• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Considering making this my first smartphone. Opinions? The S4 would be a bit expensive for my taste.

Would use it for
- calls
- sms
- some apps (anki etc.)
- camera

depends on if you're getting it with a service agreement or paying full price for the device, but the S3 is a great choice.`

Yeah, I got my S3 last week and have absolutely no remorse after the S4 announcement. Makes it even sweeter since you can find it for $0-50 nowadays.

if i wanted a smaller phone like the S3, i would be upset... well, i wouldn't since i would have waited until the announcement... rather pay the extra $150 on contract for the new model. but in an off contract situation, my opinion might shift to getting an S3 for $400 over a $700 S4...

bob page

if i wanted a smaller phone like the S3, i would be upset... well, i wouldn't since i would have waited until the announcement... rather pay the extra $150 on contract for the new model. but in an off contract situation, my opinion might shift to getting an S3 for $400 over a $700 S4...

I made $40 by getting a S3 so I don't mind, haha ($10 from Dell plus $50 gift card).

Mush

Is there anything I can do about SD Card errors? Every time I wake my phone up the SD Card shits itself and either tells me the card is blank or has errors on it.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I think it might be your SD card, dude. Have you tried another SD card to see if you get the same issue?

.GqueB.

Banned

Are they actually comparable in size despite the larger screen? Based on the dimensions they are but I saw this random vid that looked otherwise?

Luthair

Can anyone suggest a really good case for this phone that doesn't bulk it up too much?

And what rom is a good rom? Is Cyanogenmod still the best?

I'm gonna ask again because I get the feeling this might have been missed. I'm currently using the Foxhound rom at the moment (dunno why I ended up settling on this over CM) and would like to know how it compares to other popular roms on the scene at the moment.

I see a lot of people using the Cyanogen Mod on here and would like to know what differences there are between the two and other roms? I am quite happy with Foxhound and the features it offers and seeing as though I'm getting near two days battery from a full charge now, I know I'm never going back to stock. I'd just like to know what other features there might be that I am currently missing out on, or if there are greater performance tweaks with other roms that I might be interested in?

If someone could help outline some of the similarities and differences between the more popular roms, I'd really appreciate it.

clav

I'm gonna ask again because I get the feeling this might have been missed. I'm currently using the Foxhound rom at the moment (dunno why I ended up settling on this over CM) and would like to know how it compares to other popular roms on the scene at the moment.

I see a lot of people using the Cyanogen Mod on here and would like to know what differences there are between the two and other roms? I am quite happy with Foxhound and the features it offers and seeing as though I'm getting near two days battery from a full charge now, I know I'm never going back to stock. I'd just like to know what other features there might be that I am currently missing out on, or if there are greater performance tweaks with other roms that I might be interested in?

If someone could help outline some of the similarities and differences between the more popular roms, I'd really appreciate it.

My impression of Android is that most ROMs are just modified builds of CM. If CM stops updating, we won't see new ROMs.

Does Cyanogen allow you to enable the software buttons and disable the hardware ones? If not, is there a decent rom that does?
I use Slim Bean (which is absolutely phenomenal by the way) and you can set the hardware buttons to have no action.

Really nice rom actually, lowers the size of pretty much the entire interface so you can get more information on the screen, find myself having great battery life on it too. Sat and watched Bob's Burgers for 6 hours today on the phone, still 34% battery left.

RuGalz

Anyone been having issues with their gps? It often won't work unless I restart my phone.

My fiance's has exact same issue (at&t), mine is flawless (vzw). Factor reset, swapped phone with AT&T and still no dice -- it would work for a couple days then the symptom resurfaces. I'm tempted to flash custom rom on her phone to see if it fixes the issue.

nib95

Banned
Did you get it repaired? Mine dropped out of my pocket last night at the O2 and the glass is smashed.

Wasn't a high drop either.

Not yet. It works fine and it gives me a giggle using it cracked. My current options are...

1.) Send it to this guy on eBay who does it for £30 (non official lens, but he has amazing feedback)

2.) Take it to Voda to see how much they charge for a repair.

3.) Repair it with my local repair shop in Bath. Guy took his price down to £100 for me, said it'd take 1 hour. Apparently that includes a new screen (digitiser) too as the official one is sold only with the screen and lens attached. Might be able to barter a cheaper price.

