• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

AndyD

aka andydumi
I know this isn't exactly the place for this question, but I figure someone will know the answer. I'm looking to get one of the unlocked Galaxy Nexus devices from the Play store. If I did is it as simple as throwing my AT&T sim card into the phone and hitting go? I've never bought a phone off contract before.

Yes. You are better off asking in the general Android thread or the Nexus thread though.

kyan-

Banned
I love this phone since I got it on 6/21 (Att). Only costed me 49.99 too! Ill soon post screenies for my rom I am doing at the moment.

Unicorn

I love this phone since I got it on 6/21 (Att). Only costed me 49.99 too! Ill soon post screenies for my rom I am doing at the moment.

Can someone point me to the thread about doing this sort of thing? I didn't bother with my first smart phone, but I definitely want to do it once I get my S3.

I mean, the whole rooting and loading custom roms on there to have different versions of Android on there, etc.

kyan-

Banned
How'd you get it for so cheap?

Get a good friend working for att. :>

Unicorn: It's an epic trip. Trust me, I've been doing it since galaxy s and I'm still learning because Samsung/Google is always changing. But its really fun and rewarding. xda is your friend (and enemy).

Marven

I got my shipping notification email from Verizon a few hours ago and it's going to arrive on Thursday. Sweet, I can't wait.

kehs

Banned
I held this thing today, those keys are way too low.

T-Mobile has a broken unit though so I didn't get a chance to regret my nexus screen.

tenchir

Just got a white S3 today because my GN died. Man I hate the TouchWiz UI. Is there a good 3rd party launcher to get back to vanilla ICS UI?

Toki767

I just read that the 1GB RAM international model was faster than the 2GB? Is this true?

I want to buy one of these outright.

Faster in that a quad core is faster than a dual core, probably. 2GB of RAM though basically means you never have to manually close any apps.

Argyle

Just got a white S3 today because my GN died. Man I hate the TouchWiz UI. Is there a good 3rd party launcher to get back to vanilla ICS UI?

Don't have an S3 but does this work?

Settings->Applications->All->TwLauncher->Clear Defaults

Press the home key and it should prompt you to choose which launcher to use, check "Launcher" and "Always use..." and you should be on the stock ICS launcher.

saunderez

Apex Launcher's been fine for me. You can try Nova Launcher as well. Those are the only two ICS launchers I believe. Or maybe just the only two worth using.

There's also Trebuchet as well which is the CM9 stock Launcher. I'd stick with one of those 3 though.

kyan-

Banned
Heres my rom so far~
2IrHj.png
gB9kn.png

9fG2l.png
GWxYy.png

Desperado

Aaaghhhh. I have an upgrade coming on August 30. I'm so ready to dump my Droid Incredible that is incapable of running the update to Gingerbread, is constantly "low on space" even though I have 500MB of internal storage open, and has a cracked screen. And now will not receive texts.
#firstworldproblems, I know
Though I thought I was going to have to wait until December until about a week ago, so that was a nice surprise.

Has anyone found the phone/screen to actually be too big? I figure it may be a bit of a shock to go from 3.7" to 4.8".

Emily Chu

Banned
Aaaghhhh. I have an upgrade coming on August 30. I'm so ready to dump my Droid Incredible that is incapable of running the update to Gingerbread, is constantly "low on space" even though I have 500MB of internal storage open, and has a cracked screen. And now will not receive texts.
Though I thought I was going to have to wait until December until about a week ago, so that was a nice surprise.

Has anyone found the phone/screen to actually be too big? I figure it may be a bit of a shock to go from 3.7" to 4.8".

no such thing you'll love, get use to the screen within a week

then it's almost impossible to go back to a smaller phone

heck the new Galaxy Note 2 will be 5.5" and that is srsly pushing it

Toki767

It's big, but it's still manageable with one hand for me so it doesn't seem too big.

tenchir

Ordered a frost clear Diztronic TPU case for the S3, I hope that it is as good as the one they made for the galaxy nexus.

tenchir

What are your issues with the TouchWiz UI?

Takes an extra step to create a folder for an example. Instead of dragging an icon into another to create a folder, you have to select that icon from the app wall menu, then drag it to "create folder", then drag the other icons you want into that folder. Changing wallpaper is also a hassle, you can't do it from the homescreen now. I guess it's all the small annoyances that adds up that causes me to dislike it.

