• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Toki767

So is anyone using one of the latest Cyanogenmod 10 builds and want to give me their opinion on whether it's ready for use as a daily system?

I'm tired of waiting for Samsung to update the phone and will root and either go to the leaked Sprint JB ROM or just go to CM10 to get vanilla functionality. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on CM10 in its current state.

Paranoid Android is running great on my AT&T S3. Only downside is LTE doesn't seem to be enabled, although I am getting 4Gish speeds.

Cipherr

Well that's one more thing I need Vanilla Android to adopt before I move over from TouchWiz. S Beam (direct WiFi file sharing), Smart Stay, Direct Call, Share Shot and Group Cast.

Mmmhmm the WiFi direct transferring is so much better. TouchWiz has done more than a few things before Vanilla Android got around to it. Noone ever gives the manufacturers skins anything but grief though.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Mmmhmm the WiFi direct transferring is so much better. TouchWiz has done more than a few things before Vanilla Android got around to it. Noone ever gives the manufacturers skins anything but grief though.

HTC Sense was doing a lot of the stuff Google introduced in 4.0. I was like "but I can do that already...."

I've heard installing Jelly Bean roms on the Sprint GS3 will block tethering and it also has issues with LTE. Is that right? I think I'll probably wait until after Samsung stops releasing updates to this phone before I'll start using roms.

jobber

I've heard installing Jelly Bean roms on the Sprint GS3 will block tethering and it also has issues with LTE. Is that right? I think I'll probably wait until after Samsung stops releasing updates to this phone before I'll start using roms.

tethering, yes
LTE, no

You can flash any earlier modem with the leak and LTE will work.

I must be the only one who LIKES touchwiz. One of the first things I did after rooting was to install an AOSP rom. I didn't even last a day before I went back. I love the fact that animated gifs animate in the gallery now. IDK if thats an android fix or a Samsung one. There's so many things in touchwiz that I like to get rid of it. And I say this as a person who ran nothing but AOSP roms on my Evo 4G for 2 years.

zedge

I must be the only one who LIKES touchwiz. One of the first things I did after rooting was to install an AOSP rom. I didn't even last a day before I went back. I love the fact that animated gifs animate in the gallery now. IDK if thats an android fix or a Samsung one. There's so many things in touchwiz that I like to get rid of it. And I say this as a person who ran nothing but AOSP roms on my Evo 4G for 2 years.

You're not the only one. Touchwiz adds so many features, many of which stock Android is only starting to get recently. Stock Android is so overrated imo.

Tess3ract

Banned
touchwiz sucks.

I like the fake jellybean rom I got on my USCC thing. I can't go back to touchwiz because it's so plain and boring.

jobber

Thanks for the responses. Is removing the ability to tether a bug in the custom roms or is it something that Google did purposely in 4.1.1?

It's a jellybean TW issue. Tether works for vanilla 4.1.1. The developer just needs to modify his code to work with the updated TW.

You're not the only one. Touchwiz adds so many features, many of which stock Android is only starting to get recently. Stock Android is so overrated imo.

Stock is lacking a lot of tools HTC and Samsung add in. Some might not like skins, but the pros of each skin outweigh stock by a mile. You may want "the google experience" but you miss out on features that separates phone a from phone b. That's the proprietary crap CyanogenMod either can't put in their builds or just not possible with just the vanilla code.

Cipherr

Wait Touchwiz is boring and the stock android interface that offers nothing special isn't?

Well, in the past stock Android had the benefit of being the only one with good performance. Those days are clearly gone now though post 4.0, so I have to agree with you, vanilla Android is losing its importance IMO.

buhdeh

TouchWiz isn't boring, it's ugly as fuck and I refuse to believe that whomever picked out the colors, icons and design in general wasn't intentionally sabotaging any semblance of good design in this nasty ass skin. At least Sense actually looks like it was designed by professionals.

I would take a "boring" UI over TouchWiz any day.

jobber

TouchWiz isn't boring, it's ugly as fuck and I refuse to believe that whomever picked out the colors, icons and design in general wasn't intentionally sabotaging any semblance of good design in this nasty ass skin. At least Sense actually looks like it was designed by professionals.

I would take a "boring" UI over TouchWiz any day.

you can download mods that changes the colors of the icons

buhdeh

you can download mods that changes the colors of the icons

Nah, I'm just gonna wait it out and sell my S3 the second the Nexus gets released. Not like I'll miss sweet ass features like tilt to zoom, pan to move icons, and not being able to reply to event invitations in S Planner because I use Gmail rather than the Email app despite having the Gmail account syncing to S Planner...

And let's not even get into waiting 4 months (possibly more) for a 0.1 version update and already being 3 versions behind my Nexus 7.

