• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

mclem

Finally getting mine on Wednesday.

GAF, I need some good case recommendations. This is my first smartphone. :p

Amusingly, so am I, on Wednesday too. And I'm also looking for a case, so I'm going to filter through the replies you had!

Are there any absolute basics I need to know for getting started with it?

Edit: Poop, looks like the Rearth one isn't available in the UK. Or at least not on Amazon.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
New leak dropped yesterday, build LJ1. Not seeing much different so far.

Yea I saw that this morning. I'm just trying to bide time and see if an official release comes out soon.

I've already rooted so flashing this ROM would be easy but I'd almost rather just get the OTA update.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
lol nope, I did download it though, hit the install on the playstore. I just happened to come back by this thread before I actually launched it.

It is still the best podcast app out there. I barely spend any actual time in the app anyway. Autodownloads and widget are all I need.

Joates

Banned
Maybe I'm missing something here but is it not possible to have mp3s playing in the background on the phone while you use other apps like the internet?

Angst

It is still the best podcast app out there. I barely spend any actual time in the app anyway. Autodownloads and widget are all I need.
Yep and i love that since the update yesterday it takes full advantage of jb's notifications with an expandable notification widget.

Joates

Banned
Play mp3, then go to internet?

What player are you using?

Apparently the default music players don't allow it?

Google play music and music player that was the default player. Any time I try to leave the player it closes it rather than putting it in the bg

Google play music and music player that was the default player. Any time I try to leave the player it closes it rather than putting it in the bg

I use google music to play my mp3s and it goes into the background just fine.

Cipherr

No it definitely works with the default player. I do it all the time.

Futureman

Google Music doesn't play MP3s though unless you've pinned the music to your phone. It streams your music otherwise.

Are you sure the music isn't just buffering? How is your connection?

Google Music won't close/stop playing your music unless you explicitly force close the app.

Joates

Banned
Google Music doesn't play MP3s though unless you've pinned the music to your phone. It streams your music otherwise.

Google Music won't close/stop playing your music unless you explicitly force close the app.

Nvm. Apparently it doesnt let you have it in the BG if you select the file in order to play it, weird but oh well. Problem solved. Thanks.

I'm getting my 64gb microsd card delivered today. Any tips/apps anyone would recommend for managing my shit? (I want it mostly holding media)

Argyle

Yea I saw that this morning. I'm just trying to bide time and see if an official release comes out soon.

I've already rooted so flashing this ROM would be easy but I'd almost rather just get the OTA update.

Haha LJ2 just dropped a few minutes ago...hear the multiple toggles on the notification shade are back (they went missing on earlier JB leaks)...

JeTmAn81

I'm getting my 64gb microsd card delivered today. Any tips/apps anyone would recommend for managing my shit? (I want it mostly holding media)

How much did you end up dropping on that? The 32 gb's are around 20 USD, but the 64's have still been looking too expensive to me.

It was $59 on amazon.ca (I'm in Canada for the next while). It's a bigger deal to me because I'm used to lugging my ipod classic around and want something that's (almost) comparable

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Haha LJ2 just dropped a few minutes ago...hear the multiple toggles on the notification shade are back (they went missing on earlier JB leaks)...

I'm downloading it very slowly via Goo on my phone right now.

teiresias

Google music sees all music on my SDcard fine (that I copied from my itunes library which my google music account syncs from), and then I set it too only show offline music so it doesn't even try to access my actual online library.

BFIB

Just started experiencing this, wanted to see if anyone had similar issues, or can recommend a fix.

I've had my music on my 32GB card now for a few months. No issues, but over the past couple days, when playing my music, the music will start "skipping" then it will skip to the next track.

Sometimes the song will only play for a few seconds, and it'll automatically skip to the next track. The only way to reset this is to open the music player, and then click "shuffle" again, or select new music to play. Again, after a while, the same issues start after a while.

I just pulled and reset my SD card, hopefully that fixes the issue. Just wanted to see if anyone else has ever had this issue.

Just started experiencing this, wanted to see if anyone had similar issues, or can recommend a fix.

I've had my music on my 32GB card now for a few months. No issues, but over the past couple days, when playing my music, the music will start "skipping" then it will skip to the next track.

Sometimes the song will only play for a few seconds, and it'll automatically skip to the next track. The only way to reset this is to open the music player, and then click "shuffle" again, or select new music to play. Again, after a while, the same issues start after a while.

I just pulled and reset my SD card, hopefully that fixes the issue. Just wanted to see if anyone else has ever had this issue.
What app are you using to play music?

How much better is the Note 2 in comparison to existing phones, particularly the S3? Since the S3 in the US is different (inferior) from the international version, is there any such discrepancy between the international Note 2 and the US Note 2 besides LTE functionality?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How much better is the Note 2 in comparison to existing phones, particularly the S3? Since the S3 in the US is different (inferior) from the international version, is there any such discrepancy between the international Note 2 and the US Note 2 besides LTE functionality?

The US s3 is not inferior to the international one, especially when it comes to being dev friendly.

Angst

Well I flashed the LJ2 JB leak last night.

I don't like Touchwiz. It just seems clunky to me. I'm coming from a nexus device and I like the minimal OS.

Are there ROM's out there that will work on my S3 that don't include touchwiz?

CyanogenMod 10 or AOKP

Top Bottom