• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

maharg

idspispopd
Well that covers about 2% of users. :/

Same could be said for the S3, there are ROMS out there already. Means very little to most. People who flash custom ROMS ect are extremely niche in the grander scale.

There's a big difference here that you're just glossing over:

The Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean ROM that came out right away was the official ROM from Google that was the same as you'd get whenever you'd have gotten the OTA. The OTA delay is just a matter of them, for some reason, opening the tap on them very slowly. You can get that ROM direct from Google trivially and know what you're getting.

The GSIII ROMs are beta leaks and custom hackjobs. They do not necessarily represent what you'll get OTA when it comes out. They take work and you aren't getting them right from either Google or Samsung.

I think it's really fair to say that anyone who's on this forum is perfectly capable of updating a Nexus phone to the OFFICIAL release before the OTA comes out if they really want to. It's on the order of the same amount of work as upgrading between major OS versions on a desktop. If not less.

demonkaze

So i've come into a bit of a situation. Like an idiot I lost my iPhone 5 while on holiday and I have no insurance (I know i'm a complete idiot here, very hard lesson learnt) and now I'm left with no phone. I'm willing to pay out the money for a new one but the situation in the u.k means I can't simply pick one up in store or online for any near time and I need a phone now.

Here where the S3 comes into play, I've always liked the phone and considered getting it however my main worry is that all my contacts are on my iphone backup on itunes and thats the only thing I really require from my phone. So the question i'm asking is if theres any possible way to transfer that to an S3 or not.

Angst

So i've come into a bit of a situation. Like an idiot I lost my iPhone 5 while on holiday and I have no insurance (I know i'm a complete idiot here, very hard lesson learnt) and now I'm left with no phone. I'm willing to pay out the money for a new one but the situation in the u.k means I can't simply pick one up in store or online for any near time and I need a phone now.

Here where the S3 comes into play, I've always liked the phone and considered getting it however my main worry is that all my contacts are on my iphone backup on itunes and thats the only thing I really require from my phone. So the question i'm asking is if theres any possible way to transfer that to an S3 or not.

You should be able to export your contacts from itunes as a .csv file. You can then import that file in Gmail on your desktop PC. When you log into the S3 using your google account all contacts will be there.

Edit: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138744 apparently it's even easier.

Bottom line: once you have your contacts in gmail you'll never have to worry about them again.

demonkaze

That's good to hear, might make the jump to android then. I don't know much about android phones coming from iOS so is the S3 a good one to jump for right now considering I need a new phone today really however I've just started a 24 month contract.

On second look at that, it assumes that I still have my phone to connect to itunes to get my contacts. I don't have my iphone anymore so is it possible to still get that file from an iphone backup i done?

Is anyone else using the stock time and weather widget? Mine stopped self-updating the weather and temperature a few days ago. Even if I try to force it to refresh nothing happens. Anyone else having this problem? I'm not sure if it's an issue with the app or if it's on my end.

Swag

Is there any way to get rid of the notification that gives the option to choose Input method when the keyboard is open? I know you can do it on Stock Android, but I can't find the option in Touchwiz

Angst

Is anyone else using the stock time and weather widget? Mine stopped self-updating the weather and temperature a few days ago. Even if I try to force it to refresh nothing happens. Anyone else having this problem? I'm not sure if it's an issue with the app or if it's on my end.

Try manage apps - find the weather app and clear data & cache.

demonkaze

Another question I have about the S3 is that I'm considering buying one from ebay and I see a lot of model names next to the name of the phone, anything I should know about with regards to the models or am I better off buying one in store?

Angst

Another question I have about the S3 is that I'm considering buying one from ebay and I see a lot of model names next to the name of the phone, anything I should know about with regards to the models or am I better off buying one in store?

GT i9300 is the international one.

marrec

Banned
GT i9300 is the international one.

The difference between the i9300 and the 999s are substantial, but also inconsequential for most applications.

The i9300 has a quad core processor and 1 gig of ram.

The 999s have a dual core processor and 2 gigs of ram.