Do any of you guys have WiFi problems? I have been plagued with it since day one and it's the only thing ruining my experience with the S3 so far. When I started having the problem, I looked around and found that turning of the power save or something when you dial 0011-something would solve it. After I did that and forget password and put my password back in, everything seem fine again. But later I started having the same issues again. The internet would only work partially. I could get into the Google Play or the Youtube app but I couldn't play or download anything. It's extremely frustrating and the only way to get it to go away(temporarily) is to restart the phone. Even going back and making the phone forget my password and putting it back in doesn't make it work again, only a restart will. But eventually the problem will return even if I restart it.

Does anybody have a solution for me, I would really appreciate it. Coming from a Samsung Captivate, the S3 is a breath of fresh air. But this WiFi problem is something I never had on the Captivate that is plaguing me right now on my S3. Again, any help would be appreciated.

Swag

So is anyone using one of the latest Cyanogenmod 10 builds and want to give me their opinion on whether it's ready for use as a daily system?
I've been using it for about a two weeks now, the only problems I've experienced with it are;

- Wi-Fi tethering doesn't work in the current nightly
- Wi-Fi strength is worse than in the stock JB rom
- Some apps, in my case, weather eye & Expense Manager crash on boot
- Camera options are much more limited then stock Samsung

Those are the only major issues I've experienced so far, your tolerance for them will vary depending on how much you use Wifi / the extra camera options. I'm on a GT 19300 so not sure what the problems you'd face on the US version are.

MooMoo

:D I finally figured out my idle battery drain woes. Seems Facebook was set to auto refresh every 30 minutes. Before, my phone would drain 1-2% an hour during idle. Now, well it's pretty much 1% every 4 hours or so. Hopefully this increase in battery life also translates over to my normal usage during the day. Really happy to see that it wasn't my google stuffs that was causing the abnormal drain.

TheExodu5

Banned
The other problem with Swiftkey is how it reacts to NeoGAF Mobile.

You mean how it positions the cursor at the top of the post after typing a few words? Happens to me in Chrome with Swiftkey, but not in the default browser. Really annoying. =\

Been using the default Samsung keyboard for a day now and holy shit is it bad. I kind of want to go back to SwiftKey despite its major shortcomings. Is there another keyboard that might do the trick?

buhdeh

You mean how it positions the cursor at the top of the post after typing a few words? Happens to me in Chrome with Swiftkey, but not in the default browser. Really annoying. =\

Been using the default Samsung keyboard for a day now and holy shit is it bad. I kind of want to go back to SwiftKey despite its major shortcomings. Is there another keyboard that might do the trick?

Keep voting this up until they do something about it

http://support.swiftkey.net/forums/...170532-incorrect-placement-of-autocorrections

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

i switch to samsungs purely for gaf. it does suck.

3 voted it

reKon

Banned

I'm tired of waiting for Samsung to update the phone and will root and either go to the leaked Sprint JB ROM or just go to CM10 to get vanilla functionality. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on CM10 in its current state.

I'm pretty sure CM10 and a handful of other roms have been ready for daily use about a month ago.

buhdeh

I'm pretty sure CM10 and a handful of other roms have been ready for daily use about a month ago.

Really? I'm reading the thread on XDA and people are still saying there are problems with horrible battery life, loud call volumes, and voice inputs (Google Now, etc.) using the top mic instead of the bottom mic. This is just from the last 3 or so pages. Don't really care about the last problem but the first two sound pretty crappy.

reKon

Banned
Really? I'm reading the thread on XDA and people are still saying there are problems with horrible battery life, loud call volumes, and voice inputs (Google Now, etc.) using the top mic instead of the bottom mic. This is just from the last 3 or so pages. Don't really care about the last problem but the first two sound pretty crappy.

My excuse: I have a Nexus. I forgot this was about the GS III.

Hey guys, I just got the Verizon Galaxy S3 and had a question about the stock dialer app. When dialing by spelling out a person's name through the dialpad buttons, the phone automatically selects a "top" result, from which you can expand using the arrow on the side to look at all matching contact results.

If the person you want to dial is not the "preferred" choice by the phone, you end up having to go through a 4 or so step process to call someone. Is there a way to modify this setting in any way? If not, what dialers would you all recommend (non-rooted phone).

Thanks a lot

nib95

Banned
Hey guys, I just got the Verizon Galaxy S3 and had a question about the stock dialer app. When dialing by spelling out a person's name through the dialpad buttons, the phone automatically selects a "top" result, from which you can expand using the arrow on the side to look at all matching contact results.

If the person you want to dial is not the "preferred" choice by the phone, you end up having to go through a 4 or so step process to call someone. Is there a way to modify this setting in any way? If not, what dialers would you all recommend (non-rooted phone).

