• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

tino

Banned
Pentaband is not important anymore. TMobile will make 3G available to regular ATT and international GSM phones by the end of the year.

Avixph

They have to start being able to piggy back on At&t's network. Didn't they get the ability to utilize At&t's 850 spectrum from the failed merger?

T-mobile is kinda in a mess. Everyone has LTE plans and T-mobile is still playing with super HSDPA.
T-Mobile is planning an LTE network.

thats the beauty of touchwiz ...it's pretty much just cosmetic these days ... apart from the pretty useful additions sammy adds. and they ad fuctionality ...not bullshit uncalled for redoing of ICS stuff that works already, like the task switcher.

anyways, unboxing.

http://youtu.be/eAs3ZiPQl-U

edit holy shit @ popup video running while the dude is playing shadow gun :eek:

DUAL CLOCK ON LOCK SCREEN option.. trolling DAT SMOKED BY WINDOWS contest

and damn, all of those quick cuts hurt my head

nib95

Banned
Might be a slightly inflammatory post but fuck it, honestly I can't wait to be rid of this 4S and make the switch. I love so many things about it (especially the camera) but I just have so much bad luck with it.

Mines been swapped 3 times now and even this one is giving me issues now. First two because the main home button started getting seriously unresponsive, third because it kept crashing and now this one is giving me software issues too. Dropped calls, texts not sending. Safari randomly freezing and refusing to load anything. Other things annoy the hell out of me too, like Google Maps. So much worse than on Android. No voice navigation I can live with, but why does it always give me this figure of 8 recalibration message and go loopy spinning me in circles and all sorts?

I know a lot of people are highly satisfied with the iPhones, but having owned and used the last 3 versions, for me enough is enough. Only other phone I've had this many issues with was the Sony Ericsson P910i. Come to think of it, the 3GS was far less problematic overall for me than both the 4 and 4S.

kehs

Banned
Oh cool, they left the android beam fully intact, that's good to see. I was sure they had over ridden it.

e: the news ticker from the continuum lives! ahaha

I'm curious if all those cool lock screen options disappear if you set a pin or gesture lock.

So, the buttons on the GS3 light up every time you interact with the screen and then turn off? That looks super annoying for games, possibly more annoying that the three dimmed dots on the GN.

Xzior

So, the buttons on the GS3 light up every time you interact with the screen and then turn off? That looks super annoying for games, possibly more annoying that the three dimmed dots on the GN.

On the GS2 you can have the buttons light up for 1.5s, 6s, always off, always on or have them turn on only in darkness. My guess is that the same is true for the GS3, and I haven't found this to be annoying when using the phone.

Toki767

After playing around with the S-Voice program for a bit, it looks like Samsung just made some edits to Vlingo. If you have S-Voice tweet or make a Facebook update for you, it asks for authorization from Vlingo.

After playing around with the S-Voice program for a bit, it looks like Samsung just made some edits to Vlingo. If you have S-Voice tweet or make a Facebook update for you, it asks for authorization from Vlingo.

isn't that what they used with the GS2? improving on it would be par for the course...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Might be a slightly inflammatory post but fuck it, honestly I can't wait to be rid of this 4S and make the switch. I love so many things about it (especially the camera) but I just have so much bad luck with it.

Mines been swapped 3 times now and even this one is giving me issues now. First two because the main home button started getting seriously unresponsive, third because it kept crashing and now this one is giving me software issues too. Dropped calls, texts not sending. Safari randomly freezing and refusing to load anything. Other things annoy the hell out of me too, like Google Maps. So much worse than on Android. No voice navigation I can live with, but why does it always give me this figure of 8 recalibration message and go loopy spinning me in circles and all sorts?

I know a lot of people are highly satisfied with the iPhones, but having owned and used the last 3 versions, for me enough is enough. Only other phone I've had this many issues with was the Sony Ericsson P910i. Come to think of it, the 3GS was far less problematic overall for me than both the 4 and 4S.
If you're expecting LESS problems with an Android phone, well, you're in for a surprise.

I'd say change if you're looking for change. Not to have a problem free experience.

kehs

Banned
On the GS2 you can have the buttons light up for 1.5s, 6s, always off, always on or have them turn on only in darkness. My guess is that the same is true for the GS3, and I haven't found this to be annoying when using the phone.