Bruiserk

Takes an extra step to create a folder for an example. Instead of dragging an icon into another to create a folder, you have to select that icon from the app wall menu, then drag it to "create folder", then drag the other icons you want into that folder. Changing wallpaper is also a hassle, you can't do it from the homescreen now. I guess it's all the small annoyances that adds up that causes me to dislike it.

That's all it ever is.

Ugh, I can't decide between these two phones.

I know, I know, first world problems. Come at me, GAF.

You can change you homescreen or lockscreen wallpaper directly from any screen by holding down your finger on any empty part of the screen. You then get several options including change homescreen wallpaper, change lockscreen wallpaper, or both. You also have an option 'add to home screen' where you add either your shortcuts/widgets/folders/pages.

Yup, I saw an app called TouchWiz Home, tried clearing that one, but it doesn't work.

Once you install any other launcher, when pressing the home button, you should then get an option of what launcher to use and then make it default by putting the tick in the box.

If you dont get that option, then goto settings>Application Manager>[All]>Touchwiz Home>Clear Defaults button.

Then press the home button again and you'll get those options. If not, the look at the defaults for apex launcher in the same menu.

surly

Banned
Give Apex a try. It allows you to create folders just by dragging and dropping one icon onto another, plus you can customise how folders look. You can also change the wallpaper by double-tapping on a blank area of any screen and choosing "Wallpaper" or by pressing the menu button, plus you can fully customise the menu that pops up when you do that.

It has a ton of other features, including allowing you to change the size of the grid on the home screens, you change the name/icon on any app, you can select from various animations for home screens and the app drawer, you can have 1x1 widgets in the dock, you can add unread message/call missed counters to any app shortcut you like, you can resize any widget, overlap widgets etc. and it's really snappy too.

There's a free version, although the unread message/call missed icon counters and some of the transition animations are only available in the paid-for version, but it's cheap. It's easy to set it as your default launcher too, so you never have to deal with TouchWiz again if you don't want to.

Bruiserk

What do you guys mean by 'launcher'? Is that a whole OS revamp you are talking about or something that offers slight differences?

surly

Banned
What do you guys mean by 'launcher'? Is that a whole OS revamp you are talking about or something that offers slight differences?
A launcher is like a custom UI that sits on top of Android. TouchWiz is an example of one, as is HTC Sense on HTC phones, but they're not particularly good examples as many people seem to dislike them. Apex and Nova are both really good IMO, and are designed for ICS devices.

This is probably the craziest one I've seen, although I found it too complicated to use and it's also expensive: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYzYQ6YtepU

I use Apex because it basically adds extra options and functionality, but without changing the fundamental way you do things (other than making certain tasks simpler).

Most launchers are either free or they have a free version that has a couple of features locked behind a pay wall. You can easily test a launcher out by downloading it from the market, then instead of pressing "Open" once it's installed, press the home key on your phone. It will ask which launcher you want to use, so choose the one you just installed and then you can play around with it. Any customisations you make while using that launcher do not affect your home screens in the standard launcher/UI, so if you don't like the new one, uninstalling it will take you back to how the phone was before you installed it. If you like a particular launcher, you can make it the default.

The only thing you really lose is the odd widget, for instance, HTC Sense has some widgets that are exclusive to that launcher, so if you switched to Apex, when you look at your widget list the HTC Sense widgets would not be available to add to your home screens, but you can usually find equivalent widgets in the Google Play store.

Unicorn

A launcher is like a custom UI that sits on top of Android. TouchWiz is an example of one, as is HTC Sense on HTC phones, but they're not particularly good examples as many people seem to dislike them. Apex and Nova are both really good IMO, and are designed for ICS devices.

This is probably the craziest one I've seen, although I found it too complicated to use and it's also expensive: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYzYQ6YtepU

I use Apex because it basically adds extra options and functionality, but without changing the fundamental way you do things (other than making certain tasks simpler).

Most launchers are either free or they have a free version that has a couple of features locked behind a pay wall. You can easily test a launcher out by downloading it from the market, then instead of pressing "Open" once it's installed, press the home key on your phone. It will ask which launcher you want to use, so choose the one you just installed and then you can play around with it. Any customisations you make while using that launcher do not affect your home screens in the standard launcher/UI, so if you don't like the new one, uninstalling it will take you back to how the phone was before you installed it. If you like a particular launcher, you can make it the default.

The only thing you really lose is the odd widget, for instance, HTC Sense has some widgets that are exclusive to that launcher, so if you switched to Apex, when you look at your widget list the HTC Sense widgets would not be available to add to your home screens, but you can usually find equivalent widgets in the Google Play store.
OMG that is fucking amazing. Like, I'm blown away.

