• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

The Lumia 900 is a 2012 design phone with late/early 2010/2011 internals, sadly. It was a smart move to partner up with someone one their part. Their own OS was going no where outside of a few markets, but i only wish they werent exclusive.

The Lumia 900 is a 2012 design phone with late/early 2010/2011 internals, sadly. It was a smart move to partner up with someone one their part. Their own OS was going no where outside of a few markets, but i only wish they werent exclusive.

True. But it doesn't negatively affect the experience. The Lumia 900/800 is just as fast as any high specced device.

Xzior

I don't think I will be upgrading from the SGS2 this year, I feel the SGS3 is a tad to big, might change my mind about that if I get to hold and compare them. Would like to have a SGS3 for the upgrade in sound quality the Wolfson DAC entails compared to the Yamaha DAC in the SGS2.

These first world problems is really taxing and I need to rest for awhile and regain my energy.

Toki767

I'm upgrading because I'm still on the original Galaxy S. It might not be a big bump from the S2, but it's a stupidly dramatic bump from the original. I suspect the S4 next year will be using the quad core A15 which will probably make it a more significant bump from the S2 just in efficiency and power consumption alone.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
im trying to make a one x vs s3 pro list so i can decide whether or not to wait for the s3 or just get the one x now. if you guys have any input lemme know:

one x pro

non-pentile -> sharper text
already released
will probably be a little cheaper
it seems there's a general consensus that sense > touchwiz?

s3 pro

amoled -> better contrast
bigger battery
replaceable battery
expandable memory
4.8 inch screen
optional wireless charging dock
eye tracking that keeps the screen on (personally i think this is significant)

i left design stuff out because it's pretty subjective

Toki767

im trying to make a one x vs s3 pro list so i can decide whether or not to wait for the s3 or just get the one x now. if you guys have any input lemme know:

htc pro

non-pentile -> sharper text
already released
will probably be a little cheaper
it seems there's a general consensus that sense > touchwiz?

s3 pro

amoled -> better contrast
bigger battery
replaceable battery
expandable memory
4.8 inch screen
optional wireless charging dock
eye tracking that keeps the screen on (personally i think this is significant)

i left design stuff out because it's pretty subjective

I'd put an actual menu button as a pro for the S3 as well. Infinitely more useful than how the One X handles it because of Google. Also, the Exynos seems to almost destroy the Snapdragon S4 in benchmarks for the most part, but that probably won't be noticeable in real world examples.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I'd put an actual menu button as a pro for the S3 as well. Infinitely more useful than how the One X handles it because of Google. Also, the Exynos seems to almost destroy the Snapdragon S4 in benchmarks for the most part, but that probably won't be noticeable in real world examples.

Exynos quad probably wont be in the NA version of the phone though :x. but it's definitely a bullet point internationally

This phone is starting to look really good, now that the bootloader on the One X will not be unlockable for the forseeable future...

I don't want to be stuck in another situation like with the Atrix 4G. For the longest time, I couldn't do anything with the phone.

Guess I might have to give up that beautiful design and that screen and go with the GSIII.

but at least I will have a removable battery, micro sd slot, and 25 more GB of storage on dropbox...

nib95

Banned
I have a bad feeling the camera on the S3 won't hold up as well to the One X. But here's hoping. It is a new un-announced sensor so it'd be a shame if it came out worse.

thirty

Banned
depending on how you personally use the phone eye tracking may not even work. I figure you'd have to be holding the phone facing your face. Who does that? 75% of my daily usage its on my desk and I'm viewing at an angle. On the couch while it's closer to my face it's still at an angle.

Darkkn

depending on how you personally use the phone eye tracking may not even work. I figure you'd have to be holding the phone facing your face. Who does that? 75% of my daily usage its on my desk and I'm viewing at an angle. On the couch while it's closer to my face it's still at an angle.

