• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Babalu.

There is so many pages and posts and search sucks so could anyone please answer these couple questions for me:

1. Is the Galaxy S III coming to tmobile?
2. If it is, is there a date or timeframe released yet?
3. And if it is, will it be the same as all the other versions (verizon,att,sprint) because i think the GSII was worse then the other versions wasn't it?
4. What kind of price are phones now adays? I'm still on the Galaxy s 1. Will this thing be $200 with 2 year upgrade? or are they like $300+ now?

Thanks

Al-ibn Kermit

There is so many pages and posts and search sucks so could anyone please answer these couple questions for me:

1. Is the Galaxy S III coming to tmobile?
2. If it is, is there a date or timeframe released yet?
3. And if it is, will it be the same as all the other versions (verizon,att,sprint) because i think the GSII was worse then the other versions wasn't it?
4. What kind of price are phones now adays? I'm still on the Galaxy s 1. Will this thing be $200 with 2 year upgrade? or are they like $300+ now?

Thanks

It hasn't been confirmed but it seems likely that it will come out for T-Mobile, probably in June/July. And I would be very surprised if it was more than $200.

Most likely it will have the same chipset as thd other US versions.

Ashhong

welp, time to upgrade after less than a year

Why? The video was too long for me to watch the entire thing. I didn't see much of a reason to upgrade though other than the screen/camera. The extra software features of the 3 didn't appeal to me, maybe thats why.

Cipherr

Why? The video was too long for me to watch the entire thing. I didn't see much of a reason to upgrade though other than the screen/camera. The extra software features of the 3 didn't appeal to me, maybe thats why.

Better Performance.

New better and added software suite.

Better Screen (Resolution/Pixel Density/Color Accuracy)

Better battery life

Added radio capability (LTE)

Better Cameras and better camera software

Better MicroSD support (from 32 to 64GB)

Better audio playback

Better speakers

Better call quality

I mean, every upgrade of a phone comes down to those things. Whether you upgrade at 1, 2 or 3 years just depends on whether or not you feel those metrics improved enough to be worth the cash. But as to why, its very clear, the S3 one ups its predecessor in every one of those.

Ashhong

Better Performance.

Better battery life

Better audio playback

Better speakers

Better call quality

I mean, every upgrade of a phone comes down to those things. Whether you upgrade at 1, 2 or 3 years just depends on whether or not you feel those metrics improved enough to be worth the cash. But as to why, its very clear, the S3 one ups its predecessor in every one of those.

Yea of course it depends on what you are looking for. To me, none of that warrants an upgrade. My call quality is fine, no complaints. I don't need more than 48gb of data on my phone. Screen with lowered DPI is fantastic, etc etc. But like I said, just depends on the user. I was just wondering what he specifically liked more in the S3 to warrant an upgrade

Also, I noticed you didn't list phone speed and snappiness. Maybe an oversight, but I want to point out that the S2 is still amazingly fast. Haven't had any slowdown yet. Everything is fluid. Off TouchWiz of course.

darkwing

Better Performance.

Better battery life

Better audio playback

Better speakers

Better call quality

these are basically it, the Note was too big, this is like in the middle of the S2 and the Note, perfect, Apple must really have something special for the ip5 (aside from the obviously superior App Store)

I'm torn between the unlock version or wait for the LTE version

S4 krait + possible 2gig of ram + LTE

Or

Exynos quadcore + 1gig of ram + unmolested by ATT.

once you go LTE and able to surf the web and stream HD videos faster than your home wifi, its kinda hard to go back to HSPA+

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, I was already sold on getting this for sure like an hour after the debut, but I always pop in here every other day to see what else is new with the previews, and it just reinforces the fact that it's really the best choice for me to go with this phone - can't wait.

torontoml

So is there a more definitive date as to when this will be releasing.

In the Telus press release it says "in time for summer", which implies before the summer so like the end of May beginning of June?

So is there a more definitive date as to when this will be releasing.

In the Telus press release it says "in time for summer", which implies before the summer so like the end of May beginning of June?