Personally, the 2 gigs of ram really make a huge difference.

Angst

The difference between the i9300 and the 999s are substantial, but also inconsequential for most applications.

The i9300 has a quad core processor and 1 gig of ram.

The 999s have a dual core processor and 2 gigs of ram.

Personally, the 2 gigs of ram really make a huge difference.

999 is available in Europe? o_0

buhdeh

That's good to hear, might make the jump to android then. I don't know much about android phones coming from iOS so is the S3 a good one to jump for right now considering I need a new phone today really however I've just started a 24 month contract.

On second look at that, it assumes that I still have my phone to connect to itunes to get my contacts. I don't have my iphone anymore so is it possible to still get that file from an iphone backup i done?

If you enabled iCloud you should be able to export from iCloud.com. This is why you should never keep your info on a proprietary service lol. Storing on Google is great because it's platform agnostic so you can pretty much import your contacts on anything.

BiggNife

Hey guys, I tweeted Swiftkey the support page that buhdeh posted for the Chrome autocorrect bug which led to a Swiftkey support agent responding almost immediately afterwards:

http://support.swiftkey.net/forums/...170532-incorrect-placement-of-autocorrections

If you're one of the people super annoyed by this bug like I am, respond to her questions in the comments so that they can hopefully debug this ASAP.

Just bought mine. Do you all need to charge it up once a day?
Pretty much, yeah. That's par for the course when it comes to smartphones. A lot of phones barely last half a day with regular use, but thankfully the S3 is usually able to last a whole day unless I'm using it nonstop.

M_A_C

Anybody know of a good place (cheap) to buy these off contract, but still be a reputable place to take it back or whatever if need be?

Thinking of buying the Japanese version as I just moved here. Anything I need to be warned about? I might want to use it in the UK should I move back in a year or so, I guess things like NFC will be different but wouldn't lose any major functionality over buying the UK version?

I bought SetCPU yesterday and I made it so it sets my phone's clock speed at the lowest possible when the screen is off. I am saving so much battery that it is absolutely insane. Standby time has probably tripled atleast.

Cipherr

Got damn: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/1...-your-galaxy-s3-is-better-than-the-new-iphone

The guy in the video says that he's going to do one for the iPhone 5, but there's no way he's going to be able to do 50 reasons.

Only about half of those were really legit. And he left out huge stuff like unimaginable better notifications. Notifications on iOS compared to Jellybean is absolutely hilarious.

Edit: iOS still doesn't have auto installing apps from the Appstore yet!?

I wonder if with the Galaxy S IV/Galaxy Note III they will finally become one device. 4.5" mega phone? Each Galaxy gets bigger and there's no way the Galaxy Note can get any bigger without threatening the inevitable Note 7.7".

Can't believe I'm saying this but I may be returning my GS3. I've been wanting this phone since it first came out in June and have been waiting in anticipation since my contract was ending in October. I got it and I really like it, but the WiFi issue is killing me. The first one I got was constantly cutting off and I tried every trick in the book but nothing works. I would go back and check my Samsung Captivate and it would work flawlessly while my S3 stayed off line unless I turn off WiFi and turn on the data.

I did some research and found out this problem is wide spread and there seems to be no solution to it right now. Either your phone works or it doesn't it seems. The only way I can get it working again is to restart the phone, but it's only a temporary fix as the problem will come back. I went to Verizon earlier and switched it for another one. At first everything seem fine, but after a little while the same problem came back to bite me in the ass.

I'm frustrated and I think I'm done with this phone. I know the Razr HD is coming out this Thursday and I think I'll just go with that. I know it's probably not quite as good as the GS3 despite coming out 4 months later. But I just want a high end/semi-high end smart phone with a big screen that works. I just signed a new contract with Verizon and my only two choices are the GS3 and upcoming Razr's so I don't have much to choose from so a Razr HD it might be.

