• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

EGM92

Well I love my SGS3 but I've hit a hardware/software bug that seems has no fix other than to send it in to Samsung. I've flashed every rom/kernel combo, I've gone into menus, service modes etc. Nothing seems to fix the connect/disconnect wifi problem. For those that don't know what I'm talking about take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FBo3NFdcMhs#

Have any of you had to deal with samsung in the past? I called them up they told me it could take 21 business days to "fix" my phone and that I should include proof of purchase. I no longer have the invoice and can't get a reprint since the shop I got it from has gone out of business. Have any of you ever sent something in without PoP? If I had unlimited data this wouldn't be a problem but since I'm in Canada, wifi is a must to be working 100%

Angst

Well I love my SGS3 but I've hit a hardware/software bug that seems has no fix other than to send it in to Samsung. I've flashed every rom/kernel combo, I've gone into menus, service modes etc. Nothing seems to fix the connect/disconnect wifi problem. For those that don't know what I'm talking about take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FBo3NFdcMhs#

Have any of you had to deal with samsung in the past? I called them up they told me it could take 21 business days to "fix" my phone and that I should include proof of purchase. I no longer have the invoice and can't get a reprint since the shop I got it from has gone out of business. Have any of you ever sent something in without PoP? If I had unlimited data this wouldn't be a problem but since I'm in Canada, wifi is a must to be working 100%

Have you tried messing around with your router? Do you have the same issues when connecting to other routers?

You can try changing channels and/or encryption method on your router and see if that helps. Start with channels and if that doesn't resolve it, switch to open (just for testing purposes).

In my experience issues like yours are related to the router, not the connecting device.

EGM92

Have you tried messing around with your router? Do you have the same issues when connecting to other routers?

You can try changing channels and/or encryption method on your router and see if that helps. Start with channels and if that doesn't resolve it, switch to open (just for testing purposes).

In my experience issues like yours are related to the router, not the connecting device.

it's not my router, and it's not the 10+ other networks that I've been connected to for the past 2 months.

Angst

it's not my router, and it's not the 10+ other networks that I've been connected to for the past 2 months.

ok, then you've done the troubleshooting part already. Guess you'll have to return it to Samsung. As for proof of purchase - if you bought it using a Visa or Mastercard you can dig through your account and find the transaction there. It's usually not good enough as you could have bought anything at the store, but it might help you.

Edit: I presume you've already googled this, but have you tried what this guy says: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/07/11/how-to-fix-samsung-galaxy-siii-wi-fi-connection-problems/ ?

kaskade

I think I'm going to root my device and put Cm10 on it. Any Good guides you guys used? From the quick research i did it doesn't seem too hard to do. I guess I loose out on the Samsung apps then too.

VanWinkle

I got that "free" (still had to pay S&H) ZooGue case and it's fantastic. I'm not a case guy, but I like the way it looks and feels enough to actually keep it on, which I hardly ever do with my gadgets.

nitric0

Cell standby destroyed my battery overnight. What in the world am I seeing this right
ZEt2H.png

goober

So my phone got wet and now my phone's screen doesn't respond to touch. Fuck.

When I first saw it was wet, it would respond to my swiping to unlock the screen. But it said no SIM so I turned it off and dried it.

Then put it in rice.
Then the screen started flickering.

The screen stopped flickering after a couple of hours in rice, but the screen won't respond to anything. The hard button works though.

Don't know what else to do, any ideas?

rc213

Cell standby destroyed my battery overnight. What in the world am I seeing this right

BetterBatteryStats and follow the steps to see what is keeping your phone from going into deep sleep. Standby display percentage is a bug.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

So my phone got wet and now my phone's screen doesn't respond to touch. Fuck.

When I first saw it was wet, it would respond to my swiping to unlock the screen. But it said no SIM so I turned it off and dried it.

Then put it in rice.
Then the screen started flickering.

The screen stopped flickering after a couple of hours in rice, but the screen won't respond to anything. The hard button works though.

Don't know what else to do, any ideas?

You were supposed to remove the battery and leave it in rice for a couple days minimum.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I should be going to finally pick one of these up in about an hour.

Anything I need to know?
I feel like I've researched this phone to death. Going to be on Sprint.

goober

BetterBatteryStats and follow the steps to see what is keeping your phone from going into deep sleep. Standby display percentage is a bug.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

You were supposed to remove the battery and leave it in rice for a couple days minimum.

Think it can still be salvaged?

It was a gift from my sister and she didn't get insurance :(
I can take it to a repair shop, or use one of my parents' upgrades and pay for the phone myself.

Just looking for the cheapest route.

DietRob

Welp I got the gs3. Posting from it now. Ive got a lot to learn about this phone. But its a very slick device. Beautiful phone in white.

I got a ringke slimlite, but I am thinking I want one if thise cases with card slots so I can ditch my wallet. Anyone have suggestions for a case like that for an s3?

Edit: Just adding I am left handed and prefer one that supported that.

Dumb question: does having the GPS function on drain battery life faster, even if I'm not running apps that require my location? I just want it on so the weather widget can update my city and weather every hour. If the GPS is on, it isn't necessarily being activated all the time, correct? Only when certain apps require my location?

I figure the phone accessing my location once an hour shouldn't put too much of a strain on my battery.

Dumb question: does having the GPS function on drain battery life faster, even if I'm not running apps that require my location? I just want it on so the weather widget can update my city and weather every hour. If the GPS is on, it isn't necessarily being activated all the time, correct? Only when certain apps require my location?