Can get the unlock model as early as the 29th of this month....even sooner to some.

sun-drop

god dam i love my S2 .... i love ray's vids but yeh ... ive never seen a app slow my s2, ever. and ICS TW on the thing flys.

but i've pre ordered the s3 ... just that browser comparsion is enough to warrent it for me. my phone ...i browse the net, music, youtube, twitter .. all can benifit from HD screen and of course tht bigger battery.

but yeh ..s2 ...freaking killer phone. the best thing about the S3 is all those people who will pick up discounted s2's

Internal rumblings in Bell are saying mid June to early July. They want to give this thing a lot of breathing room because apple 5 is still so up in the air.

I was going for htc one x, now all these samsung news, hypes, madness is really tempting me... reading about how touchwiz's not too interfering with ics is nice. Not a fan of sense.

I tried both the htc one v and the htc one s at a product launch the other day. Both phones are decent, definitely not worth getting over the Samsung galaxy s2 hd lte or s3.

Avixph

According to Engadget: Samsung Galaxy S III for T-Mobile hits FCC, brings future-proofed HSPA+ for good measure
There's been hints of it coming as early as February, but we now have a smoking gun at the FCC: the Galaxy S III is coming to T-Mobile. A Samsung SGH-T999 has popped up at the agency sporting newly added 1,700MHz AWS support that's the telltale sign of a T-Mobile device, along with the T999 name itself (the T989 is the network's Galaxy S II). It also totes 850MHz and 1,900MHz WCDMA bands being used for HSPA+ data rather than just voice, a clue that the phone is ready for refarmed GSM spectrum.

Link: www.engadget.com/2012/05/18/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-for-t-mobile-hits-fcc

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lawd hammercy. Dat momentum. And the S3 is clearly a good phone. They are going to coast through the S3 launch on the goodwill from the S2, and folks will be plenty satisfied with the S3. Then next year, 2 year upgrades for the folks who bought the S2 will snowball. Samsung is on tear, step your game up HTC.

To be fair I'd argue the One X is a rather big step up from them. People just don't know that because of their phone offerings from last year gives them nothing to build on unlike the Galaxy S3 building off of the S2. I'd argue the One Series are the best current phones you can walk into a store and buy right now.

To be fair I'd argue the One X is a rather big step up from them. People just don't know that because of their phone offerings from last year gives them nothing to build on unlike the Galaxy S3 building off of the S2. I'd argue the One Series are the best current phones you can walk into a store and buy right now.

The One X is awesome the only drawback is sense 4.0 its garbage.

awesome speed, screen, camera, and its LTE..all in a pretty looking shell.

only if it had pure ICS then it would be perfect.

but once the bootloader is unlocked that wouldnt be an issue...

sun-drop

thats the beauty of touchwiz ...it's pretty much just cosmetic these days ... apart from the pretty useful additions sammy adds. and they ad fuctionality ...not bullshit uncalled for redoing of ICS stuff that works already, like the task switcher.

anyways, unboxing.

http://youtu.be/eAs3ZiPQl-U

edit holy shit @ popup video running while the dude is playing shadow gun :eek:

tino

Banned
You know what's sad about GS3? I just realized the awesome video pop-ip feature, I can't even do it in Windows.

As I am playing the GS2 vs GS3 video in the background tab, I realized all I want to do is press a button, and make the youtube video windows stay on top while I am browsing this thread.

And there is no easy way to do it. I have to download it with firefox, play it on wmc in order to do it. Or I have to do the painful window resizing thing.

When did Windows get outplayed by mobile OS?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
You know what's sad about GS3? I just realize the awesome video pop-ip feature, I can't even do it in Windows.

As I am playing the GS2 vs GS3 video in the background, I realized all I want to do is press a button, and make the youtube video windows stay on top while I am browsing this thread.

And there is no easy way to do it. I have to download it with firefox, play it on wmc in order to do it. Or I have to do the painful window resizing thing.

When did Windows get outplayed by mobile OS?

ya windows is really getting shown up by mobile innovation. if android actually beats windows 8 on tablets windows might be out of the game in 10 years

DMeisterJ

Banned
The GSIII has so many cool and neat tricks that you can do, but I realized I'd never use a huge chunk of them more than once or so for novelty reasons.

ya windows is really getting shown up by mobile innovation. if android actually beats windows 8 on tablets windows might be out of the game in 10 years

and the chances are great. android on tablets is performing better and better and windows 8 has a huge backlash. android tablets will swipe the floor with w8

Styles

P1010297.JPG

Top Bottom