee even if I can prove that the phone is defective?
isn't that a carrier specific thing? i know tmobile US can have both on at the same time.

Is it futile to waltz in to a Verizon store and start talking to those dimwits about this device?
I have tried talking to in-store employees and, while it is better than trying to talk to a CSR, it is almost always pointless. Are they likely to be aware of this, since it is a pretty big deal for them?

Cipherr

Is it futile to waltz in to a Verizon store and start talking to those dimwits about this device?
I have tried talking to in-store employees and, while it is better than trying to talk to a CSR, it is almost always pointless. Are they likely to be aware of this, since it is a pretty big deal for them?

Nope, not in my experience anyway. They just, know the basics, and want to sell you a contract. You are much better off getting info and questions answered here or on other message boards sadly.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, this morning I got a prompt to "Update Samsung Account", then it downloaded for about 30 seconds. I don't notice anything new. Anyone else?

Swag

Hmm, this morning I got a prompt to "Update Samsung Account", then it downloaded for about 30 seconds. I don't notice anything new. Anyone else?
Has happened to me a few times but I never see exactly what it's upgrading, not that I use Samsung account that much.

Is anyone running stock JB from Sammy having problems with Poweramps lock screen feature? Worked perfectly when I was on ICS but then started messing up when I upgraded.

demonkaze

so i think my data has been activated for my S3 now but when i dont have wifi activated i still have no 3G or any form of mobile internet. I have mobile data turned on but is there anotber toggle somewhere that im missing?

Dudes.

I have my Galaxy S3 being delivered tomorrow, finally upgraded from my beaten up old 3GS and decided to ditch apple in favour of this beast. Have you any tips or advice for a complete Samsung / Android noob that you wish you knew before you first got your device? I'm a bit apprehensive for some reason but damn excited at the same time! Thanks in advance.

VanWinkle

1. You'll be waiting a loooooooong time for updates.

I know this isn't exactly the same, but think about it like this: Apple announces a new version of their iOS - several months later it appears on iOS devices. When Google announces a new version of Android, several months later it appears on Samsung devices. It's just that when Google announces a new one, it happens to appear almost instantly on their Nexus phones (which is even way better than how it is for Apple, but we are lucky to get it in an Apple announce-->release type schedule).

Oh yeah, today my S3, out of nowhere, would not rotate. I was getting really frustrated. I went into Youtube - wouldn't rotate. Camera - wouldn't rotate. Browser- wouldn't rotate, etc. Screen rotation was on, and everything. It was this way for hours. So after my class just a little bit ago, I searched on Google with my phone about the issue, and I went to a page - an Android Central forum post or something - where someone had this issue and nobody could figure it out. I was sad. As I was about to turn off the phone, I accidentally tilted it a bit, and suddenly it worked! On the page I went to about it being unresolved! I thought it was bizarre. I'm still scared.

Sorry for constantly bringing up my problems, after more research I've narrowed my WiFi problems down even further. Remember when I said my WiFi doesn't work during calls? Well actually it does, but it won't work when I have my bluetooth headset connected. I found out yesterday when charging my headset and someone called me. I tested the WiFi for the hell of it and it worked, I was dumbfounded. But for convenience I unplug my bluetooth and connected it to my phone. I continued trying to use my phone's WiFi only to see that it stopped working again. Pretty much I was able to put 2 and 2 together and realize that this was preventing the WiFi from working. I tested it over and over while on the call and confirmed it.

For reference my bluetooth headset is a LG HBS-700. But with all that said, can any of you guys who have a bluetooth headset test this out yourself to see if you're having issues. If you've been using a bluetooth headset during calls and using WiFi at the same time for a while now, can you just mention it so I can see that it might just be my phone. Again, sorry for constantly bringing this subject up. I'm just making new discoveries and would like to confirm if this has been the case for others with a Galaxy S3 as well.

Argyle

Sorry for constantly bringing up my problems, after more research I've narrowed my WiFi problems down even further. Remember when I said my WiFi doesn't work during calls? Well actually it does, but it won't work when I have my bluetooth headset connected. I found out yesterday when charging my headset and someone called me. I tested the WiFi for the hell of it and it worked, I was dumbfounded. But for convenience I unplug my bluetooth and connected it to my phone. I continued trying to use my phone's WiFi only to see that it stopped working again. Pretty much I was able to put 2 and 2 together and realize that this was preventing the WiFi from working. I tested it over and over while on the call and confirmed it.

