• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Darkkn

Nokia are one of the very few who have made any effort to really try something new with the Lumia and look what happened. The phone looks incredible but it's a massive flop for them

Well the design is the one thing that helped it sell as many as it did. It did not sell well due many problems aside from design.
Design alone does not matter if other things are not there, but it is an crucial feature of high end flagship device in today's marketplace. IMO.

S1 to S2 was a pretty big jump though, the camera, screen, cpu and gpu were all incredibly competitive for 2011 and it had features most phones at that point didnt like HDMI via adapter, USB host(hell even the nexus doesn't have this out of the box) and was all around one of the best phones you could buy last year. the phone still has better benchmarks than a lot of phones releasing in the first part of 2012. I don't really understand how the GPU wasn't improved much when the Mali 400 is better than anything in the majority of S4 phones this year.

GS3 doesn't look to be as big of a jump on the surface but we've already seen the internals are no joke. I think 80% of my hate for the phone's design goes to the bland ass back cover. They should've kept the same style with the bump as the GS2, nexus S and galaxy nexus.

You just said the hardware is "all pretty good," how are aesthetics not a valid preference to choose a phone at that point?

S1 was competitive with phones released later and had features like video out via the headphone jack with an adapter and was all around one of the best phones you could buy, etc, bla, bla... better benchmarks than newer phones bla bla... and the GPU in it was beating the bricks off phones released later etc, bla bla...

The problem is that Apple completely nailed it two years ago with the iPhone 4 and now the competition are afraid to do anything differently. A rectangle with a large screen, small frame, and a Home button is now the default shape of a modern smartphone. Nokia are one of the very few who have made any effort to really try something new with the Lumia and look what happened. The phone looks incredible but it's a massive flop for them

the phone looks like a child's plaything. also, many retailers said it would have been easier for them to sell if it ran Android, so there's that too...

sun-drop

i don't understand the love for the Lumia .... nice outter shell ... but again the screen looks stupid. windows doesn't help with it's narrow lists etc ..but just gives this impression of a tiny low rez screen plopped on the novelty body..

one x looks far better than any of those nokias

Blablurn

i don't understand the love for the Lumia .... nice outter shell ... but again the screen looks stupid. windows doesn't help with it's narrow lists etc ..but just gives this impression of a tiny low rez screen plopped on the novelty body..

one x looks far better than any of those nokias

it doesnt look like 99% of all current cellphones out there. and wp7 is not too bad either.

I wish some company would take the next step in smartphone design. Why every phone has to be a boring black or white?

nl8.jpg

P1010051_610x457.jpg

IMG_5430-520x346.jpg

IMG_5423-520x346.jpg

zedge

I like WP7, however I am not a big fan of the Lumia after seeing and holding it in person. Harsh cold edges, feels like a brick in the hand. Nice material but I prefer the more curved edges, rounded design of other phones.

Large as fuck:

galaxy_s_iii_iphone.jpg

No, the iphone is just tiny.. look at that puny screen.. ;)

This is large..

Note-vs-iphone.jpg

zedge

It's...it's not that much smaller than the Note, Zedge

Looks the same size as a G Nex which is fine with me, have one. The Note is over the edge for me, looks quite a bit bigger in that pic above, especially for a phone you just carry around in your pocket for everyday use.

i love the large screen of the high end androids, and i cant wait for the back pedalling from apple fans when the new iphone comes out and is just as big

tino

Banned
S1 to S2 was a pretty big jump though, the camera, screen, cpu and gpu were all incredibly competitive for 2011 and it had features most phones at that point didnt like HDMI via adapter, USB host(hell even the nexus doesn't have this out of the box) and was all around one of the best phones you could buy last year. the phone still has better benchmarks than a lot of phones releasing in the first part of 2012. I don't really understand how the GPU wasn't improved much when the Mali 400 is better than anything in the majority of S4 phones this year.

GS3 doesn't look to be as big of a jump on the surface but we've already seen the internals are no joke. I think 80% of my hate for the phone's design goes to the bland ass back cover. They should've kept the same style with the bump as the GS2, nexus S and galaxy nexus.

You just said the hardware is "all pretty good," how are aesthetics not a valid preference to choose a phone at that point?

You missed the part about hardware preference. If they all have the same sized screen, unlocked bootloader and battery size, then I will let aesthetics make decision for me.