4.) Take out insurance on it and make a claim later. I.e, dodgy and not cool.

Thinking of just going with option 3. £70 more than just the lens, but at least it's official and I get a new screen too. Hmm....

P.S, my theory is that once you have a few cracks in the surrounding rim/edge of the S3, your screen is far more likely to crack from a drop. So if you see hairline cracks around the edges (not on the actual screen itself), get a case on it to be safe. In this sense I'm glad the S4 will have an aluminium border, and a slightly more protruding front rim.

MrHicks

Banned
how much cheaper do these "s phones" get when a new version is out?

like how much of a price drop is the s3 gonna get with s4 out?

Not yet. It works fine and it gives me a giggle using it cracked. My current options are...

1.) Send it to this guy on eBay who does it for £30 (non official lens, but he has amazing feedback)

2.) Take it to Voda to see how much they charge for a repair.

3.) Repair it with my local repair shop in Bath. Guy took his price down to £100 for me, said it'd take 1 hour. Apparently that includes a new screen (digitiser) too as the official one is sold only with the screen and lens attached. Might be able to barter a cheaper price.

4.) Take out insurance on it and make a claim later. I.e, dodgy and not cool.

Thinking of just going with option 3. £70 more than just the lens, but at least it's official and I get a new screen too. Hmm....

P.S, my theory is that once you have a few cracks in the surrounding rim/edge of the S3, your screen is far more likely to crack from a drop. So if you see hairline cracks around the edges (not on the actual screen itself), get a case on it to be safe. In this sense I'm glad the S4 will have an aluminium border, and a slightly more protruding front rim.
Fuck was hoping it'd be cheaper than a hundred. It's extra galling because I spent £170 on a new digitiser just before Christmas. Might go the N4 route.

Violater

Ok, my phone got bumped while charging overnight and aparently the lock screen came on and stayed there all night.
Now I have the clock burned in, is there an easy way to fix this?

sikma42

Banned
can't connect phone to my car's bluetooth. Apparently its a problem with Nissan cars. Bout to take this back bc that is essential. Maybe I'll get my first iphone. They just work.

nib95

Banned
S3 still boasting one of the better camera's on a phone, even a year later.

If people want another more scientific comparison, use this comparison tool. Remember to select scale to (I chose 5mp to be fair to the One) under the image. Suffice to say, the resolution disadvantage of the One is evident. I'd say the S3, despite being an older handset, comes out on top in this comparison.

GSM Arena | Camera Comparison | S3 vs Z vs One

Video quality wise, the One bests the Z in detail, though the S3 still comes up best overall for detail and accuracy. In low light video however, things become more competitive, with the S3 and One being pretty comparable. The S3 slightly brighter, the One being slightly more detailed.

GSM Arena | Video Comparison | S3 vs Z vs One

Haven't compared it with Nokia's best, but I fully expect Nokia to still lead things in this domain. Be interesting to see how the S4 compares to Nokia's elite, since it's evident the S4 trumps the Z and One's camera output quite handily.

Verizon will laugh at this and not give a single shit.

This is the part where you tell us the name of a device, available on multiple US carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc.) and Verizon, where the Verizon version of the device didn't receive an update that was received by the device on other carriers. Show your work with a relevant link.

Zoe

Is there a way to get a wider range on the volume? The lower end doesn't go as low as I would like for the ringer.

clav

S3 still boasting one of the better camera's on a phone, even a year later.

Haven't compared it with Nokia's best, but I fully expect Nokia to still lead things in this domain. Be interesting to see how the S4 compares to Nokia's elite, since it's evident the S4 trumps the Z and One's camera output quite handily.
My phone still takes blurry pictures.

Wishing I had a Nokia pure view phone.

Some people say the auto focus on the s2 is much better.

bob page

Auto focus on my S3 seems pretty bad- not sure if it's the CM 10.1 app lagging or if it's poor sensors. I bought Camera Zoom FX and that helped a bit.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

There is a setting in there that has stabilize or something of that nature default set to off for whatever stupid reason that is. Go in and enable it.

zedge

I dunno man. For everyday quick pictures in daylight, I get much better pics on my S3 than I do with my 920. I find it very difficult to get pictures that are not blurry with the 920, I have to be very gingerly and take my time which is frustrating. My S3, I just launch the camera and shoot, don't really think about it. :shrug

Top Bottom