• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

andthebeatgoeson

This is the part where you tell us the name of a device, available on multiple US carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc.) and Verizon, where the Verizon version of the device didn't receive an update that was received by the device on other carriers. Show your work with a relevant link.

Thunderbolt?
http://www.androidpit.com/htc-thunderbolt-android-4-0-ice-cream-sandwich-update
You're right, the thunderbolt did get an upgrade from Gingerbread. My fault. I finally gave in and decided to not wait until Feb 2013. Right on schedule.

clav

There is a setting in there that has stabilize or something of that nature default set to off for whatever stupid reason that is. Go in and enable it.

Still takes blurry pictures.

Yes I'm on stock.

I dunno man. For everyday quick pictures in daylight, I get much better pics on my S3 than I do with my 920. I find it very difficult to get pictures that are not blurry with the 920, I have to be very gingerly and take my time which is frustrating. My S3, I just launch the camera and shoot, don't really think about it. :shrug

There's always this white blemish in the middle for some photos I take. I already took some lens cleaner and paper to clean it several times, but I still have the same result.

Other times, the pictures are just unreadable at all as the phone can't focus on text.

clav

Anyone use an alternative lockscreen that works fine on the stock TouchWiz ROM with working password protection?

Samsung screwed up.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Anyone running CM 10.1 ? I see a few experimental versions and nightly builds what if any bugs does it contain and what upgrades are there from CM 10?

itxaka

Defeatist
The latest CM 10.1 M runs flawlessly on my S3.

Display freezes after front camera picture. Getting out of the camera and opening again fixes it. Tethering does not work. Battery runs out way too quickly.

That is on my int s3 with cm10.1 daily

Eldon

Display freezes after front camera picture. Getting out of the camera and opening again fixes it. Tethering does not work. Battery runs out way too quickly.

Wifi tethering works for me and about the battery, why don't you use Greenify?
My phone lasts longer than before.

Only issue with CM 10.1 right now is a bug that auto restarts the phone, its been happening in nightlys, other versions run perfectly for me.

kaskade

The only issue I've noticed with CM10.1 M2 is that sometimes the home button will bring up the recent apps menu instead of home. Doesn't happen very often but requires a restart. If that was fixed it'd amazing.

itxaka

Defeatist
Wifi tethering works for me and about the battery, why don't you use Greenify?
My phone lasts longer than before.

Strange, tethering hasn't been working for me almostsince the first daily. Maybe it got corrupted?

I use greenify but it still sucks half of my battery in 6-7 hours when it use to stay for 8-10 before. Almost no use so...

DietRob

Have you tried to use bluetooth audio? My car has the capability but when I use it the bass is muted. To fix I have to place a call, then end the call and it's back to normal. This is with CM 10 stable build.

Torraz

Just received my galaxy 3 from amazon.

The weird thing is that there was a bit of dust on the phone (which is right under the lid of the box). The samsung "do not accept if broken" seal was completely untouched though, at least that's what it looked like. The edges were completely smooth etc. It's wrapped in plastic. The top and bottom plastic parts (covering the usb plug) slightly let go.

Does this sound okay, or like something fishy is going on? I don't want a used phone when i pay "new" prices.

Sagitario

Screenshot_2013-03-26-08-41-48.png
Screenshot_2013-03-26-09-44-02.png
(as of the moment of this post, battery is at 64%)

Is there an app to know what's draining the battery so quickly?

Since Friday (I am guessing some apps got updated), I am getting a horrible battery life (no 3G/LTE or wifi activated), plus, the phone is warm/hot all the time, even when it isn't being used.

I would like to confirm if there is an app running and causing all the trouble.
There are [supposedly] 0 active applications running, RAM has been cleared, unrooted TouchWiz with Android 4.1.2.

Also, since that Friday, the alarm stopped working. I cleared the clock app data/cache, have restarted the phone multiple times, check the sound settings and nothing.

AndyD

aka andydumi
All that awake time says there is something running. There are some apps that tell you what process is running. I can't recall off the top of my head now.

DietRob

Just received my galaxy 3 from amazon.

