• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Doopliss

2012-05-2213.51.16(600x450).jpg

just got mine
Will you do a drop test for us?

snoopen

very jealous.

i need a new phone and the s3 hasn't been announced in AU.. not a good thing that we're missing out on phone releases.

king zell

Probably too much to ask, all the reviews said it can play MKV flawlessly... Fact or fiction? Subtitle support?

i played some 720p naruto eps with Subtitle and it worked flawlessly (and looked amazing by the way). also played some berserk mkv files with no problem's at all

Altazor

I am REALLY jealous. I want it, but I still have some months to go with my current phone (SGS I), so I'll have to wait.

I'm still undecided whether I'm getting the Pebble Blue or the Marble White. I was firmly in the MW camp when it was released, but then I saw some videos off PB and changed my mind and wanted it instead. Now I just don't know :(

Altazor

Were the subtitles baked in or seperate?

without having the device (yet), I'm sure I've read some reviews in which is stated that de SGS III can play video files with separate subtitles without problem, and that actually, it gives you the choice to choose the sub you want to use, even if it doesn't have the same filename as the video.

tha_devil

without having the device (yet), I'm sure I've read some reviews in which is stated that de SGS III can play video files with separate subtitles without problem, and that actually, it gives you the choice to choose the sub you want to use, even if it doesn't have the same filename as the video.

Please someone confirm this, this would be a very nice feature for me!

ps: allready ordered phone anyways, but would be nice to know for sure :)

Doopliss

Please someone confirm this, this would be a very nice feature for me!

ps: allready ordered phone anyways, but would be nice to know for sure :)
I'm pretty sure any recent Android device can, if not with its stock video player then with MX Player or DicePlayer.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

I would never had expected this for a smartphone out of the box, the pluses just keep coming for me, even if I won't use it to watch movies, wow.

Toki767

I would never had expected this for a smartphone out of the box, the pluses just keep coming for me, even if I won't use it to watch movies, wow.

I'm not too surprised since Samsung TVs and blu-ray players nowadays can also play mkv files if you connect a hard drive to them.

kehs

Banned
For what it's worth DICE player handles separate file subtitles without any problems. However, the subtitles don't show on the MHL output. At least on my GN.

Toki767

Something that I still have not seen when it comes to the Galaxy S III is how the folder icons look. Is it ICS style or iOS style like what HTC did with the One X?

Hmm...so the US versions will have Snapdragon S4 to support LTE and most are assuming it won't use the Wolfson DAC audio either.

Now confused whether I should see if my parents can get me the international version from India or wait for US release. I wish US T-Mobile specs would come out, that is the only one that may use Exynos with Wolfson DAC

Toki767

Hmm...so the US versions will have Snapdragon S4 to support LTE and most are assuming it won't use the Wolfson DAC audio either.

Now confused whether I should see if my parents can get me the international version from India or wait for US release. I wish US T-Mobile specs would come out, that is the only one that may use Exynos with Wolfson DAC

The international version of the phone will only use Edge on T-Mobile. It only supports HSPA+ on AT&T.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

You may be able to purchase one from a Canadian provider. Wind mobile here uses T-mobile bands, don't have LTE and are rumoured to get the SIII.

Top Bottom