• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

zedge

Get that US stuff away, this is a real SII:

galaxy-s2-offers.jpg

So good...

Hi five!! Preach it. I hope Bell here (Canada) continues with getting the proper international versions of the Galaxy line, not these basterdized carrier ones. Bleh

zbeeb

why are the home and capacitive buttons set so low? There is a huge space between the screen and the buttons...

not-rounded-icons_thumb.jpg

All I can think of is Samsung is going to stick their logo their for US versions so ATT, verizon, etc can be at the top.

SimleuqiR

The hate for the S3 is stupids, lets says Samsung put an ARM A15 dual core in it with a quad core GPU, 720P Amoled HD+, ceramic body but then you must think what can Samsung do to improve with the galaxy s4 next year? yep not much they can improve, i agree this is not the big jump from the S1 to S2 but its better than the iphone 4g to 4s jump and you also get removable battery, micro sd and 2 colors to choose from at launch and those options are not there with the other top smartphones on the market right now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The hate for the S3 is stupids, lets says Samsung put an ARM A15 dual core in it with a quad core GPU, 720P Amoled HD+, ceramic body but then you must think what can Samsung do to improve with the galaxy s4 next year? yep not much they can improve, i agree this is not the big jump from the S1 to S2 but its better than the iphone 4g to 4s jump and you also get removable battery, micro sd and 2 colors to choose from at launch and those options are not there with the other top smartphones on the market right now.

No, because the iPhone 4 to 4S jump involved still keeping a beautiful design. The S3 could have at least not be a plastic piece of shit. Their whole presentation was trying so hard to be grown up. Make the phone not a Playskool replica.

I don't care about specs, for the most part. They're meaningless as the phones are good enough. Those on here talking about benchmarks as a dispositive factor in their choice of phone are crazy.

Circle T

Best Galaxy is sad that you forgot about him :(

No, because the iPhone 4 to 4S jump involved still keeping a beautiful design. The S3 could have at least not be a plastic piece of shit. Their whole presentation was trying so hard to be grown up. Make the phone not a Playskool replica.

I don't care about specs, for the most part. They're meaningless as the phones are good enough. Those on here talking about benchmarks as a dispositive factor in their choice of phone are crazy.

If you're referring to the "keynote", I found that to be the most interesting part of this whole thing. Taking another page out of Apple's playbook, putting on a big press conference in the same style as Apple's to launch a phone.

For Apple it works because they do one phone a year, so it become an event. (You can debate the merits of that.) How many phones does Samsung do per year? Furthermore, how many Android "superphones" are released per year?

zedge

LOL.. I dont get this plastic hate. I'll drop my plastic piece of shit and you drop your metal and glass device, lets see who comes out on top. I am actually more scared to drop my nexus than my Gs2 due to the metal sides it has.

If you're referring to the "keynote", I found that to be the most interesting part of this whole thing. Taking another page out of Apple's playbook, putting on a big press conference in the same style as Apple's to launch a phone.

For Apple it works because they do one phone a year, so it become an event. (You can debate the merits of that.) How many phones does Samsung do per year? Furthermore, how many Android "superphones" are released per year?

Theres really only one flagship per year, Samsung anyway.

tino

Banned

SII was overrated by the press and consensus last year. IMO it was surpassed by Galaxy Nexus 1 month after release in the US, and in the international market it was surpassed by both Sensation XL and Galaxy Note a few months later.

I think SIII will be the best android phone for longer period of time this year both in the US market and the international market. I just don't see Moto or Sony making a better phone with a more "complete" spec sheet.

Vald was not the only idiot who overrated SII. That dude/dudette from Engagdget Mobile tried to have oral sex with the SGS2 in every podcast.

nib95

Banned

I think this is pretty BS tbh. Without the specs you couldn't do things like have a full 1080p video running whilst also doing whatever else you want in the background and then tap back to full screen video in one click. That or take burst shots at 3+ 8mp shots a second. Or take a 6mp shot instantly at any time whilst also recording in 1080p at the same time etc etc.

People downplay sepcs as unnecessary, but they're clearly not. The more the hardware advances the more software functionality can be had. Same thing with the 4S and it's introduction to Siri. It greatly benefits from that extra processing power and/or ram. More so when you start getting in to HD screen resolutions.

EDIT: Also, the body is made from polycarbonate. Highly durable, much more so than glass, plastic or metal due to retention. It just looks a bit plastic and cheap due to the gloss. Imo they should have gone with a matt or slightly rubberised finish.