The weird thing is that there was a bit of dust on the phone (which is right under the lid of the box). The samsung "do not accept if broken" seal was completely untouched though, at least that's what it looked like. The edges were completely smooth etc. It's wrapped in plastic. The top and bottom plastic parts (covering the usb plug) slightly let go.

Does this sound okay, or like something fishy is going on? I don't want a used phone when i pay "new" prices.

Get in contact with Amazon. They are best in the biz for customer service for a reason.

bob page

The only issue I've noticed with CM10.1 M2 is that sometimes the home button will bring up the recent apps menu instead of home. Doesn't happen very often but requires a restart. If that was fixed it'd amazing.

Same thing actually happens to me with my custom button config for menu- I have it set to open recent apps on hold but sometimes it opens simply on tap.

Only other thing I've noticed is that the camera app won't let me record video at 1080p, only 720p. I updated the camera to some ROM I found on xda so I could save to SD card, so maybe it's a bad app.

(as of the moment of this post, battery is at 64%)

Is there an app to know what's draining the battery so quickly?

Since Friday (I am guessing some apps got updated), I am getting a horrible battery life (no 3G/LTE or wifi activated), plus, the phone is warm/hot all the time, even when it isn't being used.

I would like to confirm if there is an app running and causing all the trouble.
There are [supposedly] 0 active applications running, RAM has been cleared, unrooted TouchWiz with Android 4.1.2.

Also, since that Friday, the alarm stopped working. I cleared the clock app data/cache, have restarted the phone multiple times, check the sound settings and nothing.

Get BetterBatteryStats.

Is it generally accepted that every single 4.2 Rom has a problem with the camera? I'm running Slim Bean on my i9300 and I've tried loads of other roms but there is ALWAYS a problem with the stock camera. It's really frustrating the hell out of me because other than the camera I absolutely love the Rom I'm on. Any solutions or should I just use Camera ZOOM even though I hate it?

Flashed a few different roms last night and all the 4.2.2 ones didn't really sit well with me. The camera did seem a bit worse, maybe not in picture quality but definitely in terms of UI. Am I right in thinking that there are less options? And it took me ages to figure out I have to swipe to get to the gallery. Isn't 4.2.2 also meant to enable the panoramic sphere because it's only letting me do horizontal panoramas whereas the camera I have now lets me do vertical as well....

Edit: Nevermind. I just added a photosphere only zip which has left me with 2 camera apps but it's worth it. I can now use my old camera to take normal photos and then boot up the 4.2.2 camera if I ever want to take a photosphere... and having tried it in my house, I don't think I'll be using it all that often. A great concept but in practice, it doesn't seem to work that well. It might be better outside as one review told me it would but I'm yet to try that.

Ecto311

Finally replaced my screen with one from amazon. It was really easy fix to a shattered screen.

Used this guide - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1945494

Applied heat to the screen then used a laser temp gun from work to check the heat. Lucky for me the heat guy is a beast and I hit 200F quickly. I pryed the edge up and pulled it off no problem. The only issue I had was at the bottom the ribbon (pictured) is really hard to line up with the new screen. The lights are a bit off but they work just fine.

If anyone is going to attempt this just make sure you can get the screen hot quickly and I don't see how you could mess this up.

clav

I ordered another screen to do my wifes this weekened. Mine was the test phone. I would do a video or something for the next one but it is really simple once you see one of the existing videos on this.

Oh I've used a heat gun many times before. Not a sarcastic response.

BiggNife

Has anyone here bought a battery case that they would recommend? I've been looking into them out of curiosity but I haven't found one I'm happy with yet. I know the Mophie is the go-to battery case for iPhones but apparently the S3 version is garbage judging by Amazon reviews.

Ecto311

Update to the last post:

Got a new screen for my wife's phone in the mail and swapped it out with her currently broken one. This one was much harder and almost lost the phone in the process. Her phone was cracked in the middle where a rock hit it. When heating the phone it would come off in pieces and not like my phone in one part. It took a lot longer and the digitizer had glue that didnt come off covering the bottom half. This was not the case the first time as you can see in the pictures.