Thanks a lot

If you keep calling a certain person matching those numbers, I think they automatically go to the top of the list. Not entirely sure but I think it does this. Alternatively just set up some contacts as favourites and turn on Direct Call. Saves a few button clicks as all you have to do is put the phone to your ear to make the call.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Do any of you guys have WiFi problems? I have been plagued with it since day one and it's the only thing ruining my experience with the S3 so far. When I started having the problem, I looked around and found that turning of the power save or something when you dial 0011-something would solve it. After I did that and forget password and put my password back in, everything seem fine again. But later I started having the same issues again. The internet would only work partially. I could get into the Google Play or the Youtube app but I couldn't play or download anything. It's extremely frustrating and the only way to get it to go away(temporarily) is to restart the phone. Even going back and making the phone forget my password and putting it back in doesn't make it work again, only a restart will. But eventually the problem will return even if I restart it.

Does anybody have a solution for me, I would really appreciate it. Coming from a Samsung Captivate, the S3 is a breath of fresh air. But this WiFi problem is something I never had on the Captivate that is plaguing me right now on my S3. Again, any help would be appreciated.

I had this same problem. my wifi would turn on/ off and it made me go crazy. samsung really doesnt have a fix for it either other than send it in. thats what i did and now i am waiting and hoping they are just giving me a new one.

sounds like some of the early models have this wifi issue.

jobber

Did you know......

for those with TW, if you disable Samsung Push in your apps menu, you battery life is increased? I couldn't make it a couple of hours without a charge on the ICS TW rom and now I can get 33 hours+ on the JB TW rom after disabling Push. It's amazing :eek:

rc213

Did you know......

for those with TW, if you disable Samsung Push in your apps menu, you battery life is increased? I couldn't make it a couple of hours without a charge on the ICS TW rom and now I can get 33 hours+ on the JB TW rom after disabling Push. It's amazing :eek:

What is the Samsung Push Service?

jobber

What is the Samsung Push Service?

Push technology, also referred to as server push, is Internet-based way of communication where the messaging requests are made by the publisher of a website or an application, or central server, rather than the receiver of the messages.

The goal of Samsung Application Push Service (SAP) is to support notification messages and control (or command) messages for applications. The current version of SAP supports only notification messaging. Support for control messaging will be provided in the next version of SAP.

SAP provides the functionality for applications to send messages to TV users immediately when an event occurs. It uses push technology to deliver messages from application servers to Internet-connected devices like HDTV, BD, and the like.

Did you know......

I started noticing something draining my battery recently and I started to suspect that was what was causing it. I actually disabled it the other day and noticed my battery life going back to normal. I had also made some other changes to try and save my battery so I wasn't 100% sure if it was the Push service, but I've been re-enabling everything except that over the last few days and all seems well.

I think there was an update to Samsung Apps that caused this.

this_guy

Thanks a lot

Try Touchpal Dialer - I like it better than the stock Touchwiz dialer. Searching for a name works much better.

I had this same problem. my wifi would turn on/ off and it made me go crazy. samsung really doesnt have a fix for it either other than send it in. thats what i did and now i am waiting and hoping they are just giving me a new one.

sounds like some of the early models have this wifi issue.

I was thinking about either exchanging it this Saturday for a new one(I only got it last Saturday) or sending it in and hoping they can do something. I love the Galaxy S3, I don't want a different phone. But I don't want this problem for the next two years. I'd seriously consider getting a Razr HD or something else if this can't be solved.

I was thinking about either exchanging it this Saturday for a new one(I only got it last Saturday) or sending it in and hoping they can do something. I love the Galaxy S3, I don't want a different phone. But I don't want this problem for the next two years. I'd seriously consider getting a Razr HD or something else if this can't be solved.

I would go ahead and exchange it. I haven't had a single problem with wifi on mine.

McLovin

Had an update this morning. Almost lost my shit when I saw it wasn't jb. I'm never buying an htc phone because those phones bug out begore the first years up. I'm about to stop buying samsung because of all this waiting. Nexus phones get updates right away, right? I think I'm gonna switch brands for my next phone.

Ricky_R

Probably a silly question, but here it goes. Is there a way to remove the metallic finish that's around the GS3? Can it be replaced with a new one or is it a part of the phone that can't be replaced?

maharg

idspispopd
Not rly. Most Galaxy Nexus phones only recently got jb. Dont believe the hype.

You could update any galaxy nexus the day it came out if you'd unlocked the bootloader. Which isn't really difficult and is something you're supposed to be able to do with it.

The OTA update takes a varying amount of time, but you don't have to wait for that.

zedge

You could update any galaxy nexus the day it came out if you'd unlocked the bootloader. Which isn't really difficult and is something you're supposed to be able to do with it.

The OTA update takes a varying amount of time, but you don't have to wait for that.

Well that covers about 2% of users. :/

Same could be said for the S3, there are ROMS out there already. Means very little to most. People who flash custom ROMS ect are extremely niche in the grander scale.

jobber

when it came down to picking between the S3 and NG, it came down to internal specs. The S3 had better specs and it could easily still be one of the best phones out a year from now while the NG is limited by it's internal storage and processor. It's a lesson learned from HTC who puts out phones built to be the best during the launch window. After 3 months, they stop giving a fuck.

Top Bottom