• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

sun-drop

the great thing about the S2 when it came out was that it had everything AND the kitchen sink thrown at it..... USB OTG, it has wifi direct built in, ages before ICS came out ..and several others

they bumped up the speed of the cpu cores at the last min when they didn't have to at all ..just to further waste it's rivals.

the only area you could have been disappointed in the device was i guess audio ... the sound chip was downgraded from the previous model ..

but yeh ..device was a beast and it's still one of the most feature complete devices out there. you could argue it runs ICS alot more smoothly than the GN even ...s2 never had performance issues with live wall papers for eg.

just can't really see the S3 making as big a splash simply because i can't think of too many things to add beyond the expected screen upgrade and nfc support. anyways we'll see.

i love oled so as amazing as the one x looks ... i just can't see myself going backwards to unpure blacks..

Sagitario

The SII is such a great phone indeed, but Samsung has to upgrade/update it to keep competing: better components/CPU/screen... a simple evolution and improvements.

nib95

Banned
The iPhone 5 will probably be a substantial upgrade this time around, so the S3 (like the S2 before it) really needs to be ahead of the curve to stay relevant and maintain it's prowess.

Styles

big.jpg
gsmarena_002.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/this_looks_like_a_legit_samsung_galaxy_s3_press_shot-news-4181.php

So that manual pic was real after all.

As expected then, minor update to the nexus form factor, not particularly exciting :/

Recently went from an S2 to an HTC one x, only slight doubt I had over it was what the S3 would be packing. Think I'll stick with my One X :)

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I don't really buy that lettering on the back shot, but the rest of it looks fairly convincing. The front shot would be pretty easy to fake so I can't really say much. All these leaks so far are too Nexus-minded. I imagine Samsung would want to differentiate it a bit more from a phone that will have been out about 6 months.

Only a few more days anyways.

Darkkn

I'm going to be really disappointed if they stick with a crappy plastic materials for the case. Nokia and HTC has managed to get into the Apple territory of HW design and Sammy needs to be able to follow.

_RT_

I'm going to be really disappointed if they stick with a crappy plastic materials for the case. Nokia and HTC has managed to get into the Apple territory of HW design and Sammy needs to be able to follow.

Given the leaks about "design", I'll be really surprised if they don't step up their game.
Almost wondering if that pic is another fake.

Well, Samsung makes phones that sell, they don't need to go into Apple territory of HW design like never-been HTC and has-been Nokia.

gogogow

So it's a Galaxy S2s then. Spec bump and very little else

So pretty much the same with each new generation? Isn't it always like this? i9000 to i9100 was the same. From single to dual core, bigger screen etc.. At least the resolution will be bumped up with the S3, unlike the S2 which stayed at 480p.

ep85

So pretty much the same with each new generation? Isn't it always like this? i9000 to i9100 was the same. From single to dual core, bigger screen etc.. At least the resolution will be bumped up with the S3, unlike the S2 which stayed at 480p.
This year it'll be a clamshell. *crosses fingers*

rozay

Banned
I know it's a fan-made creation but I fucking hate when people make icons that are 100% ambiguous, who the hell would look at the button on the left and think "menu"?

Why the hell would they go against stock android and make the multitask button on the left and back on the right? Google wants to improve android and it seems like these other companies don't care.

edit: DOH it's a fake.

rozay

Banned
happens every time a new iphone comes out as well. People expect all these huge ass changes just for the sake of change.
Well, I at least hope the S3 is as well rounded of a product as its predecessor which was one the best phones released in 2011 and is still a good buy today.

tino

Banned
GSM Arena has updated their article, see below.

Update: The image is confirmed as old and has surfaced before. It's certainly a mockup. Sorry about that, move along.

It's certialy not an amatuer mod up. It's a professional photography done by professional photographers. I don't see any reason why its fake. All the leaks of its look have been consistant so far.

The only suspense is the look of the U.S. versions.

Ashhong

I know it's a fan-made creation but I fucking hate when people make icons that are 100% ambiguous, who the hell would look at the button on the left and think "menu"?

Isn't it the multitasking button? Looks just like the ICS icon minus a few lines

Cipherr

It's certialy not an amatuer mod up. It's a professional photography done by professional photographers

Ive seen better. The Galaxy Nexus mockups and even the older HTC (or maybe it was Samsung, I cant remember) mockups that were all bullshit last year, some of them looked fantastic.

tino

Banned
Ive seen better. The Galaxy Nexus mockups and even the older HTC (or maybe it was Samsung, I cant remember) mockups that were all bullshit last year, some of them looked fantastic.

Well for rumors you just have to learn to smell it. It's a hunch.

I don't win any prize if my guess is right. So I won't elaborate.

gwarm01

I was so excited for this phone, but if the US model ends up being dual core I might pass. Maybe I'll wait for the next Nexus.

rozay

Banned
Isn't it the multitasking button? Looks just like the ICS icon minus a few lines
it's basically the ICS icon without the bottom of the folder, but at least that icon is representative of what it pops up.

I'm not really ragging on only the mockup, ambiguous icons are just a trend I see in apps and websites as they try to make minimalistic and "beautiful" interfaces, but I'll save that for its own thread.

Cipherr

I was so excited for this phone, but if the US model ends up being dual core I might pass. Maybe I'll wait for the next Nexus.

Everything US will be dualcore S4. Noone is going to ship a non LTE phone in the US these days unless it happens to have an Apple logo on the back. The iPhone 5 could get away with it, but anything else would be DOA doing that these days IMO. So either Exynos has LTE capability, which Im almost sure it doesnt, or Snapdragon S4's at or around 1.5ghz for everyone.

Well for rumors you just have to learn to smell it. It's a hunch.

I don't win any prize if my guess is right. So I won't elaborate.

Oh I agree that it will look like that. Samsung has a "look" for their Galaxy S lines, and its very clear that they will likely continue that. All Black slab, physical home button overseas, capacitive or onscreen buttons in the US. No doubt.

Doesn't the dual core S4 do better in almost every single benchmark than the tegra 3? Often times a ton better?

I'm waiting for the nexus regardless, but just sayin'.

longdi

Banned
sgs2 was a hit because it was then by far the best performing android phone....but today the htc one x is so good, i wonder if samsung can repeat the same success with sgs3..the leak specs and design seems ordinary...

black_13

Banned
Man why does Samsung have to be so lazy with their designs? they all really look like sub-par iphone designs.

I like the hardware button but this doesn't seem that impressive over the SG2. Which is good anyway because prices will drop even more for the 2 so I can get that for now.

snacknuts

we all knew her
In the market for a new phone in December. I'm confused. Which is the flagship Android phone? Nexus or this one?

If this doesn't have a shitty pentile screen, it's my pick over the GNex. I'm looking to ditch my iPhone 4S in favor of one of these two devices ASAP.

Top Bottom