I figure the phone accessing my location once an hour shouldn't put too much of a strain on my battery.

when it's active, you see that little GPS (crosshair looking) icon in the status bar.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Changed the stock keyboard in favor of swift key and omg it's so fucking amazing. I just can't go back to swype.

Argyle

Changed the stock keyboard in favor of swift key and omg it's so fucking amazing. I just can't go back to swype.

I'm the opposite, can't stand Swift Key. Not really a fan of predictive keyboards since I am a fairly proficient typist. Swype feels better to me since I am still hitting all the letters in the word.

Main problem I have with Swype is when I start typing too fast and don't lift my finger up in time before I start a new word :p

So I keep getting a message on my phone telling me there is an update and that I should go to verizonwireless.com/galaxys3support.

Which makes no sense because every time I go into settings, I am told the system is up to date. Does this phone have auto-update that I don't know about?

DietRob

Is there a backup program I can use to back up the current stock image for the GS3, without first obtaining root access?

I've tried the ol trusty Titanium Backup but it needs root access to work.

Basically I would like to backup the current factory state so I can put it back if/when I have issues with my phone and have to go to a service center, since they will not support with Custom Rom.

A.Romero

Is there a backup program I can use to back up the current stock image for the GS3, without first obtaining root access?

I've tried the ol trusty Titanium Backup but it needs root access to work.

Basically I would like to backup the current factory state so I can put it back if/when I have issues with my phone and have to go to a service center, since they will not support with Custom Rom.

I don't think so

Shiggy

Still no Jelly Bean update for my German S3... really annoying when everyone around me received it already -.-

Does Jelly Bean actually solve the copy&paste bug?

Does anyone else have issues with the Scorecenter app? It'll send me notifications for some scored runs but not others. And yes, I've checked the settings, and it should be sending me notifications for scored runs and at the end of every three innings. My brother doesn't have these problems on his iPhone, but I honestly don't know if that's coincidence or not.

Anyone else have problems? It's really annoying being notified only some of the time.

Shiggy

So I finally got Jelly Bean. Did they seriously not fix the copy&paste bug? While programs no longer crash when copying, there's no way for me to paste text.

saunderez

So I finally got Jelly Bean. Did they seriously not fix the copy&paste bug? While programs no longer crash when copying, there's no way for me to paste text.

Sounds like you need a clean install of the OS, I never got crashes when copying and pasting on either ICS or JB. As far as I know this isn't a widespread bug. Maybe it's related to the keyboard you're using?

Shiggy

Sounds like you need a clean install of the OS, I never got crashes when copying and pasting on either ICS or JB. As far as I know this isn't a widespread bug. Maybe it's related to the keyboard you're using?

There are actually quite a few people who encountered this bug in the past, based on Google results. A system reset does not necessarily help as the bug may return. I guess it all started for me when I installed Swiftkey 3 -.-

Maybe I should root my phone and get rid of the Samsung crap software.

torontoml

There are actually quite a few people who encountered this bug in the past, based on Google results. A system reset does not necessarily help as the bug may return. I guess it all started for me when I installed Swiftkey 3 -.-

Maybe I should root my phone and get rid of the Samsung crap software.

I have the same problem, kinda pisses me off but i don't want to reset the phone, especially if it comes back anyway.

GAF's recommendation app:
http://playboard.me/editor/5071dd7f09f27cab3b000087/install-playboard

You'll find a couple of good podcast apps there.

Thanks!

Also, I was just looking into how to download youtube videos for later viewing and came to this:

http://www.wondershare.ca/convert-video-audio/android-youtube-downloader.html said:
Using YouTube Downloader App for Android
With YouTube downloader app on Android like TubeMate, you can download YouTube video on the fly. However, just as the TubeMate author said, "There are so many virus apps(ad-wares) named 'TubeMate' in the market. They are harmful. Please get the REAL TubeMate here for your safety." Therefore, it's a good idea to visit the official website to get the latest installation package and install manually. Get TubeMate YouTube downloader here , rather than search "tubemate" or "youtube downloader" in the Android market. You need to make some settings to install non-Market applications.

1. Tap "Menu" button

2. Tap "Settings"

3. Tap "Applications"

4. Check "Unknown Sources"

5. Install non-Market App

Next, open TubeMate and when you click

Is this BS to make you go to the company site (although the refering site appears to be unaffiliated) or is the Play store really a minefield? I hadn't heard of it being littered with malware before

VanWinkle

Thanks!

Also, I was just looking into how to download youtube videos for later viewing and came to this:

Is this BS to make you go to the company site (although the refering site appears to be unaffiliated) or is the Play store really a minefield? I hadn't heard of it being littered with malware before

I just search on the Play Store, and didn't see ANYTHING called TubeMate, let alone a bunch of them.

Did a bit more digging and looks like it was taken down. I've seen a couple more on the store and explicitly state that they don't download youtube videos as it's against google's TOS.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Did a bit more digging and looks like it was taken down. I've seen a couple more on the store and explicitly state that they don't download youtube videos as it's against google's TOS.

doesn't effect amazon's store

JeTmAn81

I have a few friends who strongly recommend Doggcatcher. Been meaning to pick it up myself.

I've been using Beyondpod for quite a while. It's definitely better than the Google app, and I think I tried doggcatcher and didn't like that one much. I even bought the pro version!

Top Bottom