• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Seanbob11

I don't know if I'm having the issue too. The battery can last all day but cell standby is a lot higher than anything else. I've got the UK version.

Nssdd.png
nwv79.png

AndyD

aka andydumi
Its not. The phones have all been available for testing and certification for months. This is purely a manufacturing problem.

Or is it an artificial delay for them to put in place the shared plans?

I don't know if I'm having the issue too. The battery can last all day but cell standby is a lot higher than anything else. I've got the UK version.

Try battery monitor widget. It will show you power usage. Idle should use probably 20 mA or less based on every other phone out there.

yogloo

My case came in today. it does include a front screen protector (it doesn't completely cover the whole front. Just cut out enough where it protects the area the case doesn't touch.

As for the case itself. it's a silicone sleeve with a hard back.
It doesn't actually add that much bulk or weight to it.

I'll be honest. it's hard to put on. am sure it's hard to get off if you're into buying the silicone sleeve for it.

Overall i like it. <3

it's on the free apps here too (US)

Why do you do this to such a beautiful phone. :|

CyReN

I need to get a new phone in August, It's a tossup between this or the iPhone 4s from Sprint. I currently have the HTC Evo, good phone overall but the battery is complete shit. Any help me out?

I need to get a new phone in August, It's a tossup between this or the iPhone 4s from Sprint. I currently have the HTC Evo, good phone overall but the battery is complete shit. Any help me out?

iPhone 5 will be out in September so you may wait for that. The new EVO LTE looks pretty slick too.

Why do you do this to such a beautiful phone. :|
he probably works in construction. I mean....right?

wait for new iphone/new nexus phone and decide then. Buy a new battery in the meantime.

MrHicks

Banned
probably been said a million times but DAMN does this make IOS/iphone look stale

in the comparison videos on youtube you almost feel sorry for iphone
im talking purely on the OS side (not screen,hardware specs,etc)

Unicorn

That makes no sense considering you've been able to pre-order it from Verizon for weeks.

People that were privy to the bullshit would have. Any other person would be like, well, damn, I have Verizon but don't want to switch carriers just because I want a phone a few weeks earlier.

greyshark

People that were privy to the bullshit would have. Any other person would be like, well, damn, I have Verizon but don't want to switch carriers just because I want a phone a few weeks earlier.

I don't understand your point. People won't switch from Verizon just to get a phone 2 weeks earlier - how is this an example of a person not 'privy to the bullshit'?

If you're theorizing that it's because Verizon is trying to 'trick' people into staying with them but costing them unlimited data, I think you're reaching. Verizon's been heavily promoting the GS3 all over their website for awhile now - with clear indications of pre-ordering directly in their ads.

MrJames

Got mine on Thursday and have been copying everything over from my Evo 4G. This is my first hands on with ICS so I'm just now getting used to some of the changes. Overall I love it but I've had some bugs to work through.

- After installing Winamp for some reason the phone vibrated to the beat of the music. Annoying and put a hurting on battery life. I went into settings/sounds/auto haptic and checked then unchecked the app to fix it in case anyone else has this issue.

- They changed the way USB works. I can no longer set it to charge only which I used when connecting my Evo at work. Is there a way to lockout connected devices while charging?

- When you enter the music player through the widget or notification bar, it's missing the top bar in the app.

When you open the app
fuxOl.png

When you go to the app from the widget or notification bar
4Nhu5.png

rc213

Loving the phone a lot so far just a few issues/quirks.

Anyone know how to backup personal stuff, I was using synctoy but the phone/sdcard no longer mounts as mass storage. So anyone know of an easy way to backup stuff that supports MTP.

TimeKillr

I am getting the cell standby issue as well. I got the canadian version. It says the battery is being used 70% by cell standby???

The battery seems to last the whole day but its wierd that it can go down 5% in a few minutes. WTF is going on?

Well you don't have the issue I had.

Essentially, I had to reboot my phone and my crazy backup process went away.

What you need to get is CPU Spy (at least) - let it run for a while while you let your phone rest and check if it's in Deep Sleep most of the time. If it is, you're fine - if it's not, you have a problem.

Mine was NEVER going into deep sleep. As in ever. But rebooting fixed it, for some strange reason.

If it doesn't go into deep sleep, then you can install Betterbatterystats and check out what's waking it.

BTW, being in cell standby for like 90% is the best you want - this screen shows you how the different processes using the battery, but not as a whole, only for the current amount it's consuming the battery. If very little of the battery is used, of course the cell standby will be using most of it. :)

sun-drop

i got my sena ultra slim last week ..dam it's tight, actually i had to return the 1st one they sent because it just wouldn't fit. this one does, just. after i left it all night with a draw fill of cutlery stuffed in it :/

just flashed the latest samsung rom I9300XXALF6 (euro/quad)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

holy hell this phone flies ... so liquid smooth. home button to multitask-er included .

kehs

Banned
i got my sena ultra slim last week ..dam it's tight, actually i had to return the 1st one they sent because it just wouldn't fit. this one does, just. after i left it all night with a draw fill of cutlery stuffed in it :/

just flashed the latest samsung rom I9300XXALF6 (euro/quad)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646610

holy hell this phone flies ... so liquid smooth. home button to multitask-er included .

The case will loosened up a lot after about a week.

Ok...switching to Sprint from VMobile this week. Either this or the Evo; Evo's 100, this is 200. I'd like the nicer camera of the Evo, but would prefer Samsung's enhancements, if they're good enough that I don't have to tinker with the ROM and whatnot.

