• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

kehs

Banned
Turning off the nav bar and using lmt.apk is even better

Full screen nexus fuck yeah
Home back and task keys as pie controls.ftw

Think.ics stock.browser pie controls but for the 3 or more nav buttons

This post just made me a little warm. I need details like iOS needs another Jobs.

tokkun

So I currently own both the HOX and Sg3 and I am really torn on which to keep. On one hand the HOX is a beautiful device and both the screen and camera are leagues above the s3 imo. On the other hand the s3 is clearly a faster and smoother device. I like the notification light, the physical home button, the location of the power button plus it's quite comfortable to hold. The multitasking crushes the hox as well I never have any reloads for Web pages or caching for maps when switching back this was very annoying on the hox.

Then the battery life, I live in an lte area and am constantly pulling down data via lte. The hox gives me about 3 hours of screen time before it craps out and the s3 is giving me about 4.

I average significantly faster data speeds on the Hox and find my signal is both stronger and latches on faster on the hox.

I do take a lot of pictures with my phone and I find the camera quality of the s3, especially in low light to be really lacking and comparable to the Iphone 4.

I feel as if everything hardware related the one x nailed, But everything software related the s3 seems to have the upper hand on.

Have you tried custom ROMs for the One X? Seems like that might solve the smoothness/multitasking issues.

So I currently own both the HOX and Sg3 and I am really torn on which to keep. On one hand the HOX is a beautiful device and both the screen and camera are leagues above the s3 imo. On the other hand the s3 is clearly a faster and smoother device. I like the notification light, the physical home button, the location of the power button plus it's quite comfortable to hold. The multitasking crushes the hox as well I never have any reloads for Web pages or caching for maps when switching back this was very annoying on the hox.

Then the battery life, I live in an lte area and am constantly pulling down data via lte. The hox gives me about 3 hours of screen time before it craps out and the s3 is giving me about 4.

I average significantly faster data speeds on the Hox and find my signal is both stronger and latches on faster on the hox.

I do take a lot of pictures with my phone and I find the camera quality of the s3, especially in low light to be really lacking and comparable to the Iphone 4.

I feel as if everything hardware related the one x nailed, But everything software related the s3 seems to have the upper hand on.

how much better is the reception on the HOX?

Im getting my GS3 this week or next and I too will either get rid of the HOX or keep it both.

I'm using custom ROM on the HOX and its been really smooth, with not a hint of lag. There's also a mod to improve the multitasking function.

Have you tried custom ROMs for the One X? Seems like that might solve the smoothness/multitasking issues.

I just downloaded clean rom 3.1 and ill give that a fair shake but the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the s3.

As for better radios, I can go from airplane mode to downloading data much faster on the hox, the gps tracks in about half the time and my average data speed is about 40% faster from the same place and time. L

Trident case - Aegis Series is available to buy. just ordered me a red. this series adds bulk btw. but it feels great in the hand (Going by the S2)

will eventually buy the kraken when it's out so i can get a kick stand.

http://www.tridenteer.com/categories/Samsung-Galaxy-S3/
AG-I9300-RD04__02191_zoom.png

Ecto311

Anyone else with this phone notice the battery going down for nothing? The usage shows Cell Standby as the biggest user of the battery. Googling shows that its an error in the reporting. Does that mean I actually have more batter than is showing or that something different is using it? My 2 yr old iphone4 had a better days battery when this thing was supposed to be a beast on the battery with the dual core.

Att S3 by the way.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Just curious, but this phone has been released already in the US? I'm currently elegible to upgrade from AT&T. I currently own an iPhone 4, but I'm willing to switch over to Android as the Samsung Galaxy S3 is so damn sexy looking.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Anyone else with this phone notice the battery going down for nothing? The usage shows Cell Standby as the biggest user of the battery. Googling shows that its an error in the reporting. Does that mean I actually have more batter than is showing or that something different is using it? My 2 yr old iphone4 had a better days battery when this thing was supposed to be a beast on the battery with the dual core.

Att S3 by the way.

It's a bug, check XDA

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just curious, but this phone has been released already in the US? I'm currently elegible to upgrade from AT&T. I currently own an iPhone 4, but I'm willing to switch over to Android as the Samsung Galaxy S3 is so damn sexy looking.

Yes but it is pretty hard to get a hold of right now.

TimeKillr

Just came back home with mine! Me and my GF both got one - she has the white 16gb model and I got the blue 16gb.

We sort of pre-ordered at a Rogers kiosk in a shitty mall, and we got the first two. The manager told us he got a grand total of 5 phones... My guess is they're gonna be impossible to find!

Omzz

I wasn't so lucky...

