• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

TimeKillr

I like xda and what they're doing, but I'm still miffed that they still don't seem to recognize the canadian devices are slightly different from the US devices.

The Rogers base ROM, for example, has LTE-lockout and tethering fully enabled. I'm afraid as all hell to root and install shit meant for the AT&T version because it'll kill the warranty on my phone, and unless I can almost guarantee it's not gonna kill it I don't want to risk it :(

Still, for all the good I hear about it, I can't wait until Cyanogenmod is ported to the GS3. Getting rid of touchwiz + the shitty bloatware is the first thing I want to do - I'm certain some of that shit is eating up more battery life than is necessary. There's a ton of samsung and rogers bloatware running on there I just want to get rid of.

kyan-

Banned
has anybody been able to buy this phone off contract from att?

well i bought it for 49.99 with 2 yr, (i used one of my family members) and i paid 325 to etf out. so 375 for new sgs3 att. not too bad.

touchwiz has come a long way. just like android in its infancy. its a much more usable launcher now.

man android is amazing. 50gb+ dropbox for att EZ. 91.4gb now!

quaere

A launcher is like a custom UI that sits on top of Android. TouchWiz is an example of one, as is HTC Sense on HTC phones, but they're not particularly good examples as many people seem to dislike them. Apex and Nova are both really good IMO, and are designed for ICS devices.
Not that simple unfortunately, a launcher changes your home screen and app tray, but without a custom ROM you're still stuck with all the rest of the ugly from TouchWiz or Sense.

Linkhero1

My phone is coming on Thursday. Ordered it last Thursday too. I'm excited.

I haven't downloaded any apps for a year so I'm kinda excited to see what's new.

AndyD

aka andydumi
well i bought it for 49.99 with 2 yr, (i used one of my family members) and i paid 325 to etf out. so 375 for new sgs3 att. not too bad.

touchwiz has come a long way. just like android in its infancy. its a much more usable launcher now.

man android is amazing. 50gb+ dropbox for att EZ. 91.4gb now!
I thought dropbox isn't offering the 50gb in the us?

minx

Had this phone for a couple days. So amazing. Coming from an iPhone 4 I can't believe great I thought it was until I got this phone. It's weird now to hold a phone with such a small screen. Seems like a child's toy.

torontoml

Does anyone know how to close the chrome browser without going to the task manager? I try just using the back button but it stays open and I assume is killing my battery.

saunderez

And that closes it for you? It stays open when I do that and check the task manager.

That's how Android works. You don't close anything manually, the OS automatically does it when it needs memory. Just because something is in the Task Manager doesn't mean it's active.

saunderez

Doesn't that potentially make my battery life worse?

Only for apps that run background processes. Chrome isn't one of those apps. In Android a well written app will simply suspend to memory, it will no longer consume CPU cycles and will be trash collected if the system needs that memory. Of course you'll come across the odd app that doesn't behave properly but 99.99% of the time it's best to let Android handle all of that itself.

Violater

2 4g phones one sprint one verizon. the sprint phone gets .5mb/s download while the verizon gets 9mb/s wtf
does LTE make that huge a diff?

tokkun

2 4g phones one sprint one verizon. the sprint phone gets .5mb/s download while the verizon gets 9mb/s wtf
does LTE make that huge a diff?

I get around 3 Mb/s on Sprint 3G from home, but much slower speeds at work. The slower speeds are caused by there being too many people on the same tower.

Violater

I get around 3 Mb/s on Sprint 3G from home, but much slower speeds at work. The slower speeds are caused by there being too many people on the same tower.

Map of my area shows planned improvements for the next 6 months, but who knows if that will actually happen or make much of a diff.

NateDrake

Going to get this phone tomorrow from my TMobile store. What kind of amazement do I have to look forward to? Keep in my mind my current phone is a G1...

mike23

How does Verizon handle unlimited plans and 4g? Do they throttle after a few gigs or could one just download 20gigs in a month, no problem?

I've never really done more than 3gb or 4gb over 3g, and that was a while ago.

Skytylz

Banned
How does Verizon handle unlimited plans and 4g? Do they throttle after a few gigs or could one just download 20gigs in a month, no problem?

I've never really done more than 3gb or 4gb over 3g, and that was a while ago.

I'm only on 3g and I don't have proof, but I always seem to slow way down by the end of the pay period and I only use about 3gb a month.

Wads

Banned
Going to get this phone tomorrow from my TMobile store. What kind of amazement do I have to look forward to? Keep in my mind my current phone is a G1...

You shouldn't have to worry... getting a phone is super simple. It took me about 10 minutes to get mine at the T-mo store. Just popped in the sim card, signed a few papers, and I was on my way after the phone guy did some things to my account.

