• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

TimeKillr

So I love my S3, but I have a major problem.

I did the Kies backup to send all my SMS to my S3 from my iPhone.

Now, though.. I had 20k messages.... It seems to have transfered about 3k or so (it says I have around 3000 unread messages) but any time I open up the messaging app it hangs or crashes.

Is my only solution to just... install an app that will delete most of my texts on my S3? I mean, 20k texts on my iPhone ran super smoothly and such, and I refuse to believe such a powerful phone as what I got can't run that...

Darkkn

I wonder if the Google Now is going to come to this phone since it overlaps with s-voice... Samsung, don't fuck this up.

I think OEM:s get that people want newest OS and i would guess that these hero devices get JB way faster than what it took to make the transition to ICS.

rc213

Got my T-Mobile Galaxy SIII shipped overnight, Now watch UPS be dicks and drop off my phone at 8pm.

16GB Pebble Blue.

VanWinkle

I hope Samsung actually updates this phone to Jelly Bean in a respectable timeframe. Not only that, but I really hope they actually keep the new Jelly Bean features in (improved notifications, widget scaling stuff, Google Now and the improved voice features, etc).

I hope Samsung actually updates this phone to Jelly Bean in a respectable timeframe. Not only that, but I really hope they actually keep the new Jelly Bean features in (improved notifications, widget scaling stuff, Google Now and the improved voice features, etc).

i dunno about the widget scaling if they insist on continuing with their touchwiz launcher. the others should be safe bets.

VanWinkle

I just saw this in a Verizon ad on Hulu. Please don't tell me Verizon put their stupid logo on the front of this phone :(

i5AzoyY5S625s.JPG

Shadybiz

Popping in to subscribe.

My wife and I are preordering our S3's this weekend (Verizon). I don't even really need a new phone; my Incredible has treated me well, but DAT 4.8" screen, etc. Her Motorola Droid 2 has been just twitchy as hell for months, so her body is ready for a new phone.

Seanbob11

Got my pebble blue 16GB today. Free on £34 a month with unlimited data and tethering. I'm happy with that. Moving from an iPhone 4 and I can already see how fast this thing is.

As others have said, I never delete the texts. I don't know if it's related to the amount of texts or if there's been corruption somewhere, but we'll see. I got an app that should help with that.

Let me know if you figure out a solution. I have the exact same problem. The only difference is mine are only about 5k texts.

Slizz

Is there a decent case for this that has the same look as the Pebble Blue phone back? Shame to get that color and have to cover it up and not see the finish.

Paznos

I just saw this in a Verizon ad on Hulu. Please don't tell me Verizon put their stupid logo on the front of this phone :(

i5AzoyY5S625s.JPG

In that same ad they show the GS3 with onscreen buttons..... so yeah.

There isn't a logo on the phones that are on Verizon's website and other people who claim to have seen the Verizon version say it's on the back like all the others.

Davidion

With all the availability issues, jelly bean announcements, and the nexus price drops, I've been considering dropping the GS3 for a galaxy nexus instead. Oh, decisions...

rozay

Banned
So is this how the ROMS start? Or does Google need to release the source code first?
Roms themselves can be built from the 4.1 source code, but Samsung has to release their 4.1 update before you get one that works 100% with everything (even then, stock android on the GS2 had a bunch of missing features)

SDK ports will not lead to usable roms.

Reseil

Yup.

What is the reason for the hold up? Expecting people to wait for the unlimited to die before getting it and renewing?

I think it's just a hardware shortage based on demand. Since Verizon clarified that you can keep your unlimited plan, that probably isn't the case. Not sure how many people will shell out full price for this thing, but I'm guessing it's just too much demand and not enough supply.

Toki767

So it's probably safe to say most Best Buys and AT&T/Sprint stores won't have this thing available today for walk-ins. Probably not even for pre-orders.

vDaedalus

When will this phone likely be available for walk-ins? Also, are you guys happy with the pebble blue color? I'm not sure which to get...

So it's probably safe to say most Best Buys and AT&T/Sprint stores won't have this thing available today for walk-ins. Probably not even for pre-orders.

sprint stores will have this around july 1st. at least from twitter they said.

When will this phone likely be available for walk-ins? Also, are you guys happy with the pebble blue color? I'm not sure which to get...

i like it. the brushed look looks awesome. too bad i'm covering it up with a case lol.

VanWinkle

In that same ad they show the GS3 with onscreen buttons..... so yeah.

There isn't a logo on the phones that are on Verizon's website and other people who claim to have seen the Verizon version say it's on the back like all the others.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just Verizon trying to make sure everyone knows which carrier it is for the commercials. Although I can't shake this feeling of dread that this is why they are a couple of weeks later getting the phone out than everyone else.

Hey DMPrince, how are you liking the phone in general? Is everything fluid UI-wise on the US versions?

Jerrod

My friend got his yesterday and he loves it. I'm waiting until the red one comes out to get it even though I know I'm going to put a case on it and cover up most if not all of the color.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just Verizon trying to make sure everyone knows which carrier it is for the commercials. Although I can't shake this feeling of dread that this is why they are a couple of weeks later getting the phone out than everyone else.

Hey DMPrince, how are you liking the phone in general? Is everything fluid UI-wise on the US versions?

fluid. haven't done anything to heavy on it. but from what i've tried it's fast and going from ap p to home screen and pulling up the app drawer. one thing about my EVO 4G is the laggy feel to the keyboard (i've tried all kinds of keyboards) but they never seem to feel right. but on this. so good. Everything seem to be responsive and all my data are synched properly.

Ephemeris

Galaxy S III variants got last-minute RAM upgrade 'to be future-proof' for Jelly Bean

With the ink still drying on Google's announcement of Android 4.1 today, we've received word from a trusted source that Samsung made a late adjustment to the Galaxy S III's specs (in some markets, anyway) to accommodate whatever it was that Jelly Bean would demand. We're told that Samsung was intent on designing the phone to be "future-proof" — it didn't want to be left flat-footed in the wake of a new Android version announcement spaced just days apart from the Galaxy S III's US launches, presumably. The problem was that company's engineers weren't "100 percent sure" of Jelly Bean's final hardware requirements, so they upped the internal RAM to 2GB to hedge their bets.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, I've been using my S3 for almost a week now, and I have to say, I love it. I came from WP7 Samsung Focus, and I must say I'm glad I did. The phone is a joy to use, is super fast, and I'm enjoying Android very much on a phone (already had a Galaxy Tab).

Iceman

Got my pebble blue 16GB today. Free on £34 a month with unlimited data and tethering. I'm happy with that. Moving from an iPhone 4 and I can already see how fast this thing is.

Wha? Is there a similar deal anywhere in the US? (preferably southern california).

Top Bottom