• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

For anyone that cares about the battery life.

With 4% left I had 61 hours normal use of Net browsing, playing GTA3, music and video playing. I only put the phone in airplane mode whilst sleeping, for about 6 hours each. Everything turned on, automatic brightness and wifi off when idle. Loads of texting and a few phone calls. Loads of just messing around with it too. Not bad.

EDIT - Oh I also used Navigation with GPS on for about 20 miles (30 odd minutes) too, just to test it out.

sZ3jHl.png

Unicorn

Hmm I forget about airplane mode and the battery saving magic of it. Thanks for this insight and information! ~2 weeks left to wait :/

rozay

Banned
That browser white dimming is pretty handy as an option, would be nice to have on the galaxy nexus browser as I'm sure it would help eek out some more life from the battery when browsing white pages.

Ephemeris

I'm currently at lunch. Probably going to head over to Walmart. If they have the S3 in stock, I'll get it. I need that Jelly in my life, but the hardware is too sweet to pass up, especially when someone ports 4.1 over to it.

With all the carriers using the same phone, should be super easy to find cheap accessories too.

TimeKillr

With 4% left I had 61 hours normal use of Net browsing, playing GTA3, music and video playing. I only put the phone in airplane mode whilst sleeping, for about 6 hours each. Everything turned on, automatic brightness and wifi off when idle. Loads of texting and a few phone calls. Loads of just messing around with it too. Not bad.

EDIT - Oh I also used Navigation with GPS on for about 20 miles (30 odd minutes) too, just to test it out.

See I don't understand.

This morning, I left with my phone at 100%.

I walked to the subway station (5 minutes) while streaming some music. When I got into the metro station, I switched to playing music.

20 minutes later, I get out of the metro, and my battery was at like 75%... All I did was listen to music with it for 20 minutes or so and the thing drains like a bitch.

Just as a kick I kept on listening to music for 15 mins longer, took a walk, went on a facebook once, texted the gf a little bit, and the battery kept going down and down and down like crazy.

Is LTE the culprit here? It's insane how much it drains fast on my phone, I don't quite understand. My guess is it's either LTE or some bloatware I'm not aware of...

Yeah that aint right at all. Download Betterbatterystats from XDA and try CPU spy from the market. They should give you an indication of CPU useage. Your phone should be in Deep Sleep most of the time for normal use.

Try turning off some things like wifi/gps whilst on the train and try another music player to identify the drain.

TimeKillr

Yeah that aint right at all. Download Betterbatterystats from XDA and try CPU spy from the market. They should give you an indication of CPU useage. Your phone should be in Deep Sleep most of the time for normal use.

Try turning off some things like wifi/gps whilst on the train and try another music player to identify the drain.

I just bought Betterbatterystats and CPU spy. Hopefully I'll be able to see something!

Thanks.

barrin87

Went into the local Best Buy and they confirmed that they will be getting the S3 on July 1st. I guess I will be going to try getting it on Sunday.

jokkir

sZ3jHl.png

Screen on time?

TimeKillr

So my phone essentially never goes to sleep. :(

Apparently, according to Betterbatterystats, I have something called *backup* that's keeping the phone awake and draining the battery like a bitch, but I have no clue how to disable it.

Also, when looking at the Battery tab on my phone, the thing that eats up the most resources on my phone is "Android System", which I can see is something called gsiff_daemon.

surly

Banned
I picked up a Nillkin case for my S3: -

aAyrB.jpg

Pros: -

Very well made and fits the phone perfectly.
Adds only a couple of mm extra thickness to the phone.
Cut outs in all the right places.
You can't see it in the pic, but the surface of it is dimpled for extra grip.
Comes with a screen protector and cleaning cloth.
Sides extend just far enough so if the phone is turned over, the screen won't be touching the table.
Available in 6 colours.

Cons: -

This is one of those "shell" cases, so it offers minimum protection, only really covering the back and the sides.

Price: £9.99 on eBay with free delivery.

Someone on another forum I visit said that it also suffers with colour transfer issues, e.g. with dye from your jeans discolouring it, but I haven't experienced that yet. I've only had it for 2 days though, but that could be a pretty bad con if true.

Angst

Apparently, according to Betterbatterystats, I have something called *backup* that's keeping the phone awake and draining the battery like a bitch, but I have no clue how to disable it.

Also, when looking at the Battery tab on my phone, the thing that eats up the most resources on my phone is "Android System", which I can see is something called gsiff_daemon.

*shrugs*

Apps like Betterbatterystats and CPU Spy can make you think too much about what your phone is doing all the time, which is precisely why there are no such apps on the iPhone. If you get satisfactory battery time (i.e. 16 hours or so) then just don't bother fiddling too much with what's going on behind the scenes.

I personally check for alerts in BBB once a week perhaps, if something is seriously out of whack I uninstall the app causing it. If the core services are running amok I just raise my eyebrow...

I got mine a week ago.

