• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

VanWinkle

62mb ain't nothing, friend!

Seems to be essentially nothing.

galaxy-s3-update-650x647.png

Now, what on earth is Enhanced Zooming Feature?

Must have been a placebo. I don't see how having root access would improve your battery life.

I'm not informed enough on the specifics (I'm new to most of this root/ROM/kernel stuff) but i noticed, using BetterBatteryStats, that my phone entered Deep Sleep every time the screen was off after flashing AOKP. Granted I only used stock TouchWiz/ICS for a week but I drained battery way faster in that week than after flashing AOKP.

also I lowered the maximum CPU output to 1134 MHz, which i believe can lead to longer battery life.

I'm not informed enough on the specifics (I'm new to most of this root/ROM/kernel stuff) but i noticed, using BetterBatteryStats, that my phone entered Deep Sleep every time the screen was off after flashing AOKP. Granted I only used stock TouchWiz/ICS for a week but I drained battery way faster in that week than after flashing AOKP.

also I lowered the maximum CPU output to 1134 MHz, which i believe can lead to longer battery life.

On top of that you can use SetCPU to make sure your CPU doesn't go over the lowest possible setting whenever the screen is off. That saves more battery than underclocking ever will, especially when the phone spends 3 hours a day at the lowest clock speed.

On top of that you can use SetCPU to make sure your CPU doesn't go over the lowest possible setting whenever the screen is off. That saves more battery than underclocking ever will, especially when the phone spends 3 hours a day at the lowest clock speed.

after you wrote this my interest in SetCPU was piqued, then I saw it was $1.99

is it worth the price of purchase? I'd be interested if it noticeably improved battery life.

after you wrote this my interest in SetCPU was piqued, then I saw it was $1.99

is it worth the price of purchase? I'd be interested if it noticeably improved battery life.

I've noticed a huge improvement in standby times mostly. Whenever the screen is off the CPU is locked to 384 MHz. You can also set it so that it underclocks your CPU when you reach certain battery levels and such. I think you can find a free version from the Developer that he put on XDA.

Smokey

Few questions. After making my Iphone5 thread last week, it kept nagging me and I switched my order to S3.

What's the best security app? Seems to be high remarks for avast! Mobile Security. Only thing is when I was installing it said I had to enable permissions on the phone to let apps install that were not from the Google Play store (even though that's where I got it from)? Thought that was weird so I didn't go forward with it. Is that normal?

Oh if you flashed AOKP then yeah that's totally understandable that you got better battery. AOKP is totally different than stock TouchWiz. I thought you just rooted which would 100% not do anything to your battery.

My Galaxy S3 just died :(. I've had it for about 4 months. Going to call up Verizon to see what they can do. First time a phone has just up and died on me.

Cipherr

Few questions. After making my Iphone5 thread last week, it kept nagging me and I switched my order to S3.

What's the best security app? Seems to be high remarks for avast! Mobile Security. Only thing is when I was installing it said I had to enable permissions on the phone to let apps install that were not from the Google Play store (even though that's where I got it from)? Thought that was weird so I didn't go forward with it. Is that normal?

I have never used a security program, but that sounds weird. Ironically, the best way to rid yourself of malware and whatnot is to never enable installing apps from outside the playstore. Heh.

Angst

I'm using Seekdroid, but apparently GAF's recommendation is Cerberus or Lookout.

I've noticed a huge improvement in standby times mostly. Whenever the screen is off the CPU is locked to 384 MHz. You can also set it so that it underclocks your CPU when you reach certain battery levels and such. I think you can find a free version from the Developer that he put on XDA.

yep, it's free on XDA, but if you enjoy it and want to support the dev, you can buy it.

I'm using Seekdroid, but apparently GAF's recommendation is Cerberus or Lookout.

Seekdroid is more of a find/wipe my phone app, those other apps have other security options.

i use Seekdroid, it does exactly what i want.

Thanks for the help guys. What it seems to have been was a faulty adapter. Which I thought was weird because it read 100% charge after I removed it. 15mins later, nothing. I called support, they said hook it up to my PC and that worked and it started charging, at 99%. Weird, but I'm just glad it's working again. Verizon is sending me a replacement adapter.

If Verizon gives you the cold shoulder, talk to Samsung - they'll probably be able to help you out.

have you tried holding home and power for ~20 seconds? This performs a soft reset

I didn't hold it for that long but I'll remember that.

Kyoufu

Thanks for the help guys. What it seems to have been was a faulty adapter. Which I thought was weird because it read 100% charge after I removed it. 15mins later, nothing. I called support, they said hook it up to my PC and that worked and it started charging, at 99%. Weird, but I'm just glad it's working again. Verizon is sending me a replacement adapter.