I never use my phone on a desk. It's pretty much always facing me in some angle that is probably good enough for camera to see my eyes. You can test it by using the front facing camera and holding the phone like you would normally and see what the camera sees.
Even if it does not work, things work like they used to :)

Galaxy+S3+vs+Galaxy+Note.png

I think I'm going with the Galaxy note, it's not that much bigger and comes with a stylus.
The souped up innards of the S3 might also result in the Note lasting longer battery-wise.

Darkkn

Damn. I'm definitely warming to this phone after the initial disappointment. White model seems quite nice looking actually, it's just the material choice that's a bit disappointing. Considering that i'm using the first Galaxy S, this would be a huge upgrade for me.

I'm not even in a TW hate camp as it has pretty much just improved upon the stock os in 2.3 android version. New TW looks pretty nice. A lot more like ICS than Sense which does not look like ICS at all. I've also been pretty happy about the support that the first GS has gotten in terms of updates. I think it originally shipped with 2.1 and has been upgraded all the way to latest 2.3.x. They also brought TW in line with GS2 which is nice. I can't really expect them to upgrade it to ICS since the specs are kind of low.

One X is definitely better looking device, but the international version has Tegra 3 draining the battery so that is kind of a bummer hardware wise. I would much prefer the improved battery life of a US version. SGS3 cheapo build is somewhat redeemed by having microSD slot and replaceable battery. PenTile screen is a bit of a unknown for me since i have never seen one live, so i definitely need to test the device on store before buying.

Cipherr

Damn. I'm definitely warming to this phone after the initial disappointment. White model seems quite nice looking actually, it's just the material choice that's a bit disappointing. Considering that i'm using the first Galaxy S, this would be a huge upgrade for me.

I'm not even in a TW hate camp as it has pretty much just improved upon the stock os in 2.3 android version. New TW looks pretty nice. A lot more like ICS than Sense which does not look like ICS at all. I've also been pretty happy about the support that the first GS has gotten in terms of updates. I think it originally shipped with 2.1 and has been upgraded all the way to latest 2.3.x. They also brought TW in line with GS2 which is nice. I can't really expect them to upgrade it to ICS since the specs are kind of low.

One X is definitely better looking device, but the international version has Tegra 3 draining the battery so that is kind of a bummer hardware wise. I would much prefer the improved battery life of a US version. SGS3 cheapo build is somewhat redeemed by having microSD slot and replaceable battery. PenTile screen is a bit of a unknown for me since i have never seen one live, so i definitely need to test the device on store before buying.

I am too, Ive been swaying back and forth so much in the last 2 days that I think I have decided to hold off. I want to see what comes of the US version of the GS3. Get some reviews on it and whatnot. Im gonna hang around and wait on that.

I think I'm going with the Galaxy note, it's not that much bigger and comes with a stylus.
The souped up innards of the S3 might also result in the Note lasting longer battery-wise.

well, the Note SHOULD last longer purely because it has a bigger battery, but the 32nm Exynos Quad in the S3 should be more power efficient than the 45nm Exynos in the Galaxy Note.

Galaxy S is Pentile, it's just Galaxy S2 that is RGB stripe. You've been using Pentile all along, and at a much smaller DPI too where it should be more noticeable.

zedge

well, the Note SHOULD last longer purely because it has a bigger battery, but the 32nm Exynos Quad in the S3 should be more power efficient than the 45nm Exynos in the Galaxy Note.

Galaxy S is Pentile, it's just Galaxy S2 that is RGB stripe. You've been using Pentile all along, and at a much smaller DPI too where it should be more noticeable.

I never noticed the pentile on my old gs1 like I do on my nexus. Strange.

Cipherr

i don't understand the love for the Lumia .... nice outter shell ... but again the screen looks stupid. windows doesn't help with it's narrow lists etc ..but just gives this impression of a tiny low rez screen plopped on the novelty body..

one x looks far better than any of those nokias

Yeah the Lumia is a great looking phone. What I like is the way the colors can match the tiles. Makes for a nice visual. But still the One X is fucking gorgeous and apes the Lumia 900 for best looking smartphone in every way. Not even close. Looks dont matter all that much though.