For reference my bluetooth headset is a LG HBS-700. But with all that said, can any of you guys who have a bluetooth headset test this out yourself to see if you're having issues. If you've been using a bluetooth headset during calls and using WiFi at the same time for a while now, can you just mention it so I can see that it might just be my phone. Again, sorry for constantly bringing this subject up. I'm just making new discoveries and would like to confirm if this has been the case for others with a Galaxy S3 as well.

Which model (or which carrier, if you are in the US) do you have?

buhdeh

You don't happen to have tethering or bluetooth tethering on do you?

isn't that a carrier specific thing? i know tmobile US can have both on at the same time.

while it's not an issue for GSM, it was an issue for CDMA, but most 4G phones support simultaneous voice and data over 4G on Verizon and Sprint. also, unlike many previous phones, the GS3 supports simultaneous voice and 3G data on Verizon and Sprint.

I thought I was on candid camera yesterday doing an S3 vs. iPhone commercial.

I'm walking up my street, heading to a neighbor's to let their dog out. I walk past the house on the corner that just finished an open house and the realtor is headed to his car. He stops me and asks if I have a cell phone on me. I say that I do. He indicates that he has forgotten the lockbox code for the house and needs to call some central realty office to get the code, but his phone died.

I pull out the S3 and ask him what number.

He says, "Is that an S3?" I said yes. He says "God that is a great looking phone. My iPhone battery is terrible. It died and that's why I was hoping you had a phone on you. I'm definitely thinking of upgrading."

I was looking around to see if we were being filmed or something. Seemed like such a "hey the S3 is waaaaay better than the iPhone" conversation.

Davidion

I'm walking up my street, heading to a neighbor's to let their dog out. I walk past the house on the corner that just finished an open house and the realtor is headed to his car. He stops me and asks if I have a cell phone on me. I say that I do. He indicates that he has forgotten the lockbox code for the house and needs to call some central realty office to get the code, but his phone died.

He says, "Is that an S3?" I said yes. He says "God that is a great looking phone. My iPhone battery is terrible. It died and that's why I was hoping you had a phone on you. I'm definitely thinking of upgrading."

I was looking around to see if we were being filmed or something. Seemed like such a "hey the S3 is waaaaay better than the iPhone" conversation.

I've gotten a lot of questions about the phone being a S3. Popular product will get you inquiries; it's cool. Although, I know what you mean.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
What's happened to me is that people think my S3 is the new iPhone from far away, and when they get closer they see the actual big screen and say nevermind. lol

Nice, he actually knew it was an "S3" and not a "Galaxy".

I have a galaxy nexus and I have gotten 5-10 people ask me "Is that the Galaxy?".

USF

I'm getting strange ads with a star or cross icon in my notification bar .. How can I get rid of that!?

torontoml

My phone appears to operate much quicker and smoother today. It wasn't bad at all before but as soon as as I started going through the home screens it was immediately noticeable. Was there some kind of update to Nova or anything else last night that would do this?

Vek

ICS .. Shows mostly Temple Run Ad. Thing is I don't have that game installed.

I had a similar thing happen with my tablet, and it was due to a free game becoming a pain after an update. The game was Shadowgun and deleting it got rid of the ads, although it only ever advertised dlc for itself. Check which company makes Temple Run and get rid of any games of theirs that you don't play.

goober

This phone worth rooting? Been enjoying this thing stock since July, and now I've been thinking about rooting it.

My provider is AT&T, anything I should know about beforehand? Also will my battery life take a hit? Been getting a constant 35+ hours on my baby.

This phone worth rooting? Been enjoying this thing stock since July, and now I've been thinking about rooting it.

My provider is AT&T, anything I should know about beforehand? Also will my battery life take a hit? Been getting a constant 35+ hours on my baby.

my phones battery life got better after rooting.

Violater

What's the best case for the S3?
deluxe-luxury-hard-back-case-samsung-galaxy-s3-i9300-c04f.jpg

KuGsj.gif

Depends on what is most important to you.

Top Bottom