I didn't hold it for that long but I'll remember that.

Yeah, of all the issues with the phone, the adapter is the most common one.

Angst

Seekdroid is more of a find/wipe my phone app, those other apps have other security options.

i use Seekdroid, it does exactly what i want.

Same here, that's what I want in a security app. Although Cerberus seem to have pretty much the same functionality, whereas lookout, avast and the others have anti-virus etc in addition to "Find my phone" functionality.

nib95

Banned
S3 on JB is going to be a pocket rocket! It's already quicker on most tasks by a tiny fraction compared to my dads Note II, except in actual general UI speed or smoothness. It's a hairs length less buttery in that respect. JB should level that whilst making everything else even faster.

On a side note, make sure you guys set your transition/animation scale to 0.5x instead of the default 1.0x in Developer options. Really speeds things up and makes them extra snappy. JB with these settings on 0.5x is perfect.

nib95

Banned
Swedish JB official available, flash through Odin. There should be no difference between this one and the official release for your country*

GT-I9300 only though.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

*don't blame me if you brick your phone...

Waiting for the UK release. That way I don't have to change my CSC or anything. Wonder if there's any country specific network benefits as well? Probably not but who knows.

Angst

Waiting for the UK release. That way I don't have to change my CSC or anything. Wonder if there's any country specific network benefits as well? Probably not but who knows.

CSC as in APN settings? I'm not 100 % on this, but usually WW APN settings are already in the ROM. You have more patience than me at least... :)

McLovin

I hate that they run ads and make the phone out to be the latest and greatest, when its actually an out dated phone. Android phones have a short window before they are considered old, and this effect is amplified when your os is outdated. I already got my s3 but if I was looking to get a new android I would only be looking at phones that had jelly bean installed.

mantidor

Avast only asks you for that if you want to install the anti theft feature, so disable that option from the installation if you don't want to allow external apps.

buhdeh

Hahahaha. Nexus 4 + Android 4.2 will be out before Jelly Bean even hits the S3. Only way people will learn to just buy Nexus.

Anyways, will sell my S3 for Nexus 4 ASAP.

Smokey

Avast only asks you for that if you want to install the anti theft feature, so disable that option from the installation if you don't want to allow external apps.

Ok thanks. I will look into it again.

Browsing GAF is so much easier with this phone. Some of you have had this phone for a while, but to me it is such an improvement over the evo 4g. I'm sire I'll be itching to get to jelly bean after I get used to this but for now I'm good!

Using a CM10 based custom ROM, I have the trebuchet launcher. Will multivew (Or whatever the Note 2 feature is called) be able to come to my custom ROM or is it a Touchwiz feature?

I'm not sure if anyone here knows.

this_guy

I have Lookout on my phone, but I turn off the security feature and only use the Find my phone feature. If you're not pirating apps from sources outside of the Google Play Market you should be fine.

VanWinkle

Man, I hate carriers. Verizon will probably be the last to put it up, too. Just seems like a Verizon thing to do :(

However, the press release does get me excited for the update. I left out the stock Jelly Bean features because we already know what those are.

Samsung refined and enhanced the Galaxy S III experience by adding new capabilities to the camera, video and user interface, including:

· Camera Enhancements:
o New live camera and camcorder filters offer a range of new ways to spark your creativity.Warm vintage, cold vintage, black and white, sepia, color highlights (blue, green, red/yellow), and many more are selectable from the main camera screen.

o Pause and resume while recording video allows users to string together multiple captured video clips from a party, birthday or sporting event into a single file with no post editing required.

o Low light photo mode takes advantage of Galaxy S III’s best-in-class High Dynamic Range (HDR) capabilities and offers an optimized mode for low light and indoor photos.

· Pop Up Play Update: Users can now easily resize or pause the Pop Up Play picture-in-picture video window, taking full advantage of the Galaxy S III’s powerful processor and large 4.8-inch screen.

· Easy Mode: Easy Mode is a simplified user experience option for first-time smartphone owners, providing large home screen widgets that focus on the device essentials. The Easy widgets include both 4x2 and 4x4 arrangements of favorite contacts, favorite apps, favorite settings, clock and alarm.

· Blocking Mode: Galaxy S III owners can disable incoming calls, notifications, alarms and LED indicators for a designated period of time.

· Improved Usability: Users now have multiple keyboard options with the addition of the Swype® keyboard.