Oh that's cool, always a fan of having options. Good to see sammy is doing that.

GSM Arena's Galaxy S III review.

didn't see if it was posted already.
so much damage control!!!

In case you were worried about the PenTile matrix that the Galaxy S III employs - well, don't be. You'd need to be looking from such close range that your eyes will hurt before you notice any difference. It's plain to see that the HD PenTile screen of the S III is sharper than the RGB WVGA unit on the Galaxy S II, despite the increased screen size. It's just that at these ppi levels the differences are extremely hard to spot, so PenTile is nothing to be worried about.
or maybe all the reviewers are just ... right?

Altazor

maybe... just maybe :p

anyway, I don't really care about PenTile to be honest. I have a Galaxy S and while I notice it, it doesn't bother me. It's "there". Plus the screen is great (or it was back when it was released :p)

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Not really seeing the damage control concerning the screen. Their impressions are right along mine as a Galaxy Nexus user. The only thing you should be concerned about is Samsungs terrible quality control.

Styles

GSMarena's in-depth review: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-review-761.php

Main disadvantages

All-plastic body of dubious aesthetics
No dedicated camera key
microSIM slot
S Voice is hardly as functional as ads might make you believe

Just for comparison sake here were the One X's Main disadvantages

No microSD card slot, no alternative options in terms of storage
No dedicated camera key
Non-user-accessible battery

I find it hilarious that they would place S voice as a disadvantage given that its' optional software.

Toki767

I find it hilarious that they would place S voice as a disadvantage given that its' optional software.

I find it hilarious that they'd even say that using a microSIM slot is a disadvantage. It must be a disadvantage for the iPhone and One X too right?

Styles

I find it hilarious that they'd even say that using a microSIM slot is a disadvantage. It must be a disadvantage for the iPhone and One X too right?

Those disadvantages were from the AT&T's version of the One X. The international One X didn't fare as well. My mistake.

I was on the brink of buying a One X then I decided to wait until after my vacation.

I'll get my phone first or second week of July. I guess by then more people will have hands on on the SIII and I will know which way to go.

Personally I still think the HTC looks tons better, and the specifications are not big of a difference. I'm more concerned about the user-friendliness (switching from BB)

they have to fill the list with ... something ...

so they drop in s voice and micro sim and "plastic" when other devices with polycarbonate bodies and no s voice and micro sims get a pass

if the only negative was "no camera button" it would feel lonely.

kehs

Banned
Bad news for dealers and cheating husbands!

(Can't you get an adapter for micro-sim -> normal sim?)

Probably, but that's the issue I guess, carrying around an adapter, what happens when you accidentally hand it off during a deal, uh oh, can't call the mistress.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hey GAF I have a friend who's ready to upgrade to an LTE phone on Verizon. Do we have a release date on Verizon yet?

GSMarena's in-depth review: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-review-761.php

Main disadvantages

Just for comparison sake here were the One X's Main disadvantages

This review got me super hyped :)

I just hope it comes out before Verizon alters their grandfathered + subsidized stuff.

Edit:

Do we even have a date for the US yet??

Toki767

This review got me super hyped :)

I just hope it comes out before Verizon alters their grandfathered + subsidized stuff.

Edit:

Do we even have a date for the US yet??
All we know is June. We don't even know if all the carriers will get them at the same time or just one in June. T-Mobile's version hit the FCC though. No sign of the others yet.

nib95

Banned
GSM Arena's Galaxy S III review.

didn't see if it was posted already.

Some unusual elements to that review. The disadvantages, S Voice and MicroSD? I thought both would be advantages lol.

And they describe the One X's body as polycarbonate but the S3's as hyperglazed plastic, the S3's is actually also polycarbonate. So the correct comparison would have been polycarbonate unibody vs hyperglazed polycarbonate.

Otherwise very thorough and detailed.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Some unusual elements to that review. The disadvantages, S Voice and MicroSD? I thought both would be advantages lol.

And they describe the One X's body as polycarbonate but the S3's as hyperglazed plastic, the S3's is actually also polycarbonate. So the correct comparison would have been polycarbonate unibody vs hyperglazed polycarbonate.

Otherwise very thorough and detailed.
They claimed that MicroSIM was a disavantage, not having MicroSD.

king zell

2012-05-2213.51.16(600x450).jpg

just got mine

Top Bottom