• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It's been my DD for 2-3 months. All features I use are working. I don't believe audio over USB is working and there's probably a few glitches but I have not noticed anything.

Thanks I'll give it a go this weekend when I have a bit more time.

marrec

Banned
Anyone else get a T-Mo update on their S3 this morning? Can't find any information on it. It obviously wasn't JB, but it did something damnit.

HildyB

CM10 is stable and all features working properly?

I run into some issues with Phone echo and volume/sound issues that come and go depending on the nightly. The "M" builds are like milestone builds and the ones recommended if you don't like flashing every day or so with nightly. Over all, it wasn't stable with my type of usage, so I would say just try and it and see if what doesn't work even affects you.

I ended up using the Serenity Lite 1.2 rom, which is 4.1.1 port from the Galaxy Note 2. Works pretty flawless on our phone. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1951115

HildyB

Anyone else get a T-Mo update on their S3 this morning? Can't find any information on it. It obviously wasn't JB, but it did something damnit.

Probably the same update Verizon and ATT got a couple weeks back. Misc fixes and the brightness slider in the notification pull down was probably added. Was 60-80MB?

marrec

Banned
Probably the same update Verizon and ATT got a couple weeks back. Misc fixes and the brightness slider in the notification pull down was probably added. Was 60-80MB?

Don't know the size, but there's been a brightness slider in the pull down since I got the phone. Maybe just added the other misc fixes. I want a change log!

DietRob

I run into some issues with Phone echo and volume/sound issues that come and go depending on the nightly. The "M" builds are like milestone builds and the ones recommended if you don't like flashing every day or so with nightly. Over all, it wasn't stable with my type of usage, so I would say just try and it and see if what doesn't work even affects you.

I ended up using the Serenity Lite 1.2 rom, which is 4.1.1 port from the Galaxy Note 2. Works pretty flawless on our phone. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1951115

Thank you for this tidbit of info. I'll be sure to flash with an M build instead of a nightly.

What is the state of emulation on this phone(tmobile)? Could I carry around a dual shock 3 to play games? I'm sure psone and SNES and all of that older stuff is supported, but how about n64 and Dreamcast?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Give CM10 a try, but then also give ParanoidAndroid a try. ParanoidAndroid is all about giving you DPI setting options on a per app basis, including activating a tablet mode for each app. I will never be able to go back to normal CM10 after using PA.

Argyle

I'm downloading the LJ7 rom from freeza on xda odexed. I'm not rooted so what's the best way to install this?

If I were you I would root to get Clockwork Mod, then install the zip file from Freeza.

There's an Odin tar file that leaked out as well, that will give you fully stock LJ7 but it looked like it may wipe your phone. Back everything up before you flash that!

Honestly stick with either CM10 for basic AOSP, AOKP if you want some customization. Slim Bean is a good choice as well

STAY AWAY from Paranoid Android and the like. I've had nothing but problems and more errors while running those ROMs for some reason

Phoenix

The Samsung commercial train continues...

Work Trip (this one is particularly good)

Date Night

I think Samsung does best when they focus on their own device as a solution and spend less time trying to trash the iPhone.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Honestly stick with either CM10 for basic AOSP, AOKP if you want some customization. Slim Bean is a good choice as well

STAY AWAY from Paranoid Android and the like. I've had nothing but problems and more errors while running those ROMs for some reason

Sucks for you, but plenty of people have had good results with PA and warning people to stay away from the Rom because you had a bad experience is silly.

If I were you I would root to get Clockwork Mod, then install the zip file from Freeza.

There's an Odin tar file that leaked out as well, that will give you fully stock LJ7 but it looked like it may wipe your phone. Back everything up before you flash that!

Thanks, looks official now:

8yjuma2u.jpg

Ephemeris

I was delaying the first one for MONTHS. finally went in, lost my universal search but picked up a few new ones.

Now getting a new update request like you are. Should be this one:

Screen-Shot-2012-10-17-at-2.37.33-PM-660x484.png

edit (Forgot the good stuff):

Version:
Android version 4.0.4/Software version T999UVLJ4
Approved 10/17/2012
Improvements:
Resolved Media Hub playback issues
Pinch & Zoom backend changes – No visible user changes

Prerequisites
OTA and Samsung Kies update
T999UVLH2, T999UVLG1 or T999UVLEM
Device software is not rooted
50% battery life
Data connection
50 MB available memory (File size of update is 12 MB)

Welp! It was nice knowing you S3-GAF, but my S3 has been stolen and I'm up shit creek for 2 years :/ So sad :(

that sucks :(

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I've been using the JB leaks for the last few weeks. You're going to love it!

BiggNife

It's probably still going to be months until Verizon gets JB.

Maybe I should stop being lazy and get a custom ROM on this thing over the weekend.

BIGWORM

Anyone running the latest Paranoid Android 2.50? I was having some glitches with the screen transitions, but I think this AOSP-based ROM is finally stable to be my DD, after running Wicked v6 for the past 2 weeks.

Kyoufu

For me it says "Access to the software update service is provided to users in the order in which they request it. Try later" when I go to software update in settings.

I just want my darn JB update.

Swag

I can no longer paste anything on my phone, can copy just fine. Phone just crashes sometimes when I try to paste from Gmail.

Withnail

Got my JB update yesterday (UK, unbranded). Some nice little tweaks here and there and Google Now is really cool. Don't really notice the effects of "Project Butter" but then the S3 was already pretty smooth.

For me it says "Access to the software update service is provided to users in the order in which they request it. Try later" when I go to software update in settings.

I just want my darn JB update.

If you really want it now you could install Kies. That will update the phone immediately. Kies is otherwise pretty horrible though.

DietRob

So I'm shopping around Amazon for a 32g Micro SD card and I see two varieties.

SanDisk 32 GB Mobile microSDHC Flash Memory Card - $19.94

SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s - $31.94

Is the ultra card really worth the premium? I know fast cards are desirable for DSLR's but are they really necessary for phones?

So I'm shopping around Amazon for a 32g Micro SD card and I see two varieties.

SanDisk 32 GB Mobile microSDHC Flash Memory Card - $19.94

SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s - $31.94

Is the ultra card really worth the premium? I know fast cards are desirable for DSLR's but are they really necessary for phones?

it's really only a big concern if you want to record HD Video and not worry about the card keeping up.

massoluk

Banned
Anyone using one of them Case with built in Battery? I'm kinda looking into buying one, can never have to much of juices. Probably waiting to see what Mophie is releasing before buying one though.

buhdeh

I can no longer paste anything on my phone, can copy just fine. Phone just crashes sometimes when I try to paste from Gmail.

Been a bug since launch. You need to root or factory restore (this option means it can happen AGAIN in the future) to fix it. Pathetic, eh?

jobber

I cant seem to install apps to the new SD card I installed on my Galaxy S3. Is that not supported?

Nope.

Basically the SD card is useless for apps.......unless you root and run a script that tricks the OS in thinking that the external space is the internal space and the internal space is the external space.

Running the latest sprint jellybean leak (LJ7), cant figure out how to disable vibration for notifications. Vibrate is definitely disabled in sound options. Don't know whats going on

jobber

Running the latest sprint jellybean leak (LJ7), cant figure out how to disable vibration for notifications. Vibrate is definitely disabled in sound options. Don't know whats going on

Is Smart Alert on in the motions options?

Top Bottom