In addition to the operating system update, Samsung and ESPN worked together to integrate AllShare® technology into ESPN’s popular ScoreCenter® application. This means Galaxy S III owners will now be able to wirelessly push on-demand ESPN global sports coverage and highlights from the ESPN ScoreCenter app to their Samsung SMART TV™. When on the same Wi-Fi network as a Samsung SMART TV, a sharing icon will appear within the ScoreCenter video player which allows users to seamlessly push what they are watching to the TV. The ScoreCenter app with AllShare integration is available today for download through S Suggest™ on all U.S. Galaxy S III devices.

With the Jelly Bean update, the Galaxy S III will also add support for some exciting new accessory experiences.

· AllShare® Cast Wireless Hub: The AllShare Cast Wireless Hub accessory allows users to wirelessly mirror their phone screen to any HDTV or HDMI® display. Whether it’s sharing pictures, browsing the Web, playing games, streaming music, watching videos or projecting business presentations, users can control the action on the big screen wirelessly from their smartphone. AllShare Cast Wireless Hub even supports licensed content playback of premium TV and movies.

· NFC One Touch Pairing Support: Galaxy S III can now pair with supporting NFC Bluetooth® accessories in a single touch. The Samsung Galaxy HM3300 Bluetooth headset will be the first Samsung portfolio accessory to support this functionality (available in the near future), allowing users to pair their headset by touching it to the back of their device.

Some nice Touchwiz features in there. I especially like being able to pause and resume video recordings. Will be so nice for me to not have to go into a video editor to string together clips. I'm also curious as to how well the low light mode will work, since we already have a Night Mode, which is not great.

mernst23

The digitizer on my G2/HTC Desire Z appears to be dying (2 years after I bought it). Should I do a contract reupgrade deal at walmart and get the gs3 for $200 or try to fix the g2 and wait for the note 2 to come down to $200-250ish around xmas time?

zedge

Hahahaha. Nexus 4 + Android 4.2 will be out before Jelly Bean even hits the S3. Only way people will learn to just buy Nexus.

Nah. 99% of S3 users have no idea what jelly bean is nor do they care. Big deal about nothing. For us tech geeks in the know it kinda sucks. But I would not blame Samsung. It's the US carriers at fault here. We may get the updates sooner in Canada which is good.

rc213

Is this legit?

A few people on the XDA forums received theirs, Look nice. I received a tracking # 4hrs after I paid. Will post back once I receive them.

New update for the T-Mobile Galaxy SIII (Not Jellybean =/)
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4446
Current Version - Android version 4.0.4/Software version T999UVLJ4
Version:
Android version 4.0.4/Software version T999UVLJ4
Approved 10/17/2012
Improvements:
Resolved Media Hub playback issues
Pinch & Zoom backend changes – No visible user changes

Also Samsung put this page up a couple weeks back.

http://m.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00050212&fm_seq=55187

Sprint update should be coming soon. Over on XDA they are posting the version rdf files from Sprint's server and they've had a couple of small updates the last couple of days so they are getting close I think. Also the guy that leaked the previous version of the Sprint rom over there started posting again today saying something is coming soon.

Sprint update should be coming soon. Over on XDA they are posting the version rdf files from Sprint's server and they've had a couple of small updates the last couple of days so they are getting close I think. Also the guy that leaked the previous version of the Sprint rom over there started posting again today saying something is coming soon.

Soon soon or Samsung Soon.

Soon soon or Samsung Soon.

I'm predicting within a week there will be a leak of the official rom or it will be available ota. They went from LJ6 to LJ7 since yesterday. So entirely possibly this last update today is just to clear up 1 or 2 more bugs and that's it.

so I gave it a test run but I noticed that it was causing a kernel wake lock named power manager service or something, so I un installed it for the time being.
is there a way around this?

JeTmAn81

Just got my Verizon Galaxy S III! I'm really glad to have a new phone since my Droid X's screen got so messed up. The display is really nice, though I'm surprised at how warm the phone feels. This must be a consequence of the phone being much thinner and your hand being so much closer to the power source. I really hope it doesn't prove consistently distracting. Also appreciating some UI changes, not sure how many of them are to specific to this phone and how many just come along with Ice Cream Sandwich, which I haven't used before. Anyone know how to add a wifi toggle to the one available on the pull-down status bar?

So I know someone who got the S3 recently and it's almost my first real experience with a smartphone. I've understood everything and know how to teach it back, but one thing I don't understand about multitasking in general is what does pushing the middle button do? Does it hide or close the current screen/application?

Also, data usage can be an issue. It says the OS has used 88MB in background processes. What does that mean and does that blow through the data cap?

Top Bottom