I think if the break is more like mine and on the side of the phone its easier and if its in the middle or broken all the way thru the glue it could be a lot harder. Not sure if its because I broke mine last week and hers 2 months ago? The repair was with the same tools but it went a lot worse this time. GooGone works to get the reside off of the screen if anyone find some left. The rubbing alcohol didnt touch it. Also a flat exacto blade like a mini paint scraper worked the best for me to get down the sides and pry off the old screen.

The first screen had a protective layer that came off before applying it to the screen so I could test it also and this one didnt. Opened the plastic it was in and it was just hard plastic that I could wipe finger prints off of. All said and done the new screen is on and the phone works. When the phone is off you can see color warping on the digitizer but when lit it looks fine. It also works fine and the ribbon cable at the bottom had its sticker coating coming off when the new screen went on.

tl:dr - my first post made it sound too easy and this repair on the same phone with the same break was much harder and almost lost the phone.

justjohn

Can anyone help me with this little problem. The clock in the UK went ahead an hour yesterday and my phone has updated properly but the time on the accuweather widget is still an hour behind. I've tried everything but doesnt seem to change.

Ecto311

yep. it all depends on how smoothly you can get the broken glass off...

My phone it came off just fine. All one piece and no problems with the glue. For whatever reason this one where it was cracked just came in pieces. It was like the under lining of the glue had been cracked on the second one and not mine. Not sure if time did that or just the type of break that she had.

Fry

Don't know where to ask this, so:

I got a Galaxy SIII mini. I have a question regarding the battery. Do I charge it when it dies or before it dies?

Don't know where to ask this, so:

I got a Galaxy SIII mini. I have a question regarding the battery. Do I charge it when it dies or before it dies?
before

and IIRC, the worst thing you can do to these types of batteries is turn the phone back on right after it turns off due to low power.

Madness

I want to get a new battery and back cover before the S4 is out. Anyone know where you get genuine OEM replacements from?

Only because I'm keeping my S3 for at least another year or do, and I'm noticing my battery doesn't last as long as it did when I first bought it, and a few drops have scratched the back a bit.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've been seeing this phone like crazy now! It's not just iPhones that I see out in wild. Kinda cool to see that. Another one of my coworkers snagged the S3 making five of us now!

I've been using docomo's S3 alpha for about a week now.

My last phone was a plain jane S2 (no lte) and I though that was basically perfection as far as I was concerned. The s3 seemed to cross over into being too big. And I did not like the form factor. But I am really starting to come around now. This really is a fantastic phone.

I still wish it was slightly smaller. But otherwise it is clearly better in every way vs any other phone I have used. Proccesing power certainly feels bumped up vs the s2. But I would say the 2 most noticable improvements for me are the screen, and the LTE stuff. Data rates are like an order of magnitude better than my last phone. Also my last phone was still ICS. This is running Jellybean. The camera is also crazy fast and responsive. Somrtimes it proceses the photo so fast I am not sure I pressed the shutter button.

lol I missed my subway station by 2 stops typing that last post. This device is mezmorizing!
Also I should prob trun my headphones down

bob page

I've been using docomo's S3 alpha for about a week now.

My last phone was a plain jane S2 (no lte) and I though that was basically perfection as far as I was concerned. The s3 seemed to cross over into being too big. And I did not like the form factor. But I am really starting to come around now. This really is a fantastic phone.

I still wish it was slightly smaller. But otherwise it is clearly better in every way vs any other phone I have used. Proccesing power certainly feels bumped up vs the s2. But I would say the 2 most noticable improvements for me are the screen, and the LTE stuff. Data rates are like an order of magnitude better than my last phone. Also my last phone was still ICS. This is running Jellybean. The camera is also crazy fast and responsive. Somrtimes it proceses the photo so fast I am not sure I pressed the shutter button.
Are you using the stock camera app? The shutter speed on my 4S was definitely faster. The camera is probably my only complaint in switching from the iPhone.

Shiggy

Just got a new update to 4.1.2 today, which seemingly adds nothing (?).

Edit: Well, now you can delete pages on the main screen again when the developer options are activated.

atomsk

Party Pooper
is it normal if your touchscreen is non responsive but it gets normal again after restarting it?

Mine has been getting more sluggish the past few weeks for seemingly no reason. Like it takes an extra second to pull up the keyboard when opening text messages

Top Bottom