Cipherr

Can't believe I'm saying this but I may be returning my GS3. I've been wanting this phone since it first came out in June and have been waiting in anticipation since my contract was ending in October. I got it and I really like it, but the WiFi issue is killing me. The first one I got was constantly cutting off and I tried every trick in the book but nothing works. I would go back and check my Samsung Captivate and it would work flawlessly while my S3 stayed off line unless I turn off WiFi and turn on the data.

I did some research and found out this problem is wide spread and there seems to be no solution to it right now. Either your phone works or it doesn't it seems. The only way I can get it working again is to restart the phone, but it's only a temporary fix as the problem will come back. I went to Verizon earlier and switched it for another one. At first everything seem fine, but after a little while the same problem came back to bite me in the ass.

I'm frustrated and I think I'm done with this phone. I know the Razr HD is coming out this Thursday and I think I'll just go with that. I know it's probably not quite as good as the GS3 despite coming out 4 months later. But I just want a high end/semi-high end smart phone with a big screen that works. I just signed a new contract with Verizon and my only two choices are the GS3 and upcoming Razr's so I don't have much to choose from so a Razr HD it might be.

Cant blame you if your unit, and your replacement were both defective. WiFi not working is flat out not an option with the way carriers charge for mobile data these days. To hell with that. Its either get a second replacement or swap to a different phone.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Sucks Rice Eater. My Wi-Fi works flawlessly. I hope you have better luck with your new phone.

I <3 this phone.

nib95

Banned
Made this post at the Note II thread, thought some people might be interested.

nib95 said:
Well, decided to keep my S3 and not swap it for the Note II. It dawned on me that I'm not really likely to use the stylus all that much, and as much as I love the split screen multitasking, not sure for me personally it's worth it for the size and more importantly, weight trade off. But if you're not as fussed about weight/size, nor shallow like me, you might much prefer it.

After comparing extensively with my S3 and the iPhone 5, it dawned on me that mobile tech is sort of at a point of near parity. A big hoo ha is made about otherwise small things, like pentile, whites, blacks and all the rest, but when it comes down to it there's little separating them. Ok, so the Note II's screen is a bit better than the S3's, but I don't think you'd really notice the difference unless you were really seeking it out or pixel peeping. I actually think many consumers will prefer the S3's, purely because it's a bit more punchy and has ever so slightly more obtuse shadow detailing. Even the whites thing is blown way out of proportion.

I also found that when comparing web pages etc, my eye sight is still good enough that I can make out the same tiny texts on both the S3 and Note II, so the extra screen size didn't magically make illegible text legible, no matter how small the text, it just made it a bit more comfortable to read, or allow me to view pages at a further distance from my face. End of the day, they're both still 720p.

Aside from that, the S3 is still marginally more snappy in certain things. Not with the UI thanks to JB, but certain apps. Even web browsing at times by a hairs fraction (with flash support, which imo still comes in handy), and my S3 is not even on the Jelly Bean update yet.

JB on the Note II with general UI use though, with transition, window and animator scale set to 0.5x in developer options, is among the smoothest and quickest OS I've used.

Also, the camera seems the same as the S3's, though I did a low light test with the iPhone 5, and honestly, I felt the S3 and Note II came out on top every time. I don't know if it was the scenario or what, but whilst the iPhone 5's shots were ever so slightly brighter, they were much noisier and less detailed than the Samsung counterparts, so I'm not sure what's up.

Anyway, thinking of filming an extensive comparison video between the S3, Note II and iPhone 5 on my DSLR, but figure I'll wait till the official UK S3 JB update is out. If I can be bothered lol.

EDIT: One thing to add, the Note II's loud speaker blows away the S3 and iPhone 5's. It's louder and bassier. In-fact, I was quite surprised at how well it did hip hop. If you use Navigation a lot, you may want to consider the Note II over anything else because that huge screen coupled with that very loud and clear (by mobile standards) loud speaker should be ideal.

My brother in law mentioned he read the S3 would be getting split screen multitasking yesterday, but I can't find any links, so I'm optimistic but dubious.

Cipherr

Best Buy has the GS3 for $99.99 today only.

GAF, should I jump on this or wait it out for the future?