The only Android phones I personally found visually appealing are Droid X and Razr Maxx, so your taste may vary.

Xun

No, the iphone is just tiny.. look at that puny screen.. ;)

This is large..

Note-vs-iphone.jpg
The size between the S3 and the Note really isn't that different.

This shot only makes me hate the small screen on my 4S. I can't wait to go back to Android.
Fair enough.

Do you avoid larger pair of breasts because your hands can't cover them?
I just personally find the 4/4S to be the perfect size for a phone.

I don't want a large phone in my pocket.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i dont understand why people want a clear winner for the phone wars. sure it makes the choice easier but it's bad for competition. theres good reasons to get the one x, s3, nexus or even the new lg phone and so everyone can flourish

jey_16

Banned
The more I see this phone, the more I love it. Especially blue model, in some pictures you can really see the brushed metal effect on the front and it looks great. The only flaw would be the glossy back but a case takes care of that.

The verge really seems to have it out for the s3, I was listening to the podcast and they basically spent 1/2 hr trashing it, I have never heard people hate a phone that much and I think only one of them had actually used it.

sun-drop

iphones don't appeal to me at all .... but i use my phone for web/social tasks .. if some one i know asks what phone they shud buy , i ask them if they are heavily invested in itunes and music ..if so then iphone is not a bad device.

i think alot of iphone users are still ipod converts ... it's really still a ipod that makes calls ... and those people don't want a hulking screen etc. i think thats where jobs was coming from re hating on the large phones.

for me tho ... for the sake of about 4mm i get a 4.8" HD screen upgrade over my S2 ..pretty amazing

gsmarena_019.jpg

Emily Chu

Banned
i dont understand why people want a clear winner for the phone wars. sure it makes the choice easier but it's bad for competition. theres good reasons to get the one x, s3, nexus or even the new lg phone and so everyone can flourish

Money is limited and I want the best phone in the universe.... or ahem galaxy...

talking about 1080p GODAMOLED HD+ 8 GB RAM 5.0"

well basically I was expecting GSIII to just say pretty much FUCK YOU to every other phone

but a last I'll just stick with my US verizon Gnex

thirty

Banned
The problem is that Apple completely nailed it two years ago with the iPhone 4 and now the competition are afraid to do anything differently. A rectangle with a large screen, small frame, and a Home button is now the default shape of a modern smartphone. Nokia are one of the very few who have made any effort to really try something new with the Lumia and look what happened. The phone looks incredible but it's a massive flop for them
I think the one x is a nice medium between Nokia's design and everything else out there today

-PXG-

Smart Stay is gonna be such a energy hog. The screen being on longer, plus the front facing camera always being use....Yeah...no wonder they gave it a bigger batter :p

nib95

Banned
Smart Stay is gonna be such a energy hog. The screen being on longer, plus the front facing camera always being use....Yeah...no wonder they gave it a bigger batter :p

You never know. Plus, you could always just turn it off if you didn't want it and then get even more battery life. Win win really. But 2100mAh is mad. Especially considering the screen is more energy efficient than the S2's and the CPU quicker and more energy efficient than the One X's.

Can't wait to see a full blown comparison. I'm pretty bitter about the fact that the 64GB is not coming out straight away. Seeing as how it would have been free for me either way. Oh well, 32GB plus 64GB Micro SD will have to do!

Cheebo

Banned
There is no point to gigantic phones with tablets selling like crazy. I don't get it. Oh well. I guess if someone doesn't want to get a tablet yet.

You can have good design without it being fragile. You can have good design without it looking like a cheap POS phone.

too bad nobody makes phones that have all of the above... at least according to your standards of beauty.

well, at least too bad for you... i'm in the next galaxy where they do make phones that have all of the above.

tino

Banned
For the next phone with a AMOLED screen, I would like a low power mode where you underclock the cpu and only use the bottom half of the screen.

I know it will be made fun off by the iPhone users, but I think it will be very handy.

Love the S3 front in white but not really the back.. can anyone confirm whether the back is replaceable? We saw some images of back covers in the last few pages but seen no mention of the back plate being replaceable.

Would love a matte, rubberised finish.

Love the S3 front in white but not really the back.. can anyone confirm whether the back is replaceable? We saw some images of back covers in the last few pages but seen no mention of the back plate being replaceable.

Would love a matte, rubberised finish.

the different backs are replacements, not covers. they have the same tabs as the original plates

Top Bottom