Recomend me some free interesting apps, plz.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457282
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406346

TimeKillr

*shrugs*

Apps like Betterbatterystats and CPU Spy can make you think too much about what your phone is doing all the time, which is precisely why there are no such apps on the iPhone. If you get satisfactory battery time (i.e. 16 hours or so) then just don't bother fiddling too much with what's going on behind the scenes.

I personally check for alerts in BBB once a week perhaps, if something is seriously out of whack I uninstall the app causing it. If the core services are running amok I just raise my eyebrow...

Nah see, the thing is my battery went from 100% last night at 10pm to 4% this morning at 9:30 despite me not touching the phone at *all*.

So I definitely have something that's just eating up my battery like a bitch. :)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

Well, there's a "Backup my data" under "Backup and reset" in Settings, reckon that's it? I keep mine checked but haven't noticed my battery draining too awful much. I don't stream music but I do play a lot of games on it, and typically drain it down to 30% or so by the time I plug it in at night before going to bed.

TimeKillr

Well, there's a "Backup my data" under "Backup and reset" in Settings, reckon that's it? I keep mine checked but haven't noticed my battery draining too awful much. I don't stream music but I do play a lot of games on it, and typically drain it down to 30% or so by the time I plug it in at night before going to bed.

I turned that off, now I'm charging my phone, so we'll see what's going on.

sZ3jHl.png

Custom ROM? MODs? Launcher?

Yeah Android System should not be that high, but it can be broken down to a lot of sub processes.

I always have Backup My Data disabled as I've never really have it useful for anything.

Custom ROM? MODs? Launcher?

All stock.

Phoenix

Are there any reviews comparing the US s3 to the nexus? I'm wondering what the performance difference is.

Depends on what you're trying to do. They are really hard to compare side by side because there are things that you'll try to do with the S3 that you just normally wouldn't do with the Nexus unless its your only device (i.e. movie watching and such). From a day to day performance perspective the S3 is substantially faster at gaming and operations involving number crunching like certain video processing applications (no comment), but for the common use cases of web browsing and the like I never really noticed much difference.

atomsk

Party Pooper
anyone have any luck getting PS3 controller to sync over bluetooth? I thought it was possible in ICS without any apps/root

I can get it to work with a USB OTG cable, but no luck having it show up in bluetooth

anyone have any luck getting PS3 controller to sync over bluetooth? I thought it was possible in ICS without any apps/root

I can get it to work with a USB OTG cable, but no luck having it show up in bluetooth

it's not. what's possible in ICS is USB OTG, not Bluetooth. you need an app like Sixaxis Controller for BT sync.

surly

Banned
The Smart Office app is available for free in Samsung Apps (at least in the UK). It says that it's £3 when you look at the list of apps, but once you click on it to install it, the price changes to free. Just a heads up.

My case came in today. it does include a front screen protector (it doesn't completely cover the whole front. Just cut out enough where it protects the area the case doesn't touch.

As for the case itself. it's a silicone sleeve with a hard back.
It doesn't actually add that much bulk or weight to it.

I'll be honest. it's hard to put on. am sure it's hard to get off if you're into buying the silicone sleeve for it.

Overall i like it. <3

The Smart Office app is available for free in Samsung Apps (at least in the UK). It says that it's £3 when you look at the list of apps, but once you click on it to install it, the price changes to free. Just a heads up.

it's on the free apps here too (US)

My case came in today. it does include a front screen protector (it doesn't completely cover the whole front. Just cut out enough where it protects the area the case doesn't touch.

I'll be honest. it's hard to put on. am sure it's hard to get off if you're into buying the silicone sleeve for it.

Overall i like it. <3

How much was it and where did you get it at?

Linkhero1

I just upgraded to this phone for the T-Mo version on Costco's Mobile site. I just need a good case now. Aside from the one on this page, does anyone have any good recommendations?

Toki767

is this in any stores yet ?

It's in very limited supply in stores. I hear Sprint and T-Mobile have them in stores, but AT&T doesn't for the most part. Most Best Buys are saying they will start selling them Sunday. Of course no one knows for sure until it actually happens.

is this in any stores yet ?

A ton of Tmobile stores in my area had them. In both colors too. I like the blue a lot more than the white. The phone feels really sturdy and nice. Want to pick one up now. Bet the red will be sweet too.

Tmobile is not cheaper than Verizon. He was calculating the plan and did not include the 20 a month we'd have to pay per phone which brought it up to the same price I'm paying for Verizon.

mike23

Scrolled past that fairly quickly and thought "Oh shit, he broke the screen already"

Been eligible for upgrade (on Verizon) for a while now and finally pulled the trigger on Monday for my brother and myself. Finally got sick enough of my Incredible 1 rebooting every time I do something CPU intensive or let the sun warm it up for a few minutes.

Zaptruder

Banned

Overall i like it. <3

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I am getting the cell standby issue as well. I got the canadian version. It says the battery is being used 70% by cell standby???

The battery seems to last the whole day but its wierd that it can go down 5% in a few minutes. WTF is going on?

Top Bottom