Can you toss us some info about what you want and need out of a smartphone? My first instinct is to say to grab it ASAP because its a fantastic phone and thats a great deal, but there is a Note coming out if you are more of a Stylus person. Just a few details could help us help you a little easier.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So who thinks that there will be a Galaxy S 4 by around April or so.

April is when I'm up for a new phone. However, my birthday is coming up in November and my wife keeps asking me what I want. I can't think of anything else I want or need other than a new phone.

What should I do GAF wait until April or tell her to buy me the GS3 now?

Cipherr

April is when I'm up for a new phone. However, my birthday is coming up in November and my wife keeps asking me what I want. I can't think of anything else I want or need other than a new phone.

I think it will probably lean more towards May or June like this years S3 did. But we should have leaks around April though.

if you're not in a big hurry, wait for GS4. you can get something else that's awesome for your birthday.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
if you're not in a big hurry, wait for GS4. you can get something else that's awesome for your birthday.

Yea, I think this is the best option. I'm still waiting for Moto to come out with a really great phone by April. I really enjoy the build quality that Moto puts in their devices.

I will just wait until next spring and hopefully I'll have a ton of great phones to choose from.

demonkaze

Ok so this might be a stupid question but I can't find anywhere to activate 3G on my S3 anywhere. I'm using a UK S3 on O2 if that helps any, i'm also not sure if it's been activated yet because my data plan needs to remove iphone data plan to normal "smartphone" data plan, anywhere I can check if this has been activated?

Ok guys, I finally figured out the source of my WiFi issues with my GS3. The WiFi doesn't work during calls. I've tested this out extensively. I would get on the phone with someone, test the internet and it won't work. Then when I turn off wifi and use the data it would work. When I hang up with whoever I'm on the phone with and use the wifi, it works. As soon as I call back the wifi stops working. This is the 2nd GS3 I'm on, and I believe this was the exact issue with my last one.

This is a very big deal for me as I am on the phone a lot. Have any of you guys experience this issue? I just spent over half an hour with a Verizon tech guy. I did a factory reset and at first everything was working. But it didn't take long for the problems to came back after spending about 10 minutes on the phone with my girl. I think I truly am done with the GS3. Really I want to keep it, but this is a deal breaker for me. I'll probably be getting a Razr HD this Thursday. What I want to know is if I'll still have to pay a restocking fee even if I can prove that the phone is defective?

nib95

Banned
Ok so this might be a stupid question but I can't find anywhere to activate 3G on my S3 anywhere. I'm using a UK S3 on O2 if that helps any, i'm also not sure if it's been activated yet because my data plan needs to remove iphone data plan to normal "smartphone" data plan, anywhere I can check if this has been activated?

Make sure packet data is ticked in the network settings. I can't remember if it actually says 3G when you have it. I think instead you have a H+ sign instead of H.

On a side note, O2's had network issues for the last few days, so it could be related.

Ok guys, I finally figured out the source of my WiFi issues with my GS3. The WiFi doesn't work during calls. I've tested this out extensively. I would get on the phone with someone, test the internet and it won't work. Then when I turn off wifi and use the data it would work. When I hang up with whoever I'm on the phone with and use the wifi, it works. As soon as I call back the wifi stops working. This is the 2nd GS3 I'm on, and I believe this was the exact issue with my last one.

This is a very big deal for me as I am on the phone a lot. Have any of you guys experience this issue? I just spent over half an hour with a Verizon tech guy. I did a factory reset and at first everything was working. But it didn't take long for the problems to came back after spending about 10 minutes on the phone with my girl. I think I truly am done with the GS3. Really I want to keep it, but this is a deal breaker for me. I'll probably be getting a Razr HD this Thursday. What I want to know is if I'll still have to pay a restocking fee even if I can prove that the phone is defective?

Not sure, but I know I use WiFi whilst on a call routinely with my S3. Sending files via Whatsapp, web browsing etc. So it's not something I experience with my own S3 (UK Vodafone, with official UK unbranded rom).

Top Bottom