When is a new Galaxy Note due out?

Always end of the year. Will be around the time the next iPhone comes around. Im not sure you should expect a bleeding edge device from the Nexus line though. The S was a pretty big deal tech wise, but most of the time they seem to be mere middle of the road hardware wise.

A Nexus phones value generally lies in having vanilla Android, not top of the line brand new internals. The hardware manufacturers save that stuff for their own flagship phones. Kinda sucks..

Blackhead

Redarse
When is a new Galaxy Note due out?
Always end of the year. Will be around the time the next iPhone comes around. Im not sure you should expect a bleeding edge device from the Nexus line though. The S was a pretty big deal tech wise, but most of the time they seem to be mere middle of the road hardware wise.

A Nexus phones value generally lies in having vanilla Android, not top of the line brand new internals. The hardware manufacturers save that stuff for their own flagship phones. Kinda sucks..
Galaxy Note not Galaxy Nexus.

Sagitario

The more I see the phone, the more I want it.
If it wasn't pentile, I wouldn't even think about it (I would upgrade from my SII asap).

LeleSocho

Banned
Can i ask to the guys with an S2 why they want to upgrade?
Your phone doesn't work anymore? You are not happy with the phone? Your phone doesn't perform well(lol)? You have a shitload of money to waste?
Have you ever considered to keep the phone more than one year?

rozay

Banned
How often do you hold a magnifying glass up to the phone or squint really hard to view the individual pixels?
it's not so much the pixels as the banding, grain texture on the screen, poor whites and discolorations that are present in varying amounts on most pentile screens

Xzior

Your phone doesn't work anymore? You are not happy with the phone? Your phone doesn't perform well(lol)? You have a shitload of money to waste?
It's a new phone, gimme... oh shiny..... SQUIRREL!!!

Your phone doesn't work anymore?

It works fine.

You are not happy with the phone?

I'm very happy with it, though the Yamaha DAC was a let down. The Wolfson DAC in the SGS3 will mean superior sound quality.

Your phone doesn't perform well(lol)?

Yes it does (lol).

You have a shitload of money to waste?

I got money I can waste, but I'm not in the habit of spendig my money if not neccessary.

Have you ever considered to keep the phone more than one year
Yes, will probably keep my SGS2 another year.

thirty

Banned
it's not so much the pixels as the banding, grain texture on the screen, poor whites and discolorations that are present in varying amounts on most pentile screens

Exactly. I don't see why people don't understand this. You don't have to hold the phone up to your face to see the difference. It's obvious if you know that there's different screen technologies.

Doopliss

You've just described AMOLED screens in general. Well, except the colour banding, that's just down to Samsung cranking up the image sharpness on their phones. My GS2 had all 4 of the features you mentioned.

The S2's screen is low-res, after getting a glimpse of these new-fangled high PPI screens you can't go back to that garbage.

zedge

The S2's screen is low-res, after getting a glimpse of these new-fangled high PPI screens you can't go back to that garbage.

This. Even though the screen on my GS2 looks better than my Nexus as far as color, whites, etc go, I love the higher resolution of the Nexus.

darkwing

it's the screen res, after seeing the higher res screens I can't read anymore on lower res

Xzior

so why hasn't a big deal been made about the GS3 going back to a Wolfson for audio? has nobody used Voodoo Sound on their GS1? that shit is AMAZING!

Probably because most people don't care about sound quality and are happy to use the crappy headphones the manufacturer include with the phones. For me the Wolfson DAC is what makes me even think about upgrading from the SGS2 (ok, not the only reason, but the strongest and most important for me).

Gattsu25

Banned
Probably because most people don't care about sound quality and are happy to use the crappy headphones the manufacturer include with the phones. For me the Wolfson DAC is what makes me even think about upgrading from the SGS2 (ok, not the only reason, but the strongest and most important for me).
Speaking of...how good is the media player on the Galaxy S branded phones? is it a stock media player or custom?

More importantly, is it any good as a media organizer and player and if not what is better out there?

Top Bottom