Toki767

Man, there goes Korea's Galaxy S III with the quad core Exynos, 2GB of RAM, and LTE. Battery life on that thing must be pretty crappy.

I wish I had it though.

I'm new to Android (ish) but I am testing a phone for work

Why is it when I'm on wifi only and no simcard I can't access the internet or setup email accounts. Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Ecto311

Ordered and got mine about a week ago. I today went into best buy and they show one on their Site available. We get there and they say they can't sell it till the 6th. Wtf is going on with this phone? So we went to the premier Site and ordered it and it will be here ASAP. I don't understand the slowdown from best buy when they have it and no pre order to hold it.

I'm new to Android (ish) but I am testing a phone for work

Why is it when I'm on wifi only and no simcard I can't access the internet or setup email accounts. Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Possibly. When I any of my android phones, I always had a few days of no SIM card but the phone was fully functional apart from receiving phone calls & SMS's.

Whats the problem?

Possibly. When I any of my android phones, I always had a few days of no SIM card but the phone was fully functional apart from receiving phone calls & SMS's.

Whats the problem?

It was my fault, I typed it in wrong.

Weird thing it didn't say the password was wrong, it connected but gave me an authentication error after a few mins

Anyway I typed it in again and it worked.

Secondly, is there a manual software update option?

Yes.

Settings > About device > Software Update > Check for updates

Oh wait, do you mean updates for your phone, or for your downloaded apps? The apps downloaded through play are managed via Play.

Toki767

Finally, is it going to be available at Best Buys tomorrow too for AT&T?

It should be if it isn't already. I walked into Best Buy on Monday and got one without preordering for AT&T. Took their last pebble blue but they still had a bunch of white.

kyan-

Banned
I like xda and what they're doing, but I'm still miffed that they still don't seem to recognize the canadian devices are slightly different from the US devices.

The Rogers base ROM, for example, has LTE-lockout and tethering fully enabled. I'm afraid as all hell to root and install shit meant for the AT&T version because it'll kill the warranty on my phone, and unless I can almost guarantee it's not gonna kill it I don't want to risk it :(

Still, for all the good I hear about it, I can't wait until Cyanogenmod is ported to the GS3. Getting rid of touchwiz + the shitty bloatware is the first thing I want to do - I'm certain some of that shit is eating up more battery life than is necessary. There's a ton of samsung and rogers bloatware running on there I just want to get rid of.

i love canadian rom support..b/c i'm pulling stuff from canadian dumps and putting on my att :)

Slizz

It should be if it isn't already. I walked into Best Buy on Monday and got one without preordering for AT&T. Took their last pebble blue but they still had a bunch of white.

Interesting the 2 closest Best Buys to me didn't have any or so they said, and didn't know when they'd be getting them...

Phoenix

Glad to see everyone is getting their phones. Hopefully you will get a chance to try them out with some of the content platforms that are out there specifically for the GS3.

7508811526_09a4fc96e2_o.jpg

7508812150_c792e6db73_o.jpg

SpecX

Verizon just emailed me that they shipped my phone!!! Currently there's no status with the tracking number, but does anyone know if they're shipping overnight or 2Day?

tokkun

Glad to see everyone is getting their phones. Hopefully you will get a chance to try them out with some of the content platforms that are out there specifically for the GS3.

Interesting means of advertising, but no way am I going to start an NFC session with something I randomly find in public.

ukas

Verizon just emailed me that they shipped my phone!!! Currently there's no status with the tracking number, but does anyone know if they're shipping overnight or 2Day?

They usually ship overnight. At least that's my experience.

TimeKillr

i love canadian rom support..b/c i'm pulling stuff from canadian dumps and putting on my att :)

I'm not surprised at that - I saw your thread on XDA and it's very nice.

Did you use the Canadian features in your rom? (LTE-blocking and tethering)

SpecX

They usually ship overnight. At least that's my experience.

I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones. FedEx updated the tracking status and it shows 2Day shipping and won't be delivered till Monday. Since FedEx has a station down the street from me, I'm going to keep an eye on the status so when they get it in, I can probably pick up myself rather than wait for Monday delivery.

Loxley

Has there been much discussion about cases for the S3 around here? I've been looking at a few different ones, the only problem is there aren't a ton of reviews out for a lot of them since the phone is still new. This Incipio case looks cool, I've also been eyeing the Otterbox case.

barrin87

Has there been much discussion about cases for the S3 around here? I've been looking at a few different ones, the only problem is there aren't a ton of reviews out for a lot of them since the phone is still new. This Incipio case looks cool, I've also been eyeing the Otterbox case.

I ordered the Belkin Grip Sheer Case for Samsung Galaxy S III / S3 (Clear) from Amazon and it should be delivered today. I was planning on putting a review up on Amazon and here once I can test it out.

Top Bottom