Show me more! lead me down the rabbit hole!

surly

Banned
OMG that is fucking amazing.
TSF Shell? Yeah, some of the things you can do with it are crazy.

Only thing is, it costs over £10 in the UK ($15 in the US I believe) and there's no free version to try out. It's so different from most launchers, that you really can't get a good feel for it in the 15 minute refund window. While it's impressive, it may be style over substance, so it would be nice if you could use it for a week before committing to paying for it.

As a starting point, I would recommend trying Apex. Install it, press home and choose Apex as the launcher, then it's basically like starting with a new phone - you'll have to set up your home screens again - but have a look through the menus at all of the things you can do. If you don't like it, when you uninstall it you'll be back to your TouchWiz layout again, with all of your home screens, icons and widgets intact.

Here's the free version of Apex: -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anddoes.launcher&hl=en

And if you like it, it's worth dropping the £2.49 on the Pro version to unlock the extra features: -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anddoes.launcher.pro

Here's one called Launcher 7 that makes your phone look like Windows Phone 7: -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.tikuwarez.launcher3

It's pretty cool to play with, but I couldn't use it as my default launcher.

tenchir

Once you install any other launcher, when pressing the home button, you should then get an option of what launcher to use and then make it default by putting the tick in the box.

If you dont get that option, then goto settings>Application Manager>[All]>Touchwiz Home>Clear Defaults button.

Then press the home button again and you'll get those options. If not, the look at the defaults for apex launcher in the same menu.

Clear default is greyed out. I reinstalled Apex again and when I hit the home button, only Apex and Touchwiz show up as launcher.

Unicorn

TSF Shell? Yeah, some of the things you can do with it are crazy.

Only thing is, it costs over £10 in the UK ($15 in the US I believe) and there's no free version to try out. It's so different from most launchers, that you really can't get a good feel for it in the 15 minute refund window. While it's impressive, it may be style over substance, so it would be nice if you could use it for a week before committing to paying for it.

As a starting point, I would recommend trying Apex. Install it, press home and choose Apex as the launcher, then it's basically like starting with a new phone - you'll have to set up your home screens again - but have a look through the menus at all of the things you can do. If you don't like it, when you uninstall it you'll be back to your TouchWiz layout again, with all of your home screens, icons and widgets intact.

15 minute? Last time I bought something off the market I had 24 hours. They change that?

Does the windows 7 one actually have the same functionality? Mainly Zune integration?

Picking up this (AU quad-core) or the HTC One X outright next week. I'm upgrading from the LG Optimus One, which while being a piece of shit, has a very nice messaging setup.

Can't decide which one of the two I want though. The Galaxy looks very nice and has an awesome camera, but it's $100 more.

surly

Banned
15 minute? Last time I bought something off the market I had 24 hours. They change that?
It was changed in winter of 2010. Perhaps it varies from country to country, but it's definitely 15 minutes here in the UK and has been for a long time.

Clear default is greyed out. I reinstalled Apex again and when I hit the home button, only Apex and Touchwiz show up as launcher.

Thats right then? If you only have those 2 installed, then you'll only have them to choose. If you want APEX, put the tick in and then select it.

Once that choice has been made, only then can you clear that default seletion via the applications menu settings.

Beware of versions when using the various root methods out there!

Yes that's a very good point. Don't go trying to flash roms meant for the international version for the US versions or anything like that. The tool that I linked to should make distinctions when you run it, but when all else fails, be careful.

Thanks for the advice, guys! One final question, how is the Samsung software that comes with the phone? I'm only used to Motorola phones that come with the atrocious Motoblur or whatever its called. Is Samsung software tolerable?

surly

Banned
Does anyone know how to change the icons for the apps on the lock screen? I know how to change which apps are listed there, but I can't see how to change the actual icon for a given app.

I'm using Apex Launcher, so I've changed some of the icons for apps on my home screen, but on the lock screen the original icons are still showing and it would be nice to change them so that they match.

Thanks for the advice, guys! One final question, how is the Samsung software that comes with the phone? I'm only used to Motorola phones that come with the atrocious Motoblur or whatever its called. Is Samsung software tolerable?

Some are alright. S Planner I think is better than stock calendar. S Memo is OK and S Voice is a novelty.

They took away Messaging though which was on the S2 :(

Top Bottom