Acrylic vs Polycarbonate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsls5ZPCUnE

zedge

SII was overrated by the press and consensus last year. IMO it was surpassed by Galaxy Nexus 1 month after release in the US..

Thats debatable.. Exynos, Super Amoled +, SD card slot, Smoother and faster, even with Touchwiz, Camera that is not shit > Galaxy Nexus.

I have both.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LOL.. I dont get this plastic hate. I'll drop my plastic piece of shit and you drop your metal and glass device, lets see who comes out on top. I am actually more scared to drop my nexus than my Gs2 due to the metal sides it has.
Are we really going to judge a phone based on dropping it? Do you drink out of sippy cups, too? I don't drop my phones, anyway. Give me the best design.

zedge

Are we really going to judge a phone based on dropping it? Do you drink out of sippy cups, too? I don't drop my phones, anyway. Give me the best design.

You can complain about the design, thats fine, but that is a matter of taste really. Plastic is not some fragile material, its probably more durable than metal or other materials. I wouldnt want some ceramic crap that will shatter or crack easily. The phone needs to be durable and I don't want to hide it in some hideous case to protect it. Anyway, I think the GS3 looks pretty good. But so does the one X, which is also plastic. I would still go with the GS3 if I had a choice though.

kehs

Banned
I take my comment back about this looking like a refined galaxy nexus. After looking at hands on and videos...this thing is plain jane all the way.

tokkun

Are you actually mocking someone for judging something based on a functional reason rather than a purely aesthetic one?

pxleyes

Banned
Samsung could've skipped all this legal nonsense if they had gone vanilla Android from the get go ^_^

Oh you! ;)

When you put the SII and SIII side by side, it is clear the SIII is superior in style. The unique curves set it apart, and I think it is more reminiscent of the Nexus series of devices. Those curves could define the Android style of phone, and I think that could be a good thing. Dare I say the whole 'design by lawyers' issue could actually end up being a positive? Why not?

1080p pressure sensitive hyper accurate multitouch septacore 5.1 speakers 14MP 4K video recording or 1080p60 video recording, kevlar

and the jump from S1 to S2 was big? what did they REALLY add? S1 had a beast GPU, S2 improved, but not much. AMOLED+ vs AMOLED is better, but a big jump? no. audio quality actually DECREASED!!!

well, that confirms it, you're a joke character.

markot

Banned
I was able to crack my gorilla glass screen with my Nokia n8 awhile back >.<; so year, not breaking if dropped is a big deal.

SII was overrated by the press and consensus last year. IMO it was surpassed by Galaxy Nexus 1 month after release in the US, and in the international market it was surpassed by both Sensation XL and Galaxy Note a few months later.

I think SIII will be the best android phone for longer period of time this year both in the US market and the international market. I just don't see Moto or Sony making a better phone with a more "complete" spec sheet.

Vald was not the only idiot who overrated SII. That dude/dudette from Engagdget Mobile tried to have oral sex with the SGS2 in every podcast.

Galaxy Nexus had a better display, and if you want to pull the "in the US" card, then we can also toss out "pure Google" as a benefit too because the toro is a joke.

sensation.. comedian?

i'll give you the Galaxy Note, but i'm sure a ton of others will cry "too big!"

Toki767

I will probably be getting the S3 come July...mainly because the One X bootloader is locked for AT&T. That and I like Samsung's task manager more than HTC's. At this point the only thing that would change my mind is if the S4 ends up performing worse on the S3 than the One X but I don't see that happening.

Cipherr

I will probably be getting the S3 come July...mainly because the One X bootloader is locked for AT&T. That and I like Samsung's task manager more than HTC's. At this point the only thing that would change my mind is if the S4 ends up performing worse on the S3 than the One X but I don't see that happening.

I can totally see choosing the GS3 for those reasons. All in all, both are really great phones.

tino

Banned
Galaxy Nexus had a better display, and if you want to pull the "in the US" card, then we can also toss out "pure Google" as a benefit too because the toro is a joke.

sensation.. comedian?

i'll give you the Galaxy Note, but i'm sure a ton of others will cry "too big!"

I am just explaining the journalist backlash of the S3. I don't really care if you agree with my ranking of the phones.

I think people who spend so much time/energy on the look and material of the phones are stupid. I couldn't care less. If you take a look at a different consumer product category, say camera, oobody cares how good a camera look. Only 14 year old girls care about the looks of their cameras.

