• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

What's better, SoundHound or Shazam? I downloaded Shazam for my iPhone years and never bothered looking into anything else, but everyone nowadays seems to use SoundHound. Is it better or something?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Text and email, I think...motion is completely disabled

might be just texts actually, not sure

edit - Found the solution, I had to hit the menu button while in the messaging app to pull up settings and disable vibrate when notified. Never even knew about that menu

Yeah, that was what I was leading to. Android is terrible about notification settings and having them all over the place. iOS definitely gets that right.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I can't seem to copy/paste to my external sd card from windows. The transfer hangs and/or fails.

That happened to me too. This happened a day after I was able to transfer stuff with no problems. I still don't know what happened. The SD card isn't locked and it's recognized by my computer and the phone. It just says it's busy or has been disconnected.

jobber

Nothing yet on Sprint. Talk about a soft launch. Did they just send this out to 1,000 people?

It probably won't start until tomorrow.

It hasn't been anything uploaded to XDA.

The last leak was the final version anyway.

OG Kush

So how is the GS3 as an mp3 player? I heard some posts about some clicking noise that comes through the headphones? That sounds terrible...
Also I heard something about SD card speeds? Does the speed make a difference? Someone told me a slow speed can damage the phone in some way... also does using an SD card reduce battery life?
Thanks

Angst

So how is the GS3 as an mp3 player? I heard some posts about some clicking noise that comes through the headphones? That sounds terrible...
Also I heard something about SD card speeds? Does the speed make a difference? Someone told me a slow speed can damage the phone in some way... also does using an SD card reduce battery life?
Thanks

Clicking noises someone else has to answer.

SD card speeds - speed does a difference if you're recording lots of video and has a habit of constantly moving files back and forth from SD to internal. It won't reduce your battery life, unless your doing some really intensive copying to/from the sd-card - but then it's really the cpu eating up battery, not the card itself.

jobber

The Sprint GS3 update is being pushed and surprise surprise..it's the exact same build that was leaked.

Vek

Thanks

I've only had mine a short while, but audio wise I haven't been able to fault it. With my old GS1 I used to get a faint hissing/background static like noise, but that hasn't been apparent with the GS3. However I haven't been able to test it extensively yet because I'm having issues with playback! It seems that after about 20-25 minutes the playback will just stop - no matter which app I'm using to play (music or podcast). I'm still in the process of testing it, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the sdcard (64gb sdxc). Media playback is also draining the battery at a ridiculous rate :\

marrec

Banned
Thanks

I'm a big MP3 listener and have not found fault with either the player or the earpods that come with the phone. Both sound just fine. Though I don't have a super expensive set of pods so maybe there will be pops there.

BFIB

No issues with the sound quality, but I think my SD card is slowly dying.

Was at Best Buy last night checking out a few things, and walked by the GS3 they had on display from Sprint. With the pop up message that a system update is available. Come on, Sprint, roll out that JB goodness to my phone!

If you don't want to wait for the OTA (could be a while), download it straight from Google (Xda has the link, as well as a few mirrors), put it on a microsd, power down, then go into recovery (hold power, volume up, and the home button). Apply update from external, go to file, bewm!

MooMoo

If you don't want to wait for the OTA (could be a while), download it straight from Google (Xda has the link, as well as a few mirrors), put it on a microsd, power down, then go into recovery (hold power, volume up, and the home button). Apply update from external, go to file, bewm!
Can't wait to try this when I get home!

transferring zip now. let's see how this goes.

EDIT:

Installing now.

EDIT 2:

And Done.

Rad Agast

Got the official international JB update yesterday. I'm impressed by how smooth everything is when it works. I get some hick-ups every now and then though.

Ecto311

Updated to Jelly Bean on the S3. Why isn't Google Now talking in the Siri-esque voice to me? I've checked through all the settings and she should be talking as far as I can tell, but it's silent and just pools up google results.

Google now doesnt talk unless you ask it something that it needs too. Ask Tom Hanks birthday and it will speak it.

Argyle

Updated to Jelly Bean on the S3. Why isn't Google Now talking in the Siri-esque voice to me? I've checked through all the settings and she should be talking as far as I can tell, but it's silent and just pools up google results.

You need to ask a question that it can answer with the "knowledge graph" for it to speak, I think.

Try asking it who the president is, or ask when your favorite movie came out.

Thanks for the responses. The issue actually was that I had app volume turned down, but all other volume up. Fixed that and now working great! Now just waiting for Sprint to launch LTE at my place. I've visited several LTE neighborhoods on Sprint(most of these spots only seem to be a quarter of a mile or less) and I've seen incredible speeds and also 3g like speeds while on LTE.

Angst

So I updated to the first ROM in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610 and now I'm hanging on the SAMSUNG logo screen on start-up. Is it a problem with a ROM incompatibility or something else? My phone is from Phones4u and on Orange so I assumed it would be unbranded.
Don't worry, you can still get to Cwm menu and install another rom or stock. I think it's power, vol down and home button. Just connect to pc and transfer another rom to your sd card and install it. Or restore the nandroid backup. You did do a nandroid?

recovery -> wipe

Had the same problem and that worked wonders.
Yea this worked last night. The ROM I picked was compatible I just didn't do this. I tried to like TouchWiz but it's just too ugly, so I redeemed my 50GB of free Dropbox space I forgot to get then switched to ParanoidAndroid which I much prefer.

Toddler

Does anyone else have trouble transferring files from their PC to their phone and vice versa?

On Windows 7 64 over here, and while I seem to connect just fine, it tells me it'll take 8-9 hours to move a 136 MB album.

Didn't have this problem when I first got it, and I've done everything I can think of from restoring my phone back to factory settings, uninstalling and re-installing drivers (both Samsung and Kies), USB debug mode, switching from MTP to PTP and back, switching USB cords, nothing has worked.

Cipherr

Does anyone else have trouble transferring files from their PC to their phone and vice versa?

On Windows 7 64 over here, and while I seem to connect just fine, it tells me it'll take 8-9 hours to move a 136 MB album.

Didn't have this problem when I first got it, and I've done everything I can think of from restoring my phone back to factory settings, uninstalling and re-installing drivers (both Samsung and Kies), USB debug mode, switching from MTP to PTP and back, switching USB cords, nothing has worked.

Never heard of that. Do you have WiFi at home? If so download and use Airdroid, itll transfer all your stuff over WiFi to your phone from your PC through a browser window until you can figure out what the problem is with the USB data rates.

Toddler

Never heard of that. Do you have WiFi at home? If so download and use Airdroid, itll transfer all your stuff over WiFi to your phone from your PC through a browser window until you can figure out what the problem is with the USB data rates.

Good advice, thanks!!!

Top Bottom