Wanted to get a White 32GB or even 16GB would be fine. Didn't have those. Guess I'll see how this week goes. Not really a fan of the Pebble Blue.

atomsk

Party Pooper
got my knock-off 12 dollar flip-case in the mail today, really liking it so far

overall I don't have any complaints about the battery life, but I haven't put it through any real heavy non-wifi use (but my cell signal in my house is reallllll shitty), it's been good so far

It's a bug, check XDA

Yeah it doesn't look right does it. But still, I'm currently rocking 21% left after 39hrs on normal to heavy use. I do turn wi-fi off and put airplane mode on when I go to bed though. When I wake up, I'll have nearly 50hrs on a single charge, with about 18% left.

That aint bad.

rozay

Banned
I wonder how Google Now will work on this phone since the Home button is a physical button.
samsung already has S Iri S Voice though, why would they want to subject their users to something that isn't convienently laid out like an apple product?

Toki767

samsung already has S Iri S Voice though, why would they want to subject their users to something that isn't convienently laid out like an apple product?

Google Now isn't the voice assistant though. It's more of a physical assistant that you just swipe up to see.

I guess it probably is just a regular app though.

Absinthe

A buddy of mine brought this phone into work today, and we realized one problem with the screen.

With the brightness on 100%, and auto-brightness disabled, it seems like there is an autodim on websites with more white space. When you go to a darker website, the whites are much brighter, but with a site that has more white, like theverge.com, the whites are more dim. Then when closing out, the entire site gets full brightness for a split second and the browser closes.

Anyone else seeing this issue? Should he try to get a replacement when they're back in stock?

A buddy of mine brought this phone into work today, and we realized one problem with the screen.

With the brightness on 100%, and auto-brightness disabled, it seems like there is an autodim on websites with more white space. When you go to a darker website, the whites are much brighter, but with a site that has more white, like theverge.com, the whites are more dim. Then when closing out, the entire site gets full brightness for a split second and the browser closes.

Anyone else seeing this issue? Should he try to get a replacement when they're back in stock?

It's not an issue. The browser has a seperate brightness option in the settings.

rozay

Banned

this sounds like some kind of power saving feature for me, AMOLED screens drain battery like crazy when large parts of the screen are white.

Ecto311

I remember seeing in the screen settings "adjust screen tone" with the description: "save power by adjusting screen tone according to analysis of images"

Could that be doing it?

Nakazato

Not going to lie. see jelly bean has scared me off from the s3 due to ATT horrid ability to update. I had to wait almost 2 years for ginger bread

Gattsu25

Banned
Due to some bullshit I might have to stick with AT&T

Fucking dicks

Anyway, is there any hope that the AT&T SGS3 will get Jelly Bean before the end of the century?

Drensch

Are there any other big competitors to the SGSIII expected to drop this year? My contract is up soon, and I don't know if it's worth waiting to see, or if I should just reup and be in on early adopter fun.

ukas

Are there any other big competitors to the SGSIII expected to drop this year? My contract is up soon, and I don't know if it's worth waiting to see, or if I should just reup and be in on early adopter fun.

Possibly the HTC One XXL if the rumors prove to be true. Whether it will show up on all carriers like the GS3 has yet to be seen.

Toki767

The biggest competitor will probably be whatever the next Nexus phone will be when it gets announced probably in October.

rozay

Banned
Due to some bullshit I might have to stick with AT&T

Fucking dicks

Anyway, is there any hope that the AT&T SGS3 will get Jelly Bean before the end of the century?
I think there is, the fact that Samsung has a phone with virtually identical branding and image across all 4 carriers for the first time means they might have better luck pushing updates through the carriers faster.

Damn it. i guess if my captivate can hold out just a lil longer Oct-Nov will be worth it
the new nexus(es) will be out by then

Nakazato

I guarantee they'll have Jelly Bean running on the Captivate by then too.

lol

I think there is, the fact that Samsung has a phone with virtually identical branding and image across all 4 carriers for the first time means they might have better luck pushing updates through the carriers faster.

the new nexus(es) will be out by then

As long as they are not overly pricey ill buy one. Still need a Battery that will get me a 12-13 hours of use.

I might just have to buy a extended battery for my captivate and roll until the next nexus or there is a good deal on S3 or One X

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
lol

As long as they are not overly pricey ill buy one. Still need a Battery that will get me a 12-13 hours of use.

I might just have to buy a extended battery for my captivate and roll until the next nexus or there is a good deal on S3 or One X

Amazon has the One X for $120... Not sure if that's a good deal, but that IS $80 cheaper than the initial launch AT&T price (though Amazon sold it for $150) and $80 less than the S3.

I'm in a similar situation though, and I don't want to buy one of these two and get totally boned from getting Jelly Bean sometime this century.

tokkun

I just downloaded clean rom 3.1 and ill give that a fair shake but the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the s3.

As for better radios, I can go from airplane mode to downloading data much faster on the hox, the gps tracks in about half the time and my average data speed is about 40% faster from the same place and time. L

I'll be interested to hear your opinion. I'm currently trying to decide between the GSIII and the Evo LTE.

Top Bottom