I think nowadays you can let your personal hardware feature preference to pick the phone for you. They are all pretty good.

rozay

Banned
1080p pressure sensitive hyper accurate multitouch septacore 5.1 speakers 14MP 4K video recording or 1080p60 video recording, kevlar

and the jump from S1 to S2 was big? what did they REALLY add? S1 had a beast GPU, S2 improved, but not much. AMOLED+ vs AMOLED is better, but a big jump? no. audio quality actually DECREASED!!!

well, that confirms it, you're a joke character.
S1 to S2 was a pretty big jump though, the camera, screen, cpu and gpu were all incredibly competitive for 2011 and it had features most phones at that point didnt like HDMI via adapter, USB host(hell even the nexus doesn't have this out of the box) and was all around one of the best phones you could buy last year. the phone still has better benchmarks than a lot of phones releasing in the first part of 2012. I don't really understand how the GPU wasn't improved much when the Mali 400 is better than anything in the majority of S4 phones this year.

GS3 doesn't look to be as big of a jump on the surface but we've already seen the internals are no joke. I think 80% of my hate for the phone's design goes to the bland ass back cover. They should've kept the same style with the bump as the GS2, nexus S and galaxy nexus.

I am just explaining the journalist backlash of the S3. I don't really care if you agree with my ranking of the phones.

I think people who spend so much time/energy on the look and material of the phones are stupid. I couldn't care less. If you take a look at a different consumer product category, say camera, oobody cares how good a camera look. Only 14 year old girls care about the looks of their cameras.

I think nowadays you can let your personal hardware feature preference to pick the phone for you. They are all pretty good.
You just said the hardware is "all pretty good," how are aesthetics not a valid preference to choose a phone at that point?

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Why couldn't they have made it a manly rectangle, I know it's shallow but I really don't like the look of the phone :(
I'm due an upgrade and my network (Three UK) is offering it as a preorder, free with the One Plan, shipping on or before the 30th May. I'm tempted to get an S2 or Galaxy Note instead. I'm currently rocking a crappy HTC Wildfire S, basically a Fisher Price Android phone :(

Toki767

Why couldn't they have made it a manly rectangle, I know it's shallow but I really don't like the look of the phone :(
I'm due an upgrade and my network (Three UK) is offering it as a preorder, free with the One Plan, shipping on or before the 30th May. I'm tempted to get an S2 or Galaxy Note instead. I'm currently rocking a crappy HTC Wildfire S, basically a Fisher Price Android phone :(

While it may look ugly, at least most people say it's fairly ergonomic to hold which I feel is a better tradeoff.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
While it may look ugly, at least most people say it's fairly ergonomic to hold which I feel is a better tradeoff.
I hear that, but I think I'd shudder every time I looked at it. Whichever phone I buy I want to use for 2 years or more, this is my first time getting an expensive/premium phone so I want to get it right first time. The Note is getting more and more attractive by the minute despite its gargantuan size!

Kyoufu

I hear that, but I think I'd shudder every time I looked at it. Whichever phone I buy I want to use for 2 years or more, this is my first time getting an expensive/premium phone so I want to get it right first time. The Note is getting more and more attractive by the minute despite its gargantuan size!

Dat hyperbole.

Looks like a phone to me.

GCX

I wish some company would take the next step in smartphone design. Why every phone has to be a boring black or white?

123rl

The problem is that Apple completely nailed it two years ago with the iPhone 4 and now the competition are afraid to do anything differently. A rectangle with a large screen, small frame, and a Home button is now the default shape of a modern smartphone. Nokia are one of the very few who have made any effort to really try something new with the Lumia and look what happened. The phone looks incredible but it's a massive flop for them

sun-drop

. I think 80% of my hate for the phone's design goes to the bland ass back cover. They should've kept the same style with the bump as the GS2, nexus S and galaxy nexus.

this ....

which is pissing me off actually. normally i'd pick a black phone over a white one any day ..due to me liking that whole screen blending into the phone look ... but i think the back of the dark GS3 looks so plastic ..the front not so much though....

for this reason alone i might hold off pre ordering until i have both in hand ... but i will be getting one of these for sure.

the rest of the phone looks great imo, it's like 90% screen anyways ..and a really tiny amount of phone top or bottom. it's thin. they just fucked up the back :/

LordAlu

If you can get the S2 on a 12 month contract I'd probably get that myself, I prefer the look of the international S2 over this S3, and whilst the improvements are nice I'm not sure it is quite justified in the contract cost.

If you can get it on a 12 month then you can upgrade when the next round of phones arrive, and hopefully they'll have a better aesthetic design than the S3.

Top Bottom