Still so undecided; can't figure it out until I try em both on for size. :mad:

barrin87

Just got back from the Sprint store not too long ago with my Galaxy S3!!!

Paid $179 for the phone since I turned in my EVO and bought a screen protector. Thought it was nice of the guy there because he took out the stock 8GB SD card from my EVO and put it in my S3 for me so I got an extra 8GB for free.

I am thinking about buying the Belkin clear case for my S3 so I can still show off the nice blue color.

Seguin

Banned
Huh. So I thought I was finally going to bite and get a smart phone since the SIII looks so rad, and went to the Verizon store and a 2GB data plan is 30 dollars a month? WHAT THE FUCK? I'll be honest, I haven't paid attention to smart phones at all until now, but that's absolutely ridiculous. I don't know how the hell they can get away with that kind of robbery.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Huh. So I thought I was finally going to bite and get a smart phone since the SIII looks so rad, and went to the Verizon store and a 2GB data plan is 30 dollars a month? WHAT THE FUCK? I'll be honest, I haven't paid attention to smart phones at all until now, but that's absolutely ridiculous. I don't know how the hell they can get away with that kind of robbery.

you want to see ridiculous? come to canada. id jump at 2gb lte for 30 a month

Slizz

It's already in stores if you're on Sprint. Best Buy is saying they won't sell the AT&T version until AT&T gives them a launch date even if they have them in stock.

Thanks, I was wondering what was up on BestBuy.com. Kept saying it was available then I would click the AT&T version and it would say unavailable.

Toki767

Thanks, I was wondering what was up on BestBuy.com. Kept saying it was available then I would click the AT&T version and it would say unavailable.
At this point it seems like both Best Buy and AT&T have botched the release with the lack of information between one another and the consumers. If you want the phone ASAP just order from AT&T through 611 or online and they usually ship it out the same day if not the day after.

I wanted this phone for a long time.. and I finally held one today.. with two hands. So I bought a used Nexus S (for $150) which had already been upgraded to ice cream sandwich. Love it so far. I couldn't imagine the S III as a device for every day though.. its more like a tablet.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Got mine yesterday from T-mobile. Really bites paying full price, but I couldn't stop myself.

Thanks for doing this. Now it will be on sale for $150 within two weeks and I can pick it up.

Edit: Oh do you mean full off contract price?

Toki767

wait is it in stores yet ? verizon ? ATT ? on display ?

In stores for T-Mobile and Sprint. Verizon's release date is July 9th I think?

AT&T's release date was seemingly June 21 since that's when Premiere AT&T account members had been getting phones, but every brick and mortar store including AT&T and Best Buy seem to think AT&T hasn't officially announced a launch date yet.

Bottom line: If you want to see the phone in person, go to a T-Mobile or Sprint store.

Emily Chu

Banned
In stores for T-Mobile and Sprint. Verizon's release date is July 9th I think?

AT&T's release date was seemingly June 21 since that's when Premiere AT&T account members had been getting phones, but every brick and mortar store including AT&T and Best Buy seem to think AT&T hasn't officially announced a launch date yet.

Bottom line: If you want to see the phone in person, go to a T-Mobile or Sprint store.

Awesome you hear that Android boy we are going to the sprint store tomorrow !!!

LM4sure

Banned
My contract with Sprint is up in a couple of weeks. Should I get this on Verizon or AT&T? Sprint's LTE network is non-existent and I needs me some LTE!

rozay

Banned
They just rolled out more expensive data plans 2 days ago, but yeah that's the standard price for data on a major carrier for the most part.

Wads

Banned
Thanks for doing this. Now it will be on sale for $150 within two weeks and I can pick it up.

Edit: Oh do you mean full off contract price?

Brave soldier, its one of the most expensive models too.

I paid 230 down and installments of 20. Only way they would let me on the value plan. I did get a 50 dollar credit from them because I called complain ing about my HTC amaze and how it's been acting since the ICS update. So I guess technically I didn't pay 100%...

barrin87

My contract with Sprint is up in a couple of weeks. Should I get this on Verizon or AT&T? Sprint's LTE network is non-existent and I needs me some LTE!

I would stick with Sprint personally. They had Wiimax 4G already but their 4G LTE won't be out until a little later on this year. They have the best data prices though since they actually have unlimited.

StuBurns

Banned
My MTP woes are no more, upgraded to W7, removed all the driver shit, plugged it in, and no problems at all. I'm ready to flick the bean on it's arrival.

barrin87

Galaxy SIII vs Galaxy Nexus? Which would you guys choose?

Doesn't Apple have an injunction filed against the Galaxy Nexus currently so it's off the market?

How is everyone's battery life on the S3? Today is my first full day to use the phone so I am not sure how it is yet. I have surfed the net, played some games, went a FB a couple times, watched a video, downloaded an app, and streamed music for a couple of hours. I am sitting at 61% battery life so far and have had the phone unplugged from charging for about 8 hours.

StuBurns

Banned
If this image is an accurate depiction of the disparity in displays, I think it's a clear win for the S3.

800px-Samsung_Galaxy_S_III_and_Galaxy_Nexus.jpg

I don't like the way the Nexus feels in your hand, but I've not tried the OS.

Bruiserk

I guess the two big issues are of course:

- Timely updates (with the Nexus being the winner here)
- Feel of the touchwiz OS from Samsung. Does it feel cluttered/bloated? Nexus seems to have a bit more of a minimalist feel.

Top Bottom